Lyons wants to limit sex offenders

Lyons wants to limit sex offenders

There are 46 comments on the KUSA Denver story from Apr 3, 2007, titled Lyons wants to limit sex offenders. In it, KUSA Denver reports that:

" The town of Lyons may adopt an ordinance to try and keep convicted sex offenders away from places children go.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KUSA Denver.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
avgJoe

Buffalo, NY

#48 May 12, 2007
GrammyKins you are way off base. This is not about sex offender's rights. It is about protecting future victims. You seem to think that sex offenders should be punished for life. Your thinking is wrong. You are letting your anger for this cloud your judgement and sanity. You are just mad at offenders and have a "not in my back yard" attitude. Here's the problem with that. Offenders have families too, and by these laws forcing them to live only in certain areas (first it does violate their rights, they do have them after they've served their time) it forces this restriction onto their INNOCENT families as well. Maybe you should have to go see a child that has a parent for a sex offender and look them straight in the eye and explain to them that you simply don't care about what happens to them because of their association with the offender. These laws will hurt far more people than they protect. And it won't stop the crime, it will happen anyway. But it's probably not going to be the offender who has already been caught. It will more likely be someone you know that you never thought of who may even live right next door. One last thing you should do is go look at real statistic and information on the DOJ site and also maybe go to SOSNET to educate yourself about the real problems.

“What goes 'round comes 'round”

Since: May 07

United States

#49 May 12, 2007
avgJoe wrote:
GrammyKins you are way off base. This is not about sex offender's rights. It is about protecting future victims. You seem to think that sex offenders should be punished for life. Your thinking is wrong. You are letting your anger for this cloud your judgement and sanity. You are just mad at offenders and have a "not in my back yard" attitude. Here's the problem with that. Offenders have families too, and by these laws forcing them to live only in certain areas (first it does violate their rights, they do have them after they've served their time) it forces this restriction onto their INNOCENT families as well. Maybe you should have to go see a child that has a parent for a sex offender and look them straight in the eye and explain to them that you simply don't care about what happens to them because of their association with the offender. These laws will hurt far more people than they protect. And it won't stop the crime, it will happen anyway. But it's probably not going to be the offender who has already been caught. It will more likely be someone you know that you never thought of who may even live right next door. One last thing you should do is go look at real statistic and information on the DOJ site and also maybe go to SOSNET to educate yourself about the real problems.
Yes, it is about future victims…PREVENTION! Offenders must be CONTROLLED for life and if you see that as punishment, so be it. It was their choice to be faced with consequences when they injured another human physically, mentally and emotionally.

Yes, many offenders have families, too. In fact, many victims are victims because of an offender in their family. The majority of offenses are committed by someone that a victim knows and often trusts. That can be family members, friends of the family, friends, church leaders, teachers, scout leaders, babysitters, neighbors, mentors, coaches, etc. Some of these offenders have formed close bonds with the victim so the secret will be kept. They are often charismatic, charming, loving. They are usually cunning, manipulative and deceitful. They gain trust so they can act on their evil desires. Rather than control their thoughts and keep it in their mind…they act on it. That is their choice and it is what separates them from people that might have similar thoughts, but DON’T act it out. If an offender looses his family as a consequence of his/her actions…so be it. They lock up drug dealers for a few decades and are you going to whine about the children of a drug dealer being separated from the family? The offender should have thought about the consequences before they destroyed someone else’s life. Can you imagine what the child/ren of the offender is going to think about that parent when they get old enough to realize that their parent is a pervert and ruined the lives of other? I’m not punishing that child, the offender created the situation. Put the blame where it belongs. Obviously you are not a victim or have not had a child victimized. In fact, you sound like you have a close relationship with an offender.

Thank goodness things are changing. Children and adults are beginning to speak up and turning their experiences over to the proper authorities. The courts and prisons are busting at the seams with these perverts. Maybe in a generation, people will have learned that the consequences are not worth the crime…and keep their dark thoughts to themselves rather than acting them out.

Oh, I have copies or reports and statistics that are apparently very different from yours. Guess it is a matter of where you look for your information. It has a lot to do with WHO does the research and what they “want” the outcome to be. A lot more people see it like I do…we are mad as hell and aren’t going to take it anymore!
philgram

Littleton, CO

#50 May 20, 2007
Hang um by there nuts
philgram

Littleton, CO

#51 May 20, 2007
Oh well,what the hell?If I ever have a run in with one.I'd kill um.No excuse,and no regret.
Pedro

Littleton, CO

#52 May 20, 2007
philgram wrote:
Oh well,what the hell?If I ever have a run in with one.I'd kill um.No excuse,and no regret.
I gis-shuoe muannn!!!!!!!!!
Outraged

Denver, CO

#53 May 12, 2008
For all of you who think it is ok for a 17 almost 18 year old to have interest in a 13 year old, let me ask you this... what would they have in common??? It is wrong for an almost adult to get involved in a barely pubescent teen. Can you not see this? Mature or not, they should not have anything in common, and the 13 year surely should not be having sex. Another thing, all of you who think that the sex offender laws are wrong or too restrictive, or whatever...obviously, you haven't been on the victims side of things. When a 28 year old has sex with a 14 year old, or a 28 year old has sex with a 17 year old, or when a 23 year old has sex with a 15 year old....when you are the victim of these crimes, then, and only then, can you cry outrage at the current laws. That is, if you think that they are still unfair. Three different instances, three different men, and I hope and pray that those who offended these three girls, end up rotting in hell. I hope that there is NEVER a chance for the men who did this to do it again. I do agree that violent offenders should also register. I think that is a brilliant idea. But, most, not all, sex offenders are drug addicts and/or alcoholics. Most are victims themselves, who have been sexually, physical, mentally abused themselves. Unfortunately, there is a saying for pedaphiles, once a pedaphile, always a pedaphile. And if you are having sex with a child, that makes you a pedaphile. For those of you who feel that it is ok for a 13yr old to have sex, go get therapy before its too late.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greenwood Village Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Republicans the party of LIARS (Dec '11) 6 min Trevet 24,126
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 2 hr Respect71 38,664
Lies and Poor Security Judgment but We Still Wa... 2 hr Go Blue Forever 16
any guys on skype that can show there feet? (Apr '14) 2 hr Mr BIg7 2
Mexicans (Mar '14) 12 hr Tom C 77
Democrats created and own racist Confederate flag Thu Terressa 3
last post wins! (Feb '11) Thu -Prince- 26,043

Greenwood Village Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Greenwood Village Mortgages