Should Alcoholic Beverages be allowed...

Should Alcoholic Beverages be allowed in Greenwood City Parks?

Posted in the Greenwood Forum

Concerned

Russellville, AR

#1 Nov 29, 2012
I see in the paper where one of the parks committee members is going to introduce an ammendment to the ordinance prohibiting alcoholic beverages in city parks at the next council meeting.
1. Since when should anyone other than a council member or mayor be allowed to introduce an ordinance or ammendment? Isn't that the job of our legislatures (councilmen)? Can a citizen go to Little Rock and stand up and introduce a bill? Same government system. The parks committee should be giving their recommendation to the mayor and let him introduce it and then if the council sees fit, they make the motion to amend the ordinance. Do we need alcoholic beverages in our city parks? Are there not other places where that can be done?
Patrick

United States

#2 Nov 29, 2012
Concerned wrote:
I see in the paper where one of the parks committee members is going to introduce an ammendment to the ordinance prohibiting alcoholic beverages in city parks at the next council meeting.
1. Since when should anyone other than a council member or mayor be allowed to introduce an ordinance or ammendment? Isn't that th
e job of our legislatures (councilmen)? Can a citizen go to Little Rock and stand up and introduce a bill? Same government system. The parks committee should be giving their recommendation to the mayor and let him introduce it and then if the council sees fit, they make the motion to amend the ordinance. Do we need alcoholic beverages in our city parks? Are there not other places where that can be done?
That is a parks commission not a committee and the pavilion is used for many functions including weddings where people would tend to have alcohol. So don't spreading the rumor that it is City Parks, it is just the pavilion .
Jim Newcomb

Booneville, AR

#3 Nov 29, 2012
Patrick is correct, the Ordinance can be recommended by someone other than a Councilman or the Mayor. One of the elected officials can pick it up from that point and introduce it to the council for considertion.
Concerned

Fort Smith, AR

#4 Nov 29, 2012
Patrick wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a parks commission not a committee and the pavilion is used for many functions including weddings where people would tend to have alcohol. So don't spreading the rumor that it is City Parks, it is just the pavilion .
I stand corrected, I should have said Parks Commission. But, I stand by the rest of my statement. So, are you saying alcohol should just be allowed at the pavillion and nowhere else in the park and at no other park and at only weddings?
Concerned

Fort Smith, AR

#5 Nov 29, 2012
Jim Newcomb wrote:
Patrick is correct, the Ordinance can be recommended by someone other than a Councilman or the Mayor. One of the elected officials can pick it up from that point and introduce it to the council for considertion.
Mr. Newcomb, Patrick said nothing about who could recommend the change. Do you read well?
Tate

Fort Smith, AR

#6 Nov 29, 2012
Concerned wrote:
<quoted text> I stand corrected, I should have said Parks Commission. But, I stand by the rest of my statement. So, are you saying alcohol should just be allowed at the pavillion and nowhere else in the park and at no other park and at only weddings?
I suggest you read what I am saying. But yes I think it should and would only be at the pavilion but weddings was only an example. We are adults so if I wanted to have a meeting or fund raiser, birthday party with a beer or wine it would be nice to have it in my home town. I guess I could spend my money and rent the country club or the building on hwy 96. Or even better go to Fort Smith.
Tate

Fort Smith, AR

#7 Nov 29, 2012
Concerned wrote:
<quoted text>Mr. Newcomb, Patrick said nothing about who could recommend the change. Do you read well?
You don't read we'll do you?
Concerned

Fort Smith, AR

#8 Nov 29, 2012
Tate wrote:
<quoted text>
I suggest you read what I am saying. But yes I think it should and would only be at the pavilion but weddings was only an example. We are adults so if I wanted to have a meeting or fund raiser, birthday party with a beer or wine it would be nice to have it in my home town. I guess I could spend my money and rent the country club or the building on hwy 96. Or even better go to Fort Smith.
If you feel the need to have beer and wine, rent the building on Hwy 96, the country club, or go to Fort Smith. Stay out of the Greenwood parks.
Tate

Fort Smith, AR

#9 Nov 29, 2012
Concerned wrote:
<quoted text> If you feel the need to have beer and wine, rent the building on Hwy 96, the country club, or go to Fort Smith. Stay out of the Greenwood parks.
I guess that is why they have drive thru windows at the liquor store for people like you that want to tell everyone one else how to live.
Concerned

Clarksville, AR

#10 Nov 30, 2012
Tate wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess that is why they have drive thru windows at the liquor store for people like you that want to tell everyone one else how to live.
I do not delight in telling everyone how to live. Base you comments on what you read not what you "think" about me. The problems that this would cause for Greenwood would far out weigh the benefits of allowing parties at the park to serve alcoholic beverages. I am not against anyone having alcoholic beverages at their parties and there other places to do that besides the public parks in Greenwood. I do not know of any other public parks that allow alcoholic beverages, there may be but I am not aware of them. The county has had the same issue with the golf course at Ben Geren.
Jim Newcomb

Charleston, AR

#11 Nov 30, 2012
Concerned wrote:
1. Since when should anyone other than a council member or mayor be allowed to introduce an ordinance or ammendment? Isn't that the job of our legislatures (councilmen)? Can a citizen go to Little Rock and stand up and introduce a bill? Same government system. The parks committee should be giving their recommendation to the mayor and let him introduce it and then if the council sees fit, they make the motion to amend the ordinance. Do we need alcoholic beverages in our city parks? Are there not other places where that can be done?
Only "Elected Officials" introduce an ordinance, Resolution or amendment to be considered as law or approval. Department heads are always asking the Council to add stuff to the agenda, citizens, during the citizen’s format, can ask council to consider adding things to the agenda. Remember, the Councilmen work for the citizens. No, you can't go to Little Rock to the House or Senate Chambers and introduce a bill. But you can make an appointment with your representatives and discuss issues with them and ask them for their help to get it on the agenda. The Parks Commission is a separate entity from the rest of City Operations. They answer to the Council and are correct in bringing their requests to the Council.

By the way, I made a mistake in clicking on the wrong post to respond to. Thank you for your correction.
Tate

Fort Smith, AR

#12 Nov 30, 2012
Concerned wrote:
<quoted text> I do not delight in telling everyone how to live. Base you comments on what you read not what you "think" about me. The problems that this would cause for Greenwood would far out weigh the benefits of allowing parties at the park to serve alcoholic beverages. I am not against anyone having alcoholic beverages at their parties and there other places to do that besides the public parks in Greenwood. I do not know of any other public parks that allow alcoholic beverages, there may be but I am not aware of them. The county has had the same issue with the golf course at Ben Geren.
You might check with Fort Smith. Creekmore Park, The pavilion on the river, etc. it is allowed at all of these and more
The Whistleblower

Fort Smith, AR

#13 Nov 30, 2012
I figured the use of alcohol was rampant in Greenwood. I've seen what you dumb asses elected to the city council and you'd have to be drunk as hell to cast a vote for the majority of those losers.
Concerned

Fort Smith, AR

#14 Dec 1, 2012
Tate wrote:
<quoted text>
You might check with Fort Smith. Creekmore Park, The pavilion on the river, etc. it is allowed at all of these and more
The web site for Creekmore Park says no alcohol. I would imagine the pavilion on the river would allow it, the building is the only thing on the site, no playground, etc.
Concerned

Fort Smith, AR

#15 Dec 1, 2012
Tate wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did you get your information?
Tate

Fort Smith, AR

#16 Dec 1, 2012
Concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did you get your information?
I know what it says but I have attended events there (Christmas party) that had beer and wine. But I believe the question was city property.
Concerned

Fort Smith, AR

#17 Dec 1, 2012
Tate wrote:
<quoted text>
I know what it says but I have attended events there (Christmas party) that had beer and wine. But I believe the question was city property.
Don't understand "But I believe the question was city property". Please explain.
Patrick

Fort Smith, AR

#18 Dec 1, 2012
Concerned wrote:
<quoted text> Don't understand "But I believe the question was city property". Please explain.
You did say city parks. Isn't t that River Front Park the name of the area where the Blues Festival is held? Remember these are adults we are talking about not teenagers.
Prayer Group

Ozark, AR

#19 Dec 14, 2012
We will not go for this!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greenwood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 5 hr BARNEYII 33,322
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Arkansas (... (Oct '10) 22 hr Rockie 69
Police Harrasment Dec 26 Poteau Sicks 1
Steve Canada Nov '16 Clk 3
Fun Word Game (Oct '15) Nov '16 TashaMP 2
The Pride of Charleston: London Hewitt Oct '16 Donald Trump Supp... 2
Crenshaw Roofing (Jan '13) Oct '16 Sam Johnson 10

Greenwood Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Greenwood Mortgages