FOX31 investigation finds few drivers...

FOX31 investigation finds few drivers heed school bus stop signs

There are 22 comments on the Fox 31 KDVR story from May 4, 2010, titled FOX31 investigation finds few drivers heed school bus stop signs. In it, Fox 31 KDVR reports that:

Deborah Bird spends her morning counting the cars. "There goes one. There's another.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox 31 KDVR.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
willibald

Basel, Switzerland

#1 May 4, 2010
If you want your kids to be safe,PLEASE teach them as well,not to run in front of the bus accross the street,without even looking left or right.it will give SOME kidsthe wrong sense of security,for later on in life.We have to teach them,there ARE drivers who do wrong,on purpose,and sometimes not...thats life
FEDUP

Brighton, CO

#2 May 5, 2010
Drivers don't care. Drivers are in their own little world inside their cars. Talking and texting on cell phones. Applying makeup. Eating. Watching TV. People think they are more important than stopping for school busses or anything else that might be blocking their way.
Just thinkin

Milford, CT

#3 May 5, 2010
The little rug rats need to warm up some brain cells and learn to look both ways. A little parenting might help that a bit. Placing responsibility for your safety in the hands of others is always a bad idea.

Since: Nov 09

Denver, CO

#4 May 5, 2010
I think the "adults" (who somehow managed to pass the written portion of their drivers test) need to get a clue. These buses have a schedule...learn it if it's on your routte to work and you're running late and don't want to stop. Or, lets make the stop signs that pop out the length of the bus so you can't pass without losing your windsheild in the process :)
AmanteNino

Rocky Ford, CO

#5 May 5, 2010
Drivers never cease to amaze me! If you see a school bus slowing down, and in the morning or after school times, more than likely it's going to stop. "The little rug rats need to warm up some brain cells and learn to look both ways. A little parenting might help that a bit." A quote from FEDUP. Take a look at the parents, they are going to teach their young? They are the ones who need to obey the law and use some common sense! Oh, they are to busy, running late for work, the donut shop, gym, etc. so stopping for a few minutes is not on the list. How many pull over for emergency vehicles? The policemen stops these idiots has a full time job. Sad thing is these people reproduce and their off-spring do the same things they do!
I think you should be tested everytime you renew your license, so you know the rules of the road and not just make your own up as you drive! But drivers are getting worst!

Idealist

United States

#6 May 5, 2010
A few 6 point tickets like 2 will send them home without a license.

Maybe DA's should not allow plea bargains on certain traffic offenses.
worried mother

Denver, CO

#7 May 5, 2010
now that I have seen this part of the news,I'm going to take my kids to school and pick them up,when they reach the school age,I'm a 22 year old mom and this kind of crap pisses me off,when I stop for school bus signs people honk at me,so I flip them off and then point to the stop sign on the bus,just so they get a clue because they left their intelligence back with their mothers,and never bothered to get it back,I stop for stop signs on the bus,because I want sweet little children to stay safe when they're without proper care-(their parents),because the school bus driver does not care about the children the way their parents do!
Ashleigh

Denver, CO

#8 May 5, 2010
Parents need to reinforce the rules of getting off and on a school bus the right way with their kids.
A little reminding isn't going to hurt, but people not stopping for the bus to pick up/drop off kids could. Remember the 11 year old that got run over last week? So we as parents need to talk to our kids about staying safe and we as drivers need to be more cautious near bus stops. Oh, and "just thinkin"...your comment was rude. But unfortunately, it is the kids who suffer due to stupid parents.
school bus driver

Lafayette, CO

#9 May 5, 2010
You would be surprised at what we experience! Our district had a student hit and transported by ambulance because a BICYCLIST ran the stop sign on the left and hit the student as he was crossing (threw the student 15 feet). I had a bicyclist regularly pass my bus on the RIGHT as a child was exiting the bus and almost hit the child numerous times. I finally stuck my leg out the door to stop the cyclist who then ran my stop sign on the left every day-real brainiac. Another time I had a sports car run my bus at a student stop on the shoulder on the right, almost hitting the mother and child as the child was ready to load!!(ran up the shoulder the whole 40 ft length of the bus)

PEOPLE--WAKE UP!!! STOP means stop- not roll, not run. The life you take will haunt you for the rest of your life!!!
Jonsey

Denver, CO

#10 May 5, 2010
I bet that story wouldn't have seen the light of day if it wasn't in Cherry Creek. I see stuff like that in the suburbs, and nothing ever done about it.

Hmmmm
Just thinkin

Milford, CT

#11 May 5, 2010
Ashleigh wrote:
Parents need to reinforce the rules of getting off and on a school bus the right way with their kids.
A little reminding isn't going to hurt, but people not stopping for the bus to pick up/drop off kids could. Remember the 11 year old that got run over last week? So we as parents need to talk to our kids about staying safe and we as drivers need to be more cautious near bus stops. Oh, and "just thinkin"...your comment was rude. But unfortunately, it is the kids who suffer due to stupid parents.
The real world is more then rude.
It kills without comment or remorse.
The little rug rats will either learn to slow down and look or Darwin will get them, if not now then latter.

And just to be rude I'll repeat.

Placing your safety in the hands of others is always a bad idea.
GSXR

Denver, CO

#12 May 5, 2010
Don't you think the police would do us all better if they were enforcing this law with as much vigilance as the seat belt law?
Realistically

Denver, CO

#13 May 5, 2010
What the heck is so darn difficult about mentally changing gears when you see a school bus and slowing down and paying more attention? Where did these idiots get their licenses? As long ago as it was, before I was allowed to have a license, I remember having to learn and pass a test about how to negotiate driving anywhere near a stopped school bus while approaching it from any angle. Who cares what the children are thinking about or doing? It doesn't matter, because the safety consequences are too severe. That's the whole point!!!
Ashleigh

Denver, CO

#15 May 5, 2010
Just thinkin wrote:
<quoted text>
The real world is more then rude.
It kills without comment or remorse.
The little rug rats will either learn to slow down and look or Darwin will get them, if not now then latter.
And just to be rude I'll repeat.
Placing your safety in the hands of others is always a bad idea.
Maybe if you had kids yourself, you wouldn't call them "rug rats". What do you mean they need to slow down? We are talking about the cars blowing through the bus stop signs, not kids needing to slow down. Children DO put their safety in the hands of others...they are called adults. Either their own parents, or teachers or babysitters or whoever. Stop putting the blame on these little "rug rats" who are obviously a nuisance to you, and read the article again. It is talking about ADULTS who are behind the wheel of a car and putting CHILDREN'S lives in danger...Hello!!!

Since: Sep 09

Kiowa, CO

#16 May 5, 2010
dizzee wrote:
I think the "adults" (who somehow managed to pass the written portion of their drivers test) need to get a clue. These buses have a schedule...learn it if it's on your routte to work and you're running late and don't want to stop. Or, lets make the stop signs that pop out the length of the bus so you can't pass without losing your windsheild in the process :)
You mean like the RR crossing barricades, that would be awesome.

The drivers out here in the sticks radio in the license plates of the offenders who then have a deputy and a thousand dollar fine waiting for them at home, so problem is minimized.

The tragedy will happen sooner or later with these odds, just like it did with the RTD passengers and driver.
CO_Rubi

Parker, CO

#17 May 5, 2010
Is it just me, or wouldn't the public have been better served if the Greenwood Village police officer actually got out of his car at the bus stop and stopped all the traffic, the way it is supposed to be? Why sit there and watch car after car break the law and possibly kill someone? Maybe doing that for a day or two would teach EVERY driver on that route that you have to stop for the red bus lights, not just those that get pulled over. I thought it was ridiculous.
AmanteNino

Rocky Ford, CO

#18 May 6, 2010
school bus driver wrote:
You would be surprised at what we experience! Our district had a student hit and transported by ambulance because a BICYCLIST ran the stop sign on the left and hit the student as he was crossing (threw the student 15 feet). I had a bicyclist regularly pass my bus on the RIGHT as a child was exiting the bus and almost hit the child numerous times. I finally stuck my leg out the door to stop the cyclist who then ran my stop sign on the left every day-real brainiac. Another time I had a sports car run my bus at a student stop on the shoulder on the right, almost hitting the mother and child as the child was ready to load!!(ran up the shoulder the whole 40 ft length of the bus)
PEOPLE--WAKE UP!!! STOP means stop- not roll, not run. The life you take will haunt you for the rest of your life!!!
Carry a bag of ball bearing, then throw a handful of them into their windshield!
AmanteNino

Rocky Ford, CO

#19 May 6, 2010
CO_Rubi wrote:
Is it just me, or wouldn't the public have been better served if the Greenwood Village police officer actually got out of his car at the bus stop and stopped all the traffic, the way it is supposed to be? Why sit there and watch car after car break the law and possibly kill someone? Maybe doing that for a day or two would teach EVERY driver on that route that you have to stop for the red bus lights, not just those that get pulled over. I thought it was ridiculous.
He was enjoying his cup of coffee and A donut! Giving tickets and six points from their licence will cost them money! What should be done is take their vehicle for 90 days! Then community service, like a road guard at schools!
Just thinkin

Milford, CT

#20 May 6, 2010
Ashleigh wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe if you had kids yourself, you wouldn't call them "rug rats". What do you mean they need to slow down? We are talking about the cars blowing through the bus stop signs, not kids needing to slow down. Children DO put their safety in the hands of others...they are called adults. Either their own parents, or teachers or babysitters or whoever. Stop putting the blame on these little "rug rats" who are obviously a nuisance to you, and read the article again. It is talking about ADULTS who are behind the wheel of a car and putting CHILDREN'S lives in danger...Hello!!!
Why would you think I don't?
I was a rug rat and called such for years.
I have rug rats.
The diff is mine have brain cells that are all warm and fuzzy.
Justice for All

Denver, CO

#21 May 7, 2010
CO_Rubi wrote:
Co rubi...you are an idiot! I hope you get hit buy a bus dumba$$

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greenwood Village Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 5 min cpeter1313 46,280
Republicans the party of LIARS (Dec '11) 59 min Respect71 27,746
Get your Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Black Belt in just... (Nov '11) 12 hr Scottrick Steinson 4
Looking for blues 22 hr Sara11790 1
Local Politics Do you approve of Michael B. Hancock as Mayor? (Feb '12) Fri chad 5
Nicole DuBois Savage Thu Jamie Dundee 5
Male on Female Facesitting topix? Thu Anonymous 8

Greenwood Village Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Greenwood Village Mortgages