Posted in the Greenville Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Jasper

Greenville, TX

#1 Sep 5, 2012
WFAA
GREENVILLE — The Hunt County Sheriff's Department has just released 350 pages of documents and photos from its investigation into the death of a sacred white buffalo near Greenville.
Two weeks ago, the sheriff closed the case, saying Lightning Medicine Cloud died of natural causes.
The animal's owner, Arby Little Soldier, disagrees with that conclusion.
These new documents seem to do two things:
Contradict Little Soldier's story
He's been saying the animal was skinned by whoever killed it. Now, these new police records show his wife, Pat, told authorities the animal's hooves had been removed and 200 pounds of meat were hacked out.
But the newly-released photos show the hooves intact with patches of skin still on its body.
Questions about Little Soldier's finances
The documents include Little Soldier's bank records and copies of checks written by the public for a reward fund to solve the crime. The investigator concludes that $7,345 of reward money cannot be accounted for.
Little Soldier, a Lakota Indian, told News 8 that all the money is accounted for, and that the biggest donation —$5,000 — was given with the stipulation that he could use it at his discretion.
He said those funds were used to help pay for a Pow Wow in Lightning Medicine Cloud's honor.
Little Soldier said these documents are just a way for the county to get back at him, because he was alleging a cover-up.
He now says he plans to sue Hunt County.
E-mail [email protected]
Local Dude

Fort Worth, TX

#2 Sep 5, 2012
So, in other words, the papers reveal EXACTLY WHAT THE SHERIFF SAID BEFORE, which we reported on weeks ago.
Boy, do I feel ashamed ...
I've said it before and I'll say it again. You don't like the paper, fine. Don't read it. If for some reason it is your personal goal in life to try and ridicule the hard working people at the paper, who more often than not scoop the Dallas media on story after story after story, then you're the one with the problem.
By the way, you might also mention how the newspaper, despite what the Dallas media said over and over and over again, never reported the buffalo had been skinned. That was just rumor which was never attributed to any particular source until much later on and, coincidentally, turned out to be false.
Larry

United States

#3 Sep 5, 2012
That's why they call it the Herald Blunder!
Michael

United States

#4 Sep 5, 2012
Plus, their so-called reporters have swallowed Little Soldiers' BS for years. They don't have the guts to print the truth now.
well

Forney, TX

#5 Sep 5, 2012
Local Dude...I like the HB and always appreciate/enjoy reading your well written and thought out posts on Topix. Problem I have with this case and several others in the past is this....you all know that law enforcement can't and won't fully discuss open cases or those where charges, but that doesn't prevent you all (the media) from reporting the "other side." Then, by the time the case is over, no one really reports on it because interest is lost. I know it's your job to report, but the integrity of the facts are sometimes questionable at best.
Local Dude

Royse City, TX

#6 Sep 5, 2012
My point is, here are prime examples where folks are lauding the Dallas news media for supposedly "scooping" the newspaper, when the story they are reporting is just the paperwork which says the same thing which we already reported. And this the same Dallas news media which reported on and for three months ran with what turned out to be blatantly incorrect information as gospel concerning the deaths of the buffalo, which made this a much larger story than it ever deserved to be in the first place.
But hey, if the Dallas TV stations are whom people want to rely on for their information about Greenville, when they might cover one story a month and often get their facts wrong, that's their choice.
well

Forney, TX

#7 Sep 5, 2012
Local Dude wrote:
My point is, here are prime examples where folks are lauding the Dallas news media for supposedly "scooping" the newspaper, when the story they are reporting is just the paperwork which says the same thing which we already reported. And this the same Dallas news media which reported on and for three months ran with what turned out to be blatantly incorrect information as gospel concerning the deaths of the buffalo, which made this a much larger story than it ever deserved to be in the first place.
But hey, if the Dallas TV stations are whom people want to rely on for their information about Greenville, when they might cover one story a month and often get their facts wrong, that's their choice.
Agree, but you also lauded the HB by posting a link after the press conference a couple weeks ago and were challenged that no one cared. Additionally, they did say the buffalo was slaughtered and skinned, but no longer. There were also some new accusations about misappropriation of reward money. Seems there is much more to this story than the media wants to look into now. Just sayin'.....
Local Dude

Royse City, TX

#8 Sep 5, 2012
well wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree, but you also lauded the HB by posting a link after the press conference a couple weeks ago and were challenged that no one cared. Additionally, they did say the buffalo was slaughtered and skinned, but no longer. There were also some new accusations about misappropriation of reward money. Seems there is much more to this story than the media wants to look into now. Just sayin'.....
I lauded the HB story, because (a) it was the first to report on the results of the sheriff's investigation and the press conference ... before the Dallas media (after the newspaper reported a month earlier that the sheriff had concluded his investigation)... and (b) because if you read the story the newspaper was the only media outlet to report that the investigation had been presented to the district attorney, who also found that no criminal activity had occurred, certainly nothing indictable. Yes, there are questions over what happened to the money, but if the sheriff and Texas Rangers and the DA all say that there was nothing criminal there, then chances are there was nothing criminal there. It would be pretty irresponsible of any media outlet to continue to publicly accuse someone of a crime if all of the investigating agencies don't feel one has occurred. And, remember, at the time the sheriff conducted his press conference, he was in the middle of a joint investigation with federal authorities concerning a meth ring operating out of the Greenville area,which led to 30 arrests across North Texas, starting the day after he had the press conference, which he probably believed was more important than questions surrounding the diseased deaths of two buffalo. BTW, the newspaper reported that story first also, a full day before the Dallas news media.
Save Hunt County

Flint, TX

#9 Sep 6, 2012
Sheriff reports are public records and fall under the open records act. Little Cloud angry that documents are released = Wants to sue Hunt County; in my mind indicates he wants money. What is he suing for, damages to his reputation? He already has done that enoungh on his own. The buffalo was dead for 5-6 days before it was reported to the Sheriffs office. ALC shut up, take some animal science classes, give your buffalo shots and treatments they deserve.
life long

Mineola, TX

#10 Sep 7, 2012
THANK YOU Local Dude.
and Save Hunt County for taking a stand we need more of it.
Nathan

Greenville, TX

#11 Sep 25, 2012
The truth is that "local dude" needs to get over himself. His reporting is sloppy and half-you-know what. But that doesn't stop him from having an over-inflated opinion of himself. The Herald-Banner needs to hire some aggressive reporters or they will continue to be the Herald Blunder.
yep

United States

#12 Sep 25, 2012
Nathan wrote:
The truth is that "local dude" needs to get over himself. His reporting is sloppy and half-you-know what. But that doesn't stop him from having an over-inflated opinion of himself. The Herald-Banner needs to hire some aggressive reporters or they will continue to be the Herald Blunder.
100% agree.
Local Dude

Fort Worth, TX

#13 Sep 25, 2012
Nathan wrote:
No, I freely admit I am not perfect. Far from it. I makes more mistakes than I should. However, I will always take offense when people go out of their way to find fault with the company I work for and the product it creates, especially when they are completely mistaken in their assumptions. By posting that we were "scooped" — when we actually weren't — it makes me question whether the individual is (a) just wanting to be hateful or (b) wanting to be willfully ignorant of what is actually in the paper from day to day. Either way, if he/she is obviously not reading the paper, then why are they complaining?
Ollie

Greenville, TX

#14 Sep 25, 2012
I try to read the Herald Banner but it just sucks so bad I can't get through it (and it is only 12 pages, ha!)
controverse

Dallas, TX

#15 Jan 17, 2013
new editor may clean things up, but he has to lose the shackles of the good ol boys to be a real paper. and not just constantly p0wned and scooped
and

Lockhart, TX

#16 Jan 17, 2013
controverse wrote:
new editor may clean things up, but he has to lose the shackles of the good ol boys to be a real paper. and not just constantly p0wned and scooped
And lose the reporters who constantly defend their poor skills.
controverse

Dallas, TX

#17 Jan 18, 2013
amen. pathetic PUNTS
Danny

Greenville, TX

#18 Jan 18, 2013
Blunder Keller actually thinks he is good. They need an extreme makeover!
Farley

Greenville, TX

#19 Jan 21, 2013
Read the latest Texas Monthly and get the story on the white buffalo that the Herald Banner wouldn't print. We always have to get the real story somewhere other than our own newspaper. Lame.
controverse

Dallas, TX

#20 Jan 22, 2013
Yeah, the Herald is as crooked as downtown judges. They only hand pick letters to the editor, I know.I spoke to three candidates who ran for office in 2012 and they said you are wasting your time. They only print whatever a judge won't slap them for. unless they run a front page 100 year old murder mystery. Its a JOKE!!! The dont do any investigative reporting so as to nt upset their cozy apple cart. they hate outside TV stations rollin in doing the buffalo story and anything Hunt cty that could become controversial. steals print sales. Its GOoD ol BOY business all round. and EXTREME makeover, I say

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greenville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Beer And Wine (Dec '09) Dec 1 KAS 9
CBS-11 on GEUS (Nov '12) Nov 29 Kathy Armstrong 23
Unusual turn of events in custody case Nov 25 yes 2
News Caddo Mills student says high school's paddling... (Nov '07) Nov 19 Corny Fencer Need... 46
News Craft-Turney Water Supply issues boil water notice Nov '16 WATER IS LIFE 2
Idiot at work (Apr '16) Oct '16 Ura Louzer 13
News Sammy Sadler releasing 'In America' country mus... Oct '16 Anonymous 10

Greenville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Greenville Mortgages