Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912?

Aug 13, 2013 Full story: politix.topix.com 1,073

This exam was taken by middle schoolers in Bullitt County, Kentucky. The real test contained 58 questions and wasn't multiple choice.

Full Story
MrFISHroy

Madisonville, KY

#1955 Aug 8, 2014
A stick in firewood talk is more than one piece.
sam

Owensboro, KY

#1958 Aug 11, 2014
no
Woodcutter

La Fayette, KY

#1966 Aug 12, 2014
A stick of firewood is one piece. It has 2 ends. A "stick and a half of firewood" is two pieces. Each one has 2 ends. Therefore the answer to the question is 4.
Doofus

Covington, KY

#1970 Aug 15, 2014
I can't pass a test from yesterday, much less a gazillions years ago
LMS

Clarkson, KY

#1974 Aug 16, 2014
LMS wrote:
<quoted text>
That's good.
Very good.
???

United States

#1975 Aug 16, 2014
Yep
warm cheer cheap sushi

Rineyville, KY

#1976 Aug 16, 2014
y=logx.
If y=10, then what is x?
LMS

Clarkson, KY

#1977 Aug 17, 2014
warm cheer cheap sushi wrote:
y=logx.
If y=10, then what is x?
X = 10.
Dr Rachel

Fishers, IN

#1980 Aug 21, 2014
BigButtBob wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think ANYONE from Owensboro could even get ONE answer right...no multiple choice then.
Most people who come on topix can't even spell their name. They are all so ignorant.
I dare anyone to take the quiz and tell us their score.
What is your problem? I give you my score when we all see yours SMART GUY!
Yoda-byte-me

Mountain View, CA

#1981 Aug 21, 2014
Sure wrote:
It's ironic that sheeple cry about their privacy being invaded, but when given an opportunity to give up all their information voluntarily like FB, they go right for it!!..Then Big Brother is right there to archive it. The Data Center in Utah was meant to hold in excess of Yodabytes (YB) of information. This may not seem like a big issue since most of us aren't up to anything sinister, but as someone with a degree in mathematics, I can tell you that because the collected information is going to be kept INDEFINITELY, the probability that it will one day be compromised, stolen, and published is just about 100%.
I could take information provided by you over time on FB, and use it to predict what you're going to do or where you're going to be at any given moment in the future.
Your future chinese overlords might frown on those ancient posts about freedom, democracy, christianity, or human rights. Or any posts that suggest you're mentally ill or "undesirable" in any way.
It's Yottabyte (YB=1000^8 or 1 trillion Terabytes). As for predicting the future with logs of buzzfeed quizzes, receipts revealing how much you saved at Kroger, or a 15 year old's dramatic cries for attention -- I really doubt it would be a gift of digital prophecy. If you mentioned Google searches or Adware prediction, I would be skeptical but more convinced than a silly FB test. Get real and stop trying to spread your paranoia. Misery indeed loves company.
Renee

Madison, TN

#1983 Aug 23, 2014
Probably but probably not one from today!! These children today are learning stuff a lot earlier than we did.
Yep

Stanford, KY

#1990 Aug 24, 2014
I feel certain I can.
Lol

Eubank, KY

#1991 Aug 24, 2014
I feel certain I can lol.
Liquid Lightning

Madisonville, KY

#1992 Aug 24, 2014
The fact of the matter is it WON'T raise my pay so who the Fv{l< cares?
seriously

Princeton, KY

#1993 Aug 24, 2014
BigButtBob wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think ANYONE from Owensboro could even get ONE answer right...no multiple choice then.
Most people who come on topix can't even spell their name. They are all so ignorant.
I dare anyone to take the quiz and tell us their score.
It's not that hard.
seriously

Princeton, KY

#1994 Aug 24, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>An IQ of 90 is 25% percentile. You said there was a full third below 90. Unless 25%= 33%, your claim was BS.

Libertarian wrote, "
In practical terms no one with an IQ below 100 is going to benefit from more than the most basic education - reading, writing, and simple arithmetic.
"

That's absurd. Half of people in the US can't benefit from education beyond middle school? I'd like to see your support for this claim.

Libertarian wrote, "
That can be learned in 8 years of schooling. Teaching them beyond that level simply runs up against the ceiling of their ability to learn.
"

We're not asking every person in the US to learn differential equations and high level theoretical physics. High school provides a significant breadth of knowledge of history, civics, the sciences, literature, technology, economics, health, and many other areas.
Libertarians "facts" are really based on fiction.
Libertarian

Hopkinsville, KY

#1995 Aug 25, 2014
seriously wrote:
<quoted text>
Libertarians "facts" are really based on fiction.
My facts are based on 30 years experience hiring people with high school diplomas and discovering that at least half of them could not read at an 8th grade level. Their math skills were even lower. Over half could not do the most basic addition and subtraction.
Liquid Lightning

Madisonville, KY

#1996 Aug 25, 2014
If you are from hoptown no damn wonder?
Republican

West Liberty, KY

#1997 Aug 25, 2014
It's so hard
Office Mgr

Princeton, KY

#1998 Aug 25, 2014
Liquid Lightning wrote:
If you are from hoptown no damn wonder?
The problem of a high percentage high school graduates not being able to read and do basic math (like making change) is nation wide. That is one reason why jobs that a generation ago called for only a high school diploma now require at least 2 years of college and usually a bachelor's degree. Today a bachelor's degree is what a high school diploma was 40 years ago.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greenville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 7 min American Lady 155,558
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 12 min USA 7,389
Rodney Lear muhlenberg special olympics 19 min yup 2
Who do you support for U.S. House in Kentucky (... (Oct '10) 36 min food stamp 480
Muhlenberg County Schools (Sep '11) 2 hr MCEA MEMBER 387
renee lear 2 hr chicken George 4
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 4 hr Donnie 81,662
Greenville Dating
Find my Match

Greenville Jobs

Greenville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Greenville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Greenville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]