Greenup Going Wet?

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#221 Nov 1, 2012
Republican Read Newspaper wrote:
Today is the day that several of the citizens of Greenup County will start working on the VOTE NO. When reading the today newspaper well Judge Carpenter and your County Officals will be part of this like it or not. Duh! Bates is your nephew how dumb do you think the people of Greenup County is. NO VOTE on the wet vote and NO VOTE for Judge Carpenter and elected officals in 2014. VOTE NO
What does him being his nephew have anything to do with it?
yup

Springfield, NJ

#222 Nov 1, 2012
Yes
BS Galore

Ashland, KY

#224 Nov 1, 2012
DAILY INDEPENDENT wrote:
November 1, 2012
Greenup will vote on alcohol sales in January
County officials are pledging to remain neutral.
“I’m staying out of it and my court is staying out of it,” Carpenter said.“From here on, it is up to the voters and the public.”
What a load of crap. Why do politicians have such an aversion to telling the truth?
This is exactly what our Judge Executive wanted and now he's made it happen. Right or wrong, bringing alcohol back to Greenup County will be Bobby's legacy in public office.
Legacy

Ashland, KY

#225 Nov 2, 2012
BS Galore wrote:
<quoted text>
What a load of crap. Why do politicians have such an aversion to telling the truth?
This is exactly what our Judge Executive wanted and now he's made it happen. Right or wrong, bringing alcohol back to Greenup County will be Bobby's legacy in public office.
This will be the legacy that will put Judge Carpenter out of a job. Vote NO.
so funny

Ashland, KY

#226 Nov 2, 2012
why are they going to have a special election in jan. for this? it was supposed to be in the election next tues. does bobby and his nephew think we are stupid.. they know it would not be voted in at the elect next wk, because of the turnout for the presidental elec. so they put it in jan. as a lot of people wont come out for just one thing being voted on...only the ones who want it voted in will be there or so they think,, well we have to really get the no votes in there,,,someone said on here they would like to see a red lobster restarant here, that is so hilarious,,, theres not even one in ashland, what makes anyone think they would come to a one-horse town like greenup.
Parent

Ashland, KY

#227 Nov 2, 2012
Im confused. Is this about the town of Greenup or about Greenup County???

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#228 Nov 2, 2012
Parent wrote:
Im confused. Is this about the town of Greenup or about Greenup County???
The county.
Vote YES

Ashland, KY

#229 Nov 2, 2012
I bet you narrow minded do-gooders are the same ones who teach their kids that McDonald's is gourmet food. It would be horrible for your fellow hipocrites to see you and your family enjoying a meal in a restaurant that has a wine list to order from.
the truth

Ashland, KY

#230 Nov 2, 2012
I seriously doubt any place like Red Lobster is going to develop in Greenup Co. What's going to happen is you are going to have little carry outs and bars popping up all over the county because (unfortunately) that's what the culture is like in this county. I doubt if this passes we will ever see the "economical development " that they are talking about. Just a shorter drive to a bar or carry out.
Jay

United States

#231 Nov 2, 2012
the truth wrote:
I seriously doubt any place like Red Lobster is going to develop in Greenup Co. What's going to happen is you are going to have little carry outs and bars popping up all over the county because (unfortunately) that's what the culture is like in this county. I doubt if this passes we will ever see the "economical development " that they are talking about. Just a shorter drive to a bar or carry out.
Go ahead and doubt!!! I do not care, everyone said there was no way it would go to a vote!!! Greenup countians are tired of being left behind!!! That's why 3000 people signed the petition, if people get this ball rolling just sit back and watch, but I bet we never see u post about eating your words!!!!
the truth

Ashland, KY

#232 Nov 2, 2012
Jay wrote:
<quoted text>Go ahead and doubt!!! I do not care, everyone said there was no way it would go to a vote!!! Greenup countians are tired of being left behind!!! That's why 3000 people signed the petition, if people get this ball rolling just sit back and watch, but I bet we never see u post about eating your words!!!!
You are wrong. I could care less. Just sharing my thoughts. And I will vote no but that's the beauty of it. We all get a vote and an opinion. Don't guess we'd see you post about eating YOUR words if it doesn't pass either. If you feel left behind move to a big city. Some off us like small town USA.
Dry

Grand Blanc, MI

#233 Nov 2, 2012
the truth wrote:
I seriously doubt any place like Red Lobster is going to develop in Greenup Co. What's going to happen is you are going to have little carry outs and bars popping up all over the county because (unfortunately) that's what the culture is like in this county. I doubt if this passes we will ever see the "economical development " that they are talking about. Just a shorter drive to a bar or carry out.
I agree if Greenup goes wet all you will see is grocery stores and gas stations carrying beer, it will not create any full time good paying jobs to support a family, if it creates any jobs it will be minimum wage or part time jobs. And does anyone really believe a Red Lobster or an Applebee's will come to Greenup, Greenup doesn't have malls or shopping centers or theaters etc. If they would build it would be in Portsmouth, Ashland or Huntington, get real folks these corporations don't care if Greenup goes wet, you might get some bars, that's it.
Kevin

United States

#234 Nov 3, 2012
Dry wrote:
<quoted text> I agree if Greenup goes wet all you will see is grocery stores and gas stations carrying beer, it will not create any full time good paying jobs to support a family, if it creates any jobs it will be minimum wage or part time jobs. And does anyone really believe a Red Lobster or an Applebee's will come to Greenup, Greenup doesn't have malls or shopping centers or theaters etc. If they would build it would be in Portsmouth, Ashland or
Huntington, get real folks these corporations don't care if Greenup goes wet, you might get some bars, that's it.
Before Ashland went wet they didn't have MALLS and years ago(in the 40's) when Greenup was wet this county had 2 movie theaters. I suggest people research what they are saying instead of just spreading negitive propaganda.
fooey

Catlettsburg, KY

#235 Nov 3, 2012
all going wet will do is....eventually bring in bars around our kids to grow up with, with bars comes the rif raf. with bars brings the street girls. with bars comes the fights and before you know it, we are a trashy little town. Theres not gonna be big business start booming because there are beer sales. Stupid to think it will.It will increase revenue for the county thru fines. Theres gonna be drunks staggering home and drunks on the road. Yep, sounds like a lovely idea to me.

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#236 Nov 3, 2012
fooey wrote:
all going wet will do is....eventually bring in bars around our kids to grow up with, with bars comes the rif raf. with bars brings the street girls. with bars comes the fights and before you know it, we are a trashy little town. Theres not gonna be big business start booming because there are beer sales. Stupid to think it will.It will increase revenue for the county thru fines. Theres gonna be drunks staggering home and drunks on the road. Yep, sounds like a lovely idea to me.
Really? Look at Ashland. They seem to be doing pretty well. Truth is the people that drink in Greenup are going to do it anyway. They just have to drive further. Honestly this will reduce drunk driving.
Parent

Ashland, KY

#237 Nov 3, 2012
Vote YES wrote:
I bet you narrow minded do-gooders are the same ones who teach their kids that McDonald's is gourmet food. It would be horrible for your fellow hipocrites to see you and your family enjoying a meal in a restaurant that has a wine list to order from.
From my experience most of the narrow minded do gooders I know teach their kids that McDonalds is crap.
Parent

Ashland, KY

#238 Nov 3, 2012
Kevin wrote:
<quoted text>
Before Ashland went wet they didn't have MALLS and years ago(in the 40's) when Greenup was wet this county had 2 movie theaters. I suggest people research what they are saying instead of just spreading negitive propaganda.
I seriously doubt that going wet will add a mall to Greenup county. It just doesnst make sense to add a mall here. I take that back, We will NOT get a mall here because we go wet.

The movie theatre thing doesnt work either. Theatres were very plentiful all over back then and most have shut down. It has nothing to do with it.

The only positive for going wet I could see is that Russell near taco bell and Lowes could get a restaurant. Maybe Red Lobster would go there somewhere near IHOP. Other then that it would just add beer to stores and a few bars to increase crime.
Really

Russell, KY

#239 Nov 3, 2012
Kevin wrote:
<quoted text>
Before Ashland went wet they didn't have MALLS and years ago(in the 40's) when Greenup was wet this county had 2 movie theaters. I suggest people research what they are saying instead of just spreading negitive propaganda.
Thats wrong I lived in Ashland when they had the vote, and alcohol DID NOT have a thing to getting malls here or Walmart, Boyd county has a mall and Walmart while they were dry, and now they are wet, and what do you have now the Boyd county mall is all but vacant, and they have but two eateries there that sell alcohol.
Truth

Russell, KY

#240 Nov 3, 2012
Parent wrote:
<quoted text>
I seriously doubt that going wet will add a mall to Greenup county. It just doesnst make sense to add a mall here. I take that back, We will NOT get a mall here because we go wet.
The movie theatre thing doesnt work either. Theatres were very plentiful all over back then and most have shut down. It has nothing to do with it.
The only positive for going wet I could see is that Russell near taco bell and Lowes could get a restaurant. Maybe Red Lobster would go there somewhere near IHOP. Other then that it would just add beer to stores and a few bars to increase crime.
I dont see a mall or major restaurant moving into Greenup county because of them going wet, first of all they do an extended survey (years), and beer alone is not going to bring major jobs or restaurants in Greenup, they are not going to have restaurants that they already have in Portsmouth, Ashland, Huntington.
People that what beer are the ones that want to be able to get it at the closet store.
Kevin

Ardsley, NY

#241 Nov 3, 2012
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats wrong I lived in Ashland when they had the vote, and alcohol DID NOT have a thing to getting malls here or Walmart, Boyd county has a mall and Walmart while they were dry, and now they are wet, and what do you have now the Boyd county mall is all but vacant, and they have but two eateries there that sell alcohol.
This is my point exactly, Boyd county is just NOW able to sell alcohol and until it got alcohol the mall was a ghost town!!! If you think alcohol and surrounding business had nothing to do with that mall In Ashland you need serious mental help. Since the wet law changed in Boyd they've added a super nice theatre and two nice restaurants at that ghost town mall. Thank u for trying to prove me wrong

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greenup Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
labecca murphy 11 hr Cowgirl 6
Looking for stacy carver 14 hr MrBigShot 7
Biggest wh*re in Greenup 16 hr I know 11
Nikki Delong and Danielle Blankenship (Jun '10) Fri Chelly 45
Does anyone know where Cecil Coffe is now?What ... (Sep '09) Fri badman 28
how to get ahold of jessica Mcpeake Fri Harry 1
Ron Horn Dec 8 Jehova 1

Greenup Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Greenup Mortgages