Review: Southeastern Underwater Servi...

Review: Southeastern Underwater Services Inc

Posted in the Greenville Forum

Steve

Easley, SC

#1 Mar 29, 2013
Google---- Southeastern Underwater Services, Drowning, OSHA
Deepdiver

Fargo, ND

#2 Mar 27, 2014
Steve wrote:
Google---- Southeastern Underwater Services, Drowning, OSHA
It was bound to happen sooner or later!
I wasn't surprised to see that someone drowned while working for SUSI. The owner likes taking unnecessary risks by sticking guys in commercial dive helmets and having them do commercial underwater work when they are only certified "scuba" divers with "no" official commercial diver training whatsoever. All just because to save a few bucks.
Jerry McCulley

United States

#3 Apr 2, 2014
Now called SE Diving Services llc
GJ Babin- Master Diver

Black River Falls, WI

#4 Jun 3, 2015
Deepdiver wrote:
<quoted text>
It was bound to happen sooner or later!
I wasn't surprised to see that someone drowned while working for SUSI. The owner likes taking unnecessary risks by sticking guys in commercial dive helmets and having them do commercial underwater work when they are only certified "scuba" divers with "no" official commercial diver training whatsoever. All just because to save a few bucks.
I used to work for SUSI, the diver who died, pulled off his hat,(he had issues) All SUSI divers are ADCI certified ( not that that says much) but the owners will not hire anyone who is not properly trained. That I know as a fact.
Chris Gibbs

Edinburg, TX

#5 Thursday Aug 13
GJ Babin- Master Diver wrote:
<quoted text>
I used to work for SUSI, the diver who died, pulled off his hat,(he had issues) All SUSI divers are ADCI certified ( not that that says much) but the owners will not hire anyone who is not properly trained. That I know as a fact.

Having trained and qualified commercial divers NOW does not now excuse a OSHA fined fatality that occurred back in 2007. OSHA wrote up and fined Southeastern Underwater Services in 2007 for the following: OSHA Standard Cited: 19100421 G Pre-dive procedures, OSHA Standard Cited: 19100410 A03 Qualifications of dive team.

He had issues? Yes this young man did have an issue. The issue is that his hat became detached from the neck dam. It not uncommon for a certain hat(s) to become detached from the neck dam and a trained commercial diver can easily don the hat back on and keep working with no problem.

In light of the fact that OSHA wrote this fatality up, what TRAINING and experience did this young man have at doffing and donning surface supplied diving helmets underwater?

Also, where was the stand-by diver? The OSHA account states he was exiting a pipe (penetration). OSHA requires a stand-by diver to tend the hose at the penetration entrance. 1910.425(c)(2) A diver shall be stationed at the underwater point of entry when diving is conducted in enclosed or physically confining spaces. Again, where was the stand by diver? And what training did this young man have at entering confined spaces underwater?

The OSHA Account:
On October 8, 2007, Employee #1, a diver, drowned when his diving helmet became dislodged while he was exiting an underwater pipe he was working on. Preliminary investigations were inconclusive as to what caused Employee #1s diving helmet to become dislodged.

There is no amount of money worth this young man’s life and it’s very unlikely his family and friends would belittle his life by saying “he had issues”.

This death was inexcusable.
https://www.facebook.com/jeremy.spires.39...
wired

Prescott, IA

#6 Saturday Aug 15
poachman

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greenville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Greenville Cops Beat Man Senseless At Walmart (Aug '14) 10 hr Nobody 8
News Donald Trump proves his hair is real Sun FlatbushSam 63
News John Huff named New Bern Sun Journal editor (Dec '07) Aug 23 Jim in Orlando 10
Review: Cooke & Son Roofing Aug 23 Kris 1
News In South Carolina, Sanders tries to court black... Aug 22 Go Blue Forever 4
News Student wears KKK T-shirt to S.C. school (Apr '08) Aug 20 I Hate Syracuse 108
need h sick Aug 19 The Enforcer 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Greenville Mortgages