Frozen dog found in trash in Iowa

Frozen dog found in trash in Iowa

There are 87 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jan 11, 2010, titled Frozen dog found in trash in Iowa. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

An investigation is under way into the discovery of a frozen dog in a trash bin in Grimes over the weekend.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Duh

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Jan 11, 2010
Is this really newsworthy?
Tom

United States

#2 Jan 11, 2010
Are you kidding me.???? How many dogs and cats buy it every dayat some farm in Iowa and get thrown in the "trash" by farmer Jones?
Call out the FBI now.
off road guy

Andover, MN

#3 Jan 11, 2010
Why is this news? If the dog died (of natural causes) and was put outside in a dumpster and it is below freezing you have a dead frozen dog. The ground is kind of hard to dig this time of year.
really

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Jan 11, 2010
I found a dead squirrel is this news?
MonkeyDoes

United States

#6 Jan 11, 2010
so ... you all seem to have missed the point that the animal had been put there while in a 'pet carrier'- indicates the potential for premeditated abuse

reading is fundemental

“What, me worry? ”

Since: Jun 09

Hastings

#9 Jan 11, 2010
Jeez, what a bunch of cold-hearted b-a-s-t-a-r-d-s!
I would think that the chances are high that the dog was thrown into the dumpster while still alive, and froze to death. Why do people own pets if they're not going to take care of them and spoil them? They're PETS for cripes sake. If you don't want to take care of them, then don't own one.
Bah Humbug

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Jan 11, 2010
Spelling is even more fundamental. Correct punctuation is nice also.
Comment

Saint Paul, MN

#11 Jan 11, 2010
MonkeyDoes wrote:
so ... you all seem to have missed the point that the animal had been put there while in a 'pet carrier'- indicates the potential for premeditated abuse
reading is fundemental
Then again, if you have the misfortune of having a pet die, you don't need a pet carrier. But given the intellect of some of the people who bought Chihuahuas after seeing how cute they were in the tacobell commercials, they wouldn't have been the first to be angered and surprised when the dog couldn't talk, and simply threw it away(yes, it's happened before).
Either way, the event is not newsworthy more than 3 doors down from where it happened.
healingtouch

Winona, MN

#12 Jan 11, 2010
Get a grip! Its the dead of winter and you cannot dig a grave. Maybe the dog was in a kennel in an attempt to keep other animals out and protect the body. Do you PETA people ever see the potential good side. My beloved cat of 18 years died right before Christmas and I couldnt bury him by the dog I lost so with extreme sadness I had to put him in the trash. No I couldnt afford what they charge for cremation. This was not newsworthy and was clearly designed to be inflammatory. Good Job press!
Casanova Frankenstein

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Jan 11, 2010
MonkeyDoes wrote:
reading is fundemental
I also indicates the "potential" for someone putting their dead dog's corpse in a pet carrier and placing the carrier in the trash.

“What, me worry? ”

Hastings

#14 Jan 11, 2010
Comment wrote:
<quoted text>
Then again, if you have the misfortune of having a pet die, you don't need a pet carrier. But given the intellect of some of the people who bought Chihuahuas after seeing how cute they were in the tacobell commercials, they wouldn't have been the first to be angered and surprised when the dog couldn't talk, and simply threw it away(yes, it's happened before).
Either way, the event is not newsworthy more than 3 doors down from where it happened.
I'm sorry, but I disagree with you- I think this story IS newsworthy, and I'm glad they printed it. Why do so many of you people thinks it's necessary to post a comment saying "This isn't newsworthy"? or "Why is this story even in the news". Who are YOU to decide what is and isn't newsworthy? If you don't think it's newsworthy, don't read it.
Lizzy

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Jan 11, 2010
healingtouch wrote:
Get a grip! Its the dead of winter and you cannot dig a grave. Maybe the dog was in a kennel in an attempt to keep other animals out and protect the body. Do you PETA people ever see the potential good side. My beloved cat of 18 years died right before Christmas and I couldnt bury him by the dog I lost so with extreme sadness I had to put him in the trash. No I couldnt afford what they charge for cremation. This was not newsworthy and was clearly designed to be inflammatory. Good Job press!
If you are online you probably have access to computer equipment. You couldn't afford cremation; for a cat? Wow. Sounds a little cold hearted to me.

“What, me worry? ”

Hastings

#16 Jan 11, 2010
healingtouch wrote:
Like I said to "Comment"- what makes you the authority on what is and isn't newsworthy?
joebadoka

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Jan 11, 2010
It is illegal to throw animals in the trash. You are supposed to bring dead dogs to the vet. I assume we will read about a disgruntled boyfriend later on. A little dog like that would of been adopted out quickly if it were dropped off at the pound. I think it is news worthy to help find the real owner of the dog.
joebadoka

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Jan 11, 2010
Bah Humbug wrote:
Spelling is even more fundamental. Correct punctuation is nice also.
Maybe you should of typed "also nice" instead of "nice also"?

Since: Nov 08

Saint Louis, MO

#19 Jan 11, 2010
Lizzy wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are online you probably have access to computer equipment. You couldn't afford cremation; for a cat? Wow. Sounds a little cold hearted to me.
Any thing over a dime to creamate a cat is too much for me. The cat won't mind either way.
Casanova Frankenstein

Saint Paul, MN

#20 Jan 11, 2010
MinnEditor: You haven't told us why you think this item is newsworthy.

Based on what I've read (or inferred), here is a reason why people don't think it is newsworthy:

People "dispose" of unwanted pets all the time. That bothers most folks, but it happens really often. If each of these events were reported, we'd have room for little else in the newspaper.
LBJ

Storm Lake, IA

#21 Jan 11, 2010
The other thing people seem to miss here is that animals are property. They are not people, are not equal to people in value in any way. It's dangerous to start going after people for doing whatever they wish with their property. If there there are some kind of signs of cruelty, that's one thing. But there was no mention of that at all in the story. A neighbor of mine when I lived in the country had a mean dog who chased my kid down the street. When I went over and complained, he said yeah, the dog had bitten people and he would deal with it. Ten minutes later I heard a shot. It is normal and responsible for an animal's owner to put it down if it's a nuisance or dangerous or sick. This is scarey because the media is slowly trying to de-value humans and give animals rights, by printing this non-story about an owner dealing as they wish with their property. And people are starting to buy it.
joebadoka

Saint Paul, MN

#22 Jan 11, 2010
LBJ wrote:
The other thing people seem to miss here is that animals are property. They are not people, are not equal to people in value in any way. It's dangerous to start going after people for doing whatever they wish with their property. If there there are some kind of signs of cruelty, that's one thing. But there was no mention of that at all in the story. A neighbor of mine when I lived in the country had a mean dog who chased my kid down the street. When I went over and complained, he said yeah, the dog had bitten people and he would deal with it. Ten minutes later I heard a shot. It is normal and responsible for an animal's owner to put it down if it's a nuisance or dangerous or sick. This is scarey because the media is slowly trying to de-value humans and give animals rights, by printing this non-story about an owner dealing as they wish with their property. And people are starting to buy it.
Animals have rights too. If you hurt one on purpose you will be charged with animal cruelity could be a felony if you hurt that animal enough depending on what state you are in. and of course I would be happy to see you date Bubba.
Tommy

Minnetonka, MN

#23 Jan 11, 2010
joebadoka wrote:
<quoted text> Maybe you should of typed "also nice" instead of "nice also"?
How about should have?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grimes Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Adulterer Bill W. Davis of Urbandale Apr 6 Your new nightmare 2
News Housing a Urban Development Secretary Ben Carso... Mar '17 Dems Reps for Ben... 22
News West Des Moines Man Charged With Attempted Murder (Jun '10) Feb '17 Ryan Haynes 86
News Ambush slaying of Iowa police officers shocks s... Nov '16 Repeal the Second 1
News 10 Things to Know for Thursday Nov '16 Repeal the Second 1
News For Donald Trump, projection emerges as top cam... (Sep '16) Nov '16 davy 43
News Iowans react to Trump's 'locker room talk' (Oct '16) Oct '16 American 6

Grimes Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grimes Mortgages