Coyote traps removed early

Coyote traps removed early

There are 36 comments on the KUSA Denver story from May 30, 2007, titled Coyote traps removed early. In it, KUSA Denver reports that:

" The City of Greenwood Village has removed all of its leg hold traps that were set along the Highline Canal to catch coyotes.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KUSA Denver.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Geepers

Denver, CO

#1 May 30, 2007
These traps are illegal in Colorado? What pea-brained administrator approved the permit to use them??????
Justin

Denver, CO

#2 May 30, 2007
No its like everything else, illegal for citizens and ok for the government. Also, has anyone noticed the increase in coyote problems since trapping was made illegal about 6 years ago? Must just be a coincidence
Ella

United States

#3 May 30, 2007
Animals always lose when it comes to humans. Those traps are so cruel.
Ella

United States

#7 May 30, 2007
I love coyotes. They are so smart.I hear their calls everynight where I live.
lolz

Denver, CO

#9 May 30, 2007
Walton wrote:
I will definitely carry my gun when walking along the Highline Canal.
What a wimp. Afraid of some coyotes, tough guy?
sundial

Rochester, MN

#10 May 30, 2007
Who will eat the roadrunners?
Randy

Colorado Springs, CO

#11 May 30, 2007
lolz wrote:
<quoted text>
What a wimp. Afraid of some coyotes, tough guy?
I think he means to put them out of their misery.
Mark

United States

#12 May 31, 2007
People worried their kids or pets might get hurt by the traps, but complained about aggressive coyotes. How about taking your kids and your pets to a public park. Such an easy fix that stupid people have to make difficult.
Mark

United States

#13 May 31, 2007
Mills wrote:
<quoted text>
Better the animal lose, than the human.
Actually if the human wants to gamble with nature, and loses, good for the animal. We have things called parks. Some people have figured that out and dont have to worry about being attacked by a coyotes. Other get to learn the hard way.
Mark

United States

#14 May 31, 2007
Walton wrote:
I will definitely carry my gun when walking along the Highline Canal.
You will be the next idiot on the news. Headlines reading "Idiot mistakenly shoots dog after thinking it was a coyote".
low life

United States

#15 May 31, 2007
use these traps to catch the mexicans!!
Mommamia

Parker, CO

#16 May 31, 2007
My cat was taken 3 weeks ago by a coyote, he got outside by accident and I guess it was pretty quick as described by neighbors. Although I miss my kitty dearly I am glad he went the way he did, rather than being wasted on the street by a car he was "recycled" through the food chain. Possibly feeding baby coyote's that will grow up and take care of the increasing rabbit and prairie dog population, and in turn helping the slow down of the plague that is spreading rapidly through the front range. I would rather share outdoors with coyotes rather than disease spreading vermin any day of the week.
Frank

Denver, CO

#17 May 31, 2007
Mommamia wrote:
My cat was taken 3 weeks ago by a coyote, he got outside by accident and I guess it was pretty quick as described by neighbors. Although I miss my kitty dearly I am glad he went the way he did, rather than being wasted on the street by a car he was "recycled" through the food chain. Possibly feeding baby coyote's that will grow up and take care of the increasing rabbit and prairie dog population, and in turn helping the slow down of the plague that is spreading rapidly through the front range. I would rather share outdoors with coyotes rather than disease spreading vermin any day of the week.
As I am sorry you lost your pet I must say you have a very good outlook on the whole situation. I wish more people did. More pets and children are taken out by cars then coyotes by far and yet we don't ban the cars. I'm pleased that the public outcry on these traps put a stop to them. I was one of the folks who complained to the state that these things were illegal here.

As for those of you who still think coyotes are a danger take a lesson from an old rancher who has lived among them his whole life. A loud noise, a stomp in their direction will send them running. They are very skittish animals. We're not talking a bear or mountain lion here. And the idiot who plans on taking his gun on the highline canal trail, if my 8 year old grandson can chase off a coyote without a gun I'm sure you can do. Drop a glass of water in your lap, maybe you'll get lucky and grow a pair.
don

Denver, CO

#18 May 31, 2007
you can't have it both ways. while you're hugging the tree it is more likely the coyote will attack your dog, or your child. if your dog or child is caught in the trap, won't you be there to free them?
Betty

Mount Vernon, WA

#19 May 31, 2007
Now let me get this strait, we move into ther area, we that there food sorce away, we move ther homes we kill there young. now we trap them. Same with bears but maybe if we place them all in zoos we would live better??
banjo

Denver, CO

#20 May 31, 2007
Betty wrote:
Now let me get this strait, we move into ther area, we that there food sorce away, we move ther homes we kill there young. now we trap them. Same with bears but maybe if we place them all in zoos we would live better??
I've seen coyotes with better grammar lady.
Tricia

Littleton, CO

#21 May 31, 2007
What a rediculous over-reaction to a small number of complaints from people too irresponsible to supervise their pets. The area has had coyotes for a lot longer than it has had us. If I move here and let my defenseless housepet out where it is subject to all kinds of danger, then I DESERVE to loose that pet.

The horrible death imposed on an animal by these leg traps is why they're illegal. How about we ALL honor the law?!!
sad

Durango, CO

#22 May 31, 2007
Who do we think we are that we can go anywhere we want and kill off any other animal that may live there too. We should be ashamed!
Fed UP

United States

#23 May 31, 2007
banjo wrote:
<quoted text>
I've seen coyotes with better grammar lady.
Why do people focus on the grammar rather then the point? Oh thats right, because you are to stupid to get the point.
Forsta

Louisville, CO

#24 May 31, 2007
The use of the traps was irresponsible. Public education is much wiser.

As has already been said, coyotes are relatively easy to spook, and they are are hunters of opportunity, tending toward pray that either displays extreme fright, runs (never run from a coyote), or is tiny. Small animals and little children are tiny and tend to be frightened and run. Yet children should, of course, be accompanied by adults who know what they're doing. If you live at the city's edge, or are taking up more than your fair share of space in the rural fringe, then you should learn and practice behaviors that will keep you from being hunted, bitten, eaten, or otherwise injured by Colorado's wonderful wildlife. Then, despite good preparation, if something goes awry, you should accept that you're living in these animals' territory. It's already been mentioned that vastly more deaths are caused by automobiles than by wild animals every day; the ratio is so hugely imbalanced that deaths caused by wild animals statistically amount to 0% of the population mortality, when compared to automobiles and (surprise!) handguns, although autos are the clear winner for the most fatalities. We could also talk about heart disease (death by bad food), lung disease (death by bad air), but nobody's put the executives of McDonald's or Philip Morris in leg traps yet.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greenwood Village Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 58 min NoahLovesU 57,457
Republicans the party of LIARS (Dec '11) Sun tbird19482 29,997
Men wearing panties and bra and sex with women (Jul '16) Sat Xdresser6317 26
Jeffco School Board Candidate Forum for Diverse... Oct 13 coawamy 1
What’s Nicole Rodriguez like? Oct 13 The man 1
News Lawsuit: CU Regent John Carson allegedly discri... Aug '17 Larry the Cable Guy 11
News Aurora motel residents resist eviction after ne... Jun '17 troyetaylor 1

Greenwood Village Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Greenwood Village Mortgages