Bristol, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2012

yep wrote:
Greer is nice,so is simpsonville. Upstate has everything from city life to small quiet country areas. I prefer southern greenville myself. Aint much goin on down here in possum kingdom.
Thanks! We are retiring and hope to move to SC. My husband is an electrician and I believe that SC has a reciprocal agreement with MA.

It's very hard to zero in on a place to concentrate on. Are there areas in the Greenville area that you would NOT recommend?
Greenvillian

Greenville, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

Judged:

galt wrote:
I live in RI and am thinking of moving to Greer, or some other suburb of Greenville. I visited recently and really thought Greenville was a beautiful city. The cost of living appears to be very low compared to RI where we are being taxes to death. I like that SC is a right to work state, and that E-verify is state-mandated. We are planning a trip back in January and was wondering what other towns we should consider. We like a town with a "downtown" feel, as opposed to strip mall downtown. No children involved so schools system is not top priority. Is Upstate friendly to northerners?
Is upcountry S. C. friendly to northerners?? YOU BET! In fact, I'm a native Greenvillian and distinctly in the minority any more!! It's rare I meet anyone who is originally from Greenville (and I'm very active in a number of civic organizations). Come on down. We hate Yankees, but we love northerners.

I've only visited R.I. a couple of times, so can't compare your roads, but having family in Michigan, I can confirm that our roads are FAR superior to theirs, contrary to an earlier poster. Of course, we don't have the bitter cold winters that cause all the upheaval and potholes.
Greenvillian

Greenville, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

Judged:

I grew up in Greenville, but didn't appreciate how great it is until I had lived in a number of different places. Now I have a basis of comparison (having been in 46 states), and I won't live anywhere else.

Every place has its good and bad points, but here the good far, far outweigh the bad.(And there's NO downtown that can equal Greenville's, except possibly San Antonio or Skagway.)
Moback

Greer, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2012

I had absolutely bad experience in Greenville, SC. The city isn't diverse just black and white only. The people in Greenville aren't friendly. What I notice was that if you look different, the first question they ask you were where are you from? instead of how are you? I also notice that so many black people are redneck in SC. I have Shocking experience in Greenville, SC just for few months then I moved in different State that have more diverse. I wouldn't recommend for anyone come from diverse background.
Moback

Greer, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2012

I had absolutely bad experience in Greenville, SC. The city isn't diverse just black and white only. The people in Greenville aren't friendly. What I notice was that if you look different, the first question they ask you were where are you from? instead of how are you? I also notice that so many black people are redneck in SC. I have Shocking experience in Greenville, SC just for few months since I had been there now I moved in different State that have more diverse. I wouldn't recommend for anyone come from diverse background.
yep

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

Yes greenville is absolutely diverse.i have worked witn blacks,germans,phillipinos,cam bodian,laotians,
Mexican,peurtaricans,and from india
lorri

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

I am thinking of moveing to greenville sc ,is it easy to fine jobs and homes

Since: Feb 13

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Hi,

Hoping some NY metro folks can give me some candid feedback. I recently visited Greenville and surrounding areas with my family and I loved it. I have 2 girls in 2nd and 3rd grade, my family is practicing Roman Catholic, and from Long Island. We are interested in a few areas Powdersville/Easley, Greer, Simpsonville, and Greenville. I have mainly been looking at the following school districts...Wren, Powdersville, JL Mann, Riverside, and Blue Ridge. My wife has a few concerns that I was hoping you can shed light on...coming from NY she is concerned there is not much to do for the kids...we went to libraries and noticed not many if any after school programs like we have at out local library and the children's section are fairly limited. Are the activities for kids more run thru the schools and churches? We went to the Greenville Zoo and Children's Museum which were fairly limited, however we were there for only a few days, so would love to learn more what activities there are to do with the kids.

Also she is concerned with us being Roman Catholic and the area being predom Baptist that it may be tough to fit in for the kids. Now in NY my kids go to religion class with many of their friends and she is worried that kids may judge our kids as different. In my mind all the folks I have met in the Greenville area have been very nice, however living and visiting can sometime be very different. I have never judged someone based on their religion. How has your experiences been and with a limited # of Catholic churches has it been tough to get a community feel when going to church?

Most importantly if you can speak to your transition coming from the NY metro area for schools, church, activities, and anything that you think is important. Thanks.
TMC

Pensacola, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Ok, there are somany diverse comments about Greenville here, I am thinking about miving thee with my wife and 11 year old, straight up how's the crime? People and things to do? We are from Northwest Florida.
cesira kelleher

Westfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Me and my husband were thinking about moving to the Greenville area. Reading some of these posts has me unsure of doing this now. We are in our forties and both friendly people. We are from New England, MA to be exact and I am always saying hi to everyone and they look at me like I am crazy. Although I make friends easily in my opinion if you can get a New Englander to say hi to you, you can get anyone to say hello to you. I find people in the NE very clicky and non friendly so I think its true, it is was you make of it!!!

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

Also there is a ton of things for the kids to do after school here on Long Island...is it the same in the following areas...Powdersville, Greer, Simpsonville, Greenville? My 2 girls are active in the roman catholic church, library after school programs(to many to mention), girl scouts, karate, art classes, dance, sports thru the school districts for elementary school kids...i.e. basketball, lacrosse, and soccer. There are also a ton of summer camps run through the county such as science, art, music, etc.

What are the kids doing after school??
Donald

Norwich, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Hello,
I too have been thinking of relocating to Greenville from Connecticut. I am a tour bus driver and talking to a company there about employment. I need help with housing so elderly mom will be comfortable there when I am at work. Any help would be most appriaciated.
easley

Burnsville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Worst state in the union. There are jobs but you will pay dearly for having one. Their state government is totally corrupt. If you are a millionaire you will be welcomed but expected to pay. Search---- south carolina corrupt politians.
mhp

Bristol, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2013

We have been looking into SC for about three years, and seriously for the last four months. We have purchased a home in Greer. Why SC? For us it's because the numbers work. We are moving from RI which is a very expensive place to live. The taxes are outrageous and getting worse everyday. Our monthly living expenses will be cut in half. The best thing about this area is that there are four definitive seasons in the year, which we love. We don't have children in school so that was not a consideration. Greenville is a thriving, bustling city with a lot going for it. Everyone we have met is extremely friendly and outgoing (as opposed to New England frostiness.) We are looking forward to the move.
Tina

Charlevoix, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

vERY WELL PUT, NOW IF ANYONE WILL LISTEN. i SURE DID!
OBZ2008 wrote:
I find it very interesting that the central theme of the complaints concerning the Greenville area has to do with how Greenville, and its outlying communities such as Simpsonville, has lost the very things that attracted people from other parts of the nation and the world to move to Greenville. Has anyone ever thought deeply about that concept? Road rage..crazy drivers..where did Greenvilians learn about that - who showed them how to do it? Bet it wasn't a "home grown" trait. Better yet, I wonder just how many long term Greenvilians are the actual perpetrators of crazy driving and road rage....hmmmm...something to think about. It's very easy to lump everyone into the same category, but it takes much more people skills to truly get to know a person regardless of their origin of birth or previous state address. I apologize to those who have been befriended and then hurt - for those who continue to feel like outsiders, etc. However, no matter where you go in the world, there will ALWAYS be haves and have-nots. There will ALWAYS be those who are so insecure within their own skin that excluding someone else or being friendly then nasty makes them feel like they are somebody. The characteristics are the same everywhere - only the names and faces change. I challenge those who feel like they don't fit in or feel they are spinning their wheels in a "cliche" town, church, or area to change their disposition by reaching out to someone else. It is when we focus on befriending someone else and helping those less fortunate than ourselves that our hurt feelings tend to put themselves where they belong - in the back seat. If we truly follow the golden rule, we cannot be blamed for not being good, kind, encouraging, and thoughtful of others regardless of how we think we may have been mistreated. It's time to start being adults and get off the playground with our silly "I am better than you" games. Greenville is like any other growing city/county; it is constantly changing. There is no way an influx of different cultures, characters, ways of life can come into an area and not change it. We need to all work hard to each do our part to keep Greenville as much of a beautiful and vibrant town that it is...and let's be nice to each other while we're at it.
Tina

Charlevoix, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Thanks, very nicely put! I hope others read this. I wonder at the negative comments if they aren't made to keep others out sometimes. Just a guess on my part. When someone finds a diamond are they willing to share....really? We're all from this Country we should get past certain things and treat each other better. NOT South & NORTH. I've never understood that. I feel equal to others and would like them to feel the same about me. Being I guess a NORTHENER and seeing others from the SOUTH vacation here I like to think I accept them better than what I'am seeing here. jUST MY OPINIONS FOLKS!
mhp

Bristol, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

I would also like to add, as testament to the genuine friendliness of the people in "upstate" that when we were house-hunting in January we met several folks in coffee shops, restaurants, etc. and we exchanged phone numbers. I have received phone calls from several of these people over the last few weeks extending a welcome and offering to be of help is I needed anything. It gave me such a warm, comfortable feeling!!

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Question on schools???

I have narrowed my search to Greer and Simpsonville. Both Oakview and Beuna Vista look great for elementary schools. My question is between Beck/JL Mann and Riverside Middle/High. In your opinion which is the better combination. We are leaning towards Riverside, however it seems the nicer sub-divisions are in Simpsonville(Cobblestone, Spaulding, Kilgore, Kingsbridge, etc.). We also like the Thornblade area however they are linked to Northwood Middle School which I have not heard anything good. Do most of the Thornblade community try to send their kids to Riverside Middle?

Please share your input. Thx.

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

One additional question on the Price of Peace Church in Taylors. If you attend mass there and send your kids for religon can share your thoughts on the church and religon education services for the kids. Thx.
Kerry

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

Don't move here, the crime is terrible, the schools are terrible, taxes are terrible. Little Chicago.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Greenville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
S.C. education department out of the loop in wr... 12 hr MikeF 4
SC SC state senator refers to candidate as 'raghead' (Jun '10) Thu NEW PAIR OF GLASSES 1,146
freepier jerk a hummilated stingrays journey Aug 19 Captain petropulas 30
used tire & creme soda Aug 19 Captain petropulas 8
John Huff named New Bern Sun Journal editor (Dec '07) Aug 17 Laurel Smith 7
Greenville Business opportunity for Local resid... (Jun '10) Aug 16 chrisayers 2
Student wears KKK T-shirt to S.C. school (Apr '08) Aug 16 chrisayers 102

Search the Greenville Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Greenville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Greenville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE