Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81695 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Blue shoes

Lynchburg, VA

#94817 Dec 12, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>I had to break ice on the spring to put water in the bucket, but worse was having to pack the girl's thunder mug to the outhouse in the morning and slipping in a snow drift and throwing the bucket in the air and it coming down on my head. LOL At 7 years old, I put my foot down and said "You use it, you pack it". But I was not home free, I got assigned other chores just some a bit for favorable than being a turd slinger. LOL
ha ha ha

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#94818 Dec 12, 2013
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>I have a fairly small crockpot but it would still hold a lot of oatmeal.. More than I'd eat in a week. How much do you make at a time?? And how big is your crockpot?
I use a small crockpot. But you can use a big one. I usually make 3 to 4 servings. I bought one of those tiny ones ($8) at Walmart that I use now that the kids are gone. But I use to use my large one. Set the heat on the lowest setting. After all the kids were gone for college, it took me a few years to learn to scale back the portions.

Location hidden

#94819 Dec 12, 2013
Hope everyone is staying warm. It was a night for Gumbo. A nice pot of chicken and sausage gumbo hit the spot. A shout out to Heaven to "mi Cher Me Maw, thanks for teaching me to cook"
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#94820 Dec 12, 2013
Imposter and Helter Pete must have went on the same trip together. LOL
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#94821 Dec 12, 2013
* must have gone... Improper grammar after sleeping through Andy Griffieth for an hour LOL
Anne

Paris, TN

#94823 Dec 12, 2013
Lol. AW. Someone posting as me, but you know better than to fall for that. Lol

About breaking the ice on a cold morning: there was a water bucket for drinking water that sit on the sink cabinet. During the coldest nights that water would freeze. Funny, I never remember being cold in that feather bed with flannel sheets and quilts.
big stormy

Arlington Heights, IL

#94824 Dec 12, 2013
big storm a-comin ,...KYs -time to batten down the hatches !
Anne

Paris, TN

#94825 Dec 12, 2013
big stormy wrote:
big storm a-comin ,...KYs -time to batten down the hatches !
Noooo, not more of this cold mess!!
What

Nicholasville, KY

#94827 Dec 12, 2013
What does this have to do with it?

Location hidden

#94828 Dec 12, 2013
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>Noooo, not more of this cold mess!!
Oh great--- another run on bread and milk at the store.
Anne

Paris, TN

#94829 Dec 12, 2013
Earlier this evening as we were checking out at the grocery, the cashier commented about the rush on milk, bread and eggs. "More bad weather coming in", he says. Yep. Stocking up on basics, that's me!
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#94830 Dec 12, 2013
Anne wrote:
Earlier this evening as we were checking out at the grocery, the cashier commented about the rush on milk, bread and eggs. "More bad weather coming in", he says. Yep. Stocking up on basics, that's me!
I never stock up on basics due to the weather. I only go to the grocery once a month and get enough stuff that will last at least another month... freezing excess milk and bread. I have more eggs than I could ever need right now. LOL and I keep frozen biscuits and canned condensed milk as a backup.

If the electric is out for an extended period, I can move it all to big coolers on the back porch much like that ice box we had out there prior to even having electric. Dad brought home big blocks of ice from the ice house and before that, grandpa harvested ice from the ponds.
Anne

Paris, TN

#94831 Dec 13, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>I never stock up on basics due to the weather. I only go to the grocery once a month and get enough stuff that will last at least another month... freezing excess milk and bread. I have more eggs than I could ever need right now. LOL and I keep frozen biscuits and canned condensed milk as a backup.

If the electric is out for an extended period, I can move it all to big coolers on the back porch much like that ice box we had out there prior to even having electric. Dad brought home big blocks of ice from the ice house and before that, grandpa harvested ice from the ponds.
There is a Rulers grocery not far from here that sells blocks of ice and a few of the Amish harvest ice from ponds. The last couple winters have been slim pickings on that though. I wonder how thick the ice must be to harvest? At the current temps refrigeration is not a problem brrrr its cold outside!!!
Moonbay

Tucker, GA

#94833 Dec 13, 2013
Nice forum, shew, finally¬°
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#94835 Dec 13, 2013
Weather is predicting to be just a little nasty north of I-64. Wintry mix Saturday night into Sunday. Let's hope it is not like the light dusting that turned out to be 17 inches of snow in Lexington some years back. LOL

Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#94836 Dec 13, 2013
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a Rulers grocery not far from here that sells blocks of ice and a few of the Amish harvest ice from ponds. The last couple winters have been slim pickings on that though. I wonder how thick the ice must be to harvest? At the current temps refrigeration is not a problem brrrr its cold outside!!!
Prior to getting electric in the early 50s, Dad had upgraded from the ice box to a propane refrigerator a couple years earlier. It was much like some they put in RVs. But we still had the wood burning cook stove and that mainly because besides cooking and winter heat, it was still needed to heat up Mom's irons for ironing the clothes in the winter.(I still have those irons and use them for book ends).

Mom went modern with a gasoline wringer washer that still set on the back porch (noisy) and had a kick starter much like a motor cycle and about 8 feet of flexible hose to take out the exhaust fumes. You still had to heat the water on a smaller wood burner that was also on the porch and was called a "laundry" stove and carry the water over to the washer. But the washer had a long drain hose to drain out into the lawn. In the summer some of the cooking, heating of the irons, and the ironing was done on the little laundry wood stove out on the back porch. After the clothes were washed, they were taken out of the washer one at a time and dipped into a metal tub of rinse water then run through the wringer to drain the excess water then dropped into another empty tub to carry out to the clothes line to dry. She was one happy camper to not have to use the scrub board any more even if she did have to go out on that cold porch in the winter to do the laundry. Yes, we are all Blessed with our more modern conveniences and have gotten just a tad lazy LOL
qwerty

Luck, WI

#94837 Dec 13, 2013
Anne wrote:
Ever notice....people will buy a weeks worth of food so they don't have to go out in the weather, but then drive in 2 feet of snow to rent a movie?

Location hidden

#94838 Dec 13, 2013
qwerty wrote:
<quoted text>Ever notice....people will buy a weeks worth of food so they don't have to go out in the weather, but then drive in 2 feet of snow to rent a movie?
Must have been a good western.
Anne

United States

#94839 Dec 13, 2013
AW. That sounds like my Amish friends.. My friends husband put a very long clothesline on a pulley - It stretches from her porch across the pasture to a high point. All she has to do is stand on that porch and keep on pinning on those clothes. It sure looks pretty neat seeing those clothes stretched out through the air! Lol
Blue shoes

Lynchburg, VA

#94841 Dec 13, 2013
Anne wrote:
AW. That sounds like my Amish friends.. My friends husband put a very long clothesline on a pulley - It stretches from her porch across the pasture to a high point. All she has to do is stand on that porch and keep on pinning on those clothes. It sure looks pretty neat seeing those clothes stretched out through the air! Lol
that sounds like real ingenuity to me. Just curious , do your amish friends know about the amish mafia show? If so, what do they think of it? I still have the wash board my mother in law used to scrub my husband clothes as a child. She use to tell me stories about gas washers, and ice boxes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greenville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
dawn hensley tacky photo (Feb '16) 4 hr cassidy 50
Auto and truck repair 11 hr Kelly 3
camper fire Sat just a girl 6
Mitch Latham Cowardboy Sat Yoyo 1
Clowns Sep 23 really? 11
Whitney Hensley (Oct '10) Sep 23 Misty Rae 24
Anyone know Jackie Hafley? Sep 22 Brit21 5

Greenville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance