Is USDA's New Planting Map Forcing a ...

Is USDA's New Planting Map Forcing a Global Warming Agenda?

There are 31 comments on the TheBlaze.com story from Jan 26, 2012, titled Is USDA's New Planting Map Forcing a Global Warming Agenda?. In it, TheBlaze.com reports that:

On Wednesday, the U.S. Department of Agriculture released an updated guide for the color-coded map of planting zones often seen on the back of seed packets.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TheBlaze.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
bronck burger

Paterson, NJ

#1 Jan 28, 2012
MAD MAGAZINE HAS MORE THRUTH to IT.
Northie

Spokane, WA

#3 Jan 30, 2012
Longtime Topix Climate time wasters will recognize this as the USDA's long-delayed recognition of a similar map produced several years ago by the National Arbor Day Foundation. But the Arbor Day Foundation map MOVES!

http://www.arborday.org/media/mapchanges.cfm
Northie

Spokane, WA

#4 Feb 6, 2012
It's official. We're Zone 6 now. Sad to read the conservative local ag writers trying to rationalize why this cannot ALL be due to global warming.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#6 May 15, 2012
yep topix is at it again..maybe they will get sued and the site owner will hang himself..sorry if this sounds mean but ya..at it agian.
Fun Facts

Owens Cross Roads, AL

#7 May 15, 2012
Southern NM in the 8a zone, best I can tell. Looks right. Cold temps in the winter can get to single digits but more often in the 'teens'.
Fun Facts

Owens Cross Roads, AL

#8 May 15, 2012
obamasupportergg wrote:
yep topix is at it again..maybe they will get sued and the site owner will hang himself..sorry if this sounds mean but ya..at it agian.
Sounds like an Obama supporter.

When it comes time to vote, remember what the Obama supporters say.

Since: Apr 10

Milwaukee, WI USA

#9 May 15, 2012
Yes, the map reflects warmer minimum temperatures and as the IPCC tells us it's the low temperatures that are likely to increase in a warming world. Warming will be at night, in the winter and in the Arctic .

However I lied when I voted, I have no intention of giving any ammunition to the other side. After all, it's politics and not climate that's at the heart of the issue.
Northie

Spokane, WA

#10 May 15, 2012
Steve Case wrote:
Yes, the map reflects warmer minimum temperatures and as the IPCC tells us it's the low temperatures that are likely to increase in a warming world. Warming will be at night, in the winter and in the Arctic .
However I lied when I voted, I have no intention of giving any ammunition to the other side. After all, it's politics and not climate that's at the heart of the issue.
Incoherent as ever. How does one lie while voting?

Since: Apr 10

Milwaukee, WI USA

#11 May 15, 2012
Northie wrote:
<quoted text>
Incoherent as ever. How does one lie while voting?
The ballot:

Yes, the coldest temperature each year is now warmer.
No, as USDA points out the map does not reflect average temperature

I voted NO, even though I know that the coldest temperature each year is now warmer than it was just a few decades ago, and that some of that warming is due to CO2.
Northie

Spokane, WA

#12 May 15, 2012
What ballot? The subject at hand is a map.

For the benefit of the uneducated, I'll also point out that plant hardiness maps indicate winter minimums only. The reverse are heat zone maps, which are very likely going to be updated soon to reflect warming temperatures as well:

http://www.ahs.org/pdfs/05_heat_map.pdf
Atheist Liberal

Richmond, CA

#13 May 15, 2012
Steve Case wrote:
<quoted text>
The ballot:
Yes, the coldest temperature each year is now warmer.
No, as USDA points out the map does not reflect average temperature
I voted NO, even though I know that the coldest temperature each year is now warmer than it was just a few decades ago, and that some of that warming is due to CO2.
Not where I live. It has never been colder the last couple of winters. We hit new lows where I live.

Did you also know that water vapor is a far more powerful greenhouse gas than CO2? It is...and it's trillions of times more abundant in the atmosphere. shall we get the epa to regulate steam next?

In addition, what little increase occurs with CO2 will quickly be absorbed by the world's oceans - an equilibrium is unavoidable.

Global warming is a fraud. Thousands of emails directing the fraud mean nothing to you liberals?
Northie

Spokane, WA

#14 May 15, 2012
Case, you pinko, are you going to let that insult to your liberal values just slide by?
SpaceBlues

United States

#15 May 15, 2012
Atheist Liberal wrote:
<quoted text>
In addition, what little increase occurs with CO2 will quickly be absorbed by the world's oceans - an equilibrium is unavoidable.
..?
WRONG.

Clearly, you are without science. What gives you the confidence to post this stuff?
Frank Rizzo

Santa Rosa, CA

#16 May 15, 2012
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>WRONG.
Clearly, you are without science. What gives you the confidence to post this stuff?
Perhaps AL gets his confidence to write these things because they're true.

CO2 disolves imto sea water because of the partial pressure of the C02. Also, the black body effect is the prime determiner of the earth's atmospheric temperature - Look it up. The earth's atmospher with always seek equalibrium with it's surrounding environment - in this case, outer space and the effects of the sun.

Water vapor is also a more powerful greenhouse gas (by far) than any other.
SpaceBlues

United States

#17 May 15, 2012
Frank Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
CO2 disolves imto sea water because of the partial pressure of the C02. Also, the black body effect is the prime determiner of the earth's atmospheric temperature - Look it up. The earth's atmospher with always seek equalibrium with it's surrounding environment - in this case, outer space and the effects of the sun.
Your every sentence is WRONG.

Go back to school.
Frank Rizzo

Santa Rosa, CA

#18 May 15, 2012
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Your every sentence is WRONG.
Go back to school.
You're mistaken.

http://www.globalwarmingskeptics.info/thread-...
SpaceBlues

United States

#19 May 15, 2012
Frank Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
You're mistaken.
http://www.globalwarmingskeptics.info/thread-...
Gosh. Now you want me to read more and more trash!!

I object to your denying and lying about science.

Go back to school, Frankie. And stay there until you learn some science.
Crooked Liberal MediaCr

Los Angeles, CA

#20 May 15, 2012
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Gosh. Now you want me to read more and more trash!!
I object to your denying and lying about science.
Go back to school, Frankie. And stay there until you learn some science.
Looks more like you're just afraid to address the facts. The true science shows that global warming is a fraud...Not to mention thousands of emails out of the horse's mouth that prove it's a fraud...
SpaceBlues

United States

#21 May 15, 2012
Crooked Liberal MediaCr wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks more like you're just afraid to address the facts. The true science shows that global warming is a fraud...Not to mention thousands of emails out of the horse's mouth that prove it's a fraud...
Hey Crooked, LOL, you are lying in every sentence.

Go back to school. You are beyond your abilities.

Stop being abusive.
NobodyYouKnow

Toronto, Canada

#22 May 15, 2012
Frank Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Or at least they are established scientific facts (almost all, he flubbed a point or two)
Frank Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
CO2 disolves imto sea water because of the partial pressure of the C02.
Correct, but to increase the equilibrium storage, the partial pressure must be HIGHER, so oceans only moderate the increase in CO2, they cannot eliminate it.
Frank Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Also, the black body effect is the prime determiner of the earth's atmospheric temperature - Look it up.
The earth's atmospher with always seek equalibrium with it's surrounding environment - in this case, outer space and the effects of the sun.
Incorrect. The black body (actually gray since the earths albedo is about 0.3) is the determinant of the equilibrium temperature above the troposphere. The surface to the tropopause is determined by the equivalent calculation including the IR albedo (fairly dark since GHGs are good absorbers of Long Wave IR). Which is why the surface is about 33C warmer than the equilibrium to space.
Frank Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
True but immaterial to determining the stable temperature of the surface. Water vapor adds (amplifies) the warming from the 'permanent GHG's' but it cannot FORCE a change since it RESPONDS to the temperature set by other factors. The residence time of water vapor is about 3 days so it rapidly comes to equilibrium to the FORCINGS such as CO2's greenhouse effect.
In science, the response from clouds, water vapor, etc is summed up as a factor called the 'climate sensitivity', suspected to be about 1.5 times the incremental forcing. So an incremental greenhouse forcing from higher levels of CO2 to about 0.4C will results in a total temperature rise of about 1C.

I hope this has educated you a bit, but I strongly urge you to check every statement with the relevant science websites. You will find them accurate.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Griffin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
E. Ray Sharpe, Jr (Mar '12) Dec '16 In the know 57
Sheriff of Butts County Ga (Dec '07) Nov '16 Harley 80
News Sex Offender Takes Law To Court (Jun '07) Nov '16 Jessie 108
Review: Boost Promotional Group Inc (Mar '15) Aug '16 Unhappy and diapp... 3
News Fireworks display to take place Saturday (Jul '10) Jul '16 Benhunt 4
News My Two Cents--June 16, 2016 (Jun '16) Jun '16 Eric 1
Anyone know a preacher named Stephen Robinson (Apr '16) May '16 Words in the Mail 2

Griffin Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Griffin Mortgages