Mississippi judge jails attorney for not reciting Pledge of Allegiance

Full story: Santa Cruz Sentinel

A Mississippi judge jailed a lawyer for several hours for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegiance, ordering the attorney to "purge himself" of contempt by standing and repeating the oath like the rest of the courtroom.
Comments
1,541 - 1,560 of 1,964 Comments Last updated 4 hrs ago
Been There Seen That

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2012

Granny Grey wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not Dixie. It has nothing to do with National pride. What the judge did was against the law. Where in the Constitution does it say that one must stand and say the Pledge of Allegiance? Do you know anything about the Pledge? Do you know when it was written what words were in it and when it was altered? Do you know it was written nearly 100 years after the nation was born or that it was altered in about 1952 to the present recitation?
Please take a few minutes and actually read the Constitution. Judges and other court officers are sworn to uphold the Constitution. What that judge did was to break the law and tread on that attorney's constitutional rights.
We do not allow individuals to erode others constitutional rights...And that's the way that we roll in the United States of America including Mississippi.
I agree with you. Judge Talmadge Littlejohn already had a grudge against Attorney Danny Lampley. Search these names on the net and you will see that the Talmadge had blood in his eye for Lampley for some time and was looking for an excuse to jail Lampley.

http://www.mslitigationreview.com/tags/judge-...

The judge was punished by the Supreme Court of Mississippi. He was fined and reprimanded. The judge is the villain here, not the lawyer.
Adolpho Busillo

Baldwin, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2012

Judged:

What's the Supreme Court of Mississippi? Some out house behind a gas station?
Stiv

New Windsor, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2012

Adolpho Busillo wrote:
You should travel there and find out; making the same remarks all the while.
Stiv

New Windsor, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2012

Good Attorney wrote:
Good attorney! I do not recite the pledge either, nor do I salute the flag. Why bother, given that the country is overrun by illegal immigrants, that public employee unions bribe our politicians, that activist judges overturn the vote of the people, and that racial and gender quotas are used instead of merit?
The only thing this country MIGHT do for me is pay back what I put into Social Security. Then again, maybe it won't.
The only truly good comment on this thread. The U.S. is not the America it used to be. There is very little reason to have loyalty or respect for it anymore.

That's also more than obvious from the comments of people from the rest of the country who can't wait to dump on the state I was born into. Southerners, of all people, should defend this country the least of all. It's full of horrible people. Live in Md. for awhile and you'll find out.

The only thing wrong with Southerners is your naivete. Don't try to mold yourselves to fit the rest of this shit-hole nation. There is nothing in it for you.
tree hugger

Salt Lake City, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2012

Adolpho Busillo wrote:
Written by a real ass.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2012

Judged:

Granny Grey wrote:
<quoted text>
Congratulations on your accomplishments. However, why are you blaming the occurrence of a shift in economies on the President? Does the President set fiscal policy? No, Congress does. Who elects Congress? We do.
It is technology and automation that is changing the workforce needs. Fewer workers are needed with the tools that are now available. Things are not getting worse, it is instant communication across the globe that is now available.
People pump their own gas, bag their own groceries, use ATMs rather than tellers, businesses use automated systems rather than switchboard operators, executives type their own correspondence, e-mails are sent rather than via U.S. Postal mail, the military may use drones instead of a manpower, Farmers use big machinery to harvest crops instead of manpower, automakers use automation and technology instead of manpower. So, what does all this do? Reduce the number of man hours available for U.S. workers. Competition is fierce. So, that drives down the demand for wages. People are happy to have minimum wage jobs.
Think about that for a minute...
Try finding a job in the construction industry, a chef, Any trade, It's a combination of reasons but since obama has come into office, Show me the job statistics.
tubby

Jackson, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2012

I believe that the petition to vote Tishomingo county wet will win, by 70% for it and 30% against it, what do you thank? If you would like to sign the petition to vote Tishomingo County wet it will be in the Tishomingo county news paper September 6 and 13 2012
anon

Tupelo, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2012

Judged:

The government should not have control over the things you consume. This is nothing but tyranny.

It is time for the citizens of Mississippi to rid themselves of government welfare and be responsible for themselves, then they would have the freedom to drink to their heart's content.

As long as Mississippi lives on Government grants they will be controlled by Government rules.
Butt head

Urbandale, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2012

Agreed. The first government control we need to rid ourselves of is this internet invention by our military. My oh my the government erred giving butt heads like you a public forum.
anon

Tupelo, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2012

"The first government control we need to rid ourselves of is this internet invention by our military."
==========
It was Bell labs that started the internet not the Government.
anon

Tupelo, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2012

Judged:

"The judge was punished by the Supreme Court of Mississippi. He was fined and reprimanded. The judge is the villain here, not the lawyer. "
==========
Danny Lampley is one of the few honest Lawyers left in MS. He is also poor because he does not go along with the payola that most lawyers do such as Scruggs. The local judges are elected by the low voter turnout and most often the only one on the ballot. Mississippi politics has not changed since the carpetbaggers. Keep the people poor and illiterate as they are forced to buy from the company store. Keep them in debt and indentured servants.
eric

Westminster, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2012

anon wrote:
"The first government control we need to rid ourselves of is this internet invention by our military."
==========
It was Bell labs that started the internet not the Government.
It was the government with the arpanet.
eric

Westminster, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2012

Judged:

anon wrote:
The government should not have control over the things you consume. This is nothing but tyranny.

It is time for the citizens of Mississippi to rid themselves of government welfare and be responsible for themselves, then they would have the freedom to drink to their heart's content.

As long as Mississippi lives on Government grants they will be controlled by Government rules.
No, the only tyranny it is is religious tyranny. Prohibition ended long ago.
anon

Tupelo, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2012

Judged:

eric wrote:
<quoted text>
It was the government with the arpanet.
==========
Around this time, Bell Telephone Laboratories (BTL) and General Electric (GE) joined with Project MAC in the development of MULTICS (Multiplexed Information and Computing Service).

The Government contracted with Lincoln Laboratories after Bell labs invented the Transistor electronic switch. The algorithms to eliminate noise made it possible. Many people worked on separate issues and funding came from many sources. Universities where the fist to link computer communications this was done with the bell switching systems. Yes the government used arpanet but the idea and work was done way in advance of the military application.

It is typical to use university research for military applications but the military does not invent things they just fund promising ideas.

It is difficult to get venture capital money without a business model.
anon

Tupelo, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2012

Judged:

eric wrote:
<quoted text>
No, the only tyranny it is is religious tyranny. Prohibition ended long ago.
Government money comes with strings attached. Those rules are a form of tyranny. The government is a religion it is called secular humanism.
eric

Hattiesburg, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2012

Judged:

anon wrote:
<quoted text>Government money comes with strings attached. Those rules are a form of tyranny. The government is a religion it is called secular humanism.
thank you for the information on the Internet, I will research further.

However, I do disagree with secular humanism equating to a religion or government. Government is supposed to be secular by nature. Government is supposed to be concerned with it's people and run by the will of it's people. Religion wants to dominate government so a very narrow worldview is applied as a blanket to all people regardless of their personal beliefs. The puritans were kicked out of England because their religion clashed with the state religion, they were also subsequently not welcomed to Holland because of their propensity to proselytize their zany beliefs. They ended up in what was to be called America where religious freedom for Puritans, and no one else was the rule of law. As the colonies grew, it became obvious that this would not work. Then those really smart cats the declared our independence came together and based our founding on past experience. The puritans were removed from their home country because of state religion, and they in turn burned hundreds of people at the stake for not falling into line with their religion. Any reasonable person would have seen that secularism was the only way for a government to function with a full capacity for freedom.
eric

Hattiesburg, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2012

Judged:

eric wrote:
<quoted text>
However, I do disagree with secular humanism equating to a religion or government. Government is supposed to be secular by nature. Government is supposed to be concerned with it's people and run by the will of it's people. Religion wants to dominate government so a very narrow worldview is applied as a blanket to all people regardless of their personal beliefs. The puritans were kicked out of England because their religion clashed with the state religion, they were also subsequently not welcomed to Holland because of their propensity to proselytize their zany beliefs. They ended up in what was to be called America where religious freedom for Puritans, and no one else was the rule of law. As the colonies grew, it became obvious that this would not work. Then those really smart cats the declared our independence came together and based our founding on past experience. The puritans were removed from their home country because of state religion, and they in turn burned hundreds of people at the stake for not falling into line with their religion. Any reasonable person would have seen that secularism was the only way for a government to function with a full capacity for freedom.
And of course government money comes with strings attached, just look at how responsible the congress people are with it! YOu can thank them for the strings and if you think it would be any different at state level, that would be delusional. A one million dollar grant with no stipulations from the federal government for, say schools for instance, would hit the state legislature and turn into a 50,000.00 dollar grant to be split amongst all schools in the state after the legislature got done chopping it up for their own interests.

Now the tyranny of religion in reference to the alcohol consumption prohibition is remnant of the original prohibition laws that mississippi never voted of the books because of all the god fearing religious nuts who think its a sin to have a drink. Every time a petition starts for removing these laws from the books, as i've seen where i live, the person loses business, status, and is scorned by the community for trying to get these nonsense laws erased off the books and let the economy of their areas be boosted rather than neighboring counties or states receiving the benefits. This is also another example of religious hypocrisy, because they will publicly denounce removing these laws and then take a ride to the nearest wet county for their own fix. YOu cant blame the federal government for Mississippi consistently voting against its best interests because they seem to think its a pious thing to do.
anon

Tupelo, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2012

eric wrote:
<quoted text>
Secular humanism is more that a government being secular. Our Government is a democratic republic not a pure democracy. The Senate reps were appointed by the state legislators not the voter. When states could not do their jobs the amended the Constitution to give the power to the voter. This fundamentally changed our whole system to a buy a seat system and buy a law where lobbyists over ride the public. Many Americans believe charity is a personal choice not a government mandate so that is the forced humanism religion. It is the local tyranny of the community has corrupted our freedoms and wider government infringement on liberties. Read
"Democracy in America" by Tocqueville. make sure it is not the abridged version taught in school.
eric

Carriere, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2012

anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Secular humanism is more that a government being secular. Our Government is a democratic republic not a pure democracy. The Senate reps were appointed by the state legislators not the voter. When states could not do their jobs the amended the Constitution to give the power to the voter. This fundamentally changed our whole system to a buy a seat system and buy a law where lobbyists over ride the public. Many Americans believe charity is a personal choice not a government mandate so that is the forced humanism religion. It is the local tyranny of the community has corrupted our freedoms and wider government infringement on liberties. Read
"Democracy in America" by Tocqueville. make sure it is not the abridged version taught in school.
I will find it and read it.

I still maintain that secular humanism and secular governance is not the same thing. Secular humanism refers to people who are "good without a god" secular government means religious, supernatural thought does not enter into the making of laws. It means that no religion shall be placed above another belief system in the making of those laws. Humanism is not a religion, it is a philosophy that the humans right here are far more important than whatever we believe is out there in the ether. Charity most certainly should be a personal choice and its one that i hope many people make daily. As much as it may invalidate my opinion in some circles i am speaking as someone who does have a need for government assistance. I am speaking as someone who is working very hard to NOT need government assistance. I am speaking as someone who lives and breathes these things all day every day. You cant honestly make the argument that the government is tyrannical because it dictates how a state should spend the funds it is given by a federal government (which is its revenue) in the same breath as charity being a government mandate (by which i'm guessing you mean for people like me). You can't dictate how your taxes are spent either. There are lots of things i don't like my taxes going to, but i only complain about the ones that really matter in the long run. Taxes going to food stamps for families, higher education for the less fortunate, schools for our children, housing for low income and elderly people, i do not have an issue with that. Tax money going to churches, wars, tax subsidies on oil producers that are currently putting us over a barrel while making record profits, etc. Those are the things i have a huge problem with. The world was only just beginning to change when President Johnson instituted the Great Society legislation. His motives may have been dubious and mostly political, but good things came out of it. in the 50+ years since the world has changed more and more rapidly, and for the first time in our history, America is the one left behind. People who use tyranny as quickly and easily as most do today wouldn't know what to do with themselves if real tyranny ever came along. The government thinks its a good idea to make sure all its citizens have the basic human necessities of life, and the opportunity to make something of themselves so they can give back as well, that is not in any way tyranny. Thats just the right thing to do.
LandSakes

Jackson, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2012

I love my Brownings wrote:
Oh yes next time you start inside a business look up and around are they flying a flag in a disrespectful manner (7day resale next to rameys)
the flag there has been in a wad for some time must be F***ing MUSLIMS owning that place AND I also don't go to sonic in collins they use the flag as a decoration
(Guidelines for Displaying the Flag
1. The flag of the United States should be flown daily from sunrise to
sunset in good weather from public buildings, schools, permanent
staffs, and in or near polling places on election days. The flag
may be displayed 24 hours a day on patriotic holidays or if properly
illuminated.
2. The flag should not be displayed on days when the weather is bad,
except when an all-weather flag is used.
3. The flag should always be flown on national and state holidays and
on those occasions proclaimed by the President. On Memorial Day,
the flag should be half staffed until noon.
4. The flag should be hoisted briskly and lowered ceremoniously. It
should never be dipped to any person nor should it ever be displayed
with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress.
5. The flag should never touch anything beneath it, nor should it ever
be carried flat or horizontally.
6. It should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, drapery, or
decoration, nor for carrying or holding anything.
7. The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored
in such a manner as to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged. It should
never be used as a covering for a ceiling.
8. The flag should not be draped over the hood, top, sides, or back of
a vehicle. When a flag is displayed on a car, the flag's staff
should be fixed firmly to the chassis or clamped to the right
fender.
9. The flag or its staff should never be used for advertising purposes
in any manner whatsoever. Nor should any picture, drawing, insignia
or other decoration be placed on or attached to the flag, its staff,
or halyard.
10. The flag should not be embroidered on cushions, handkerchiefs, or
other personal items nor printed on anything designed for temporary
use and discarded. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the
uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, or members of
other patriotic organizations.
11. When the flag is so worn or soiled that it is no longer suitable
for display, it should be destroyed in a dignified manner,
preferably by burning.
Is this flag a god or something?!
Break it down:
I
Pledge
Alllengence
TO the FLAG
????!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Greenville Discussions

Search the Greenville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Dog, team gone? (Sep '06) Wed Bikramprasad100 705
Fred Hood Jul 14 AKK 1
Porsha from bridezilla (Aug '11) Jun '14 Brianna 15
Special Ed kids abused by teacher! Jun '14 frank 4
Mallory Crumley Jun '14 Youre ppppp 1
ROBYN RICKARD fact or fiction May '14 jodi codi 2
Louis Scott, Jr. of Tchula has been missing 12 ... (May '07) May '14 GHE-GHE 12
•••
•••