Down Town Greenville

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#1 Feb 8, 2012
Why is it that there are crosswalks and people who work in, around, or near the courthouse think that they don't have to use them? Isn't that an offense that they can receive a ticket for? AND when did the law change that you can make a LEFT on a red light? Another question...Where are the Greenville PD to write these peole a ticket for violating the law? Do your jobs!!
Local Dude

Fort Worth, TX

#2 Feb 8, 2012
The law allowing a left hand turn at a red light, from a left lane, when both streets are one way and there are no oncoming cars, has been around for several years, if not decades, in Texas.
As to why the Greenville Police Department doesn't crack down on jaywalkers more often ... I guess they feel they have more important things to do.
Local Dude

Fort Worth, TX

#3 Feb 8, 2012

Location hidden

#4 Feb 9, 2012
Local Dude wrote:
The law allowing a left hand turn at a red light, from a left lane, when both streets are one way and there are no oncoming cars, has been around for several years, if not decades, in Texas.
As to why the Greenville Police Department doesn't crack down on jaywalkers more often ... I guess they feel they have more important things to do.
Then why did the city spend taxpayer money to put in an additional turn signal???? And tell me the more important things they have to do? Every city is crying about a balanced budget when Gville can get more money from ticketing all of these jaywalkers or scrape them up off of the ground because they don't use the crosswalks. In January the city also posted a notice regarding this but have NOT enforced it! Go see for yourself on the city's website.
Local Dude

Fort Worth, TX

#5 Feb 9, 2012
What new turn signal?
And the city does not install traffic signals, the Texas Department of Transportation does. The only traffic signal that was owned and operated by the city was at the intersection of Stonewall and Stanford Streets, and was removed because it was obsolete and would cost too much for the city to repair or replace.
Yes, an officer with the Greenville Police Department will likely stop and write a citation if they observe someone jaywalking. But I personally don't believe it is in the city's best interest, considering all of the other crime problems we have, to park a uniformed officer at one of the downtown intersections 12 to 24 hours a day, in the hopes of catching one. Because most people probably wouldn't jaywalk if they saw a uniformed officer standing there anyway.
While were on the topic, as someone who walks to the courthouse every day, it would also be nice if drivers actually observed that pedestrians who cross at the crosswalk with the light actually do have the right-of-way and that THEY are supposed to stop and wait for us to cross first.
Local Dude

Fort Worth, TX

#6 Feb 9, 2012
And, not to beat a dead horse about this, but do we really want to use our police officers strictly as a revenue-generating system for the city? There are those who would claim thats what they are anyway, but I personally do not believe that.

Location hidden

#7 Feb 9, 2012
They only have to be there a couple of hours a day! When court house workers go in and when they leave!!!! You are right as long as they use the cross walk they do have the right of way and I observe that right as long as they are in the crosswalk..
Local Dude

Fort Worth, TX

#8 Feb 9, 2012
But again, how many people would jaywalk if a uniformed officer is standing there in plain sight? And which corner of the courthouse do you put him/her on?
Normally, there are only four officers on patrol during any shift, so for two hours a day or so, you would have the officers on duty reduced by 25 percent in the hopes of the city recouping no more than a handful of fines?
I understand that you are upset about the folks jaywalking and, as I said, I understand that it is a problem.
I just don't particularly agree with your solution.

Location hidden

#9 Feb 9, 2012
life goes on... it is just a way to vent.... Have a good one
Sinclair

Royse City, TX

#10 May 17, 2012
How about all the elected officials who park in customer parking areas and flaunt the 2 hour parking limit law? The county has designated parking they won't allow the public to use, but their own employees insist on taking up the parking on the streets.
Local Dude

Fort Worth, TX

#11 May 17, 2012
If you see that happening, call the police and turn them in.
Big Guy

Royse City, TX

#12 May 20, 2012
Was in Greenville last week and the downtown is really coming back to life. It was pretty sad a few years ago. Good to see the old downtowns thriving again.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greenville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Idiot at work Jun 25 Nat Sass 11
Gospel Broadcasting Network Jun 23 Sosthenes 17
Gay Friendly places (Jan '11) Jun 22 Jakefromstate 12
ANOTHER murder Jun 18 concerned 2
Flags on the Interstate Jun 18 Driving Thru 1
News Cotton Boll ArtFest in Greenville June 4-5 Jun 14 ELISE GINGERICH 1
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Jun 13 robert 994
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Greenville Mortgages