Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,733

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95306 Jan 7, 2014
Here is hoping that everyone is as warm and safe as Dog and I are. I worry that my chickens may not be at minus 4 degrees. A heat wave is coming though and the temperatures should be back above freezing by noon tomorrow. We still won't be skinny dipping. For one thing, we are not exactly skinny at 6 foot and 210 pounds.

While watching TV last night, it was plain to see that America is obsessed with youth and losing weight. Almost every commercial was either Jenny Craig, Nutri-system, or Weight Watchers and the rest was about buying life insurance or pills. Of course they had to throw in Safe-step walk-in tub, and hover-around. It made me want to get up and eat a half a package of Oreo cookies. I am sooooooo tired of knowing that Marie has lost 50 pounds.
KyBrownEyes

Tampa, FL

#95308 Jan 7, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
Here is hoping that everyone is as warm and safe as Dog and I are. I worry that my chickens may not be at minus 4 degrees. A heat wave is coming though and the temperatures should be back above freezing by noon tomorrow. We still won't be skinny dipping. For one thing, we are not exactly skinny at 6 foot and 210 pounds.
While watching TV last night, it was plain to see 'that America is obsessed with youth and losing weight. Almost every commercial was either Jenny Craig, Nutri-system, or Weight Watchers and the rest was about buying life insurance or pills. Of course they had to throw in Safe-step walk-in tub, and hover-around. It made me want to get up and eat a half a package of Oreo cookies. I am sooooooo tired of knowing that Marie has lost 50 pounds.

Good morning AW and Dog.
Wow...sooooo cold. We have a Kitty cat that "came" with the house. I don't like animals in the house, but I couldn't leave this little thing outside. I'm up having coffee and Kitty is curled up in front of the fire.
Now, if I could learn to pass this compassion onto humans I might grip society a little bit better. Thinking I've been around so many meanies out in this old world has gotten to my heart. Something to work on.
I hope all is well, warm and safe.
Blessings!

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#95309 Jan 7, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:

While watching TV last night, it was plain to see that America is obsessed with youth and losing weight. Almost every commercial was either Jenny Craig, Nutri-system, or Weight Watchers and the rest was about buying life insurance or pills. Of course they had to throw in Safe-step walk-in tub, and hover-around. It made me want to get up and eat a half a package of Oreo cookies. I am sooooooo tired of knowing that Marie has lost 50 pounds.
LOL. But Marie is feeling oh so sexy in that red dress. It's the New Years loss weight commercial wave. Good news--- it usually doesn't last much pass Jan. 31.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95310 Jan 7, 2014
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL. But Marie is feeling oh so sexy in that red dress. It's the New Years loss weight commercial wave. Good news--- it usually doesn't last much pass Jan. 31.
But why would I care how Marie feels? It is highly unlikely that I will get an opportunity to feel her or her red dress LOL Hurry Ground Hog Day !! LOL

“Nothing is as it appears to be”

Since: Dec 13

My Happy Place

#95311 Jan 7, 2014
Good Morning to all! I watched the sun slog over the hill a bit ago and it looked like a small fire which had been kindled on a frozen pond. It didn't rise in the usual fashion as one great fireball, but seemd to burn several small holes through the bitter cold sky in bits and pieces. I am reminded of the first lines of Emily Dickenson's poem,“Day”.'I'll tell you how the sun rose, a ribbon at a time.' I do enjoy watching the sun rise each morning. I am reminded that it is another opportunity to try and be a better person than I was yesterday.

I hope everyone stayed warm last night. I am thankful for my warm home and also thankful that the electricity didn't go out during the night. I heard that some folks lost power and that could be life threatening in such cold.
I'm sure Miss E stayed toasty warm in those wool bloomers. LOL!

AW and dog no doubt were warmed by that good wood fire. I agree with you, AW on the diet infomercials. They are designed to play on the guilt of all the people who overindulged during the holidays, and now we too can look like Marie if we will only buy some fancy, over-priced food. I have never understood how buying more food could possibly help me lose weight. That seems backward to me. If I were trying to lose weight I would be trying to get my mind off food, not buying more!
And Miss E is right, the commercials have to end in time to ply us with Valentine candy. LOL!

Anne, I hope you're still enjoying those grandchildren. But I'm sure you are. I certainly enjoy hearing about them. Those gingerbread houses sounded very unique. You do know how to take an idea and make it your own – very creative!

And speaking of creative, I know I am waxing poetic this morning, but some days are like that. LOL!
It is time to start my day and see how much I can get accomplished before the end of Emily Dickenson's poem......”a Dominie in Gray, put gently up the evening bars, and led the flocks away.”

Stay safe and warm, everyone, and have a great day!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95313 Jan 7, 2014
lmao wrote:
Stop posting this it's annoying
stop reading and you won't be annoyed. It is mind over matter. We don't mind and you don't matter.
Anne

United States

#95315 Jan 7, 2014
Good Morning!! Brrrrr! The outside cats were welcomed inside last night but they were more than ready to get out this morning! It's just so cold!
All the winter holiday commercials are getting old ! I don't need or want to loose 50 pounds... 5 would make me happy. Lol
Exposed

Columbia, KY

#95317 Jan 7, 2014
"EXPOSED: USDA's Secret War on Wildlife"
In our newest film you'll see three former federal agents and a Congressman blow the whistle on the USDA's barbaric and wasteful Wildlife Services program and expose the government’s secret war on wildlife.
http://www.predatordefense.org/exposed/index....
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#95318 Jan 7, 2014
Frozen hot water line, but no complaints. Space heater and temperature tomorrow should fix it. Many states with worse weather than Ky. That little ray of sun can keep on sparking. To all the Folks traveling in this weather, stay warm and drive safe. Stop if you need a break. The winds have been harsh.
As far as dieting and buying those overpriced meals, I prefer eating from the garden anyway. Can't wait for homemade vegetable soup with fresh maters, corn off the cob, taters and every other good morsel in the pot. Now, garden work and egg gathering will benefit one by exercise. Heck, it doesn't require a lot of space. Frugal gardening on a budget. All one needs are planter boxes, pots, soil and seeds.
Can't wait to hear from Mr. Groundhog. Hope his news will be splendid.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#95321 Jan 7, 2014
Misty eyed wrote:
Frozen hot water line, but no complaints. Space heater and temperature tomorrow should fix it. Many states with worse weather than Ky. That little ray of sun can keep on sparking. To all the Folks traveling in this weather, stay warm and drive safe. Stop if you need a break. The winds have been harsh.
As far as dieting and buying those overpriced meals, I prefer eating from the garden anyway. Can't wait for homemade vegetable soup with fresh maters, corn off the cob, taters and every other good morsel in the pot. Now, garden work and egg gathering will benefit one by exercise. Heck, it doesn't require a lot of space. Frugal gardening on a budget. All one needs are planter boxes, pots, soil and seeds.
Can't wait to hear from Mr. Groundhog. Hope his news will be splendid.
I'm enjoying the jars of stewed tomatoes I put up last summer, but missing my fresh tomatoes very much!
Anne

United States

#95322 Jan 7, 2014
Misty, you are ready for spring!! All those fresh veggies sound so good!! Late October I placed the banana trees in black garbage bags ( stalks were trimmed to 18 inches) and placed in the crawl space. They have leaved out and look great. Sooo, I'm wondering how tomato plants would do under there. The "crawl space" is insulated and fairly warm--also it's 4 ft/5ft tall. A perfect "greenhouse"? I leave a few florescient lights on at all times but the only natural light is the little that enters from the indoor trap door. An interesting experiment at the very least !
Maybe, just maybe, school tomorrow?? Please, please, Oh please, Mr. School Superintendent . Duel Reality, I'm fresh out of stamina. Lol!
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#95323 Jan 7, 2014
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm enjoying the jars of stewed tomatoes I put up last summer, but missing my fresh tomatoes very much!
Fantastic, crushed stewed tomatoes. Just had some last week with the stuffed cabbage and enchiladas. You sure have made me hungry. I know, in the summer as far as tomatoes go, the bigger the better. Talk about a feast;) They compliment beef and pork so well or by themselves.One extra large does the body good. Hehe.
Anne

United States

#95324 Jan 7, 2014
I think this summers treasure hunt will be for a wood stove to install in our barn apartment--a just in case item. Then I'll dig through my ton of cast iron cookware for a soup pot to sit on the top and slow cook that vegetable soup. Wood shouldn't be a problem with all these trees around here.

Miss E , I'm starting to feel the urge to can some tomatoes again. For years I'd can every summer but haven't done so in several years.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95325 Jan 7, 2014
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
Over Christmas, I had canned stewed tomatoes in one pot on the wood stove and canned green beans with ham bits in another and beef pot roast in the crock pot. I ate on them for 3 days, then started a fresh pot of chili with more canned tomatoes. I wrapped some of my green tomatoes in brown paper and put them on a plywood board in the basement (layed out separately so none would touch) and had nice ripe tomatoes up until after Thanksgiving with only about a 25% loss (but they were not a total waste, the chickens got them LOL).
Anne

United States

#95326 Jan 7, 2014
Just thinking of all the spring possibilities keeps my brain in a whirl!! This crawl space-- more like a short basement-- may prove its worth after all! Storing green tomatoes in brown paper, etc. and when I do some canning that space would be an excellent storage space. With our access from inside the house, we'd never have a problem getting our food.

“Nothing is as it appears to be”

Since: Dec 13

My Happy Place

#95327 Jan 7, 2014
I just woke from a short, late nap. I just can't seem to recover my strength after being sick. I can sit down to rest and fall asleep sitting up. LOL
But I have learned something new. AW, I have never heard of storing the green tomatoes. I will try that this next growing season. I put away more tomatoes last summer than anything else. In fact I'll be using some tonight in my fresh pot of turkey, vegetable soup. I do believe I could live on soup. Last week it was homemade chicken, vegetable. And now all of you have made me even hungrier for my soup tonight, with your talk of fresh garden vegetables. and also making me long for growing season even more!

Anne, I understand about the children, they are so much fun, but their energy never seems to run out, while mine comes in limited quantities and takes longer to replenish once expended. LOL! For your sake, I hope there is school tomorrow.:-)

Well, I'm off to the kitchen and the big soup kettle to see what magic I can conjure up!
qwerty

Butler, KY

#95328 Jan 7, 2014
Try to devote at least a few hours today to drinking a few beers that mean a lot to you. You will no longer be interested in activities that are simply a way of passing the time, and nor will you want to be with people who aren't drinking as seriously as you are. Ideally, you should drink something that fills you with satisfaction and the knowledge that you're gonna hurl to the best of your ability. So what might that be?
Anne

United States

#95329 Jan 7, 2014
Dual Reality wrote:
I just woke from a short, late nap. I just can't seem to recover my strength after being sick.

Anne, I understand about the children, they are so much fun, but their energy never seems to run out, while mine comes in limited quantities and takes longer to replenish once expended. LOL! For your sake, I hope there is school tomorrow.:-)

Well, I'm off to the kitchen and the big soup kettle to see what magic I can conjure up!
It does take a while to recover so just enjoy those naps! Take your time and don't overdo things.

Mr. School Superintendent called. No School Tomorrow. Youngest g'kid (10) made a simple pillowcase using my sewing machine earlier today. Oldest one played a lot of computer games. In between times they fought. Lol. Tomorrow? Time will tell!

We had a beef stew tonight. Very good. Just right for a cold cold night!
carter county

Catlettsburg, KY

#95330 Jan 7, 2014
bird's the word
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95333 Jan 8, 2014
Dexter wrote:
A third-party candidate in the Kentucky Senate race has accused Democrat Alison Lundergan Grimes’s campaign of trying to buy him out of the race.
Ed Marksberry claims in a 15-page missive that affiliates of her campaign offered him and his campaign manager benefits in exchange for his full exit from the race. Marksberry dropped out of the Democratic primary last year to run as an independent after alleging the state party inappropriately favored Lundergan Grimes.
Your posting here stands out just about as much as someone showing up at a top hat and tuxedo affair wearing a green and purple leisure suit. The comedy of it all is quite remarkable. LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greenville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Drug Addicts 52 min starla 18
Aimee's This-n-That 5 hr tank welder 6
Rolley Sentenced in Murder of Infant (Dec '09) 7 hr Andrew Dixon 55
Krissy Garrett 10 hr haha me 14
Amanda Jones 12 hr yeah 2
johnna carver!!!! Fri Truth Teller 5
jack pierefield (Jan '13) Fri lucky 3
Greenville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web