Mall gunman: 'I have lived one crazy life so far'

Full story: CNN 14
Intended or not, the central image on the Facebook page of Jacob "Jake" Roberts, the Oregon shopping mall gunman, is haunting. Read more

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#1 Dec 12, 2012
History is a great teacher. Right? Isn't that what they say? Was this young man as so many others in a state of arrested development prescribed Ritalyn as a youngster? What Vaccinations did he have? Was he ever on anti depressants? What video games were in his console? What was it which caused his SNAP?

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#2 Dec 12, 2012
It was a 'snap' dontcha know. Was he addicted to aspertaine sweetened soda? Sounds Manic but that can be misdiagnosed as jubilantly youthful. Was there the counter, the depressive?

With so many tens of thousands of young men in a state of arrested development my quieries need more fleshing out.
every troll here but you

Reynoldsburg, OH

#3 Dec 12, 2012
How many days are we going to have to look at this loser's face? Drop his body in the mall parking lot and let people piss on it. When it putrefies offer them oxygen masks and let them keep on pissing. Never bury him, even after he is unrecognizable as a human being.

“Uzi Does It”

Since: Nov 08

UZILAND

#4 Dec 12, 2012
every troll here but you wrote:
How many days are we going to have to look at this loser's face? Drop his body in the mall parking lot and let people piss on it. When it putrefies offer them oxygen masks and let them keep on pissing. Never bury him, even after he is unrecognizable as a human being.
Wahahahahaha, dig your panties out of the cracker yer asser, LOL.
Mark

Hedel, Netherlands

#5 Dec 13, 2012
Sad...

Somehow the US is on the path of ever more aggression. This murder will again spark others. These are not simply psychopaths but youngsters losing it. Read the testimonies:
One of his Facebook friends, Brittany Curry, 21, told CNN she dated Roberts for five months last year. They met through mutual friends in the Portland area, she said.

"I am in shock. I don't know what to feel," Curry said in a telephone interview. "He was really a good guy. He was really happy. He put everybody before himself."

"In high school Jake was a nice guy, outgoing," Salazar told CNN.

"I saw him a few times in the last year. He seemed normal" and a "good guy," she added.

Roberts wanted to be a firefighter and was taking classes at Clackamas Community College, Curry said.

"It was always his dream," Curry said.

In the meantime, he had been working as a cook at Big Bertha's gyro eatery in Portland for more than two years, Curry said.

About that job, Roberts commented on Facebook: "Right now I work at the most badass gyro shop in town. I am one of the few people that can say I love my job and actually mean it."
I think it has something to do with a society losing social coherence and replacing it by individual competition. This man was on his own from early age, and though he tried to make the best of it and keep up an optimistic appearance that is obligatory nowadays, he probably felt deeply unhappy inside and wrathful to society. This kind of exit is on of vengeance.

Pissing on his grave does not solve anything. It is just another frustrated reaction of another frustrated person of which forums are full these days. The more people struggle individually the less they seem to be able to empathize with others that don't make it. Each one for his own.

The sad thing is that Roberts was not an antisocial criminal type, but a fairly well behaving youngster dreaming to be a fireman. This is pattern that is emerging with these new killers, they are youngsters that see their dreams fall apart, and then want to exit. Having trained themselves in computer games to vent their frustration by shooting, they make a grand exit taking on the role of a vengeance figure wearing a mask. At that point training takes over and they no longer care about the world. Fuck them.

Moral condemnation is obvious, but it will not prevent this to spread. Hollow morals are rather the cause of it. Love and compassion have become hollow words. People care less about others. What is missing is a whole lot of love.

But in this society the default reaction is: lets get tougher, harder, less compassionate. When a part of the body hurts, it needs care. When parts of society hurt, it needs care too.

The social intelligence for that is no longer there it seems. In stead of resolving causes, society is only fighting symptoms. So the reaction is to form better armed and coordinated police teams. But no amount of government violence has ever been able to stop people from revolting, it just fuels it. How are you going to stop people that are on a death trip and only want vengeance?
every troll here but you

Reynoldsburg, OH

#6 Dec 13, 2012
Richard_ wrote:
<quoted text>Wahahahahaha, dig your panties out of the cracker yer asser, LOL.
Interesting choice for your icon picture, troll. Says a lot about the depth (actually the lack of it) of your character.
NOTthechildren

Bryn Mawr, PA

#7 Dec 14, 2012
This generation does not get it. I saw this mall murderer's friend on tv the other day and he was talking about this guy like he was still 'a good guy' and just had a bad day.

So one guy snaps and innocent people have to suffer??? It's not about your murdering friends troubles it's about the lives he cowardly took. Didn't even have the guts to show his face. Gutless piece of crap.

Just accept the fact that Darwin and fate never give certain people much of anything to work with.
canary

Dallas, TX

#8 Dec 14, 2012
What the hell color is/was Jacob Roberts anyway?
Rogier

Hedel, Netherlands

#9 Dec 14, 2012
NOTthechildren wrote:
This generation does not get it. I saw this mall murderer's friend on tv the other day and he was talking about this guy like he was still 'a good guy' and just had a bad day.
So one guy snaps and innocent people have to suffer??? It's not about your murdering friends troubles it's about the lives he cowardly took. Didn't even have the guts to show his face. Gutless piece of crap.
Just accept the fact that Darwin and fate never give certain people much of anything to work with.
They understand that. Still the guy was a good guy before he did all this. That is the shocking reality. Putting people in two boxes, good guys and bad guys, does not help us understand these things. Why are these things happening today? Why are good people doing such horrible things? Condemning is easy and makes us feel we are on the good side, but that is all it does. It does not stop this from happening again and again.

If youngsters start killing themselves even more with such vengeance towards society in general (why else kill total strangers) something is deeply wrong with society.

As Chinese philosopher Lao Tze wrote: in a good and just society people should be ashamed do be criminals, but in a society with many criminals the good people should be ashamed.

“Uzi Does It”

UZILAND

#10 Dec 14, 2012
Mark wrote:
Sad...
Somehow the US is on the path of ever more aggression. This murder will again spark others. These are not simply psychopaths but youngsters losing it.
In the US, in 2011 there were 10,000 less murders than in 1993 in spite of more people and more firearms in private ownership. Nice try, though.

“Uzi Does It”

UZILAND

#11 Dec 14, 2012
canary wrote:
What the hell color is/was Jacob Roberts anyway?
What "color"? Are you a retart? Even if he was Hispanic or Middle Eastern, he'd still be a caucasian.
NOTthechildren

Bryn Mawr, PA

#12 Dec 14, 2012
Rogier wrote:
<quoted text>
They understand that. Still the guy was a good guy before he did all this. That is the shocking reality. Putting people in two boxes, good guys and bad guys, does not help us understand these things. Why are these things happening today? Why are good people doing such horrible things? Condemning is easy and makes us feel we are on the good side, but that is all it does. It does not stop this from happening again and again.
If youngsters start killing themselves even more with such vengeance towards society in general (why else kill total strangers) something is deeply wrong with society.
As Chinese philosopher Lao Tze wrote: in a good and just society people should be ashamed do be criminals, but in a society with many criminals the good people should be ashamed.
I don't know if this mall shooter was 'a good guy' before hand. He was evicted from his apartment, broke up with his girl friend, quit his job and wanted to move off the continental US. The biggest flag there is eviction because he stiffed someone for money and yet he waits to be forced out? That tells me he can't deal with consequences.
canary

Dallas, TX

#13 Dec 15, 2012
To Richard_: Many "Hispanics" have mestizo blood. And he's not middle-eastern. Get your vision checked and study his photo. A "retort" is a thingy used in chemistry. Or what word did you misspell?
Mark

Hedel, Netherlands

#14 Dec 15, 2012
NOTthechildren wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know if this mall shooter was 'a good guy' before hand. He was evicted from his apartment, broke up with his girl friend, quit his job and wanted to move off the continental US. The biggest flag there is eviction because he stiffed someone for money and yet he waits to be forced out? That tells me he can't deal with consequences.
That is typical in these cases. Their life is falling apart and they can not cope with it. Of course these people are weak.

But that brings a more fundamental question. Is society supposed to be an arena in which the strong survive and pray on the weak. Or is society a place where the strong support the weak like in a family?

Are we predators on each other or social animals. Humans pretended to be more than animals because they would hold values like love and compassion high. We are supposed to be God's favourite animal, made to his image. What kind of God is that? A War God? Then lets get armed and kill and kill and kill and kill. Vengeance without end.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gresham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Oregon man accused of stealing bikes, goat too Mar 9 Suezanne 9
News 'Boyhood' and 'Blackhat': Last Chance Movies fo... Feb '15 Toby 2
Tyson mackay's family and friends washing his a... (Dec '06) Feb '15 that one chick 50
News West Linn businessman David Emami, caught in pa... Feb '15 ballsdeepppp 1
milking the prostate Dec '14 jellybean 1
Free junk car removal Gresham OR (May '09) Dec '14 jordennancy23 5
man Arrested for Video'ing Police Raid (Sep '14) Nov '14 WatchingEverything 2
Gresham Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Gresham People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]