Jehovah's Witness deal riles Aurora n...

Jehovah's Witness deal riles Aurora neighbors

There are 109 comments on the Denver Post story from Oct 23, 2010, titled Jehovah's Witness deal riles Aurora neighbors. In it, Denver Post reports that:

Residents in the Serenity Ridge neighborhood are upset by plans to sell nearby land for a massive Jehovah's Witness assembly hall, the first such hall in Colorado.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Denver Post.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
TPMP 35

Dover, NJ

#1 Oct 23, 2010
They must have got a good deal on this property. I would like to be a fly on he wall when the representatives of WTBTS are negotiating. I would like to see how they handle these matters.

I believe many would be curious to witness this.

I don't believe this will hurt property values though in the long run. They probably think that Jw's will be knocking on thier doors during the assembly. I could understand that. It is an understandable concern.....People will be annoyed about the traffic though....Especially if it's an exclusive community. That's about it.

TPMP 35
AuroraMom

Aurora, IL

#2 Oct 25, 2010
No the WBTS looking to benefit by buying low and selling high?
Why are they given tax breaks anyway?

“Tight lines”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#3 Oct 25, 2010
TPMP 35 wrote:
They must have got a good deal on this property. I would like to be a fly on he wall when the representatives of WTBTS are negotiating. I would like to see how they handle these matters.
I don't believe this will hurt property values though in the long run. They probably think that Jw's will be knocking on thier doors during the assembly. I could understand that. It is an understandable concern.....People will be annoyed about the traffic though....Especially if it's an exclusive community. That's about it.
TPMP 35
I agree with you.
The one thing that would REALLY irk me, if I were a homeowner in this development, would be the fact that the planned pool and clubhouse are no longer going to happen.
I mean, if I bought a house and I expected a pool, I would want to see that pool.
Persona Non Grata

AOL

#4 Oct 25, 2010
JW's have these assembly halls throughout America, they are good stewards of the land, keep their property up and are respectful of their neighbors, so what's the big deal? There is no evidence of property values declining what-so-ever, unless one can offer up factual evidence of the contrary?
Persona Non Grata

AOL

#5 Oct 25, 2010
AuroraMom wrote:
And, Why Not??
AuroraMom

Aurora, IL

#6 Oct 25, 2010
Just don't expect them to be part of the community in any charitable way, the way that actual religions are.
They will instruct their members to be as thrifty as possible in the community, so that any and all $$ go only to the WBTS.
Oh, and lock up your children, because they do send even violent criminals to your door.
How that would inflate a home value is unexplainable, but can see why have nutcases around every weekend, could bring it down.
red blood relative

United States

#7 Oct 25, 2010
AuroraMom wrote:
yup, they buy residential zoned property for cash, dirt cheap, then build the tax free building with free labor, and make the local congregations pay for it.
as they hang on to it for a few years,.... then as they sell it, their lawyers agree to assist the buyer to get it re-zoned to Business as they rake in the dough....... then they find another cheap peace of property and repeat the process.

“Tight lines”

Location hidden

#8 Oct 25, 2010
red blood relative wrote:
<quoted text>
yup, they buy residential zoned property for cash, dirt cheap, then build the tax free building with free labor, and make the local congregations pay for it.
as they hang on to it for a few years,.... then as they sell it, their lawyers agree to assist the buyer to get it re-zoned to Business as they rake in the dough....... then they find another cheap peace of property and repeat the process.
Did you read the article?
It is zoned for a place of worship also.
The WBTS is not trying to rezone anything.
AuroraMom

Aurora, IL

#9 Oct 25, 2010
florida native wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you read the article?
It is zoned for a place of worship also.
The WBTS is not trying to rezone anything.
As you say PROVE IT.
Prove that it was ALWAYS zoned for place of worship, and that they wBTS did not wave $$$ to get the zoning.

I don't blame the homeowners.
These are tough times, and having a nutty cult's "assembly hall" will only hurt already declining home values.

“Tight lines”

Location hidden

#10 Oct 25, 2010
According to the article:
"Jim Sayre, manager of zoning and development review for Aurora, said the property is zoned for medium density and allows for places of worship."

There is nothing that states that the Witnesses somehow had this changed.
The original plans called for a community center and a swimming pool which would call for a "medium density" permit.
Now, I will not pretend to be an expert in Colorado zoning laws but, the article made no mention of the WTBTS proposing any changes to the zoning at all.
While you might feel that having an assembly hall in the same development as houses will diminish the property value, your opinion is based purely on speculation and is not backed up by facts whatsoever.
Currently I am unable to find a single document to back up your claim of a rezone.
AuroraMom

Aurora, IL

#11 Oct 25, 2010
I can guarantee a cult "assembly hall" which brings in all sorts of derelicts, pedophiles, mentally ill and potentially violent "reformed" offenders, while doing absolutely NOTHING charitable for the community, will bring down property values.
No speculation there, when something of only negative value and offering nothing positive to the community is built, property values go down, period.
reporter

Mocksville, NC

#12 Oct 25, 2010
TPMP 35 wrote:
TPMP 35
i thought those meetings are open to the public, since they vote on it.
reporter

Mocksville, NC

#13 Oct 25, 2010
AuroraMom wrote:
I can guarantee a cult "assembly hall" which brings in all sorts of derelicts, pedophiles, mentally ill and potentially violent "reformed" offenders, while doing absolutely NOTHING charitable for the community, will bring down property values.
No speculation there, when something of only negative value and offering nothing positive to the community is built, property values go down, period.
hmmmm....., sounds like you will be going there if they are like you say.

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#14 Oct 25, 2010
Persona Non Grata wrote:
JW's have these assembly halls throughout America, they are good stewards of the land, keep their property up and are respectful of their neighbors, so what's the big deal? There is no evidence of property values declining what-so-ever, unless one can offer up factual evidence of the contrary?
If the JWs are such good steward, Persona, perhaps they could make their baptismal font into a large public swimming pool and allow the neighbors to use it when there aren't any religious services going on in the facility. That way the JWs would be good neighbors. Also, since JWs call their religious structures "halls," indicates that they can be used for more than just religious services. Therefore, using it for recreation would be permissible.
Mysteryman

Calgary, Canada

#15 Oct 25, 2010
I only have one thing to say to people who are obviously against Jehovah's Witnesses. If you feel that they do not offer anything positive to the community, fair enough. You are entitled to your opinion. But as certain people have said in this forum, things like JW's have nutcases, are a 'cult', have pedophiles, and 'reformed' violent offenders, I just have one thing to say. JW's teach only what is in God's word the Bible. Nothing they come to your door with is based on opinion of any kind. The Bible teaches things such as how to show love to one another, forgiveness, to not be spiteful or hurtful in things you say or do. JW's do more than their fair share in the community by being among the first to arrive on scene at major disasters such as 9/11, and Katrina. They do this out of love from the heart and because it is God's will. So when you say 'prove it', please take your own advice and base what you say on actual fact, not on opinion that comes merely from hatred because of something you heard.
reporter

Mocksville, NC

#16 Oct 25, 2010
Admiral Kolchak wrote:
<quoted text>
If the JWs are such good steward, Persona, perhaps they could make their baptismal font into a large public swimming pool and allow the neighbors to use it when there aren't any religious services going on in the facility. That way the JWs would be good neighbors. Also, since JWs call their religious structures "halls," indicates that they can be used for more than just religious services. Therefore, using it for recreation would be permissible.
the fonts i saw in churches are way to small to swim in. i never saw a church used for recreation; they had separate buildings for that, breakfasts, etc. imagine kids running up & down the aisles and jumping on the organ. i wouldnt want to clean it up after that.
red blood relative

United States

#17 Oct 26, 2010
Mysteryman wrote:
, I just have one thing to say. JW's teach only what is in God's word the Bible. Nothing they come to your door with is based on opinion of any kind..
are you sure?.... is 1874-1878 -1914-1919-1925 in the bible?

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#18 Oct 26, 2010
Mysteryman wrote:
I only have one thing to say to people who are obviously against Jehovah's Witnesses. If you feel that they do not offer anything positive to the community, fair enough. You are entitled to your opinion. But as certain people have said in this forum, things like JW's have nutcases, are a 'cult', have pedophiles, and 'reformed' violent offenders, I just have one thing to say. JW's teach only what is in God's word the Bible. Nothing they come to your door with is based on opinion of any kind. The Bible teaches things such as how to show love to one another, forgiveness, to not be spiteful or hurtful in things you say or do. JW's do more than their fair share in the community by being among the first to arrive on scene at major disasters such as 9/11, and Katrina. They do this out of love from the heart and because it is God's will. So when you say 'prove it', please take your own advice and base what you say on actual fact, not on opinion that comes merely from hatred because of something you heard.
Hi there Mysteryman

I believe that you are unfamiliary with the Watchtower Society, Germaliels Bodys evil and weird doctrines of men...:huh

Im not rising questions against any singel individuals motive and heart but members of the Watchtower Society, Germaliels Bodys are Mind Controlled victims that preach everything what they are instructed to teach, whether it has its origin from the Scriptures or not... it doesn't matter they teach doctrines of men and If you like I can prove it... Matthew 15:7-10...

Where in your Bible can we read that only members of the Watchtower Society, Germaliels Body will survive at Armageddon... and all others will be destroyed, even those who leave their organisation... in opposition to what Jesus Christ he states in John 3:16,36...?

Furthermore where in your Bible can we read that God banned vaccinations, as the act of Satan and organ transplantations as cannibalism and that a metaphor for life, the blood is an Idol more sacred than the life itself and that Christians can get use of tons of stored animals blood, in form of derivates, in opposition to what comes forth in Genesis 9:4... opposite donors blood given by a free will and love for their naighbours even members of the WTBS which are banned from donating... even that it could save their fellow believes lives...?

Reference, the Watchtower Societys, Germaliels Bodys internal publication Kingdom Ministry for November 2006.

Do you really belive they teach what the Scriptures states or in question of above, evil and weird doctrines of men in a dark Tower in Brooklyn...?

Just take a look at their history written in blood from their victims which they have crippled and sent into a premature death... due to their evil and weird doctrines of men...:huh:

http://www.ajwrb.org/watchtower/index.shtml

The cover of the May 22, 1994 Awake! magazine showing photos of 26 children, with the caption: "Youths Who Put God First." Inside the magazine glorifies Witness children who died supporting WTS policy.

"In former times thousands of youths died for putting God first. They are still doing it, only today the drama is played out in hospitals and courtrooms, with blood transfusions the issue."
Awake!- May 22, 1994, p.2 (Official Jehovah's Witness publication)
Persona Non Grata

AOL

#19 Oct 26, 2010
AuroraMom wrote:
Just don't expect them to be part of the community in any charitable way, the way that actual religions are.
They will instruct their members to be as thrifty as possible in the community, so that any and all $$ go only to the WBTS.
Oh, and lock up your children, because they do send even violent criminals to your door.
How that would inflate a home value is unexplainable, but can see why have nutcases around every weekend, could bring it down.
Its apparent you haven't a clue what your talking about. I suggest you lay off the glycol. There is not a scintilla of truth in your allegations. What you are doing is commonly referred to as "bearing false witness." Criminals at the door, indeed.
Jw's come from every walk of life and every profession. Are they perfect, of course not. If one strays from biblical principals they are given the boot forthwith. Something you don't see very often in "organized religion."

Furthermore, they are not a burden on ANY community, they take care of their own. They don't pass the plate in their congregations. If one one wants to donate there is a receptacle at the rear of each building, nor are they at any time badgered about contributing either.

Yes, they also build their own churches throughout the world with volunteer labor...all from donations garnered from their publications.

BTW, ask any Jew about JW's that were in the concentration camps with them. You are indeed a fool!

http://www.jw-media.org/aboutjw/article44.htm
Prime

United States

#20 Oct 26, 2010
Mysteryman wrote:
First on scene at 9/11 AND Katrina? ROTFLMAO! Stop lying your nutcase ass off!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greenwood Village Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 1 hr sgt Wiitold Kowal 38,780
last post wins! (Feb '11) 1 hr Red_Forman 26,131
Republicans the party of LIARS (Dec '11) 11 hr Nigel 24,695
News Edgewater to host Jefferson County's first recr... (Feb '14) Fri Tn Treetop Daddy 2
Wheat Ridge Music Forum (Nov '12) Fri Tn Treetop Daddy 13
Trump for President, He will win. watch Thu tbird19482 10
News Colorado Hemp Honey Is the Bee's Knees - and a ... (Nov '15) Nov '15 Elise Gingerdoodle 1

Greenwood Village Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Greenwood Village Mortgages