First Prev
of 4
Next Last
wirefox

Hummelstown, PA

#73 Jun 2, 2013
I have been grooming for over 10 years, learned through several hands on programs and opportunities, not in a school. A lot of people who go to grooming schools have no concept of what the industry is like, and get in over their heads. I worked under the woman who trained me for 6 years, learning the entire time. I now compete in grooming competitions as well.

Plain and simple, licensing is necessary. I hate reading stories of pets injured by 'groomers' who lie about certification (a certificate of completion from a school is NOT certification, or licensing!) I agree that something DOES NEED to be put in place. There are efforts out there in the works in several states to create a licensing program similar to that which human hairstylists and cosmetologists are required to take. The hang up is noone can agree on who should make what rules, who should be in charge, and the list goes on. A board should comprise of not only groomers but also at least one veterinarian, and ideally an animal trainer/behaviorist. One giant lack in grooming is groomers don't always take the time to learn any training or behavior management skills (and it's scary that this doesn't just go for the dogs in all cases!)

Going to a school, whether reputable or otherwise, also does not mean you are 'instant groomer'. You may know some basics, but I see groomers all the time who stop there. A big problem that feeds this are big chains that provide 'grooming' services with in house trained groomers. They claim their groomers are 'certified' after taking multiple choice quizzes and reading a book. Heck, the one I worked for, the salon manager even gave me the answer sheet. Fortunately that's not where I was taught.

But anyway. I'll rest. The plain simple fact is regulation IS needed, and this is coming straight from a groomer, who is tired of the BS in the industry. I'm not perfect, never will be, but there's always something new to learn, you just have to have the drive and aptitude to BE a good groomer to take the steps necessary to become one.
Jpjjtjkabj

Irwin, PA

#74 Oct 14, 2014
I completed the 2 week intensive training at the national cat groomers institute and it was well worth every penny!!! I have been grooming cats for over 20 years and I was truly humbled at the cat grooming school I now am the expert cat groomer I always knew I could be!!! I groom every cat with the standards and practices I've learned and Always strive to do the best as I now represent the group of certified feline master groomers

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greenville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tony Perkins claims churches will lose federal ... 3 hr Cordwainer Trout 2
News Student expelled after sharing racist photo at ... May 1 wontcarestfu 10
MULTI-FAMILY yard sale Simpsonville / MAULDIN Apr 30 Jlrusso 1
todd fleming of possum kingdom Apr 17 katie 1
Mailings at the Post Office Apr 14 Cynthia Brown 1
James Carlton David lll Apr 12 tinker1953 1
Who is best dancer at platinum plus? (Aug '10) Apr 8 westwood 7
More from around the web

Greenville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE