reality

Louisville, KY

#21 Apr 22, 2014
I just wanna know y a 9 and 10 year old were out running around by themselves!? They shouldve taught them damn kids some rules! Do not be any anybodys stuff! And hello y did they have a lighter, found or not..shouldve been taught to never play with lighters! Maybe the parents need to be looked into to! Maybe if you had a little bit of a handle on ur kids this would've never happened! I wouldve known better and if i crossdd the line for some stupid reason my daddy wouldve wore my ass out!!!!!
Just saying as a parent

Owensboro, KY

#23 Apr 22, 2014
The kids had no business being in there at all parents should have been watching their kids a little better then what they were cause if they where it would have never happen and a child at that age should NOT have had a lighter little lone picked 1 up. Plus being on a school night the kids should have been in the house getting ready for the next school day at that time.
ky girl

Greenville, KY

#24 Apr 22, 2014
We encourage children of this age to get out and ride bikes, get their hands dirty..get exercise instead of sitting behind a computer screen..I did as a child in this very town..we were allowed to play "in the neighborhood"..apparently these kids were allowed to play in the neighborhood..3 doors down from the accident. Where were the parents? About 300 feet from the children..in the back yard. The fire took seconds to start. Were the boys at fault? Yep. Trespassing and having a lighter. They should be grounded half the summer..made to clean up the county..some things like that. A 9 yr old boy charged with Arson? That's crazy. Oh..and storing dangerous chemicals in leaking barrels in a residential street with no signs, fences or warnings IS illegal.
George

Central City, KY

#25 Apr 22, 2014
Hard lesson learned. I'm sure if they had it to do over again, well, they probably would have stayed at home.
Jake from State Farm

Elizabethtown, KY

#26 Apr 22, 2014
I'm sure it was an accident. If not I'm sure they would've ran away. They shouldn't have been going in someone's building but felony arson is pretty harsh for a 9yr old I think. The best lessons are hard learned but I don't Beleive it should haunt them forever as a felony would. Everyone knows that people around here are sensitive about fires at the moment and for good reason but these kids were getting into stuff like all little boys do and I'm sure they regret it. Let's just all be thankful no one was hurt. This could've been way way worse.
Jake from State Farm

Elizabethtown, KY

#28 Apr 22, 2014
Oh my mistake. I was told they ran to the house next to it. I was misinformed apparently
Wondering

Elizabethtown, KY

#29 Apr 22, 2014
So, besides the charges already filed, could any additional charges or lawsuits come up?
Hmm

United States

#30 Apr 22, 2014
Sounds like Concerned may be one of the parents of the children. Do I smell a lawsuit since you are talking about how the owner of the building was in the wrong for the chemicals & other violations?
Just saying as a parent

Owensboro, KY

#31 Apr 22, 2014
Playing outside and getting their hands dirty having fun was just the opposite of what these children where doing I have two boys the same age and they go out everyday but do not leave out of my sight neither think about going in a old building like that. They know better and know they would be in trouble for even goin near it. Parents should teach their children a little better then what they do some just think of it out of sight out of mind they don't care what the kids are doing as long as they aren't up under them bugging them all the time.
Wondering

Elizabethtown, KY

#32 Apr 22, 2014
Did that building have any historical significance or was it just a run down eyesore? Not that it matters I just can't place it.
ky girl

Greenville, KY

#33 Apr 22, 2014
The lady that lives right next door verified the oldest boy ran to her door as well as another house and alerted to call 911..the 2 youngest ran home scared to death with burnt shoes and black tar stuck to their skin from the explosion. Stop it folks with the kid bashing. If you want..go to the street and talk to the neighbors yourself. You will see this was a horrible accident. And yes..I saw the fire and it WAS still daylight. Not dusk. Not night..but DAYlight. The neighbors have been complaining about the hazardous materials in there for years. And by the way..someone who has lived near there for decades said so today they have watched kids sneaking in and out for decades.!!! And why isn't any one talking about the drug deals that been going on there for 30 yrs??? Why do I know that? Several people stated that today. I don't see any clue the parents want to not blame the children..they were at fault..what I see us that like it or not they were CHILDREN. I would have a different approach..say if the kids were 5-6 yrs older..over there smoking or something..but that simply is Not the case. I'm embarrassed of all this kid bashing on a nine yr old.
smh

United States

#34 Apr 22, 2014
They should be punished they had no business trespassing anyways...and quite frankly parents should be punished to that's what's wrong with the world ppl let their kids run buck wild and don't know what the hell there doing half the time.. and your crazy if you think they should be let of the hook.. it'll be a week and they'll be back to doing some other crap they ain't got no business doing... they need a good ass whopping!!
Jake from State Farm

Elizabethtown, KY

#35 Apr 22, 2014
A good whipping is all they need. Not felony arson charges.
history

United States

#36 Apr 22, 2014
It was in rough condition and somewhat off the beaten path. But, in its day it was best known as the Buren Martin Tobacco Warehouse. It was built and operated by his father R T Martin from around 1890 or before. So, yes it was a bit run down but a significant historic building of Greenville and the county as it predated most buildings including our county court house.
Wow

Elizabethtown, KY

#37 Apr 22, 2014
That was old. Sorry it burned
meatloaf

Greenville, KY

#38 Apr 22, 2014
Concerned wrote:
It was an accident. There was combustable barrels of chemicals that had leaked out and covered the ground. The child flicked a lighter to see what he stepped in and it combusted and injured the children. Who didn't run and hide. They notified parents who called this in to local authorities. The children also notified nearby residents to warn them. While they shouldn't have been inside the property, it should have been illegal to store these chemicals in a building not properly marked, locked, and located in a residential area. The children are lucky to have survived. So this morning when everyone is thinking about the damage, remember that these children could have been killed.
Kids don't use lighters to see what they stepped in, they use their phones. Just sayin......
meatloaf

Greenville, KY

#39 Apr 22, 2014
meatloaf wrote:
<quoted text>Kids don't use lighters to see what they stepped in, they use their phones. Just sayin......
Kids are just that, kids. They do dumb things. Stuff happens..
Kitkat

United States

#40 Apr 23, 2014
Concerned wrote:
Lesson learned . Do not trespass on other peoples property . Fires are dangerous. Maybe community service or Cdw services. But class D felony charges on a 9year old boy... Ridiculous .
this will b investigated more than the fire that took the mother and 8 children !!!!! Know that !!!
Not me

Elizabethtown, KY

#41 Apr 23, 2014
Well they weren't preachers so...
Pitiful

Paducah, KY

#42 Apr 24, 2014
Y'all r a bunch of freakin hypocrites, u all must be perfect people to judge others. How many parents follow their kids around watching every step they make at these ages.. They lives 2 or 3 houses away. They didn't go in there with the intention of burning down a building. And btw u can't just store anything in your building, it's against the law. Before u comment, know what the hell u r talking about and look at itself in the mirror. #ridiculous

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greenville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cyndi latham 4 hr Lady 1
Mitch Latham "Cowboy" 15 hr Old man snoring 183
Girlfriend wants to go to prom with her guy friend Tue Chic 13
Jeremy lee sweeney Mon Jls 8
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Kentucky (... (Oct '10) May 23 Mesothelioma 587
Pay your child support 50$ a day, if you go sit... May 23 Kat 1
Information on Jason Rice age 40 May 22 BArnold 14
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Greenville Mortgages