Donham Involved in Till Torture

Donham Involved in Till Torture

Posted in the Greenville Forum

Relativity

Elizabethton, TN

#1 Jul 25, 2013
I am not black/African-American, and I fill in Caucasian when asked.

But mostly I am proud of being a human being, of being a humane and generous person who believes in the Golden Rule.

I read about the horrible torture and killing of Till, the young black boy so many years ago. I saw a transcript of the CBS show and thought about the Donham in your town, whose HONOR was defended after the boy whistled at her.

I hope before she died in your midst that a lot of changes had come to her. NOT that she was beaten and taunted cruelly for hours, had her nose hacked, her eye and ear cut off, a bullet put completely through her head like Till did.

But that she saw all humans as sharing more in common than in differences. That she questioned segregation and Jim Crow laws, that she questioned the "superiority" of so-called humans who defended and justified this cruelty, and that she recognized the evil inside her and those she justified and enabled ---BECAUSE she felt guilt and responsibility for helping to sic them onto Till! Poor evil sack of ____!

Up here in NE mountainous East Tennessee we have a lot of unemployment, meth heads, and a dropping high school graduation rate!

I am afraid the growing ignorance could put us on a level with Mississippi, where voters actually forgive and overlook racial hatred....not unusual in itself but they seem to do it without shame.

If old Ms. Donham is still alive, I wonder if she has figured out what it means to be human. I doubt it. She probably spent decades telling those men they did the right thing.
Jargonaut

Sioux City, IA

#3 Aug 19, 2013
Well put.
Pete

Oklahoma City, OK

#4 Aug 27, 2013
Well Sir. Let me fill you in on a couple things. First Ms. Donham is alive and well and living in Raleigh NC now. She has done well in her life and lives very comfortably as a retiree. I knew her well when I lived in Greenville and there was not a sweeter little old lady than Ms. Donham. She worked for over 40 years and saved. She never went on food stamps/welfare, or any other form of govt assistance. People like her make me proud to be White. Nothing better than seeing some lazy ass black gal in wal mart with 3 or 4 babies pull out that food stamp card while I have to write out a personal check that comes from actually working 10 or 12 hours a day. Had to leave Greenville because it was starting to become like Harlem after dark. Actually a higher murder rate than NYC. But hey we should feel sorry for them because slavery over 150 years ago. Proven fact: Tills Father was a rapist and was Executes by US GOVT in Italy during WW2. That little fat bastard had no right to do what he did to Ms. Donham. Wish they would have given Bryant and Milam a medal. You liberals make me laugh until it hurts sometimes. For your next Liberal Project I want you to go to Greenville and go down Nelson Street at night and see if u wake up in a morgue the next morning. The Great Winston Churchill: "If you're not a Liberal at 20 you have no Heart. If you're still a Liberal at 40 you have no Brain. Long Live Mississippi!!
Relativity wrote:
I am not black/African-American, and I fill in Caucasian when asked.
But mostly I am proud of being a human being, of being a humane and generous person who believes in the Golden Rule.
I read about the horrible torture and killing of Till, the young black boy so many years ago. I saw a transcript of the CBS show and thought about the Donham in your town, whose HONOR was defended after the boy whistled at her.
I hope before she died in your midst that a lot of changes had come to her. NOT that she was beaten and taunted cruelly for hours, had her nose hacked, her eye and ear cut off, a bullet put completely through her head like Till did.
But that she saw all humans as sharing more in common than in differences. That she questioned segregation and Jim Crow laws, that she questioned the "superiority" of so-called humans who defended and justified this cruelty, and that she recognized the evil inside her and those she justified and enabled ---BECAUSE she felt guilt and responsibility for helping to sic them onto Till! Poor evil sack of ____!
Up here in NE mountainous East Tennessee we have a lot of unemployment, meth heads, and a dropping high school graduation rate!
I am afraid the growing ignorance could put us on a level with Mississippi, where voters actually forgive and overlook racial hatred....not unusual in itself but they seem to do it without shame.
If old Ms. Donham is still alive, I wonder if she has figured out what it means to be human. I doubt it. She probably spent decades telling those men they did the right thing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greenville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dominant motorcycle club (Jun '13) Aug 21 Flying Eagles 6
attorney carl hagwood Aug 21 redeemer 1
News Our Opinion: Patience rewarded with new Elvis P... Jul '16 Why Why Why 7
Moving to Greenville area (Feb '16) Jul '16 Tiredofoklahoma 9
Toss Salad May '16 Gregory 1
send message to leland chapman (Feb '07) May '16 Mandee2526 108
News Rising waters: The great flood of 1927 Apr '16 Riverfest 1

Greenville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance