Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81692 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#98253 Dec 15, 2014
I'm afraid I really slacked off on feeding the birds this summer. There have been several small birds that found how to get into the chicken shed and they are frantic when I go in to check the water and feed.

I have about 350 good sized hand cut sandstone (formerly used as basement walls) that I've had placed 4 high around a curve at the pond. Lookin good! There still needs some sort of bushes and flowers to soften them up. Maybe next spring. A rail would be nice but that won't happen lol
Anne 52

Paris, TN

#98255 Dec 16, 2014
Mississippi Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Awhhh, nothing exotic just the locals, sparrows, chickadees, titmouse, bluejays, cardinals, etc. But I DO keep the "tree rats" thinned out rather considerably! They eat too much $$$$.(gotta ask, what does your abbreviation stand for.........or should I?)
@ Anne....hey, your stonework sounds great, almost Gothic...??... Like maybe the many colors of Climatus and / or several different vines that offer berries for the birds or tubulars for the hummers?
Hmmm-, wouldn't say "gothic" but at this point it's bare bones. Lol. The clematis and vines sound great.. Next summer I hope to finish it up .

Those "tree rats", they sure love to chew on plastic chairs .
Another time and different thread there was a troll named Tree Rat. Kinda a little crazy lol . Wonder where he wandered off to....

Location hidden

#98258 Dec 18, 2014
Mississipi Man wrote:
@ Anne ...I know you've explained your "location" before but Henderson, Tn,.........seems like we drove through there once years ago to go canoeing but I can't remember where. Oh well....... Has the ? shoe lady posted here lately?
Oh, the location jumps around on its own. If I post through my topix app under my registered name

Location hidden

#98259 Dec 18, 2014
Anne52 wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, the location jumps around on its own. If I post through my topix app under my registered name
(Sorry. Human glitch in posting . Lol)
Anyway, when I'm signed in to my topix app my registered name will post in blue. My location shows as hidden, or its supposed to anyway. If I'm not signed in my name will show gray and will show various locations. For whatever reason while I was in northeast PA my location was showing Orlando FL. Several times while in Hawaii my location was showing somewhere in California. Sitting on my couch at my house gives another crazy location and a mile away I'll get something else. All the while I'm just a quick drive from Louisville. Go figure.
Ancient Wolfs location tended to jump around some also but his stayed in the same general area.
Well, MM, hope your night is more restful than mine has been. Guess I'm took old to eat late night pizza as it sure has kept me awake!
where

Charlestown, IN

#98269 Dec 24, 2014
Conspiracy? Where?

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#98270 Dec 24, 2014
Well today is Christmas Eve and no snow yet;) which I hope we get some snow just for Christmas Time then it can leave! We will be feeding the reindeer and watching Santa's moves;)

Location hidden

#98274 Dec 25, 2014
Mississippi Man wrote:
<quoted text>'
Well,.........late night (or really early morning, it's 4.32 A.M.) snacking don't really bother me all that much I guess. I just get bored cause I ain't that hungry! I just ate a bowl of sliced peaches, no sugar added, and I love them things. But I have eaten Meat Lovers Pizza from Pizza Hut for breakfast from time to time. Popcorn is my down-fall, though!!!!!....."Anytime " ........I can remember that when I was a boy laying in front of the fireplace on the floor I could smell it coming long before Mom bought it to us. Now those were the days. MMmmm MMM! Yassir! Do your young uns like popcorn?
Oh, I love popcorn! Sometimes for Friday night supper Mom would pop a kettle full and we'd grab an apple and some popcorn and settle down with our stash of comic books. Richie Rich. Archie, Casper, Hot Stuff. Batman, superman etc. No TV.
Yes the g'kids like popcorn but braces has slowed them down. I like the microwave kettle corn that Jolly Time has but nothing beats an old 2quart aluminum saucepan and a kitchen stove. Drizzle some melted butter or margarine over that freshly popped corn and wow!

Location hidden

#98275 Dec 25, 2014
Princess412 wrote:
Well today is Christmas Eve and no snow yet;) which I hope we get some snow just for Christmas Time then it can leave! We will be feeding the reindeer and watching Santa's moves;)
Santa's come and gone but a couple trash bags of discarded wrapping paper sits by the door. No snow in my area either and it is so pretty the first day or so but then its time for it to go.

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all of you!

Location hidden

#98276 Dec 25, 2014
Mississippi Man wrote:
<quoted text>'
Well,.........late night (or really early morning, it's 4.32 A.M.) snacking don't really bother me all that much I guess. I just get bored cause I ain't that hungry! I just ate a bowl of sliced peaches, no sugar added, and I love them things. But I have eaten Meat Lovers Pizza from Pizza Hut for breakfast from time to time. Popcorn is my down-fall, though!!!!!....."Anytime " ........I can remember that when I was a boy laying in front of the fireplace on the floor I could smell it coming long before Mom bought it to us. Now those were the days. MMmmm MMM! Yassir! Do your young uns like popcorn?
That Pizza Hut meat lovers pizza is exactly what kept me up all night! Could've been I was on the verge of being sick anyway....

Location hidden

#98277 Dec 25, 2014
What a great Xmas, everyone got more then they expected and so much food and candy I'm needing a nap, lol the weather is great No snow:( but that's ok cause tomorrow we can get to use the gift cards and not worry about the crazy drivers! Hope everyone had a fabulous Xmas;)
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#98278 Dec 25, 2014
For any that might care, the Ancient Wolf is not dead and stopped in to hope each of you has had a Blessed Christmas,

Location hidden

#98280 Dec 26, 2014
What a crazy day today, warm weather, playing with all the children's toys, now have to make the plans for New Years, what to do or where to go. Can't wait to bring in the New Year with the special one!
Anne 52

Paris, TN

#98283 Dec 27, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
For any that might care, the Ancient Wolf is not dead and stopped in to hope each of you has had a Blessed Christmas,
Hello! Good to "see" you in here! And yes, we're glad youre not dead!

To princess and Abeliever and all the others a big hello also.
My topix app is failing me and I had to google this thread to even find it as it does not show up in any city's forum . Makes me crazy .

Location hidden

#98284 Dec 27, 2014
Try to delete the app and add it again, that might help. Any plans for the New Years? I'm really wanting to go to New York but not this year with the snow, so maybe I'll settle for a indoor water park and then home to bake some cookies!
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#98286 Dec 27, 2014
Popcorn... Long ago the folks popped corn that they had to first shell off the cob. Then put in a folding metal basket with a long handle and hold over the hot coals of a fireplace or the burner removed from the wood burning cook stove or a camp fire. Later Mom used a big pan with a lid and just slid the pan back and forth on top the old wood burner to keep the corn from sticking. I can still recall the noise of the sliding pan.
Popcorn balls were made with melting sorghum in a dish pan and with a little baking soda added to keep the molasses from boiling over. If one wants to raise their own popcorn, never plant it too close to eating or field corn. It will cross pollinate and won't pop. Hominy is made by soaking hardened field corn soaked in lye from wood ashes to remove the skin of the kernel. Grits are made from dried and ground hominy. Maybe I will make some store bought grits later for breakfast.
Tollesboro Guy

Lexington, KY

#98287 Dec 28, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
Popcorn... Long ago the folks popped corn that they had to first shell off the cob. Then put in a folding metal basket with a long handle and hold over the hot coals of a fireplace or the burner removed from the wood burning cook stove or a camp fire. Later Mom used a big pan with a lid and just slid the pan back and forth on top the old wood burner to keep the corn from sticking. I can still recall the noise of the sliding pan.
Popcorn balls were made with melting sorghum in a dish pan and with a little baking soda added to keep the molasses from boiling over. If one wants to raise their own popcorn, never plant it too close to eating or field corn. It will cross pollinate and won't pop. Hominy is made by soaking hardened field corn soaked in lye from wood ashes to remove the skin of the kernel. Grits are made from dried and ground hominy. Maybe I will make some store bought grits later for breakfast.
AW,
Great to see you here. I just wanted to tell you that I too remember the sound of that "sliding pan". Even now, when Mom pops corn in the pressure cooker (without the lid) she slides that pan the same way. I Wonder how far across America the tradition goes.... It's a great memory from my youth.

Rick

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#98288 Dec 28, 2014
@Abeliever ??
Hahaha
Anne 52

Paris, TN

#98290 Dec 28, 2014
Princess412 wrote:
Try to delete the app and add it again, that might help. Any plans for the New Years? I'm really wanting to go to New York but not this year with the snow, so maybe I'll settle for a indoor water park and then home to bake some cookies!
That's a good idea. I'll try that

The g'kids like indoor water parks and we've managed to get a few in. Not ever been to NYC though. Too much stress for me lol
Real Abeliever

Campbellsville, KY

#98295 Dec 31, 2014
Happy New Year to the regulars.....especially Ancient Wolf.

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#98297 Dec 31, 2014
Abeliever wrote:
<quoted text>
@trollman??
Hahaha
Touche and happy New Year to you and everyone..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greenville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
PAT Keith-Oates 2 hr KyMan45 43
Look who is in Muhlenberg County Jail (Jul '12) 3 hr kissmy 36
Greg L Oates 4 hr Mark 5
Kathy Mosby 6 hr Katie G 6
Chris Freels 14 hr Jaged 2
How are things with Ricky Keith and his little ... 14 hr Brel 36
Amanda Gibson 15 hr Erj40 1

Greenville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance