Pet Grooming Schools & Associations Need To Be Investigated!

Posted in the Greenville Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 62 Comments Last updated Jun 2, 2013
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Dog Owner

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2009

Judged:

The Southern Institute of Pet Grooming is under investigation by the State. Some people do not agree with Beckwith and some former students have complained....
http://www2.wspa.com/spa/news/local/article/c...

Not only should Pet Grooming Schools be investigated but so should Pet Grooming Associations that certify pet groomers. Why are owners of some of these pet grooming schools and associations allowed to certify themselves and others as Master Groomers? Only state approved schools can be held accountable through licensing. Who holds these certifing pet grooming associations and unlicensed pet grooming schools accountable? Why are these association certified pet groomers not required to be licensed by the State? Where do these unlicensed schools and associations get the authority to certify?

News stories report pets are being injured in schools and even killed by pet groomers!
Something needs to be done!!!
Ed_U_Kate

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2009

The problem is the State does not enforce licensing rules and regulations.
http://www.che.sc.gov/AcademicAffairs/License...

So some schools continue to operate with out State licensing.

Best way to prevent being ripped off is to always check State Gov web sites for Licensed Schools. Southern Institute of Pet Grooming is not listed. Only grooming school licensed and listed by the state with a Certificate Program in South Carolina is;

Groomadog Academy
P. O. Box 788
Ridgeway, SC 29130

http://www.che.sc.gov/AcademicAffairs/License...
StudentEmployee

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2009

Judged:

Ed U Kate, You forget to mention those pet grooming schools(?) that are really just pet grooming salons. Sure they may be listed by the state as a licensed school but calling themselves schools is just a way for pet grooming salons owners to get and have unpaid employees. Calling employees students means the salon owner does not have to pay them. Such pet grooming salon-schools have cheap grooming fees which undercuts grooming prices of other pet grooming salons . Students = free labor.
StudentEmployee

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2009

Judged:

I paid a lot of tuition to be a student and the school made even more money off my grooming. I knew someting was not right when I was told to speed up and finish my grooms because some customers were complaining it took to long. I was made to feel more like an employee instead of a student.
NCMG

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2010

Judged:

OMG!!!
$2400.00 dollars for TWO WEEKS... "LOL"...two weeks = hours 60 hours of training to learn cat grooming? What a joke.. LMAO!... But...ROFLMAO...get this... if you spend some more money you can also become a "certified feline master groomer". The State of South Carolina actually approved a 60 hour course? School = Cat-Scam!

http://nationalcatgroomers.com/wp-content/upl...

I had 12 weeks of dog grooming school and spent years gaining experience grooming dogs before I became a "National Certified Master Groomer". I guess all that is needed to be a school trained cat groomer and to become a CFMG "Certified feline master groomer" is 60 hours of training and some tests.

I need to stop laughing,....... but this is just too funny!
http://nationalcatgroomers.com/

Nashgrad

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2010

NCMG
Groomers can not even agree on the school hours needed to properly train students.
Groomers on the "groomer to groomer" board on the thread below blasts and slams a schools 5 (five) week grooming course.

http://barkleigh1nc.websitetoolbox.com/post...

and then on a separate thread promotes and praises another schools 2 week short course.

http://barkleigh1nc.websitetoolbox.com/post...

A minimum standard for the number of hours needed for proper training pet groomers needs to be established. The pet grooming industry does not seem to want to do it. So maybe it is going to take the States education department to decide what these schools minimum training hours need to be? This can only happen when states require pet groomers to be trained & licensed?
As it stands now very few that take up pet grooming choose to be school trained at all. Those that do do the school thing, as the two week example shows can choose the salon-schools with the shortest number of training hours.
Republic of Texas

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2010

Judged:

National Certified Master Groomer - is a registered trademark, owned by the National Dog Groomers Association of America. Its trademark registration use to give it value. NDGAA has failed to protect its trademark registration allowing many groomers and other associations to use similar "master groomer" certification titles. The only protection it seems to still have is other organizations can not register similar master groomer titles. Those that try find certification registration is denied by the trademark office. Groomers that are certified by the National Dog Groomers Assoication of America seldom use the certified title to avoid conflicts with other pet groomers. The lack of respect by groomers for other groomers in this profession is understandable. Anyone can call them self a professional groomer having no schooling or training. Sixty hours of training to groom cats is hardly respectable. But them 300 hours of school training to groom dogs is not any better. I agree a minimum professional standard for the number of training hours needs to be established and required of pet groomers. Association Certification of groomers should only be permitted when pet groomers are required to be licensed by the state.
Xcmg

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2010

CMG wrote:
Pet owners should investigate, employers, schools, clubs, and associations that certify groomers as a:
?????? Certified ??????? Master ??????? Groomer.
So what your saying is my certifications as a master groomer other than being a personal accomplishment has been made meaningless by these other associations using it as a title. So my national certification by Ndgaa and international certification by Ipg are really just costly association membership titles?
Thanks! I will be canceling my expensive certification memberships. I have been looking to save some money. Now I will not have to raise my grooming prices as much this year.
Whoo Hoo

Jersey City, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2010

School Truths are in the lyrics - WHOO HOO

Consumer Pro

Amsterdam, Netherlands

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2010

Keep in mind NO schooling is required nor is a state license needed to become a pet groomer. Anyone can call them self a professional pet groomer/stylist. Certification is rarely required by employers.
On the job training is often provided by the employer. No standard exist in this occupation so many employers prefer to train and certify their own employees. As with each pet grooming service, it is also so that each schools standard and practices can be as varied. Be it a pet grooming service or a pet grooming school. Both remain in the "Buyer Beware" catagory.

http://www.consumer-action.org/english/articl...
tobithesnowplow

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2010

I shaved my pet the other day.She Purrrrred.
Retired Teacher

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2010

NCMG wrote:
OMG!!!
$2400.00 dollars for TWO WEEKS... "LOL"...two weeks = hours 60 hours of training to learn cat grooming? What a joke.. LMAO!... But...ROFLMAO...get this... if you spend some more money you can also become a "certified feline master groomer". The State of South Carolina actually approved a 60 hour course? School = Cat-Scam!
http://nationalcatgroomers.com/wp-content/upl...
I had 12 weeks of dog grooming school and spent years gaining experience grooming dogs before I became a "National Certified Master Groomer". I guess all that is needed to be a school trained cat groomer and to become a CFMG "Certified feline master groomer" is 60 hours of training and some tests.
I need to stop laughing,....... but this is just too funny!
http://nationalcatgroomers.com/
It's just another example of what is going wrong with schools in South Carolina. As a result even trade schools do not have to provide students with the hours necessary to receive proper training.
Retired Teacher

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2010

Money no longer buys an education or training.
It just buys a college degree or certification from a trade school.
miav lafayette La

Opelousas, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2010

Does anyone outthere know if the state of Louisiana has made any changes on certifications in grooming.I learned my trade as an apprentice for many years.Do you now have to be certified?Is a certified groomer a title that just says you attended this or that school and learned to groom?Personally I know grooming is a hand on profession you cannot learn this trade by going to a school for a few weeks,its a profession that take years of on the job ,hands on training.I closed my shop approx.3 years ago and Im interested in reopening, I need to know if La. has made any state changes.Can anyone help?
sig

Austin, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2010

i tried to hire a groomer from golden paws, a big grooming school in houston, tx, and after shock and awe at the level of uselessness, found that it is a government program putting people not able to function normally in society through a so called school. it takes a lot of intelligence to work with dogs who may be terrified of any part of the grooming procedure, owners who are worried about leaving their beloved family member, and taking and understanding instructions on what owners want. i am a good groomer who knows how to communicate with dogs' humans, letting them know what is possible and what will look good on their dogs. i am upset that the government, or part of it, sees dogs as disposables, and a way to put people to work, not worrying about the consequences.
EducationSystemS ucks

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2010

Judged:

sig wrote:
i tried to hire a groomer from golden paws, a big grooming school in houston, tx, and after shock and awe at the level of uselessness, found that it is a government program putting people not able to function normally in society through a so called school..........
That is why these pet grooming school courses are kept so short. Where else can a "tard" be certified but through a pet grooming school or pet grooming association.
Oh wait, I had a "tard" apply for a grooming job that had a IQ of only 70 (seventy) that was certified by a College as a Certified Vet-Assistance.
Reform

Scranton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2010

Judged:

Education reform is needed across the board. These pet grooming schools are a big joke as well as a major rip-off. Pet groomers are not required any licensing other than maybe a state sales tax or local business permit. I have yet to see a grad from any of these schools that did not need re-taining. Most do not have the attitude needed to be trained properly or the apititude needed to learn. That is why these schools keep courses short and easy.
Reform

Scranton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2010

60 hours would be funny if it was not that such schools are ripping off people with learning disabilities using taxpayer money.
Reform

Scranton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2010

Nashgrad wrote:
.........A minimum standard for the number of hours needed for proper training pet groomers needs to be established. The pet grooming industry does not seem to want to do it. So maybe it is going to take the States education department to decide what these schools minimum training hours need to be? This can only happen when states require pet groomers to be trained & licensed?
As it stands now very few that take up pet grooming choose to be school trained at all. Those that do do the school thing, as the two week example shows can choose the salon-schools with the shortest number of training hours.
I agree! So what can be done to "reform" career schools and require pet groomer to be licensed before they can be certified?
MEH

Levittown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2010

Judged:

EducationSystemSucks wrote:
<quoted text>
That is why these pet grooming school courses are kept so short. Where else can a "tard" be certified but through a pet grooming school or pet grooming association.
Oh wait, I had a "tard" apply for a grooming job that had a IQ of only 70 (seventy) that was certified by a College as a Certified Vet-Assistance.
Having worked with adults with developmental disabilities I'd ask you to be more sensitive to refering to PEOPLE as "tards". I'm sure you didn't mean to offend. People with developmentally disabilities are individuals, with individual personalities and individual capabilities. So, someone with a developmental disability may be quite capable of grooming dogs. I understand what your are saying....some of the schools out there really have no standards, my point is: please don't call people "tards" or lunp them all into one category. Thanks.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Greenville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
S.C. education department out of the loop in wr... 22 hr MikeF 4
SC SC state senator refers to candidate as 'raghead' (Jun '10) Thu NEW PAIR OF GLASSES 1,146
freepier jerk a hummilated stingrays journey Aug 19 Captain petropulas 30
used tire & creme soda Aug 19 Captain petropulas 8
Thinking of moving to Greenville SC (Feb '07) Aug 17 Truth Wizard 304
John Huff named New Bern Sun Journal editor (Dec '07) Aug 17 Laurel Smith 7
Greenville Business opportunity for Local resid... (Jun '10) Aug 16 chrisayers 2

Search the Greenville Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Greenville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Greenville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••