Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912?

Aug 13, 2013 | Posted by: TopMod15 | Full story: politix.topix.com

This exam was taken by middle schoolers in Bullitt County, Kentucky. The real test contained 58 questions and wasn't multiple choice.

Comments
981 - 1,000 of 1,050 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago
lol

Greenville, KY

#1822 Jun 11, 2014
no
LOL LOL

Odon, IN

#1824 Jun 11, 2014
BigButtBob wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think ANYONE from Owensboro could even get ONE answer right...no multiple choice then.
Most people who come on topix can't even spell their name. They are all so ignorant.
I dare anyone to take the quiz and tell us their score.
they dont even read topix
nope not a chance

United States

#1825 Jun 11, 2014
lol wrote:
no
no, what????
Yeah

West Liberty, KY

#1826 Jun 11, 2014
I can pass it
Cannot

United States

#1827 Jun 12, 2014
Yeah wrote:
I can pass it
So you say...
Uh huh

Clintwood, VA

#1828 Jun 12, 2014
I can lol ....
Dr Hamilton

Lawrenceburg, KY

#1831 Jun 18, 2014
BigButtBob wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think ANYONE from Owensboro could even get ONE answer right...no multiple choice then.
Most people who come on topix can't even spell their name. They are all so ignorant.
I dare anyone to take the quiz and tell us their score.
You are a prime example of these so called "ignorant" people of whom you speak. You call other human beings "ignorant," while you display a basic representation of the word. Your statement(s), "I don't think ANYONE from Owensboro could even get ONE answer right...no multiple choice then" is literally the worst combination and placement of words (grammar) I have seen in any statement I have ever read. If your verbal grammar is as bad as it when it is written, I feel bad for the people who have to listen to you speak in fear that they may also develop your illiteracy. Also, looking at your screen name "BigButtBob," I imagine a lazy redneck who sits at home collecting welfare checks, eating off of government funds, and calling other people ignorant; all while feeling satisfied at the almost nonexistent education in which you have obtained. I am sorry I chose you to rant about, but I feel there are too many people who complain about issues and never do anything to fix the issues at hand. If people are ignorant, educate them; If they don't want to take the next step and succeed, pay them for it? No. I feel a house is enough for those who need it, but not a paycheck. Again, sorry.
lol

London, KY

#1833 Jun 18, 2014
bs u don't get dr in front of your name without passing your exams. i'm sure all anyone ever gave him was hard fen time.
Hopefull

New Haven, KY

#1834 Jun 18, 2014
Right now I am just praying I passed an Algebra test YESTERDAY at ECTC!
quick reminder

London, KY

#1837 Jun 21, 2014
no. never.
Really

Burkesville, KY

#1839 Jun 23, 2014
The educational system in the US has declined so severly in the last 100 plus years. Blame it on people that were/are too lazy to apply themselves, then blame also the bleeding hearts, and blame our political government. The goal is make it so that as many people as possible are dumbed down, then it is easier to lead them around by the nose. Give them everything you can including a stupid mans education/diploma so they will re elect you. Be honest most have fallen for it because they are too lazy and have no pride. Give me give me give me is what most people want.
Simple math question, give it a try
Explain how a unit of measure is derived from the meter?
Or second question," what is the difference between a ratio and a portion?
These were questions a third grader had to know the answers to in 1887 !
How many high school "grads" could answer ?
The two above questions were taken from The National Question Book, copyright 1887
Our nation of people are much less educated than over 100 years ago
Something to be proud of don't you think?
Libertarian

Paducah, KY

#1840 Jun 23, 2014
Really wrote:
The educational system in the US has declined so severly in the last 100 plus years. Blame it on people that were/are too lazy to apply themselves, then blame also the bleeding hearts, and blame our political government. The goal is make it so that as many people as possible are dumbed down, then it is easier to lead them around by the nose. Give them everything you can including a stupid mans education/diploma so they will re elect you. Be honest most have fallen for it because they are too lazy and have no pride.
Our nation of people are much less educated than over 100 years ago.
The quality of product turned out by our schools since about 100 years ago has declined because those schools now educate a far greater percentage of all children than they did in the past.

Take a look at this chart:

http://www.rhsmpsychology.com/images/IQ%20Dis...

Half of all people have an IQ of 100 or below. A third have an IQ below 90. Anyone in the lower third cannot master anything more than the most basic reading and simple arithmetic. In the past those people were allowed to "flunk out" and leave school when they reached their limit to learn. Many never went to school at all. Now the law requires them to attend and to remain in school until age 18. Even though they may stop benefiting from instruction in the 4th grade, they are required to remain in school for another eight years. Each one of those non-learners who in the past would have left school costs the taxpayers of Kentucky over $10,000 per year.
student

London, KY

#1841 Jun 23, 2014
It is like this, not now nor ever will I be taking this test. Find another volunteer because I have. I made a mistake signing up for it in the first place. Sorry.
Curios

United States

#1842 Jun 23, 2014
Loll
test taker

Somerset, KY

#1846 Jun 25, 2014
I am 39 years old and found this pretty simple but when i was actually in 8th grade i would have never passed it haha.
Witty

Corbin, KY

#1847 Jun 26, 2014
Easy, perfect score.
Retired Farmer

Gilbertsville, KY

#1849 Jun 26, 2014
Really wrote:
The educational system in the US has declined so severly in the last 100 plus years. Blame it on people that were/are too lazy to apply themselves, then blame also the bleeding hearts, and blame our political government. The goal is make it so that as many people as possible are dumbed down, then it is easier to lead them around by the nose. Give them everything you can including a stupid mans education/diploma so they will re elect you. Be honest most have fallen for it because they are too lazy and have no pride. Give me give me give me is what most people want.
Simple math question, give it a try
Explain how a unit of measure is derived from the meter?
Or second question," what is the difference between a ratio and a portion?
These were questions a third grader had to know the answers to in 1887 !
How many high school "grads" could answer ?
The two above questions were taken from The National Question Book, copyright 1887
Our nation of people are much less educated than over 100 years ago
Something to be proud of don't you think?
I have read stupider nonsense, but it has been a while.

Schools today do a vastly better job of educating people than they did in the past, and overall the American people are vastly better educated.

Almost all American children are taught to read and write today. One hundred years ago that was not true. About a quarter -- and as many as half in the rural South -- remained illiterate 100 years ago. For most in rural areas, education ended with the 8th grade. Many counties in Kentucky did not have free public high schools until the 1930s!
Retired Farmer

Gilbertsville, KY

#1850 Jun 26, 2014
Some facts about the "superior quality" of education in the "good old days" of the past:

In 1880 only 34 percent of black children age 5-19 were enrolled in school. 66 out of every 100 did not go to school.

In 1900 only 51 percent of white children ages 5-19 were enrolled in school. Most dropped out at the end of 8th grade -- and they had no choice but to do so because there were no public high schools in most rural communities. This was especially true in the South.

When the U.S. Army drafted millions of young men for World War 1, it discovered that as many as a quarter of them were illiterate.

http://nces.ed.gov/naal/lit_history.asp
Dummy

West Liberty, KY

#1851 Jun 27, 2014
No

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#1852 Jun 27, 2014
Libertarian wrote:
<quoted text>
The quality of product turned out by our schools since about 100 years ago has declined because those schools now educate a far greater percentage of all children than they did in the past.
Take a look at this chart:
http://www.rhsmpsychology.com/images/IQ%20Dis...
Half of all people have an IQ of 100 or below.
Yeah, that's how it's set up.
Libertarian wrote:
A third have an IQ below 90.
No, they don't. Read your own graph.
Libertarian wrote:
Anyone in the lower third cannot master anything more than the most basic reading and simple arithmetic.
No. That's like people with an IQ under 80, who represent less than 10% of the population. Furthermore, kids like that would be placed in special education classes. They're not slowing other kids down and reducing the quality of educational product.
Libertarian wrote:
In the past those people were allowed to "flunk out" and leave school when they reached their limit to learn. Many never went to school at all. Now the law requires them to attend and to remain in school until age 18. Even though they may stop benefiting from instruction in the 4th grade, they are required to remain in school for another eight years. Each one of those non-learners who in the past would have left school costs the taxpayers of Kentucky over $10,000 per year.
If there's any recipe for success in society, it's making sure people have as little opportunity as possible.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greenville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 4 min tre 2,122
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 11 min GOTP 151,483
chad watson 1 hr whatthewhat 8
Who do you support for U.S. House in Kentucky (... (Oct '10) 3 hr BIG_STEVIE 467
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 3 hr Republicans Are S... 16,150
Chantel Monique 3 hr RubThoseTits 1
Aubry goodwin 4 hr dumbasses 16
Muhlenberg County Schools (Sep '11) 22 hr GMC 275
•••
Greenville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Greenville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••