What is it like to live and work in F...
moving

West Plains, MO

#21 Sep 24, 2011
Barney Feife wrote:
Wildflower has basically been abandoned by the developer, only one house built, by a Methodist Leader for around $600K and now worthless. Lots of foreclosures, debt, etc. and a huge road problem that would cost millions to fix, if it could be fixed. You can't pile up loose dirt, 100 feet high and expect that to be a road on a steep slope. There are several other developements in the area who have the same problems, a lot of hype, speculation but no relationship with reality. Highlands/Cashiers also has this problem, plus some Scams and so does Lake Lure where they built the "Model Home" given away by Home and Gardens, and the rest of the developement foreclosed/abandoned and the road not finished to that "beautiful" home now worth almost nothing! Be careful, still lots of RE brokers/developers looking to make some fast money on outsiders who don't know the mtns./local market or what is going on!
Thanks for all the input Barney. I am told that new developers got it and have fixed the road, gotten engineers in there and resolved all of those issues I had read some on as Wildflower.
You're correct. I live in a similar place now and the locals joke about the best crop here is newcomers and pot.
Sad because good people can really improve an area and bring in tax dollars but a lot of locals get resentful either because they don't like someone coming in and buying something they can't have (jealous) or they think they may lose some power in the community,(greed).
It's been my experience having lived a lot in small towns (8,000) to big cities (NYC) that every town has them but the smaller the place, the worse it is and the realtors play like your friend until they get your cash and then they treat you the same.
Bob Rogers

Little Switzerland, NC

#22 Sep 25, 2011
Maybe you should set aside preconceived ideas and come see for yourself.

By the way, NO ONE in Macon is "jealous" of Wildflower investors!
moving

West Plains, MO

#23 Sep 26, 2011
On October 1 they will be having a sale of some 98 lots and I will be there.
PS Bob R. I wasn' talking about jealousy of investors, simply the people who buy the property and build McMansions.
Its no slur on the locals, I've seen it dozens of times. Human nature reflects that most people don't like individuals who are 'different' from them. Whether thats financial or culture, its just the way things are. People don't like change and small communities have a set way about them. People who 'come in from the outside' bring change. it's that simple.
Barney Feife

Franklin, NC

#24 Sep 26, 2011
moving wrote:
On October 1 they will be having a sale of some 98 lots and I will be there.
PS Bob R. I wasn' talking about jealousy of investors, simply the people who buy the property and build McMansions.
Its no slur on the locals, I've seen it dozens of times. Human nature reflects that most people don't like individuals who are 'different' from them. Whether thats financial or culture, its just the way things are. People don't like change and small communities have a set way about them. People who 'come in from the outside' bring change. it's that simple.
There's another factor that people from "outside" don't get! They do not know the terrain/the mountains and then they try to build roads/houses on 40 degree slops with fill dirt, etc. They don't understand how springs work on the filled dirt, they gradually eat away until they collapse. All the dirt on these mountains is setting on bedrock, it is unstable if enough water seeps through or some "outsider"/developer disturbs nature. Plus, the outsiders, along with RE Brokers/developers only care about making money and they build these roads and MacMansions on the sides of the mountains basically destroying the esthetics of the "Mountains", another reason to resent "outsiders", and they restrict locals ability to hunt the lands, hike the lands, etc. Plus, most come with attitude that they are not only richer, but smarter than the local hillbillys. They are mostly not welcome, except to people in a business dependent upon outsiders/tourists. Thing about tourists, they come to see/enjoy, what the outsiders destroy! Oh, and they don't know how to drive in the mountains, especially in the winter, have seen a lot of Escalades, Landrovers, and Toyota Landcruisers off the road when there's only an inch of snow on the ground!
Bob Rogers

Little Switzerland, NC

#25 Sep 26, 2011
To "moving" from Ozark, AL:

Read Barney's statement above carefully. He is right. You are wrong.

No long-time "local" people here are "jealous" of the McMansions, which we consider a sad cancer on our mountains.

We despise the shoddy but expensive developments that are destroying the beauty and wealth of our mountains and eroding the terrain, along with the arrogant, misguided, and naive attitude that many non-mountaineers project.

Really wealthy go to Cashiers and other places, not Franklin.

P.S. Why exactly are you trying to move here?
Tigger

Burnsville, NC

#26 Sep 26, 2011
Sure are a lot of people posting on the Hayesville forum about Franklin and Macon County. Please try out the Franklin Forum!!
The Ridges

West Plains, MO

#27 Sep 27, 2011
The Ridges is a wonderful community. We are the new Developers of The Ridges and it is a portion of the original Wildflower Development Franklin, NC property.
We have done an enourmous amount of work on the roads, capping the spring that was creating washout of the roadway and we'll be having a live sale event on 98 Lots and properties that will be selling from as little as $14,900.
These are properties that range from 2-20 acre estates and have driveways, building flats, septic approvals and are ready to be built.
As the new developers we are pleased to spread the good word on the transformation from the old Wildflower days to the New Ridges. Our community center is open and our saline / saltwater pool is ready.
New Roads, New Engineering, New Approvals, everything you could want in a development at a fraction of what they were selling for prior to our takeover. We are intent on building a thriving, vibrant community in the heart of the mountains and title it "Living above the Clouds" featuring elevations of 3500 ft.
Please visit our registration page at http://www.theridgesmountainproperty.com to get all the information you need to make an informed decision and we'll see you on October 1, 2011!
Question

Andrews, NC

#30 Jan 14, 2012
So what is it like to live and work in Franklin?
Tim and Myra

Andrews, NC

#31 Jan 15, 2012
Don't know anybody but retirees, who are all great. Lots of interesting hiking trails, good weather for gardening, close to Asheville and Atlanta. Electric power is expensive though, and produce is expensive unless you grow it yourself. Internet access and phone access good except in stormy weather. A rural county with lots of interest wildlife.
Buffalo Suburbia

Andrews, NC

#32 Jan 15, 2012
Its looking good with us so far, Josie. Saw the place today, looks cozy enough for now, little nook up on the side of a wooded hill. Got a offer yesterday on the house in NY. Hope to be here soon for good. Love y'all, Franklin. We will be joining ya soon.
Tim and Myra

Andrews, NC

#33 Jan 15, 2012
Its a good retirement place, living is slow and easy out in the country if you have outside income. Not so good for working people though. High unemployment. Young people leave. Nothing here for them but retail and service jobs which are mostly filled up with older part time employees who say they don't get benefits. Nepotism is bad, and so much religion is tiresome, runs through everything for the locals, like a members only club. Basic health care is OK here, anything critical means going to Asheville or Atlanta. Isolated but with internet you can stay in touch with the world. Good to be your own handyman. Carpenters, plumbers, electricians charge more here than any place I know of. Stay off steep hillsides, can be unstable and ruin your house. Lots of cheap prefabs in Franklin and Sylva, more expensive houses in Highlands area. Not much golf here which I miss. Asheville has good art galleries and concerts.
fiddledee

Moravia, NY

#34 Mar 25, 2012
Hey you dumb yankee castoffs, you'll love it! after you get set in your dream mountain home, you can then peacefully enjoy listening to birds, crickets and a little Banjo music playing
Tommy Williamson

Webster, NC

#35 Mar 26, 2012
And then scream loudly as your dream home cracks apart on the shifting soil and you slide down the mountain...... It will help to raise your hands in the air and pretend you are on a big ole roller coaster........ yippee!
jcl

Moravia, NY

#36 Apr 18, 2012
check this out:http://voices.yahoo.com/th e-effect-air-pollution-western -6875452.html?cat=57.

drive down I81 going south from VA to TN. on a clear sunny day;
as you approach the mountains to the south you'll see that constant haze in the sky
Tim and Myra

Webster, NC

#37 Apr 19, 2012
The air pollution is not as bad now as it used to be. Now that the factories have all moved to Mexico. The worst cause of the pollution now is tourists' car exhausts.
jcl

Moravia, NY

#38 Apr 23, 2012
that's a good one!you can believe what you want to believe; but your fresh mountain air is just as/ or more polluted than many US cities.. How can you honestly say that the air pollution is better?
Tim and Myra wrote:
The air pollution is not as bad now as it used to be. Now that the factories have all moved to Mexico. The worst cause of the pollution now is tourists' car exhausts.
jcl

Moravia, NY

#39 Apr 23, 2012
For Tim and Mara:
check the National Park Service website. http://www.nps.gov/grsm/naturescience/air-qua... .
"Since 1948, based on regional airport records, the average visibility in the Southern Applachians has decreased 40% in winter and 80% in summer."

Also click the air quality in parks link.
It reports, "Great Smoky Mountain National Park in North Carolina and Tennessee experience some of the highest measured air pollution of any national park in the U.S."

You can say its no problem all you want to. One of your real estate websites calls the haze a natural occurence from the moisture of the trees or something like that!

I think its amazing that people will delude themselves and bury their heads in the sand.
Tim and Myra

Webster, NC

#40 Apr 24, 2012
LOL! So how do you know all that, jcl in Canastota NY? You ever been here?

You really think the National Park Service is accurate and not influenced by politics?
jcl

New Hartford, NY

#41 Apr 25, 2012
yes maam. i have. wayah bald, cowee mtn. winding stair gap etc. all beautiful. go take a drive through cherokee up 441 over the mountain and stop at the overlook rest stop on the TN/NC line some time. see for yourself. you won't see for many miles; and read the sign that says why theyre called the smoky's. laughing out loud back at ya
Tim and Myra

Webster, NC

#42 Apr 25, 2012
They are named the Great Smoky Mountains because of the haze that has been here forever, long before factories and cars, etc, the name the Cherokee have always called them. Shaconaghe means Smoky Blue Mountains in Cherokee.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greenville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sheriff IDs man wanted in father's shooting Apr 16 anonymous 1
Future sheriff? Apr 12 Retired in Franklin 7
Kmart Apr 11 Big George 5
Matt Norton Apr 11 Big George 2
ECU Dental School: Dr. Pinnell Feb '18 DDS 2
Full time work and 2 very young children is jus... Feb '18 Trail90 3
News Worker dies after being hit by bulldozer in Nor... Jan '18 ringbearer 3

Greenville Jobs

Personal Finance

Greenville Mortgages