Sharper Image Gift Cards Not Accepted

Full story: WXIA Atlanta 22
The Sharper Image, a popular gadget and electronics store found in malls across America filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy Tuesday, and said it would no longer accept store gift cards. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Aug 07

Stone Mountain, GA

#1 Feb 23, 2008
Amazing! Gift cards and gift certificates were paid for with cash, and now the stores refuse to accept them? While I am no expert on the bankruptcy laws, this just does not seem right. People paid for these items in good faith and now the stores are allowed to basically steal their money. I have never purchased anything from Sharper Image and you can bet I never will. If this is how they honor their customers then going out of business might be best for the consumer.
ageofpaper

Atlanta, GA

#2 Feb 23, 2008
They say "Usually, the filing of a bankruptcy petition means existing bills won't be paid until a Chapter 11 plan is in place. Sharper Image, however, said it would be "extremely disruptive" to its business to force the Asian suppliers to wait for payment."

I bet its disruptive to the consumers to have gift cards that are now worthless. They should make the lawyers accept their pay in the cruddy gift cards, once the case is over they can use them at the store. I had heard that those air cleaners were junk anyway. Notice they will pay the commies but not redeem you for the cards which have already been paid for. Anyone that buys anything from these crooks is asking to get ripped off.
ageofpaper

Atlanta, GA

#3 Feb 23, 2008
There is no law stating that they do not have to honor the cards, they just won't. I bet the CEO is still getting paid. Wells Fargo has the dumbest bankers or some one is on the take at that bank to keep throwing good money after bad.
Jim

Cornelia, GA

#4 Feb 23, 2008
This is another example why gift cards are a poor choice for gifts.

Why give real money for fake money?

Anyone given a gift card has to spend the card at a certain retailer. What if they do not like that retailer? What if the retailer goes out of business? What if they stay in business but go into bankruptcy and reorganize.

If you want to give someone money, give them money.
Fraud Watch

Windsor, CO

#5 Feb 23, 2008
Customers should avoid shopping at a bankrupt retailer during the period that it is refusing to honor merchandise credit and gift cards. Although the retailer may accept returns of faulty or unwanted merchandise so it can put it back on the shelf and sell to another customer, merchandise credit may not be honored for purchase of other items. Consumers should be on guard against this type of scam by bankrupt retailers.
ageofpaper

Atlanta, GA

#6 Feb 23, 2008
Jim wrote:
This is another example why gift cards are a poor choice for gifts.
Why give real money for fake money?
Anyone given a gift card has to spend the card at a certain retailer. What if they do not like that retailer? What if the retailer goes out of business? What if they stay in business but go into bankruptcy and reorganize.
If you want to give someone money, give them money.
You are right Sir, but it is worse than that, they charge you a monthly fee to hold your tiny amount of data in their data base and then often have a time limit on when you can use the card. If you wait the card becomes worthless and your gift receiver has ill feelings towards you. I have never been insulted by cash, if you get 70 dollars you can fill your gas tank. The dirty rotten stinking rats, sorry I did digress.
Fraud Watch

Windsor, CO

#7 Feb 23, 2008
It appears that Sharper Image continued to sell gift cards until shortly before it filed under chapter 11. A major retailer does not file a bankruptcy petition, with reorganizational financing lined up, in just a day or two. If Sharper Image continued to sell gift cards knowing that they would not be honored, then it committed theft and fraud, and may well be denied bankruptcy protection.

The United States Trustee should begin investigation as soon as possible, before Sharper Image has an opportunity to destroy evidence of potential fraudulent conduct.
ageofpaper

Atlanta, GA

#8 Feb 23, 2008
They sell those overpriced snake oil air cleaners with a fancy name called purifiers. Consumer reports gave them a lousy review and the folks paid through the nose for them. Sharper Image sells over priced junk from China and you know dang well the upper management in that company has part ownership in the factories in China and that is why they are making sure the payments are being made. Scam
Donna

Newnan, GA

#9 Feb 23, 2008
I shopped at a Sharper Image in Destin Commons FL once and it was a horrible experience. I'm not surprised to see it's going out of business after the management (or lack thereof) I witnessed at that store. They should treat the gift cards as merchandise and allow people to return them for the cash they paid. It's a total rip off for them to keep the money... but I'm sure they wouldn't even be attempting to do it if they didn't already know they can and will get away with it.
JIm

Cornelia, GA

#10 Feb 24, 2008
I've walked through A Sharper Image store numerous times and never bought a thing.

They had things that were interesting but over priced. Most of what they had, I could live without and in fact have.

This is one company the economy will probably never miss unlike Lum's. I still miss those beer steamed hot dogs.
Fraud Watch

Denver, CO

#11 Feb 24, 2008
Sharper Image's web site falsely advertises, "Sharper Image Gift Certificates have no expiration date. Valid Certificates are always honored."
http://sharper.know-where.com/sharper/
Contact your State Attorney General's Office and ask it to demand that Sharper Image investigate whether criminal charges may be brought against Sharper Image management for consumer fraud.
Also contact the United States Trustee for the District of Delaware and urge it to take control of Sharper Image before it can cheat more customers through its new policy of refusing to honor gift cards and merchandise credits.

ANDREW VARA , ASSISTANT U.S. TRUSTEE
844 KING STREET, SUITE 2207
WILMINGTON, DE 1980

Finally, go to your local Sharper Image and warn customers in the store of the risks that they are taking by buying any merchandise at this time.
Jim

United States

#12 Feb 25, 2008
I have a gift card and have filed a complaint with the BBB.
FYI

Saint Charles, IL

#13 Mar 2, 2008
I hope everyone understands that this is not a permanent thing. They will in fact honor all gift cards when their assets are unfrozen. Since gift card,merchandise certificates and reward cards are all considered outstanding debt, they have been frozen along with their assets.
Fraud Watch

Denver, CO

#14 Mar 6, 2008
FYI wrote:
I hope everyone understands that this is not a permanent thing. They will in fact honor all gift cards when their assets are unfrozen. Since gift card,merchandise certificates and reward cards are all considered outstanding debt, they have been frozen along with their assets.
Fat chance.

Sharper Image Asks to Hire Liquidator http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/559...
Look theres Hope

Los Angeles, CA

#15 Mar 6, 2008
[LOS ANGELES, Mar 05, 2008 (BUSINESS WIRE)--

THEPUREPRO.COM ANNOUNCES THAT THEY ARE HONORING SHARPER IMAGE GIFT CARDS Sharper Image has just announced they are filing for bankruptcy protection and therefore will no longer be honoring previously purchased Shaper Image gift cards.

PurePro, LLC - one of the top industry leaders in Air Purification - will honor Sharper Image customer's gift cards.

A spokesperson for PurePro, LLC released the following statement: "It's an unfortunate situation for the company (Sharper Image) but the customer should not be punished. These cards have a real dollar value and we would like to honor them." Therefore, ThePurePro.com will honor $50.00 towards the purchase of the PurePro(R) Professional air purifier for each Sharper Image gift card of any denomination. Only one gift card will be honored per order. If you have multiple cards you can place multiple orders.

This offer is valid only for online purchases at www.ThePurePro.com made between March 5, 2008 and March 31, 2008 and is only available for orders shipped within the United States.
Paul Kropa

Laurel, MD

#16 May 13, 2008
GSXR1000Guy wrote:
Amazing! Gift cards and gift certificates were paid for with cash, and now the stores refuse to accept them? While I am no expert on the bankruptcy laws, this just does not seem right. People paid for these items in good faith and now the stores are allowed to basically steal their money. I have never purchased anything from Sharper Image and you can bet I never will. If this is how they honor their customers then going out of business might be best for the consumer.
It is deplorable to allow Sharper Image to refuse to honor their gift cards. Whoever made this decision, logic dictates, he or she is a thief. Comsumer gives SI their money and SI is allowed to keep the money and tender nothing, but if you wish to buy something for TWICE as much, they will honor the certificate. How ridiculous is that!!!! Whatever happened to being fair and honest!! The court (hearing officer)must have agreed with this method of dishonesty!!!
Paul Kropa

Laurel, MD

#17 May 13, 2008
What a ridiculous method of operating bankrupty or not. Whoever made this decision, logic dictates, is a thief. Consumer gives Sharper Image (SI)their cash money for a certificate, and SI is permitted to keep the consumer's money and tender nothing. What a bunch of thieves!! You CAN use your certificate provided you buy something for TWICE as much!!! This is why people loose faith in the system. You can get arrested on the street for taking someone's money!!!!!
Becca

Portland, OR

#18 May 28, 2008
Um, I know Sharper Image isn't accepting them, and it's not exactly the same, but if you go to Brookstone, they give you 25% off of your purchase if you present a valid Sharper Image gift card.
http://www.brookstone.com/info/content.asp...
So even if you had a really little amount on your card, you could get a good sized chunk off of your purchase at Brookstone.
Ronnie

AOL

#19 Jun 2, 2008
For Christmas my husband received a stress reducing machine from Sharper Image. He used it for the trial period and it did not work for him. After following the instructions of Sharper Image I mailed it back on 2/8/08. On 4/22/08 I called Sharper Image to tell them I had not received the $323.95 merchandise credit. I was told it was mailed to me several weeks ago. They confirmed that they had the correct address (which they did) and told me they would send another merchandise credit to me. This they said would arrive between 10 to 15 business days. On 5/15/08 I called again to say I still had not received the credit. At this I was told it was only mailed out on 5/2/08 and would I please be patient and wait the 10 to 15 business days from this date. I called on 6/2/08 to say I still had not received the credit. This time what I was told blew me away. I think this borders on criminal. The customer service rep told me that the first time I called to say I did not receive the credit that customer service rep could have given me a number which I could have used to redeem merchandise online,in store, or by catalog. Unfortunately as of 5/31/08 (2 days ago) Sharper Image does not accept merchandise credit any longer. It is obvious they did not send out the credit either time. They continuously strung me along until it became too late to redeem my credit.
Karen

Jersey City, NJ

#20 Jun 4, 2008
The way I see it, this is the new age of fraud. I know a couple of people that were ripped off in the same way because the companies went out of business. THAT AIN'T RIGHT! I guess the morale of the story is: DON'T give anyone gift certificates AND do NOT pay for anything in advance (such as, tanning salons, weight loss programs, gyms, etc..)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greenville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Brawl between Pagans, Thunderguards reported at... (Jun '13) 12 hr jarhead 9
Creditors ask for probe into missed chances to ... Feb 18 tashatreiff 1
Advertise your site for free and make money whi... Feb 14 lisa 1
find people for free sex here! (Sep '13) Jan 30 Famous_15 6
Shots fired near US Vice President Joe Biden's ... Jan '15 ima-Ilis Myka Ash... 3
dating place (Sep '13) Sep '13 Les Dermo 1
Brandywine Design Craft (Dec '09) Sep '13 Douglas Haab 2
Greenville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Greenville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:45 am PST

Bleacher Report 8:45AM
Report: Eagles Release G Todd Herremans
NFL 8:49 AM
Eagles releasing longtime guard Todd Herremans
NBC Sports 9:27 AM
James Casey adds more stops to his search for a new job
ESPN 9:54 AM
Eagles release veteran O-lineman Herremans
Bleacher Report 5:38 PM
What Can Jacoby Jones Still Offer NFL Teams?