Greenup County Board of Education

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#21 Dec 19, 2012
What's the big deal? It doesn't even sound like anything bad.
Preposterous

Ardsley, NY

#22 Dec 19, 2012
1) Unlike you - I don't have to "get my dictionary back out" to hold an intelligent conversation. I'm not originally from this area and was properly educated.
2) I have plenty of "original thoughts" that I could express but I'm unsure if you could quite grasp the concepts I would be trying to put forth, seeing as how you are so closed-minded.
3) You are mistaking pride in teachers, administration, and a school system for arrogance. Please note the distinction.
4) I notice you didn't even bother to answer the questions that were posed to you. Possibly because you are unable to come up with a viable excuse for the actions that are taking place?
The SSW wrote:
<quoted text> Arrogance at its best. There is absolutely nothing to be jealous of. Now get your dictionary back out and type some more big words that you don't understand. Repeating facts that was handed to you at some "Let's go get 'em" meeting is not a response. Try to have some thoughts of your own. Simple conversation is over.
go to school

Ashland, KY

#23 Dec 19, 2012
What if everyone would want to send there kids to say Raceland or Russell. They cant take everyone. So go to your own school district. With the money that they get from the students that returns they can hire more teachers. I dont blame Greenup (BOE)Dont worry about getting what they think, their not the only ones that matter. The whole county matters not a select few.
just saying

Ardsley, NY

#24 Dec 19, 2012
My son goes to a GBE an I have to say it is one of the best schools around,he has went to Raceland an Russell an I will keep him here over them two,the teachers there are so wonderful,but I do have to say if they don't fix the high school he will go back to Raceland all as it takes is a po box or family member to use an address to get around that
wondering

Ashland, KY

#25 Dec 19, 2012
So what happened at the greenup school meeting Monday was it on the agenda to talk about and did the raceland parents get to say there part and what did the greenup now think about us coming there one more thing has any one called the news yet
elephant

Ardsley, NY

#26 Dec 19, 2012
wondering wrote:
So what happened at the greenup school meeting Monday was it on the agenda to talk about and did the raceland parents get to say there part and what did the greenup now think about us coming there one more thing has any one called the news yet
Nobody wants to say its embarrassing

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#27 Dec 19, 2012
So is raceland being phased out or something? I don't understand.
wondering

Ashland, KY

#28 Dec 19, 2012
elephant wrote:
<quoted text>Nobody wants to say its embarrassing
Why
The Faja

Ashland, KY

#29 Dec 19, 2012
elephant wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody wants to say its embarrassing
Yes! it was an embarrassing display. If you know what I mean???
The Faja

Ashland, KY

#30 Dec 19, 2012
Preposterous wrote:
1) Unlike you - I don't have to "get my dictionary back out" to hold an intelligent conversation. I'm not originally from this area and was properly educated.
2) I have plenty of "original thoughts" that I could express but I'm unsure if you could quite grasp the concepts I would be trying to put forth, seeing as how you are so closed-minded.
3) You are mistaking pride in teachers, administration, and a school system for arrogance. Please note the distinction.
4) I notice you didn't even bother to answer the questions that were posed to you. Possibly because you are unable to come up with a viable excuse for the actions that are taking place?
<quoted text>
There is no need for a viable excuse.( Nice word by the way.) Leaving the district in which you live, to attend another school, is a luxury that has been allowed for some time. GC B.O.E. has the right to remove this luxury if they see fit. Very few school districts would allow this foolishness anyway. Maybe I should put everything in numerical order. You seem to like numbers!! DUST!
hmmm

Ashland, KY

#31 Dec 20, 2012
The Faja wrote:
<quoted text> There is no need for a viable excuse.( Nice word by the way.) Leaving the district in which you live, to attend another school, is a luxury that has been allowed for some time. GC B.O.E. has the right to remove this luxury if they see fit. Very few school districts would allow this foolishness anyway. Maybe I should put everything in numerical order. You seem to like numbers!! DUST!
I agree it is a luxury, but a luxury that is seen all over this state. Actually it is quite common. Its kind of like opening a door for someone. You don't have to do it, but there just usually isnt any reason not too. That being said I think Knox county went through(is still perhaps) this same thing. An agreement was not renewed. It is still in court I think in Frankfort.

In some ways I feel kids need to go to whatever school they live within district. It keeps enrollment levels steady. At the same time I totally understand that some school districts are failing our children. Is Greenup one of them? The state of Kentucky seems to think so. Many parents seem to think so.

But reciprocity is a luxury I don't feel has to be given. The State Departement of Education I believe ruled that in knox county if your student was already going out of district they couldn't force them back into district. I think they said from this point on new students had to live in district.

Its all about money. Which is strange. We home-school now and don't get a penny from the state. We spend hundreds of dollars a year to educate at home and do a better job then many schools getting thousands($8500 per child in KY 2009) of dollars to fail.

Its generally a broken system that was never set up in the Constitution to be done this way. Broken systems will never work. 8500 dollars per kid and we still fail. So a classroom of 25 kids would total over 212,000 dollars to educate. So the government will fail my kid for 8500 but I can teach them for 400 dollars and have them excel. Looks like we need some reform and Money is not the answer.
Preposterous

Ashland, KY

#32 Dec 20, 2012
While I agree that reciprocity is a luxury, I do not feel that Greenup should sign with one and not the other. This is the whole point I am trying to make. Why single out one or two school districts? If they are willing to sign with Ashland and Fairview, why not Raceland or Russell? That is the main question I am asking.
The Faja wrote:
<quoted text> There is no need for a viable excuse.( Nice word by the way.) Leaving the district in which you live, to attend another school, is a luxury that has been allowed for some time. GC B.O.E. has the right to remove this luxury if they see fit. Very few school districts would allow this foolishness anyway. Maybe I should put everything in numerical order. You seem to like numbers!! DUST!
Sheisright

Ironton, OH

#33 Dec 20, 2012
If GC wants to keep there students they should create and foster a great educational and extracurricular environment. This I'm the most obvious ways is not being done. Other than the money I really don't understand what Mr Steve Hall hopes to gain by trying to force caring parents to send there children to a failing system. Maybe Mr Hall should move out of Ashland and into the county so he could best understand how people feel
Sheisright

Ironton, OH

#34 Dec 20, 2012
Special BOE meeting today at 430. Just announced and agreement is on agenda. Mr Hall trying to pull a fast one announcing this late and holding meeting while most at work.
truth

Wagoner, OK

#35 Dec 20, 2012
Not mention taking these kids, that have been at Raceland school for yrs., made friends are doing great and forcing them to switch schools. They have not done anything wrong and its not their fault their house is in G.C.... just saying think about the students and stop worring that people think they are too good to send them to greenp....
wondering

Ashland, KY

#36 Dec 20, 2012
So what happened at the meeting tonight I seem it was packed
wondering

Flatwoods, KY

#37 Dec 20, 2012
I can't believe no one is talking about this what happened tonight at the meeting i didn't get to go
truth

Wagoner, OK

#38 Dec 21, 2012
same topic, nothing new..
pop

United States

#39 Dec 21, 2012
Sheisright wrote:
If GC wants to keep there students they should create and foster a great educational and extracurricular environment. This I'm the most obvious ways is not being done. Other than the money I really don't understand what Mr Steve Hall hopes to gain by trying to force caring parents to send there children to a failing system. Maybe Mr Hall should move out of Ashland and into the county so he could best understand how people feel
Mr. Hall lives in the county, and has for years!
trying

Ashland, KY

#40 Dec 21, 2012
This is to wondering, nothing was signed yet with any school district. The Greenup board of education is considering the following options:

1. Grandfather clause
2. Kids of employees of the school can go anywhere their parents work
3. One to one exchange
4. 25 kids per year, the capacity is 200 kids

All agreements will be the same for all districts. They will monitor addresses and gaurdians. That means they will have to decide if there's more than one child in the household, what if they are all at different schools. Plus people are raising their nieces/nephews and grandkids. The school board is going to set up an agreement for the schools to sign with more than one option. There was more said but I didn't write it down so I don't remember. Something about if the agreement is not signed by the due date which is in the end of January we stay with the current agreement.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greenup Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jamie Woodel Maynard (Jul '09) 2 min Need to find him 40
guys who wear skinny jeans (Mar '17) 1 hr Stallion76 6
The Myth of human made climate change 20 hr freelancehobo 41
permiscious parents Sat Yelp 8
ralphie Dec 15 where's waldo 1
carley coffee (Jun '11) Dec 15 Old Friend 9
Rachel Wireman (Jan '12) Dec 15 Just a thought 13

Greenup Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance