Why shouldnt we transfer are kids fro...

Why shouldnt we transfer are kids from Greenup school district

Posted in the Greenup Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jan 13

wurtland Ky

#1 Jan 28, 2013
I transferred two of my kids from that god awful school district and it was a great decision
Soooo

Ashland, KY

#2 Jan 28, 2013
Jarfly74 wrote:
I transferred two of my kids from that god awful school district and it was a great decision
And you feel the need to tell everyone because.........?
GCHS

Marion, OH

#3 Jan 28, 2013
Jarfly74 wrote:
I transferred two of my kids from that god awful school district and it was a great decision
Obviously, you couldn't provide much direction or support to them at home, considering you don't know the difference between "are" and "our".

When are you folks going to stop blaming the schools and take some responsibility? Everyone gripes about their test scores when every student there knows how 60-70% of the kids make a game out of the scorecards. If their parents reinforced the importance of these and other tests, our scores would more accurately reflect just how strong our school is!
tess

United States

#4 Jan 31, 2013
GCHS wrote:
<quoted text>Obviously, you couldn't provide much direction or support to them at home, considering you don't know the difference between "are" and "our".

When are you folks going to stop blaming the schools and take some responsibility? Everyone gripes about their test scores when every student there knows how 60-70% of the kids make a game out of the scorecards. If their parents reinforced the importance of these and other tests, our scores would more accurately reflect just how strong our school is!
I'm glad someone said it. Teachers and administrators have lost jobs over this type of stuff for years and without parents help it's only gonna keep happening.
Flatwoods Resident

Ironton, OH

#5 Jan 31, 2013
I live in Flatwoods, my kids went to Russell schools. They all got a very good education so I can understand why any parent would prefer Russell or even Raceland. My problem with all this is that ALL you parents who DON'T live in Russell or Flatwoods but send your kids here, while taxpayers like me pay the bill for it. If you want your kids to go to a different school, move and pay your fair share. By Greenup's own numbers, we are paying for enough extra students to make up an entire graduating class. That is ridiculous. Why doesn't Greenup just enforce students going to their own district or charge a fee. Most parents will send them to Greenup, then maybe they can hire some decent staff, get test scores up, and go from there.
Parent

Russell, KY

#6 Jan 31, 2013
My child goes to Greenup, is intelligent, and is getting an excellent education. The reason? Because SHE CARES about her education, and knows that without it, she will have nothing. If more parents emphasized the importance of an education, more kids would do better in school. Not every child in Greenup County school district does poorly. There is an amazing number of "smart" kids in the distict, too. The kids are only going to get out of it what they put into it.
Soooo true

Ashland, KY

#7 Feb 1, 2013
Parent wrote:
My child goes to Greenup, is intelligent, and is getting an excellent education. The reason? Because SHE CARES about her education, and knows that without it, she will have nothing. If more parents emphasized the importance of an education, more kids would do better in school. Not every child in Greenup County school district does poorly. There is an amazing number of "smart" kids in the distict, too. The kids are only going to get out of it what they put into it.
Amen! Look at the number of Greenup graduates that have gone on to become lawyers, doctors, nurses, business owners, etc. Parents must support their kids and kids have to work for it! Trust me, there are many Raceland and Russell graduates without a college degree or a job! It's about time Greenup keeps the money in their district! Now maybe they will have the financial ability to keep good teachers and quit losing them to Russell because Russell can afford to pay them more.
bubba

Elizabethtown, KY

#8 Feb 1, 2013
If Greenup BOE wants kids to stay in their school district, then they should bring the schools up to par instead of forcing parents to send their children to an inferior district. There's a reason the state came in and took control of Greenup Schools....wake up Greenup County parents.....demand better performance from your educators. This system has for too long been seen by Greenup County "leaders" as a place for political appointments and jobs for connected offspring. It should be seen as a place to produce college bound students instead of just good cheerleaders..
Possum

Medina, OH

#9 Feb 2, 2013
Greenup Co is one of the worst schools in the state and thats a fact. I agree with bubba, there is a reason the state came in an took over. Theres a reason all the teachers are getting fired also. Why would parents want their kids going to a school that is ranked so low in everything from acedemics to sports when they can go to a much greater school just a few miles up the road?
Wake -up

Nicholasville, KY

#10 Feb 2, 2013
Test scores??????The problem is not test scores. It is the unqualified school board members. Sub-par teachers locked in place with out of date union contracts. More money spent on the tools of learning without experienced, motivated highly educated teachers to use them . My grandmother taught in this school system for over 50 years. I went to the under funded Greenup Independent school system and learn more than the county system because a education was stressed by parents, teachers, administrators,And buy the students. Yes, the students were motivated by each other to make good grades.You might call it good peer pressure.

And unless we take education out of the "local" hands and put into people's hands that are themselves educated and motivated by something other than seeing what they can squeeze out of the school system( graft,contracts,jobs for relatives ) We need Federal standards for teachers and students. Not more cheerleaders and sports programs.
Lily

Flatwoods, KY

#11 Feb 5, 2013
Wake-up I agree with you.
stayingreenup

Greenup, KY

#12 Feb 5, 2013
If you think your kids are too good to go to Greenup, then MOVE! Apparently, you need to go back to school also. Did you go to Greenup?
I went to Greenup, and I know the difference between "our" and "are". It's people like you that make me sick. You want your kids to go to a better school to get a "good" education, then push them to do better! If your child just isn't getting it at Greenup, they're probably not going to "get it" at Russell or Raceland. It's called LAZINESS!
meee did

Russell, KY

#13 Feb 7, 2013
stayingreenup wrote:
If you think your kids are too good to go to Greenup, then MOVE! Apparently, you need to go back to school also. Did you go to Greenup?
I went to Greenup, and I know the difference between "our" and "are". It's people like you that make me sick. You want your kids to go to a better school to get a "good" education, then push them to do better! If your child just isn't getting it at Greenup, they're probably not going to "get it" at Russell or Raceland. Itme 's called LAZINESS!
Me did go to grenup and me is real smartt..
the law changed

Ashland, KY

#14 Feb 11, 2013
Open enrollment in greenup co is no longer allowed- the kids currently going are grandfathered in, and there are only a few spots left for new kids.
If you want your children to do well in school, it doesn't what district they go to, it is up to you, the parent to take your child's education into your own hands and help them succeed. Russell and Raceland do so well because they have high numbers of parents involved.
Knowledge

Ashland, KY

#15 Feb 11, 2013
If you want to take your kids to another school just run for the school Board and then you can make sure that contracts are signed with the school you want...LOL
Christian Miller

Rush, KY

#16 May 19, 2013
I go to greenup county, have 3.8 GPA and all the things that qualify me to be career and college ready. Our test scores have gone up over the past few years, it has nothing to do with the administration. New students have came into the school, even from Russell and Raceland and have talked about how much better greenup is than their respected schools.
The Dude

Louisville, KY

#17 May 19, 2013
Christian Miller wrote:
I go to greenup county, have 3.8 GPA and all the things that qualify me to be career and college ready. Our test scores have gone up over the past few years, it has nothing to do with the administration. New students have came into the school, even from Russell and Raceland and have talked about how much better greenup is than their respected schools.
Greenup sucks!!!
bullies

Ashland, KY

#18 May 20, 2013
HA! I moved my child out of Raceland and into Greenup. Raceland only cares about your child if they play a sport or you have money and drive a big SUV! My child was bullied to the point where I had to force him to go to school every morning. I brought this t attention and all I got was, "Thank you we will handle it" They didn't. They swept it under the rug to cover their butts! They don't want a bad rep! But I'm here to tell you its a joke! All the parents are stuck up and snotty. And to beat it all most of the moms standing around waiting to get their kids were fat and wearing clothes WAY to tight for them. It was disgusting to look at but impossible to miss. The school is not the problem its the parents not giving a crap. Raceland and Russell just cover up all the BS.
becky ray

Olive Hill, KY

#19 May 21, 2013
bullies wrote:
HA! I moved my child out of Raceland and into Greenup. Raceland only cares about your child if they play a sport or you have money and drive a big SUV! My child was bullied to the point where I had to force him to go to school every morning. I brought this t attention and all I got was, "Thank you we will handle it" They didn't. They swept it under the rug to cover their butts! They don't want a bad rep! But I'm here to tell you its a joke! All the parents are stuck up and snotty. And to beat it all most of the moms standing around waiting to get their kids were fat and wearing clothes WAY to tight for them. It was disgusting to look at but impossible to miss. The school is not the problem its the parents not giving a crap. Raceland and Russell just cover up all the BS.
I heard that about raceland to the way I see it we all put our pants on the same way. I'm no better than anyone and no one is any better than me that's for damn sure.
GCHS GRADUATE

Whitney, TX

#20 May 25, 2013
I graduated from GCHS and have a good paying job, but it wasnt because of the education received there, its because I am a democrat and a part of the "good ole boys club". So if you go to Greenup, just tell them all your a democrat and you dont need an education.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greenup Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ryan biederman 17 hr Ypungmsn 1
Oldtown house fire Wed Vulture nest 2
Missi May Wed school friends 5
Blake Campbell having another baby? Wed Cray 7
Side walk in Lloyd Tue Concerned 5
women who like bi guys Mar 21 Caitlyn Jenner 2
guys who wear skinny jeans Mar 18 Friend of Vics 5

Greenup Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Greenup Mortgages