Franklin town board facing no changes

Aug 31, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Smoky Mountain News

There will be no new faces on Franklin's town board after November's elections, no matter which way voters decide to cast their ballots.

Comments
1 - 18 of 18 Comments Last updated Apr 1, 2013
Jason Richard

Burnsville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Sep 5, 2011
 
Strange. Wonder why?
Jason Richard

Burnsville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Sep 5, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

So what has the "enthusiastic" Economic Development Director done yet except put up "Entrepreneurial City" signs on all the main entries into town?

I guess that's better than the more accurate "Drakeville is a Dying City" signs.

Have y'all given up on your sad little town?
Jason Richard

Burnsville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Sep 5, 2011
 
OH, wait. The Dalton kid is supposed to be developing the whole county, not just Franklin?
Ghost Dog

Franklin, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Sep 5, 2011
 
Franklin is controlled by freinds of friends and their family members, starting with the, now Town Manager, former County Manager who is a friend of Dalton and Drake and the Gillespie guy that took a $15K contract to over $173,000 for a security system that really doesn't secure anything but the Town Mgr's gun collection, a collection that got him fired as County Mgr back in the 80's for having fully automatic weapons that a previous Sheriff gave him to hide them. The EDC guy was hired over 24 more qualified and experienced people, alledgedly because he was "enthusiastic and inexperienced"! First time in the history of the world something like that has happened, usually intelligent people hire experience, education, training, etc. but hey hired a tutor for him for over 6 months and he still hasn't produced anything other than saying a building owned by the county "has possibilities for future businesses"! Wow! Can I have that job? Car subsidy, he rides around in a Cadillac CTS, free phone, travel expenses, and now, assistants! To do what? Oh, take more taxpayer's money for friends of friends in high places and their children, like the "Young Professionals", heh, heh, heh, what a joke, a bunch of Drakett family members and friends who have a party house down on Hwy 28 right where the new roadwork ends. WE have all been scammed and continue to be taken. Who got rich off the $2.4 Million for the Mountain View School land,$240,000 per acre of usable Bottom Land in a bad location with sewage and traffic problems. What did we get for $47 Million?
Jason Richard

Burnsville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Sep 6, 2011
 
"Who got rich off the $2.4 Million for the Mountain View School land,$240,000 per acre of usable Bottom Land in a bad location with sewage and traffic problems."

Who owned that land and sold it to the county for that school? Why is that such a secret?

Don't the newspapers there ever do any investigative reporting?
Ghost Dog

Franklin, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Sep 6, 2011
 
Heh, heh, heh, the newspapers in Franklin are controlled by the local Pols and rich. The Press's "Editor", sic, calls the Sheriff on every article they write about the Sheriff's Dept.. He gets to "edit" the articles. Nothing negative is ever said about a Repuglican politician in Franklin or anywhere, the Press is like Fox Noise! Drake is off limits and any business of his is off limits, along with all the political favors and/or the "Sweatheart" deals for building County/Town buildings or extending water/sewage to certain pieces of property. We have NO legitimate newspapers, just pawns of the local "leaders", sic and the richest citizens. The average worker/citizen is totally ignored except for farming or crafting issues. Called both the Press and Macon County News about the "Fluff" article they did on Shields, wherein it was claimed he was a "Green Beret". Both had done articles on his military service several months before and did it correct, that he was in the 173rd Airborne Infantry Brigade, did his two years and went to college, no Special Forces service which takes 2+years of training and a 3 year commitment after, he only did his 2, 18 months in Nam. The Press said the article was written by his current wife and presented by two of her friends and they would not correct it. Strange when they perpetrate a lie and won't retract it or clarify that they just accepted fiction from someone without verification. Either papers could have gone to the Court House and looked at his DD 214, seems all the women in Franklin are too infatuated with him, ie, including the newspaper "investigative" reporters!
Jason Richard

Burnsville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Sep 6, 2011
 
Thanks for the info, Ghost Dog. I've always wanted to move back home, but everybody there tells me not to expect it to be anywhere near the same place it once was.

Mast Stores avoiding it was a sure sign of stagnation--they would need customers! It will be interesting to see how much longer People's can hang on without making any money! I guess Janet does not have the pipeline to God that Phil has!

The sad part though is that the newspapers and politicians keep on talking about Franklin as if it is God's gift to the tourists, but when I was there this summer, main street was empty every day. Just a few Appalachian Trail hikers and courthouse people.

And the Press is always more full of foreclosures than real estate transfers.
Life is a Bitch

Hayesville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Sep 6, 2011
 

Judged:

3

3

2

Ghost Dog wrote:
Franklin is controlled by freinds of friends and their family members, starting with the, now Town Manager, former County Manager who is a friend of Dalton and Drake and the Gillespie guy that took a $15K contract to over $173,000 for a security system that really doesn't secure anything but the Town Mgr's gun collection, a collection that got him fired as County Mgr back in the 80's for having fully automatic weapons that a previous Sheriff gave him to hide them. The EDC guy was hired over 24 more qualified and experienced people, alledgedly because he was "enthusiastic and inexperienced"! First time in the history of the world something like that has happened, usually intelligent people hire experience, education, training, etc. but hey hired a tutor for him for over 6 months and he still hasn't produced anything other than saying a building owned by the county "has possibilities for future businesses"! Wow! Can I have that job? Car subsidy, he rides around in a Cadillac CTS, free phone, travel expenses, and now, assistants! To do what? Oh, take more taxpayer's money for friends of friends in high places and their children, like the "Young Professionals", heh, heh, heh, what a joke, a bunch of Drakett family members and friends who have a party house down on Hwy 28 right where the new roadwork ends. WE have all been scammed and continue to be taken. Who got rich off the $2.4 Million for the Mountain View School land,$240,000 per acre of usable Bottom Land in a bad location with sewage and traffic problems. What did we get for $47 Million?
Sounds like you know nothing and like to just talk.
Jason Richard

Burnsville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Sep 6, 2011
 
Life is a Bitch wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like you know nothing and like to just talk.
If Ghost Dog is wrong, then please give us the real scoop in your opinion. What is your take on why Franklin is going downhill. What can help?
Ghost Dog

Franklin, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Sep 6, 2011
 
Wrong about what? Why no specifics or counter points to prove your allegation?
Ghost Dog

Franklin, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Sep 7, 2011
 

Judged:

1

Hmmm, seems like "life is a bitch" doesn't have any proof, any specific clarifications, just spam!
Ghost Dog

Franklin, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Sep 8, 2011
 
Hmmmm, silence from "liab"?
MountainGranny

Franklin, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Sep 29, 2011
 

Judged:

3

2

1

Jason Richard wrote:
So what has the "enthusiastic" Economic Development Director done yet except put up "Entrepreneurial City" signs on all the main entries into town?
I guess that's better than the more accurate "Drakeville is a Dying City" signs.
Have y'all given up on your sad little town?
Yes Drake has a lot of property. He came by it honestly and he has given a lot of people work in a county that was lacking in jobs. Don't come down on him so hard. People would have had to leave this town for work in other places if it had not been for Phil Drake. To those of you who seem hellbent on blaming Drake for all the problems, why don't you jump in and help this town to recover instead of giving so much lip service. If you want a place to start, start with the town fathers and county commissioners.
Joe Jones

Burnsville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Sep 29, 2011
 

Judged:

2

MountainGranny wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes Drake has a lot of property. He came by it honestly and he has given a lot of people work in a county that was lacking in jobs. Don't come down on him so hard. People would have had to leave this town for work in other places if it had not been for Phil Drake. To those of you who seem hellbent on blaming Drake for all the problems, why don't you jump in and help this town to recover instead of giving so much lip service. If you want a place to start, start with the town fathers and county commissioners.
Mountain Granny, you are absolutely clueless about the situation here. The "leaders" have protected their own self interests and have worked hard to keep everybody else out that would provide a wide range of jobs. As a result, young people do leave, and other businesses and industries will not come here because of the political inbreeding, stagnant economy, and the ultra conservative religiosity that pervades everything, including all the boards and commissions and committees, etc. There is no such thing as separation of church and government in Macon County.
George Sanders

Burnsville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Oct 11, 2011
 

Judged:

1

MountainGranny wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes Drake has a lot of property. He came by it honestly and he has given a lot of people work in a county that was lacking in jobs. Don't come down on him so hard. People would have had to leave this town for work in other places if it had not been for Phil Drake. To those of you who seem hellbent on blaming Drake for all the problems, why don't you jump in and help this town to recover instead of giving so much lip service. If you want a place to start, start with the town fathers and county commissioners.
From the Smoky Mountain News:

"Phil Drake acknowledges that he has two kinds of enterprises. There are those launched or purchased for strategic business reasons; others he owns to ensure family members in Macon County have places to work.

Drake has a lot of family, and he owns a lot of businesses: some 18 or so under the Drake Enterprises umbrella alone....

More than 500 people work for Drake. Key employees, those he wants to keep in the company for life, are encouraged to buy stock in Drake Enterprises using money Drake loans them. These employees now own 10 percent of the company...."

So is this town a "company store" or what!!!!!!!!!! The employees he "wants to keep in the company for life" are his EVANGELICAL BAPTISTS. No one else need apply.
Goldstone

Burnsville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Oct 12, 2011
 
So whats next?

Since: Sep 11

Franklin, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Oct 13, 2011
 

Judged:

1

George Sanders wrote:
<quoted text>
From the Smoky Mountain News:
"Phil Drake acknowledges that he has two kinds of enterprises. There are those launched or purchased for strategic business reasons; others he owns to ensure family members in Macon County have places to work.
Drake has a lot of family, and he owns a lot of businesses: some 18 or so under the Drake Enterprises umbrella alone....
More than 500 people work for Drake. Key employees, those he wants to keep in the company for life, are encouraged to buy stock in Drake Enterprises using money Drake loans them. These employees now own 10 percent of the company...."
So is this town a "company store" or what!!!!!!!!!! The employees he "wants to keep in the company for life" are his EVANGELICAL BAPTISTS. No one else need apply.
We all know Smoky Mountian News is anti religion......

Since: Mar 13

Landrum, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Apr 1, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Phil Drake has an entire enterprise built to serve Macon County. He builds world-class facilities that don't bring him a dime other than tax advantages. Instead, they give us jobs that no other town in WNC has.

But he's a self-serving tyrant bent on ruining Franklin? Wow.....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Greenville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Greenville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Greenville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Greenville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Greenville
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••