Hit-and-run suspect arrested

Hit-and-run suspect arrested

There are 63 comments on the Myrtle Beach Online story from Jun 3, 2008, titled Hit-and-run suspect arrested. In it, Myrtle Beach Online reports that:

A Massachusetts man was arrested Monday on charges in connection with a motorcycle crash that occurred Harley Davidson spring rally, according to a Surfside Beach police report.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Myrtle Beach Online.

Since: May 08

Conway, SC

#47 Jun 10, 2008
bike fest attendee wrote:
I am shocked that this happen during the Harley Ralley and not a single person has yelled to stop the Harley Ralley.
as i said before, he was on a crotch rocket.
dude, PLEASE look at the $$$$, we the taxpayers of Myrtle Beach have to pay during the rallies .
10 days of harley rally cost the taxpayers only $6,000 more than 4 days of atlantic beach bikefest.
that is a fact,$143,000 for harley week
$137,000 for ab bikefest

don't forget harley rally 11 tons of garbage
atlantic beach rally 25 tons of garbage!!!
wow, ever heard of a garbage pail?

need i say more? if you see nothing wrong with it, please host the rally in your town.
i can guarantee it will no longer be in the top 100 towns to live.

Since: Jun 08

Myrtle Beach

#48 Jun 10, 2008
ladyredskins wrote:
There is absolutely no excuse for taking off, running off after you have hit someone with your vehicle or had an accident.
Mark - You're not from here and don't know the issues that have been in the news lately. There have been too many hit and runs, homicides and other wrongful deaths where the person responsible got off with a slap on the wrist. Yep - we're angry and have just a little too much of Solicitor Hembree's representing our interests.

Myrtle Beach

#49 Jun 10, 2008
Terry Bennington wrote:
More importantly, of the expected 88,000 motorcycle accidents this year: 44,000 will be the fault of "the other driver" who didn't SEE the motorcycle. The NHTSA expects 4,810 deaths this year and 3,000 of those will be the fault of "the other" driver!
Helmets do not, can not, and never will prevent accidents. NO ONE tells motorcyclists that Federal law CFR 49, Part 571, Section 108, S7.9.4 allows motorcycles the use of modulating headlights to raise visibility during the day. When was the last time you SAW a motorcycle with modulating headlights?
What???? You must be in jest! Give me a freakin break, no one in their right mind thinks that and anyone who would put that out as part of their argument is reaching for straws.

Yes it is true most accidents are due to bikers not being seen, but many times, especially during rallies they bring it on themselves by unsafe practices. Also in our area we have a lot of tourists who left their common sense at home while packing the car.

Myrtle Beach

#50 Jun 10, 2008
bike fest attendee wrote:
I am shocked that this happen during the Harley Ralley and not a single person has yelled to stop the Harley Ralley.
actually, there are calls to get rid of both Harley rallies and the Atlantic Beach rally.

Maybe I can vacation in your neighborhood and throw trash on the road and public areas, shoot off fireworks half the night, drive like and idiot and then speed through neighborhoods.

Wouldn't go over to well, would it?
BOSTON BOY 6617

Haverhill, MA

#51 Jun 11, 2008
hey lets see you southern guys last 2 weeks in the heart of mass
BOSTON BOY 6617

Amesbury, MA

#52 Jun 12, 2008
thats what i thought, so enoughs enough mind your own buisness. if you dont like the bike ralley move noone is keeping you there, anybody trying to get ride of it keep it to yourself and go somewhere that dont have bike rallies
bike fest attendee

AOL

#53 Jun 12, 2008
jaf wrote:
Where have you been? They want to stop both rallies.<quoted text>
Actually, only a very small number want to stop the Harley Rally
bike fest attendee

AOL

#54 Jun 12, 2008
Interested1 wrote:
<quoted text>
actually, there are calls to get rid of both Harley rallies and the Atlantic Beach rally.
Maybe I can vacation in your neighborhood and throw trash on the road and public areas, shoot off fireworks half the night, drive like and idiot and then speed through neighborhoods.
Wouldn't go over to well, would it?
I honeslty cant say but you can sure come and try it. It would not bother me one bit.
bike fest attendee

AOL

#55 Jun 12, 2008
this is crap wrote:
<quoted text>
as i said before, he was on a crotch rocket.
dude, PLEASE look at the $$$$, we the taxpayers of Myrtle Beach have to pay during the rallies .
10 days of harley rally cost the taxpayers only $6,000 more than 4 days of atlantic beach bikefest.
that is a fact,$143,000 for harley week
$137,000 for ab bikefest
don't forget harley rally 11 tons of garbage
atlantic beach rally 25 tons of garbage!!!
wow, ever heard of a garbage pail?
need i say more? if you see nothing wrong with it, please host the rally in your town.
i can guarantee it will no longer be in the top 100 towns to live.
Good point. However, you are talking about 10 days versus 4 days. You are cramming all those people into 4 days versus 10. Those numbers mean nothing to me if they are not both the same number of days. Have all those Harley's there for 4 days and then give me some numbers. If I wanted to live in a town that held big bike rallies, year long crime, people falling out of hotels, dieing on side the road and no one see it for 3 days, strip clubs and exotic clothing stores for the strippers, fighting with the NAACP all the time (cant understand how one town can be sued by the NAACP so much and as long as I can remember we have not), being just as rude as the bikers that they dont like then I would move to Myrtle Beach. But I dont so luckily I dont have to. I can just visit once a year. Should it get shut down.... oh well. Doesnt really matter to me I will spend my money elsewhere. Just checking if I need to make reservation next year for another beach.
Cheryl

Leicester, NC

#56 Jun 16, 2008
Well, hello everyone. I am the person this man hit. Thank you all for your support from my husband and my behalf. I am home after almost 4 weeks in the hospital, some of that in intensive care and rehab for my head injury. I always wear a helmet but that night made a poor decision and left it at our hotel because we were only "going up the street" for some ice cream. I have taken the rider safety course, I am a fully licensed rider, and I read everything I can on becoming a better rider and my husband and I actually practice to be more proficient riders. This man who hit us had no regard for us as fellow bikers or anyone else for that matter. He pulled out in front of my husband at a high rate of speed, hit him and then me. Our training may be what saved us along with the great work of the EMTs and police who made the wonderful decision to life flight me to Charleston MUSC with a breathing tube. We are alive and back home with our children and I have a long recovery from my head injury to face. However, an accident is one thing anyone can have, but leaving a fellow human behind unsure if they are dead or alive and not being accountable is unforgivable. I thank the Surfside Beach Police Dept for finding this excuse of a man and bringing him to justice. He was not riding a Harley, maybe that was his problem. Anyway, God Bless all my fellow riders. Stay sife, ride strong, and enjoy each and every minute of life as you hug your children, spouse, family and friends with love. Also, Wear your helmets! Cheryl & Rick Schosky
Hollow

Seneca, SC

#57 Jun 16, 2008
Helmet wrote:
Why does the media always state that a motorcycle rider involved in an accident was not wearing a helmet? The media doesn't even mention the helmet when the person is injured or killed when they ARE wearing a helmet. More deaths and life threatening injuries from motorcycle crashes are from internal injuries than head trauma. The media always has to put a biased slant on everything and the sheeple believe it like it is gospel. Freedom of choice, this is the America that I personally have gone into combat on foreign soil twice in my life to defend. I hate the non-participants of my chosen sport, motorcycling, trying to tell me what to do. Do I tell people how to live their life? Hell no, it is really none of my business unless they are hurting someone. If I choose to wear a helmet or not is my own personal decision, and yes, I know the potential consequences. If I should perish from my decision to wear a helmet or not, at least I can die knowing that I was given the FREEDOM to choose with my God given freewill and I will die happily doing what I enjoy and live for in this ever increasingly freedomless world. Don't worry about my personal life and I won't worry about yours.
Are you member of FZ6 Forum?

Myrtle Beach

#58 Jun 20, 2008
BOSTON BOY 6617 wrote:
hey lets see you southern guys last 2 weeks in the heart of mass
Boston Boy, get over yourself. Believe it or not, residents are actually allowed to travel outside the beach area. I have driven in Boston, New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Miami, etc. Get the picture? We are not all a bunch of backwoods hicks as you seem to think. I will take NYC during rush hour over Murrells Inlet during Early Bird hours any day of the week.
SHOVELHEAD

United States

#59 Jun 20, 2008
Helmet wrote:
Why does the media always state that a motorcycle rider involved in an accident was not wearing a helmet? The media doesn't even mention the helmet when the person is injured or killed when they ARE wearing a helmet. More deaths and life threatening injuries from motorcycle crashes are from internal injuries than head trauma. The media always has to put a biased slant on everything and the sheeple believe it like it is gospel. Freedom of choice, this is the America that I personally have gone into combat on foreign soil twice in my life to defend. I hate the non-participants of my chosen sport, motorcycling, trying to tell me what to do. Do I tell people how to live their life? Hell no, it is really none of my business unless they are hurting someone. If I choose to wear a helmet or not is my own personal decision, and yes, I know the potential consequences. If I should perish from my decision to wear a helmet or not, at least I can die knowing that I was given the FREEDOM to choose with my God given freewill and I will die happily doing what I enjoy and live for in this ever increasingly freedomless world. Don't worry about my personal life and I won't worry about yours.
I stand behind your statements 110% you literally took the words out of my mouth I ride everyday and I personally wear a helmet BY CHOICE I will not lecture anyone on the dos and donts the way the law is written in SC if you are over 21 years of age you have a choice that is what freedom is all about. Most of these people and the liberal media that sprout off about helmet laws dont ride never have never will. I will give you pro helmet people some food for thought Most car accident deaths when the occupants are restrained are casued by head injury I did not say it the National Hwy Institute for safety said it. So lets pass a helmet law for car drivers. You want to know why your Insurance rates are so high in SC take a look around you at peoples driving habits not just tourists but SC plated vehicles not just here at the beach but all over this state. A few years ago SC had the highest death rate per capita on rual roads than any other state in the nation that is also from the NIASA stats!!! I have a propasal for a new law Ban cell phone talking ban cigarette smoking eating drinking amd radio playing while operating a motor vehicle Now you non biker helmet law pushing people how you like that???? SHOVELHEAD GARDEN CITY BEACH SC
SHOVELHEAD

United States

#60 Jun 20, 2008
Cheryl wrote:
Well, hello everyone. I am the person this man hit. Thank you all for your support from my husband and my behalf. I am home after almost 4 weeks in the hospital, some of that in intensive care and rehab for my head injury. I always wear a helmet but that night made a poor decision and left it at our hotel because we were only "going up the street" for some ice cream. I have taken the rider safety course, I am a fully licensed rider, and I read everything I can on becoming a better rider and my husband and I actually practice to be more proficient riders. This man who hit us had no regard for us as fellow bikers or anyone else for that matter. He pulled out in front of my husband at a high rate of speed, hit him and then me. Our training may be what saved us along with the great work of the EMTs and police who made the wonderful decision to life flight me to Charleston MUSC with a breathing tube. We are alive and back home with our children and I have a long recovery from my head injury to face. However, an accident is one thing anyone can have, but leaving a fellow human behind unsure if they are dead or alive and not being accountable is unforgivable. I thank the Surfside Beach Police Dept for finding this excuse of a man and bringing him to justice. He was not riding a Harley, maybe that was his problem. Anyway, God Bless all my fellow riders. Stay sife, ride strong, and enjoy each and every minute of life as you hug your children, spouse, family and friends with love. Also, Wear your helmets! Cheryl & Rick Schosky
Glad to know you guys are alive and doing fine My prayers are still with you Sorry this had to happen at any time especially since you were on vacation having a good time. The Surfeside police are a bunch of good guys several of them I know personally ride themselves. Get well soon and come back and visit us and ride again By the way I ride every day and I wear a helmet by choice SHOVELHEAD GARDEN CITY BEACH SC
SHOVELHEAD

United States

#61 Jun 20, 2008
cgpawleys wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe, but am not positive, that you cause the rest of our insurance costs to rise when your injuries are more costly to "repair" due to your NOT wearing a seatbelt.......in that case, it isn't just your personal decision but affects the rest of us, too.
See my comment on #57 that will explain part of it the other part of it is insurance ratings Horry co has the 2nd highest ins rates in the state behind Dorchester co according to my ins agent It is because we are rated as a high traffic tourist area (no slander to tourists intended) I found this out when i moved the insurance and registration on some of my co vehicles from the upstate of SC to here. As Walter CRONKITE SAYS "THAT THE WAY IT IS" SHOVELHEAD GARDEN CITY BEACH SC
SHOVELHEAD

United States

#62 Jun 20, 2008
OOPS guys i miscalculated there it was post #59 sorry old age catching up i guess SHOVELHEAD
Double Standards

Lexington, SC

#63 Jun 20, 2008
Glad you and your husband are okay! Wish you well on a speedy recovery.
Cheryl wrote:
Jes944

Simpsonville, SC

#64 May 19, 2012
BOSTON BOY6617 wrote:
i hope the kid gets away with nothing on him. just because he was on a rice rocket he is automaically at fault. if he had the skills to ride his bike away threw some ladies lawn being chased by multiple cops do you really think that he was so sloppy on his bike that he hit another biker on the other side of the road... i dont think so.. good luck jeff get off free
Wow Boston Boy your kind of an ass, Im the daughter of the people that were in this accident, you have no idea what it has been like for us to deal with it my mom now has a serious brain injury. We all have to take care of her this accident has ruined a lot of things this guy was a complete ass for leaving the scene he was also drunk so before you say he should get off free is so out of line. He messed up a family of six my mom almost died.
joe schosky

Taylors, SC

#65 May 4, 2013
These are my parents....
joe schosky

Taylors, SC

#66 May 4, 2013
KCF wrote:
I'd love to know how they tracked him down.
The guy wad at a bar bragging to friends and somebody over heard and called the police

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greenville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
need h sick Jul 22 Anonymous 1
News John Huff named New Bern Sun Journal editor (Dec '07) Jul 22 anonymous 9
Review: Austrotech Motorsport Inc Jul 21 terst 2
Asheville Or Greenville? (Jun '11) Jul 18 Angeline 34
News Student wears KKK T-shirt to S.C. school (Apr '08) Jul 17 Om Shanti 105
News Greenville Cops Beat Man Senseless At Walmart (Aug '14) Jul 12 isaac 5
News A Baptist minister from South Carolina calls th... (Jan '15) Jul 12 isaac 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Greenville Mortgages