Wagoner, OK

#41 Dec 21, 2012
me went to greenup and i be smart
Sheisright

Saint Albans, WV

#42 Dec 21, 2012
Number 2 is convient now that rabys wife works at Russell
trying wrote:
This is to wondering, nothing was signed yet with any school district. The Greenup board of education is considering the following options:
1. Grandfather clause
2. Kids of employees of the school can go anywhere their parents work
3. One to one exchange
4. 25 kids per year, the capacity is 200 kids
All agreements will be the same for all districts. They will monitor addresses and gaurdians. That means they will have to decide if there's more than one child in the household, what if they are all at different schools. Plus people

are raising their nieces/nephews and grandkids. The school board is going to set up an agreement for the schools to sign with more than one option. There was more said but I didn't write it down so I don't remember. Something about if the agreement is not signed by the due date which is in the end of January we stay with the current agreement.
Sheisright

Saint Albans, WV

#43 Dec 21, 2012
Unless I'm wrong he lives in Ashland with a girlfriend. I guess it's possible he moved. If I'm wrong it's the only thing I've posted in accurate My apologies if it is
pop wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr. Hall lives in the county, and has for years!
pop

United States

#44 Dec 21, 2012
Sheisright wrote:
<quoted text>Unless I'm wrong he lives in Ashland with a girlfriend. I guess it's possible he moved. If I'm wrong it's the only thing I've posted in accurate My apologies if it is
He lives across from the high school. Beautiful log house, and has for years.
Sheisright

Ironton, OH

#45 Dec 21, 2012
I stand corrected then. He should get out into the community some. I live in a half mile from the school and have never seen him out
Neighbor

Ashland, KY

#46 Dec 21, 2012
Mr. Hall has only lived in the log house in Lloyd about 2 years.
Sheisright

Ironton, OH

#47 Dec 22, 2012
I guess two years could b considered yeeeaaarrrss by some. Lol
LOL

Wagoner, OK

#48 Dec 22, 2012
Preposterous wrote:
I am not going to become angry.(By the way my parents always taught me that "Dogs get mad. People become angry.") I am merely going to pose a few questions to you:
1)If they are getting such a "great education" then why are the test scores the way they are?
2)Why aren't the higher-ups sending their children to these schools?
3)What point does it prove to sign with one or two area schools but not the others, other than to show jealousy?
4)Why is a school system willing to uproot children from another school to finance their bottom line?(I thought this was the business of education not the business of padding a budget.)
Answer these questions intelligently and maybe then we can form a dialogue regarding this subject. Otherwise, just keep your mouth shut.
<quoted text>
School will be what you put into it. If you don't support it, then your child won't. Some parents don't encourage their child to do well in school, they are only interested in what everyone else is doing. My children loved GC Schools, both have very good careers and are thankful to those that encouraged them to do their best. Schools now days are used as a babysitting service, not to educate, because when they try to educate the parents throw a fit, they want their child to be able to talk back, play on cell phones and play sports, heaven forbid that they learn to read and write. So Yes It's Mostly The Parents Fault!
Sheisright

Ironton, OH

#49 Dec 22, 2012
I agree to a point that it is a parent problem. All the more reason to send my kid else where If i care about my child's education. I so blame the administration If u cater to some eventually all want the same treatment. Then u have the chaos that is the Greenup county school system.
betty

New York, NY

#50 Dec 22, 2012
When will the school board truly make a stand and get rid of the dead weight at central office? The system has so many problems, when will they try all new faces?
true

New York, NY

#51 Dec 23, 2012
People talk about generational poverty as a problem but rarely change leadership within the system. Not talking about a puppet Superintendent either. There are no instructional leaders in the middle schools or high school aside from maybe Amanda Powell. The rest are the proverbial good old boys who coached some and taught very little but did what they needed to get a big money principal gig. A shame but they really have no credibility to bring about educational change. Check out the test scores and climate in the buildings and try to tell me I'm wrong
Sheisright

Saint Albans, WV

#52 Dec 23, 2012
This post says it all Quite possible the best post I've ever saw about GC.
true wrote:
People talk about generational poverty as a problem but rarely change leadership within the system. Not talking about a puppet Superintendent either. There are no instructional leaders in the middle schools or high school aside from maybe Amanda Powell. The rest are the proverbial good old boys who coached some and taught very little but did what they needed to get a big money principal gig. A shame but they really have no credibility to bring about educational change. Check out the test scores and climate in the buildings and try to tell me I'm wrong
Maybe

Wagoner, OK

#53 Dec 24, 2012
Reading over all this crap, seems like if all of you would moved or pull your child out of GC. Things may start looking up. Just Sayin...
Sheisright

Ironton, OH

#54 Dec 25, 2012
Already have brother Just don't want to pay to keep them out
Maybe wrote:
Reading over all this crap, seems like if all of you would moved or pull your child out of GC. Things may start looking up. Just Sayin...
SORIGHT

Ashland, KY

#55 Dec 30, 2012
The entire school board needs replaced. DO you know that the school does not provide books that students can bring home and use towards their education? The school system is a joke and a waste. I pulled my kids out and I am so happy that they received a far better education. Greenup County needs Board members that want to make the teachers teach, quit worrying about cheerleaders and other sports UNTIL they get EDUCATIONAL needs fulfilled!Get rid of a bunch of these teachers aids that are made to do a lot of teaching!It's not their job!
true wrote:

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#56 Dec 30, 2012
SORIGHT wrote:
<quoted text>The entire school board needs replaced. DO you know that the school does not provide books that students can bring home and use towards their education? The school system is a joke and a waste. I pulled my kids out and I am so happy that they received a far better education. Greenup County needs Board members that want to make the teachers teach, quit worrying about cheerleaders and other sports UNTIL they get EDUCATIONAL needs fulfilled!Get rid of a bunch of these teachers aids that are made to do a lot of teaching!It's not their job!
They do to provide books. Are you high?
chad

Ashland, KY

#57 Dec 31, 2012
I know several adults that graduated from GCHS that can not read or write anything other than their own names. I wish I was making this up but it is very true. James "Jimmy" Stevens is one of them for example. I have told him several times to file suit against GCBE for passing him even though he's illiterate. He struggles daily to find work and like most in his shoes, the end up yurning to drugs and other criminal activity. If you know someone like this encourage them to file suit. They will win!
OMG

Galion, OH

#58 Dec 31, 2012
OMG file suit? Seriously? That is the most ridiculous thing yet.
This is a sad society we live in where everyone wants to sue and blame somebody else for their problems. Sure, the school should've never graduated a child that can't read and write, but you don't know the circumstances. Many kids who struggle with reading and writing do well to hide those problems and find ways to turn adequate school work in so that they can pass. If they then get out into the 'real world' and struggle, they need to find help, not sue the school system to make it harder for the kids that attend their now.
Parents need to start taking responsibility for their children and realize they have to have a part in their education as well. It can't be left entirely up to the teachers and BOE. When I noticed my oldest son was having problems reading I signed him up for tutoring. I didn't blame the school. Each child is different and some need extra help outside of what they are given at school.
umm

Ashland, KY

#59 Dec 31, 2012
chad wrote:
I know several adults that graduated from GCHS that can not read or write anything other than their own names. I wish I was making this up but it is very true. James "Jimmy" Stevens is one of them for example. I have told him several times to file suit against GCBE for passing him even though he's illiterate. He struggles daily to find work and like most in his shoes, the end up yurning to drugs and other criminal activity. If you know someone like this encourage them to file suit. They will win!
Yeah, and there's also plenty of people that graduate that CAN read and write. In fact, there are many students that have went on and become very successful. And no, that's not just a few...it's very many. I'm not saying it is okay that graduates are illiterate, but it's not the majority.
Maybe

Ashland, KY

#60 Dec 31, 2012
chad wrote:
Maybe the parents insisted on passing him! Maybe you don't know the whole story.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greenup Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hot teachers 20 hr Really 2
stacey thompson / carver Tue interested 7
Robert Roe (May '10) Tue Nope 27
Anyone know of HUD houses for rent? (Jun '16) Mon Rhea 7
who started trashy trailer park Jan 16 Okay 18
labecca murphy Jan 15 bill 9
Rachael anderson Jan 15 Toad frog 1

Greenup Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance