Lloyd-Wurtland Sewer Project
BE HEARD NOW

Jacksonville, FL

#84 Aug 13, 2012
Squeaky Wheel wrote:
To the faithful citizens of Greenup County. Arise and make a difference while time lingers. Can we permit our government to violate the sovereign domiclies of our brethren in Lloyd? Will the kings unjust taxes take the very bread from the mouths of our kindred there. Who's family will be next? History has educated free men that the virus of tyranny must be halted before the disease can multiply and infect beyond recourse.
First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me.
The people maketh and the government taketh away.
btt

United States

#85 Aug 21, 2012
btt
Good Decision

Mooresville, NC

#86 Sep 30, 2012
Lloyd Citizen wrote:
Getting sewer to the High School is one of the reasons for the project.
I still find it hard to believe that certain land owners aren't pushing the sewer project to give their land more commercial value (with appropriate political contributions due of course).
Either way, it's not up to the 520 affected Lloyd homeowners to pay for this project and be held under the gun paying by the City of Wurtland.
We obviously need better representation by the Greenup County Fiscal Court. By reading the last Daily Independent article about the Fiscal Court vote, Tony Quillen has been the only county official trying to help Lloyd.
Did I read in the newspaper that the Greenup City council had not committed to joining the Wurtland sewer system? If so, that's the best decision they've made to protect their citizens. Once they sign a deal with the devil and hook up to Wurtlands sewer they'll be just like Lloyd and lose the ability to make chose. I've been told the state would never let them start up the Greenup City sewer plant again once it's closed down.
Wise Choice

Mooresville, NC

#87 Oct 7, 2012
Concerned American wrote:
You are dreaming if you think you can get by with $65, I have had Wurtland sewer ever since they put it in here about 4 years ago I have not had a bill under since they forced me to hook up to it!
The Mayor and City Council members in Greenup did well by refusing to sign up to this Wurtland Sewer. If they ever do they'll get hammered by Wurtland once the original contract expires and they have to renegotiate the rates. Wurtland can then charge them whatever they want since Greenup will be like Lloyd and can't refuse. It's nice to have a captive audience for extortion.
The Greenup city sewer plant will never start back up if they shut it down to sign with Wurtland.
LLOYD PAYROLL TAX COMING

Ashland, KY

#88 Oct 11, 2012
Endless Possibilities wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you ever think that Bobby Carpenter might be forcing Lloyd to incorporate and form a city or accept annexation by the City of Greenup?
Once the Wurtland sewer is installed in Lloyd the City of Wurtland can raise the sewage treatment rates as much as they want. At that point, the ONLY viable recourse for Lloyd would be to become a city and instantly make the sewer lines property of the City of Lloyd (or City of Greenup if annexed). The new city could then decide what to do with it's sewage (build a new treatment plant or contract with Wurtland at a better rate).
If Lloyd became a new city the Fiscal Court would no longer be responsible for taking care of Lloyd. The county could save a lot of money if they no longer provided services to Lloyd. No more Sheriffs Department calls in Lloyd or School Resource Officer at the Greenup County High School. No more street paving or gravel for the roads. No more snow removal for Lloyd streets in the winter. The City of Lloyd (or Greenup if annexed) would be responsible for all services. Everyone knows that the county does nothing inside the city limits.
Lloyd would also be available for commercial ventures with a city sewer. That would bring in more county taxes. Lloyd could end up with industry or maybe chemical plants like those across the river. Bobby Carpenter was allegedly quoted as saying that Lloyd could have had a Walmart if there was city sewer.
The Lloyd-Wurtland sewer WILL bring low income housing projects to Lloyd. I don't know why our elected officials are so proud of the projects like the new ones in Wurtland. They bring increased crime and decreased property values around them. Our elected officials don't care because they don't have to live around them.
The increased crime WILL force Lloyd to be annexed by the city of Greenup because of the necessary police protection.
When Lloyd joins the city of Greenup the new payroll tax comes with it. That means our school employees WILL be paying this Greenup city payroll tax. So when the employees at GCHS and Greysbranch are paying Greenup City payroll tax they can thank our fiscal court members who have been voting for this sewer. That would be Carpenter, Stevens, and Hieneman. Since the courthouse employees are paying it now the teachers need to pay it too.
Welcome to the Hood

Ashland, KY

#89 Oct 11, 2012
Cahonas wrote:
<quoted text>
This is the little fat judge Carpenter's pipe dream. He has political friends in LLoyd he is tryig to please. Hold on the for the ride of your life if you live in Lloyd....
Let me see if I've got this right.
Our officials have given this Wurtland Sewer most of our county's coal severance funds for many, many years.
The sewer project will cost each Lloyd homeowner thousands of dollars in tap fees, sewer hook up, and mandatory monthly sewer payments.
The Wurtland Lloyd sewer will bring low income housing projects that decrease property values 10%-15% if you're unlucky enough to live within a half mile of one.
Crime rates will increase due to the housing projects influx of residents.
And on top of all this, Lloyd will have a payroll tax when it's forced into annexation by the City of Greenup.

Is it really worth all the bad just to provide sewer so some wealthy land owners can build low income Lloyd housing projects using free government money?
Parent

Ashland, KY

#90 Oct 13, 2012
does anyone know when any kind of council meeting or whatever will be held that might discuss this???
bubba

Rush, KY

#91 Oct 13, 2012
Welcome to the Hood wrote:
<quoted text>
Our officials have given this Wurtland Sewer most of our county's coal severance funds for many, many years.
The sewer project will cost each Lloyd homeowner thousands of dollars in tap fees, sewer hook up, and mandatory monthly sewer payments.
The Wurtland Lloyd sewer will bring low income housing projects that decrease property values 10%-15% if you're unlucky enough to live within a half mile of one.
And on top of all this, Lloyd will have a payroll tax when it's forced into annexation by the City of Greenup.
Is it really worth all the bad just to provide sewer so some wealthy land owners can build low income Lloyd housing projects using free government money?
Yep...That about sums it up.....And the people of Lloyd and Greenup will just sit on their thumbs and let a few wheeler dealers bend them over.
Not Optomistic

Ashland, KY

#92 Oct 14, 2012
Parent wrote:
does anyone know when any kind of council meeting or whatever will be held that might discuss this???
The only official Lloyd Wurtland sewer meetings are when the Greenup County Fiscal Court meets and votes on this ussue. This has been in the works for many years and the Fiscal Court has spent a great deal of public money on it. Their minds are made up on this issue. The only method to change would be to change the makeup of the current Fiscal Court.
Outlander

Athens, OH

#93 Oct 15, 2012
LLOYD PAYROLL TAX COMING wrote:
<quoted text>
The Lloyd-Wurtland sewer WILL bring low income housing projects to Lloyd. I don't know why our elected officials are so proud of the projects like the new ones in Wurtland. They bring increased crime and decreased property values around them. Our elected officials don't care because they don't have to live around them.
The increased crime WILL force Lloyd to be annexed by the city of Greenup because of the necessary police protection.
When Lloyd joins the city of Greenup the new payroll tax comes with it. That means our school employees WILL be paying this Greenup city payroll tax. So when the employees at GCHS and Greysbranch are paying Greenup City payroll tax they can thank our fiscal court members who have been voting for this sewer. That would be Carpenter, Stevens, and Hieneman. Since the courthouse employees are paying it now the teachers need to pay it too.
Do not forget Tony Quillen voted for it also.
Monkey Business

Ashland, KY

#94 Oct 15, 2012
Outlander wrote:
<quoted text>
Do not forget Tony Quillen voted for it also.
The Lloyd sewer project was started many years ago and there has been more than one fiscal court vote on it. I don't know how the earlier votes were case. I really would like to know. Please post that info if you have it.
With that said, Tony Quillen actually voted against preceeding with the Lloyd sewer in the last fiscal court on the issue. As published in the news paper, Tony said the people in Lloyd wanted a voice and weren't getting it. Tony was the only fiscal court member who supported Lloyd. Every other member voted against Lloyd.
I personally want Quillen to make a Fiscal Court motion that removes the county's mandatory requirement for sewer hook up in Lloyd. He probably won't do it because of pressure from the other fiscal court members. It wouldn't pass anyway because Carpenter and Hieneman would vote against it, and probably Stevens too. They all voted against the people in Lloyd last time. At least Lloyd would get another chance to see who is against us and who is for us.
If Lloyd sewer hook up is voluntary it wouldn't be such a scandal. It will still bring low income public housing projects to Lloyd that increase crime and lower property values. At least they wouldn't be extorting thousands of dollars in sewer fees from each homeowner in Lloyd.
PLAIN TRUTH

Ashland, KY

#95 Oct 27, 2012
Welcome to the Hood wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct. Too bad other voters don't see it.
Lloyd has urine running down its back and public officials are calling it rain.
GC NEWS

Ashland, KY

#96 Nov 16, 2012
Good Decision wrote:
<quoted text>
Did I read in the newspaper that the Greenup City council had not committed to joining the Wurtland sewer system? If so, that's the best decision they've made to protect their citizens. Once they sign a deal with the devil and hook up to Wurtlands sewer they'll be just like Lloyd and lose the ability to make chose. I've been told the state would never let them start up the Greenup City sewer plant again once it's closed down.
The front page story of this weeks Greenup County News reported on the last fiscal court meeting. It said the fiscal court signed paperwork for a sewer project but didn't give details. Does anybody know anything?
Coffin Nail 4 Lloyd

Ashland, KY

#98 Nov 28, 2012
Daily Independent wrote:
November 28, 2012
Greenup OKs sewer project
CARRIE STAMBAUGH CNHI News Service

The 29-page ordinance, which Wurtland approved earlier this month, is the result of months of negotiations between the two cities. It establishes a board of directors with members from both cities and the county, outlines initial sewer rates, how future rates are to be determined as well as steps that will be taken should any conflict arise over rate increases.
Wurtland's 1,000 residents have their council watching out for them with over 1.5 million in free grant money and a county fiscal court giving them control of county public services.
Greenup's 1,200 residents have a council that's trying to look out for them (although their signing a deal with the devil that can't be reversed).
Lloyd's 520 homes (2,000 residents?) get the shaft and have nobody looking out for them. The fiscal court should have but they threw Lloyd to the wolves in this back door deal.
The citizens of Lloyd will be forced to consider annexation by Greenup if they expect to have any representation from elected officials.
wannanknow

Ashland, KY

#99 Nov 29, 2012
Coffin Nail 4 Lloyd wrote:
<quoted text>
Wurtland's 1,000 residents have their council watching out for them with over 1.5 million in free grant money and a county fiscal court giving them control of county public services.
Greenup's 1,200 residents have a council that's trying to look out for them (although their signing a deal with the devil that can't be reversed).
Lloyd's 520 homes (2,000 residents?) get the shaft and have nobody looking out for them. The fiscal court should have but they threw Lloyd to the wolves in this back door deal.
The citizens of Lloyd will be forced to consider annexation by Greenup if they expect to have any representation from elected officials.
Lloyd citizens shouldn't make so much hay about Greenup annexing them, Look at the bright side of it, lloyd has more citizens than Greenup has so the next mayor and council would more likely come from Lloyd, Now thats change we all believe in
2 Evil

Richmond, KY

#100 Nov 29, 2012
wannanknow wrote:
<quoted text>Lloyd citizens shouldn't make so much hay about Greenup annexing them, Look at the bright side of it, lloyd has more citizens than Greenup has so the next mayor and council would more likely come from Lloyd, Now thats change we all believe in
I agree that Lloyd seeking Greenup annexation is better than being controlled by Wurtland. At least Lloyd could then vote for city officials in Greenup, something that can never happen wih Wurtland in charge. It's still bad to be forced to choose the lesser of two evils.
ITS ON

Ashland, KY

#101 Dec 17, 2012
Affected Resident wrote:
A county sewer district would do little or nothing to protect the residents of Lloyd. Even if a county sewer district was formed for Lloyd (as promised), the members would be appointed by Bobby Carpenter. There's nothing to prevent him from appointing board members like himself that were pro-Wurtland Sewer and against the residents of Lloyd?
It's going to take a strong community effort by Lloyd citizens to make a difference.
The first step is to demand that current Fiscal Court members change the county ordinance that requires homeowners to hook up to this sewer. It hasn't been enforced fairly against everyone else in the county anyway.
You can be certain to expect discrimination in strong enforcement if you live in Lloyd.

Let them spend grant money and play sewer all they want as long as they don't force Lloyd residents to hand over to $1,000 tap fee to Wurtland and pay a huge monthly bill to fund this ridiculous project.
The first construction phase of the sewer will begin soon. It will got to Greenup. The second phase will be later.
Now is the time to convince fiscal court members to amend the ordinance to allow Lloyd homeowners a CHOICE of accepting or declining the sewer as applicable on a case per case basis.
Julius

Athens, OH

#102 Jan 1, 2013
ITS ON wrote:
<quoted text>
The first construction phase of the sewer will begin soon. It will got to Greenup. The second phase will be later.
Now is the time to convince fiscal court members to amend the ordinance to allow Lloyd homeowners a CHOICE of accepting or declining the sewer as applicable on a case per case basis.
Bobby and his hand picked Boyz will never let u have a choice Lloyd. U r SCREWED!
wannanknow

Russell, KY

#103 Jan 2, 2013
ITS ON wrote:
<quoted text>
If you can get that accomplished see if you can get our school taxes back since our kids are grown and don't go there anymore
Shame On Them

Mooresville, NC

#104 Jan 19, 2013
LLOYD PAYROLL TAX COMING wrote:
<quoted text>
Look at the housing project in Wurtland they were so proud of. Lloyd will have more of these "Bruce Apartment" housing projects. Wurtland's was built with tax money and now someone is getting rich off it. Lloyd will be the same way, tax payer funded housing projects with a county mandated Lloyd homeowner funded sewer project.
Talk about corruption. We have the best government that money can buy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greenup Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jesse Thacker 2 hr RHS Classmate of 08 1
Rhoden Murders: Why Isn't Anyone Talking? 2 hr Guest79 97
brickyard going on strike (Feb '16) 4 hr Well 55
Wyatt Ratliff (Dec '15) 11 hr GC 99
labecca murphy 15 hr dime 5
Andrea Drown (Mar '15) 19 hr gigoe 18
the city of raceland (Mar '15) Fri haha 2

Greenup Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance