Hawaiian Falls to Greenville?

Posted in the Greenville Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
ATHF

New York, NY

#1 Aug 8, 2012
Heard a former Greenville resident and GISD graduate met with city council recently about a proposed water park to put in next to Home Depot.

Will the city council screw up this chance for economic growth?
Local Dude

Fort Worth, TX

#2 Aug 8, 2012
I'd love a Hawaiian Falls or something similar here. And, actually, the city a while back purchased all the water rights it would ever need for such a park, planning for Cobisa to come to town, especially since a lot of the water in such parks are recycled anyway.
The problems I would see are, there is a low water pressure situation in that area of the city. That's why they built that big water tower behind Home Depot several years ago. But the tower did not solve the problem, which is caused in part due to obsolete and aging infrastructure which the city cannot afford to replace, as it would likely cost several millions of dollars.
BTW, I know the city gets bashed a lot for supposedly running businesses out of town, but how would you explain all of the businesses that are rushing to come to Greenville (Weatherford, Total Equipment, Fritz, Collin Street Bakery, Donut Palace, Blue Mesquite Grill, Shogun)?
Granted, the economy sucks worldwide, which likely has more to do with businesses closing than anything the city has done or did not do. Remember, any consideration given to a business (lower taxes, whatever) is just going to be shifted to other businesses and/or taxpayers.
good thing

Quitman, TX

#3 Aug 8, 2012
great point local dude
lets dont forget Monty Stratton
I 30
There is 3 sales taking place down town
Greenville is moving when other are shut dn.
ATHF

Fort Worth, TX

#4 Aug 12, 2012
Guess it's a none issue now, it was voted down, from what I understand due to a bond issue the city didn't want to buy off on.

I guess even though the names change, the same small attitude toward business still reigns. Comparing multimillion dollar amusement park to a doughnut shop, and a Hibachi restaurant is kind of apples and oranges, wouldn't you say?

Further, ask the employees of Rubbermaid what they think about the city's stance on welcoming BIG business.
Local Dude

Fort Worth, TX

#5 Aug 13, 2012
Again, tell that to Weatherford (now working on its second major expansion in less than a year), Total Equipment (moving into the former Woodgrain Millwork plant, looking to buy almost 50 adjacent acres to expand into manufacturing in two years), Fritz (which is doing more hiring). Apparently they have no problems wanting to locate in Greenville.
Yes, Rubbermaid is closed, in part because of the city and in part because they lost their two biggest businesses serving the Lone Star State, Walmart and Kmart. The Rubbermaid plant had shifted operations from other factories to Greenville on multiple occasions in the past.
The Walton Development will cover more than 6,600 acres just west of Greenville, with the developers ASKING to be included in the city's ETJ.
The City Council just approved allowing freeport tax exemptions for local industries to encourage additional development.
So yeah, that is really small minded ...
I mentioned the other businesses because it is not just industries who are wanting to come to Greenville, but retail as well.
But hey, the country (not just Greenville) is slowly, very slowly, coming out of the worst economic slump since the Great Depression (some people say we had it even worse, due to the length of the recesssion). Factories and industries are closing down all over United States and all over the world, unemployment is at record levels across the board.
But yeah, go ahead and blame the City of Greenville, which is already stretched to the limit in its bonded indebtedness, for not jumping on the chance to issue some more bonds, thereby guaranteeing an increase in the local property tax rate, for a business which is likely, once construction is completed, would generate a few dozen minimum wage jobs for about four months a year.. Gee, what were they thinking?
Local Dude

Fort Worth, TX

#6 Aug 14, 2012
Actually the final decision may not have been made on that. The City Council is meeting tonight on a proposed economic development project, code named "Project Wave" which would probably fit the description of a water park.
The details of the project are kept confidential during the negotiations phase and tonight's meeting is being conducted under executive session, with any final vote coming during an open session.
The project would also be included under the city's Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone (TIRZ) and that board is scheduled to meet next Monday on a proposed project.
ATHF
#7 Aug 17, 2012
I'm sure these local retail and restaurants, not to mention hotels, would hate for Greenville to actually have some sort of attraction for visitors to feed their tills. Of that the tax revenue generated from would surely be a terrible way to help the city out of their budget hassle.

Greenville has always been welcoming to expansion, that's why East Texas Teachers' college wound up in Commerce, and why Chili's was held up over the Chili on the front porch.

But hey, when I see town like McKinney and Rockwall continue to outpace this fair metropolis, it's easy to see where the good business decisions are made.
Local Dude

Fort Worth, TX

#8 Aug 17, 2012
Or, like I said, the city could spend the who knows how many millions of dollars it would take to upgrade the infrastructure needed to bring the park to town, which would require a bond issuance which, as I mentioned above, would be almost impossible given the city's current level of bonded indebtedness without having to raise the property tax rate which, I am just going to assume, most people in the city would not support.
Yes, having Hawaiian Falls would be wonderful and Greenville would be a great fit for a park. Not sure about next to Home Depot, since a huge shopping center is already going in there, but maybe out by the SportsPark, once they get Monty Stratton Parkway completed.
But just wishing and hoping is not going to make it happen.
As I understand it, it is still a possibility, but if it doesn't happen, there are a lot of other reasons why it didn't other than automatically blaming the City Council.
Oh, and the Chili's incident which you refer to was something completely blown out of proportion. At that time, Chili's used a large pepper as their primary sign. The folks at Chili's asked the city if they could use it locally, as it was understood such a sign was against the city's ordinance (due to some less desireable businesses using everything from half-buried cars to knights in a suit of armor wearing jeans at their signs outside) unless a permit was granted allowing an exception. Chili's asked for the permit and the Planning and Zoning Commission voted to grant it unanimously.
And, if you have to go back 100 years or so just to prove your point, I can imagine you might find similar examples with McKinney, Rockwall or whoever.
Local Dude

Royse City, TX

#9 Aug 19, 2012
Jack

Arlington, TX

#10 Aug 20, 2012
HEY, that's great about the shopping center! I hope the meeting goes well and they get that thing underway. And I hope it involves a Target and Kohl's, as the rumors have said.
Local Dude

Royse City, TX

#11 Aug 20, 2012
ATHF, I don't know where you got your information, but it is not a dead project.
Local Dude

Royse City, TX

#12 Aug 26, 2012
Duckster

Rockwall, TX

#13 Aug 30, 2012
ATHF wrote:
Further, ask the employees of Rubbermaid what they think about the city's stance on welcoming BIG business.
ATHF - I'd like to hear what you think the City had to do with Rubbermaid. I think you've bought into a bunch of false rumors...

“Benjamin Collins”

Since: Sep 07

Greenville, Tx

#14 Aug 31, 2012
I would also rather see the water park out by the sports park. Seems like a natural fit. Monty Stratton will expand traffic capacity on that side of town, and it would be more visible there to passers-by. Putting in next to home depot (and behind Tamale's, right?) would be a minor planning disaster.

The biggest issue I can foresee with HF is financing. A bond would be hard to pass right now, and the city doesn't have spare cash to throw at the project.
just saying

Harker Heights, TX

#15 Sep 23, 2012
I hope the price of admission is cheaper then the Hawaiian falls in Waco. 24.99 for what they consider and adult.
Local Dude

Fort Worth, TX

#16 Sep 24, 2012
The admission price won't be set until sometime before the park opens, which would be 2014 at the earliest. However, that would likely be the price, or maybe a little higher, as the park is expected to include the "adventure" elements. Still, as Hawaiian Falls lets you bring in your own food, it is still pretty inexpensive.
Local Dude

Fort Worth, TX

#17 Oct 1, 2012
Local Dude

Royse City, TX

#18 Oct 7, 2012
Local Dude

Fort Worth, TX

#19 Oct 9, 2012
Local Dude

Fort Worth, TX

#20 Oct 10, 2012

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greenville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
single (Oct '15) Thu Slutbuster2 10
News Phony 4-star, others infiltrate Marine Corps As... (Jul '09) Feb 13 Mind Your Manners 6
News "The blackest land and the whitest people" (Mar '08) Feb 9 FART ROBOTICS 88
Moving to Greenville TX (May '15) Feb 9 Mishie Baer Proctor 18
GEUS misinformation (Dec '11) Feb 2 Unhappy 25
Herald Banner Reporter (Apr '17) Jan 28 Bud light 7
News Moises Mendoza to file appeal (Oct '06) Jan 26 Marie 252

Greenville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Greenville Mortgages