The real reason why there is so much ...

The real reason why there is so much crime in Hunt County, or anywhere else

Posted in the Greenville Forum

Local Dude

Fort Worth, TX

#1 Jun 14, 2012
I know I am going to get bombarded for this, but I'd just like to explain what I believe is the real reason why there is so much crime in Hunt County, or anywhere else.
Are you ready?
It is because people are committing more crimes.
It is not because law enforcement is not arresting the criminals. Several thousand individuals are arrested every year in this county, on charges ranging from simple drug possession (which, yes, is still against the law) to capital murder.
And people still keep committing more crimes.
It is not the prosecutors, who file several hundred felony indictments each year and several thousand misdemeanor charges each year.
It is not the judges, who either sentence the worst offenders to lengthy prison terms or give those who may have a chance at redemption probation in the hopes that they will finally turn their lives around.
I know this response is coming:

"Well, the entire (name your least favorite law enforcement agency/governmental entity) is corrupt and on kickbacks."

People are still out there committing more crimes. And, when the population goes up, there will be more people committing more crimes.

Or: "I know for a fact that (my neighbor/girlfriend's brother/vagrant across the street) is selling drugs and they've never arrested (him/her/them)."

Maybe that is because there are so many other people committing so many more crimes.
Face it: The jail always has hundreds of inmates in its population, some bigger cases take two to three years to prosecute because of the backlog as there are only so many prosecutors/defense attorneys/judges/courtrooms to go around.
There are loads of examples of individuals in this county who have done significant prison time, are released, and then turn around and start committing more crimes.

Instead of getting so angry at the officers/lawyers/judges for supposedly not doing their jobs, how about getting angry at all these idiots who are keeping them in business to begin with?
so agree

Haslet, TX

#2 Jun 14, 2012
Local Dude wrote:
I know I am going to get bombarded for this, but I'd just like to explain what I believe is the real reason why there is so much crime in Hunt County, or anywhere else.
Are you ready?
It is because people are committing more crimes.
It is not because law enforcement is not arresting the criminals. Several thousand individuals are arrested every year in this county, on charges ranging from simple drug possession (which, yes, is still against the law) to capital murder.
It is not the prosecutors, who file several hundred felony indictments each year and several thousand misdemeanor charges each year.
It is not the judges, who either sentence the worst offenders to lengthy prison terms or give those who may have a chance at redemption probation in the hopes that they will finally turn their lives around.
I know this response is coming:

"Well, the entire (name your least favorite law enforcement agency/governmental entity) is corrupt and on kickbacks."

People are still out there committing more crimes. And, when the population goes up, there will be more people committing more crimes.

Or: "I know for a fact that (my neighbor/girlfriend's brother/vagrant across the street) is selling drugs and they've never arrested (him/her/them)."

Maybe that is because there are so many other people committing so many more crimes.
Face it: The jail always has hundreds of inmates in its population, some bigger cases take two to three years to prosecute because of the backlog as there are only so many prosecutors/defense attorneys/judges/courtrooms to go around.
There are loads of examples of individuals in this county who have done significant prison time, are released, and then turn around and start committing more crimes.

Instead of getting so angry at the officers/lawyers/judges for supposedly not doing their jobs, how about getting angry at all these idiots who are keeping them in business to begin with?
Couldn't have said it better myself. I would add it goes back to the sorry parenting and single mothers (not that they're the issue, but their choices in men and or the sorriness of the men they CHOOSE to get involved with). Maybe if they got a good ol' fashioned ass whipping back when, society wouldn't have to do it now.
so agree

Arlington, TX

#3 Jun 19, 2012
I guess people don't want to face reality. So much easier to justify their behavior and blame others and keep on keeping on. So so sorry.
Jack

Arlington, TX

#4 Jun 23, 2012
What is the point of this post? The real question is:

Why is there so much more crime in Greenville than in other places?

And it's a perfectly legitimate question to ask.

There is something terribly wrong with this town, and it's such a shame because it has a lot of potential, but I can assure you that people who could change this town avoid it because of the crime. Look at this link. It's SHOCKING.
http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Greenvil...

Local Dude

Royse City, TX

#5 Jun 24, 2012
My point was that people tend to get on here and blame law enforcement, or their city/county representative, or the state, or illegal immigrants for the crime in the community.
In short, people spend an awful lot of time looking for someone or something to blame for the crime problem, when the reality is, more people are committing more crimes.
Local law enforcement and prosecutors are maxed out making arrests and putting people in jail/prison and on probation.
Major crime in Greenville at this time last year was at its lowest point in seven years.
But we apparently have a high percentage of people in our population (and they represent all segments of the population) who just don't give a flip about the consequences of their actions or how those actions affect themselves, their friends and family and the rest of the community.
Which is why I said, and say again, the reason why we have so much crime is that people keep committing the crimes.
Jack

Fort Worth, TX

#6 Jun 29, 2012
But...do you have any actual insight as to why there is so much crime specifically in Greenville versus other towns, regardless of size? Have you lived in Greenville for a long time, and do you remember a time when things were better here?

I think you probably mean well, but saying that there is more crime because people commit crimes doesn't help at all. Surely you want this to be a safer place to live.
Local Dude

Fort Worth, TX

#7 Jun 29, 2012
Again, I don't know the reasons WHY people are committing the crimes and, as I mentioned, the major crime rate is actually lower than it has been for several years. Likely it is a myriad of reasons. You have a lower average income than in some cities (if you compare us to Frisco or Heath), and likely higher than in some others (if you compare us to Commerce or Sulphur Springs).
The same can likely be held true for education level.
Personally, I would attribute some of the problem to city and county government officials being unable to hire additional law enforcement personnel, or increase the pay of existing officers to match other area cities, due to budget constraints which result in part from local residents not wanting their taxes raised.
In short, we have fewer officers working the streets, for less pay than their counterparts in other locations.
Although, as I again pointed out, the officers we do have are apparently doing a good job at making thousands of arrests which lead to several hundred felony indictments per year.
The courts are backlogged, so we might need another district court to deal with that issue, but that would also mean having to raise taxes to pay for a new courtroom, courtroom personnel and prosecutors.
But any significant increases in the numbers of arrests and jail time given to the offenders will result in the need for a new and larger jail, and we are still embroiled in a legal battle concerning how badly the current jail was constructed. A new jail would cost money which, again, would require raising taxes.
I could go on and on, and I hate to sound like a depressing broken record. On the other hand, the Greenville Police Department has been very active in community initiatives such as the Summer of Safety program, Teen Police Academy and Kids Camp which involve hundreds of local youngsters in free, safe and productive activities. The same can be said for the library, Drug Free Greenville, etc.
But, again, until a certain and apparently growing segment of the population realizes that hey, maybe it isn't a good idea to consume, sell and transport narcotics; or rob people at gunpoint; or solve disputes with their neighbor or spouse with gunfire; we are going to continue to have a crime problem.
Jack

Fort Worth, TX

#8 Jun 29, 2012
Good response. Thanks, Dude. And Happy Friday.:)
Local Dude

Fort Worth, TX

#9 Jun 29, 2012
To you as well sir.
Joel

Greenville, TX

#10 Jun 29, 2012
This is totally misleading. I've lived in Greenville for several years and it is BY FAR THE SAFEST place I have ever lived! There may be some druggies around the mall area that create problems among themselves, but they are not causing a crime spree like these people are making it sound. It would be hard to even find a noise disturbance in this quiet little town.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greenville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tent City (Jul '13) 14 hr Old Horny and Drunk 55
Commerce City Manager Aug 13 Dfw 2
Poll How do you rate GEUS? (Jan '11) Aug 8 doolittle 17
News Quinlan ISD police rearrest teacher accused of ... (Feb '16) Jul 25 cracker 2
Moving to Greenville TX (May '15) Jul 25 cracker 13
New Roadside Park (Mar '15) Jul 22 Chs 12
Rodger Dale DeMent Sr. Suck Jul '17 Rita 1

Greenville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Greenville Mortgages