Taxpaying Parent

Franklin, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Concerning the recently proposed budget cuts by our Board of Education and the notion that we might raise taxes to in Macon county:

Yes, it is true that Macon county's residents DO enjoy a low property tax rate when compared with some other counties in the state. However, the property VALUES in the county are fairly well inflated, being a mecca for rich retirees. THIS is why we have a lower rate and it all 'evens out' in the end. The frantic calls for the county's citizens to “Take responsibility for our youth!” and “Man up!” by raising taxes to match other counties' supposedly higher investments in education are ignorant, ill informed and quite frankly more than a bit insulting.

The state of NC is supposed to financially support the state's public schools. It is not feasible for the individual counties to fill the incredible budget gap that several years worth of a suck ass economy have left us with.

Does the Macon County School system waste money? Probably; most bureaucratic institutions do. Administrators and educators are only human and it is human nature is to practice the art of self-preservation, to make a place for oneself and then fight like hell to preserve/expand that position. When your monetary compensation and social status are at stake, most of us can make a perfectly legitimate case for our importance to the overall order of things. Are there any regular, huge, glaring examples of this? No, I don't believe there are. Of course an auditor could go in, nitpicking and fine tooth combing shit and come up with a list of pork but it wouldn't amount to all that much; and besides, I personally think that our teachers and assistants et al work their butts off and DESERVE a few little extra perks if they can manage to eke them out. A more likely place to look for true fat to trim would be at the level of folks suckling at the Education Funding teat who never SEE a single student from one year to the next.

I would like to go on record (as well as an anonymous poster CAN go on record LOL) as saying that the threat of closing schools and doing away with most sports is a really crummy way of dealing with a situation. I do NOT for one moment, as either a taxpayer or a parent, appreciate the attempt by Dr Duncan to manipulate me into becoming part of some mob screaming for the commissioners to “SAVE OUR SCHOOLS!”. There is no doubt in my mind that a budget crisis exists; but the way and manner in which this was presented was calculated to cause the most shock and awe possible. To prey upon the fear of vulnerable kids and their stressed out parents was despicable. The PUBLIC is the CLIENT; the PEOPLE are not PAWNS. Administrators need to stop playing coy little games with the politicians and using US as cannon fodder.

I know there are a bunch of people who could give a fat eggroll about educating our county's youth; as long as they can make change at Ingles and clean the rich folks' toilets who cares, right? I also know there are some who would tax us till our noses bled dry to provide each little school age darling with the best life has to offer. We are going to HAVE to find the middle ground here.
Troy Southards

Franklin, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

Close MEC which is a BIG BIG BIG waste anyway. Also Union Academy. What's wrong with them going to FHS? The ones who want to can still go over to SCC for classes. They all have cars or walking would be good for them.

Cut out all the athletics. Nothing but expensive entertainment for the public.

Cut out half the central office.

Cut out all the teacher aides above grade 3.

If they hadn't built those 2 new schools we wouldn't have to run all those buses, another BIG WASTE.

Elect a new school board that keeps up with whats going on. That last slick superintendent-the one with the mustache-told everybody that everything was just fine and then he got out just in time before the door hit him in his sorry butt.

Why is Holly Spring Baptist Church running our schools anyway? Weird.
blockbuster

Franklin, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

So, I think the central office is where the cutting needs to begin;for example there are 3 employees making in the range of 70 to 80 K per year who have enough time to retire and are at the Central office because they didn't want to be a principal anymore.And who knows how many more pencil pushers could be cut out there!When cutting back starts,seems they always get the little man or woman first.How about just cutting a bunch of salaries just a bit and lay off nobody.
Troy Southards

Franklin, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

So who are they you are talking about, Blockbuster? Laying off a dozen of them won't make up for the deficit caused by that last superintendent, and the couty commissioners who worked with him to build those schools we cant aford for the next 30 years.
Goosey Goosey

Franklin, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Y'all really thought this shortfall $$$ talk was for real? It's about swaying public opinion, you idiots. Get ready for more big money sucking outlays in the future.
Barbara Coates

Franklin, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2013

Judged:

Just wait until you see the plans they have for the $50 million new Franklin High School they're going to build. Their man Corbin is the chairman of the county commission now. He spent 20 years as the chairman of the Board of Education.
librarian

Franklin, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2013

Judged:

Macon Early College has ruined the library. those loud children are very disruptive and spend far too much time in the library laughing and talking. We moved away from town to get away from the high school kids and then the county built the early college next door to us. very annoying.

Since: Mar 13

Franklin, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2013

Judged:

Troy Southards wrote:
Close MEC which is a BIG BIG BIG waste anyway. Also Union Academy. What's wrong with them going to FHS? The ones who want to can still go over to SCC for classes. They all have cars or walking would be good for them.
Cut out all the athletics. Nothing but expensive entertainment for the public.
Cut out half the central office.
Cut out all the teacher aides above grade 3.
If they hadn't built those 2 new schools we wouldn't have to run all those buses, another BIG WASTE.
Elect a new school board that keeps up with whats going on. That last slick superintendent-the one with the mustache-told everybody that everything was just fine and then he got out just in time before the door hit him in his sorry butt.
Why is Holly Spring Baptist Church running our schools anyway? Weird.
Completely clueless. Read a book.
local

Franklin, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

I've had to stop going to the library while MEC is in session because those children make too much noise with their carrying on. They should have built that building on the high school campus and not next to the library.
blockbuster

Sylva, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Troy Southards wrote:
So who are they you are talking about, Blockbuster? Laying off a dozen of them won't make up for the deficit caused by that last superintendent, and the couty commissioners who worked with him to build those schools we cant aford for the next 30 years.
Not going to call any names,but some of the honorables are making in the 70K and 80K range,which would be a start since they don't want to be principals anymore but receive the same pay.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Greenville Discussions

Search the Greenville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 25 min waco1909 55,795
Why did Franklin Town Manager resign after just... 11 hr Lee Jonas 17
stop crime in macon county 11 hr Lee Jonas 2
Review: Carrion Tree Svc (Jul '11) Jul 19 drd4ed 40
What's happening with tourism in Macon County? (Feb '13) Jul 19 Johnny C 22
Macon County News Facebook for Drake Enterprises Jul 19 Johnny C 17
just asking Jul 12 wondering 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Greenville Jobs

•••