Posted in the Greenup Forum

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Paul Revere

Roscoe, PA

#1 Jan 29, 2012
$1,000.00 tap fees,
monthly sewer bills estimated up to $65....to be raised anytime the city of Wurtland feels like it,
no representation by Lloyd residents since they can't vote for Wurtland mayor or council,
Greenup County Fiscal Court forcing Lloyd residents to use this service.
Am I missing something or is this messed up?
I can see this if someone needs it....but not if you've followed the law and spent several thousand dollars for your current septic system that was legally approved and works just fine.
In this economy, why would elected officials expect Lloyd citizens to hand over part of their family budgets to the city of Wurtland?
How many households can afford to make such huge donations to this cause?
Concerned American

South Point, OH

#2 Jan 29, 2012
You are dreaming if you think you can get by with $65, I have had Wurtland sewer ever since they put it in here about 4 years ago I have not had a bill under $100 since they forced me to hook up to it!
lloyd

Flatwoods, KY

#3 Jan 29, 2012
Well lets get someone to run for mayor in Lloyd!
Cahonas

Rush, KY

#4 Jan 30, 2012
Paul Revere wrote:
$1,000.00 tap fees,
monthly sewer bills estimated up to $65....to be raised anytime the city of Wurtland feels like it,
no representation by Lloyd residents since they can't vote for Wurtland mayor or council,
Greenup County Fiscal Court forcing Lloyd residents to use this service.
Am I missing something or is this messed up?
I can see this if someone needs it....but not if you've followed the law and spent several thousand dollars for your current septic system that was legally approved and works just fine.
In this economy, why would elected officials expect Lloyd citizens to hand over part of their family budgets to the city of Wurtland?
How many households can afford to make such huge donations to this cause?
This is the little fat judge Carpenter's pipe dream. He has political friends in LLoyd he is tryig to please. Hold on the for the ride of your life if you live in Lloyd....
Lloyd Citizen

Richmond, KY

#5 Jan 30, 2012
Getting sewer to the High School is one of the reasons for the project.
I still find it hard to believe that certain land owners aren't pushing the sewer project to give their land more commercial value (with appropriate political contributions due of course).
Either way, it's not up to the 520 affected Lloyd homeowners to pay for this project and be held under the gun paying by the City of Wurtland.
We obviously need better representation by the Greenup County Fiscal Court. By reading the last Daily Independent article about the Fiscal Court vote, Tony Quillen has been the only county official trying to help Lloyd.
The Daily Inependent

Richmond, KY

#7 Jan 31, 2012
Daily Independent (Ashland, KY)
April 18, 2008
Right direction — 04/21/08

Forming sanitation district is the best approach in Greenup

Greenup County FiscaGreenup County Fiscal Court members would be wise to heed the advisBryan Kirby e of a consultant by forming a sanitation district to oversee the expansion of sewer lines in the county. The district would be governed by commissioners appointed by the fiscal court from all parts of the district.
Just as important, the commissioners for the sanitation district would have only one task: Improving sewer services. They would have the time needed to devote to that task and could make themselves experts on sewer lines and sewer rates.
Bryan KIrby, who is with Community and Economic Development Associates in Richmond, told the fiscal court that formation of the sanitation district and appointment of the commissioners would assure residents of the district fair representation and give them a voice in such matters as setting rates.
Plans call for running a sewer main from Wurtland’s modern wastewater treatment plant — which was largely funded by Sun Chemical and built to treat waste produced at its pigment plant in Wurtland — to Greenup. That would allow Greenup to mothball its old and inadequate sewage treatment plant. The Wurtland plant has been designated as a regional provider by the state Division of Water.
While the main goal of the line between Greenup and Wurtland is to allow Greenup to shut down its treatment plant, the new line would have the added benefit of enabling the expansion of sewer service to unincorporated parts of Greenup County. Plans call for sewer lines to eventually be extended to serve Lloyd, Smiths Branch and beyond.
The ideal way to accomplish such an expansion is to create a sanitation district. In hindsight, it would have been wiser for Boyd County Fiscal Court to assign the task of extending sewer lines along U.S. 60 either through the expansion of an existing sanitation district or the creation of a new one. If it had done so, perhaps some of the early problems with the new sewer lines could have been avoided. Boyd County Fiscal Court now is negotiating with members of an existing sanitation district with an eye toward merging.
With all the other projects the county has going on, members of Boyd County Fiscal Court soon discovered they lacked both the time and the expertise to oversee sewer service. Boyd Judge-Eexcutive William “Bud” Stevens would like to get the county out of the sewer business. It is best to turn those tasks over to a sanitation district.
Greenup County Judge-Executive Bobby Carpenter told Kirby members of the fiscal court were receptive to creating a sanitation district to oversee the project. While many details still need to be worked out before such a district is created, it definitely is the right way to go.

The above article was probably due to the Wurtland-Lloyd Sewer meeting at the Greenup County High School when Judge-Executive Bobby Carpenter PROMISED to form a county sewer district for Lloyd, and PROMISED to appoint Lloyd citizens (required by law anyway) on this board to watch out for the interests of Lloyd.
Affected Resident

Roscoe, PA

#8 Jan 31, 2012
A county sewer district would do little or nothing to protect the residents of Lloyd. Even if a county sewer district was formed for Lloyd (as promised), the members would be appointed by Bobby Carpenter. There's nothing to prevent him from appointing board members like himself that were pro-Wurtland Sewer and against the residents of Lloyd?
It's going to take a strong community effort by Lloyd citizens to make a difference.
The first step is to demand that current Fiscal Court members change the county ordinance that requires homeowners to hook up to this sewer. It hasn't been enforced fairly against everyone else in the county anyway.
You can be certain to expect discrimination in strong enforcement if you live in Lloyd.
Let them spend grant money and play sewer all they want as long as they don't force Lloyd residents to hand over to $1,000 tap fee to Wurtland and pay a huge monthly bill to fund this ridiculous project.
Greenup County News-Times

Roscoe, PA

#9 Jan 31, 2012
Article from the Greenup County News-Times

December 15, 2011

First Step Taken Towards Sewer Commission

GREENUP-The Greenup County Fiscal Court took a preliminary step toward setting a sewer authority for Wurtland, Greenup, and Lloyd during it's regular meeting on Tuesday, Dec. 13.
Commissioners Mike Hieneman and Billy Ray Stevens voted yes on a motion to establish a sewer commission for the three communities while Tony Quillen voted no.
"The people of Lloyd want a say in what happens," he (Quillen) said. "I can't vote for this until I know that they will have that say."
Judge Executive Bobby Carpenter said that a proposed sewer rate of $3.09 had been worked out, and that it was one of the lowest in the state.
He stressed that creating a commission was a very preliminary step toward providing service to homes at Lloyd. Plans call for two parallel lines to be laid from the sewer plant at Wurtland to the end of the Greenup service area lines to Greenup will be hooked up first.
The city of Greenup became a partner in the project in part to help provide enough customers for the project. The cost of partnering is roughly about the same as expected repairs to the city's present sewer plant.

*The article continues with other non-sewer related county business.
No Gsetapo 4 Me

Roscoe, PA

#10 Jan 31, 2012
Greenup County News-Times wrote:
December 15, 2011
GREENUP-The Greenup County Fiscal Court took a preliminary step toward setting a sewer authority for Wurtland, Greenup, and Lloyd during it's regular meeting on Tuesday, Dec. 13.
Commissioners Mike Hieneman and Billy Ray Stevens voted yes on a motion to establish a sewer commission for the three communities while Tony Quillen voted no.
"The people of Lloyd want a say in what happens," he (Quillen) said. "I can't vote for this until I know that they will have that say."
Judge Executive Bobby Carpenter said that a proposed sewer rate of $3.09 had been worked out, and that it was one of the lowest in the state.
He stressed that creating a commission was a very preliminary step toward providing service to homes at Lloyd. Plans call for two parallel lines to be laid from the sewer plant at Wurtland to the end of the Greenup service area lines to Greenup will be hooked up first.
The city of Greenup became a partner in the project in part to help provide enough customers for the project. The cost of partnering is roughly about the same as expected repairs to the city's present sewer plant.
I find it ironic that Bobby Carpenter's quote said they're "providing a service to homes at Lloyd".
I guess it does sound a better than, "Herr Comrade, we're demanding $1,000 and a monthly fee from your family or we'll be forced to condemn your property, shut off your utilities, and drag you into District Court for the sewer ordinance violation. If that doesn't make you collaborate we might have to put you in the gulag for contempt of court".
Endless Possibilities

Roscoe, PA

#11 Jan 31, 2012
lloyd wrote:
Well lets get someone to run for mayor in Lloyd!
Did you ever think that Bobby Carpenter might be forcing Lloyd to incorporate and form a city or accept annexation by the City of Greenup?
Once the Wurtland sewer is installed in Lloyd the City of Wurtland can raise the sewage treatment rates as much as they want. At that point, the ONLY viable recourse for Lloyd would be to become a city and instantly make the sewer lines property of the City of Lloyd (or City of Greenup if annexed). The new city could then decide what to do with it's sewage (build a new treatment plant or contract with Wurtland at a better rate).
If Lloyd became a new city the Fiscal Court would no longer be responsible for taking care of Lloyd. The county could save a lot of money if they no longer provided services to Lloyd. No more Sheriffs Department calls in Lloyd or School Resource Officer at the Greenup County High School. No more street paving or gravel for the roads. No more snow removal for Lloyd streets in the winter. The City of Lloyd (or Greenup if annexed) would be responsible for all services. Everyone knows that the county does nothing inside the city limits.
Lloyd would also be available for commercial ventures with a city sewer. That would bring in more county taxes. Lloyd could end up with industry or maybe chemical plants like those across the river. Bobby Carpenter was allegedly quoted as saying that Lloyd could have had a Walmart if there was city sewer.
Cash Cow

Roscoe, PA

#12 Jan 31, 2012
Concerned American wrote:
You are dreaming if you think you can get by with $65, I have had Wurtland sewer ever since they put it in here about 4 years ago I have not had a bill under $100 since they forced me to hook up to it!
This sewer project will be a profit windfall for the City of Wurtland. It's been funded by grant money that should have been used for legitimate projects to benefit the county. The Fiscal Court even gave them some funds to help out.
Wurtland is a sixth class city, the lowest class there is in Kentucky. They have one police officer. Kentucky law limits police powers to inside the city limits for sixth class city police departments. I don't mean to bash Wurtland but it's ludicrous to put them in charge of a community the size of Lloyd that has twice as many residents as Wurtland. Wurtland has failed miserably with everything on their plate now, they don't need more. The last thing needed was for the Fiscal Court to give Wurtland authority over Lloyd.
Big Daddy Rat

Richmond, KY

#13 Jan 31, 2012
To the citizenry or Lloyd,
As your governmental leader, I know what's best for you! It has been brought to my attention that you don't like the kingdom's official ordinance mandating your hook up to my sewer? I now have a new proclamation for you. Effective immediately, daily floggings will commence for all subjects of Lloyd. Resistance is futile!
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

With kind regards,
Big Daddy Rat
bubba

Wellington, TX

#14 Jan 31, 2012
It's all about getting sewer to Lloyd so Bobby's buddys can get Government money to build low rent housing in Lloyd and have a cash cow for years to come. They can't build them without sewers and they are trying to get them any way they can. The school excuse is really handy, but money is the driving force. Just wait and see how the property value goes down on the houses near these housing "projects". Isn't it funny how the people that build low rent housing never build them near where they live.....wonder why? I'm glad I live away from Lloyd.
Good Point

Richmond, KY

#15 Feb 1, 2012
bubba wrote:
It's all about getting sewer to Lloyd so Bobby's buddys can get Government money to build low rent housing in Lloyd and have a cash cow for years to come. They can't build them without sewers and they are trying to get them any way they can. The school excuse is really handy, but money is the driving force. Just wait and see how the property value goes down on the houses near these housing "projects". Isn't it funny how the people that build low rent housing never build them near where they live.....wonder why? I'm glad I live away from Lloyd.
That's a good point that others have also mentioned. Right now a regular size building lot in Lloyd will only support a septic system for a single family dwelling. The county doesn't have restricted residential building zones, only cities have them. Lloyd is wide open for commercial construction inside residential neighborhoods. With the new sewer and no code restrictions, a 4 unit apartment building will easily fit on a normal residential lot in any Lloyd neighborhood. I've heard that one out of state land owner (Mr. Maynard) has said he's waiting on sewer to put apartments on his property near the Marathon station. He could easily fit 20 or more apartments there with the new Wurtland sewer sytem and no septic system issues to deal with.
Unfortunately, there's no market for regular rental property with the current economy. The real money is all in low income housing. It's a well known fact that any commercial industry or apartment housing project near a residence will lower the property value nearby.
More population in housing projects also equal more crime and calls for emergency services. The numbers simply don't lie. That's another reason the Wurtland sewer will force Lloyd to incorporate into a city or be annexed by the City of Greenup. Full time police protection will be an absolute must have item with the influx of people. The Sheriffs Department couldn't handle the call volume even if they wanted to. Our county still has many times when there's no KSP on duty and also no deputy sheriff available. Just ask around if you don't believe it.
Go Tony

Richmond, KY

#16 Feb 1, 2012
Greenup County News-Times wrote:
December 15, 2011
Way to go Tony Q. Many thanks from the citizens of Lloyd. We truely appreciate you standing up for us and keeping your word against a tidal wave of political pressure to the contrary.
Squeaky Wheel

Roscoe, PA

#17 Feb 1, 2012
To the faithful citizens of Greenup County. Arise and make a difference while time lingers. Can we permit our government to violate the sovereign domiclies of our brethren in Lloyd? Will the kings unjust taxes take the very bread from the mouths of our kindred there. Who's family will be next? History has educated free men that the virus of tyranny must be halted before the disease can multiply and infect beyond recourse.

First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me.
Patrick Henry

Roscoe, PA

#18 Feb 1, 2012
The typical residence in Lloyd is situated on a piece of property larger than an average city lot. A smaller city lot might require sewage but the larger Lloyd lot allows ample room for a proper septic system. Lloyd homeowners have each paid thousands and thousands of dollars to get approved for a permit and then have the septic system installed by a contractor licensed by the state.

It's simply wrong for our Fiscal Court to now demand a one thousand sewer tap fee from each homeowner and then force them to pay a large monthly bill to Wurtland for a sewer they don't want or need. In addition to this is the fifteen hundred dollar fee the homeowner will pay a licensed plumber to connect the sewer line to the residence.

How many Greenup County families are currently scraping to get by in this economy? Could your family afford it if an official knocked at your door tomorrow and demanded payment of this magnitude? Someone who has the legal authority to condemn your property, shut off utilities, place a lein on it, foreclose and sell your residence at a courthouse auction.

Even worse, you'd be in violation of a county ordinance and could be fined in District Court, with incarceration as a possible result of non-payment or contempt. Read the District Court cases in your local newspaper and see how many people are jailed weekly for contempt of court or non-payment of fines. I know this sounds farfetched but the current laws permit all of this.

I recall the Greenup County Fiscal Court debate about the 911 Center tax. They passed the $2.50 monthly telephone tax anyway but not before Commissioner Jim Womack stated the following: I'm concerned that this tax will be taking a loaf of bread from needy families. May God bless Mr. Womack for the sincere concern he had for the people he took an oath to look out for.

It's somewhat ironic that Mr. Womack resides in Lloyd and will be directly affected by this sewer project. His rear property line join Mr. Maynards site of the projected apartment complex next to Marathon. Mr. Maynard has been reported to be waiting for the sewer lines so his crews can start construction. Without question, Mr. Womack's residence will be devalued by this apartment complex in his back yard.

If fulfilled, will this forced Lloyd-Wurtland sewer project take that loaf of bread from needy families? The Greenup County Fiscal Court has already made the decision for these needy families.

The citzens of Greenup County deserve better from our elected officials. At one time, they were expected to be above reproach. Sadly, you no longer have to look towards Frankfort or Washington, D.C. to view political misdeeds. What was considered shameful in times past is too often found acceptable in the present. Pardon the pun, but the Lloyd-Wurtland sewer project doesn't pass the smell test.
concerned 4 our county

Richmond, KY

#19 Feb 2, 2012
Patrick Henry wrote:
The typical residence in Lloyd is situated on a piece of property larger than an average city lot. A smaller city lot might require sewage but the larger Lloyd lot allows ample room for a proper septic system. Lloyd homeowners have each paid thousands and thousands of dollars to get approved for a permit and then have the septic system installed by a contractor licensed by the state.
It's simply wrong for our Fiscal Court to now demand a one thousand sewer tap fee from each homeowner and then force them to pay a large monthly bill to Wurtland for a sewer they don't want or need. In addition to this is the fifteen hundred dollar fee the homeowner will pay a licensed plumber to connect the sewer line to the residence.
How many Greenup County families are currently scraping to get by in this economy? Could your family afford it if an official knocked at your door tomorrow and demanded payment of this magnitude? Someone who has the legal authority to condemn your property, shut off utilities, place a lein on it, foreclose and sell your residence at a courthouse auction.
Even worse, you'd be in violation of a county ordinance and could be fined in District Court, with incarceration as a possible result of non-payment or contempt. Read the District Court cases in your local newspaper and see how many people are jailed weekly for contempt of court or non-payment of fines. I know this sounds farfetched but the current laws permit all of this.
I recall the Greenup County Fiscal Court debate about the 911 Center tax. They passed the $2.50 monthly telephone tax anyway but not before Commissioner Jim Womack stated the following: I'm concerned that this tax will be taking a loaf of bread from needy families. May God bless Mr. Womack for the sincere concern he had for the people he took an oath to look out for.
It's somewhat ironic that Mr. Womack resides in Lloyd and will be directly affected by this sewer project. His rear property line join Mr. Maynards site of the projected apartment complex next to Marathon. Mr. Maynard has been reported to be waiting for the sewer lines so his crews can start construction. Without question, Mr. Womack's residence will be devalued by this apartment complex in his back yard.
If fulfilled, will this forced Lloyd-Wurtland sewer project take that loaf of bread from needy families? The Greenup County Fiscal Court has already made the decision for these needy families.
The citzens of Greenup County deserve better from our elected officials. At one time, they were expected to be above reproach. Sadly, you no longer have to look towards Frankfort or Washington, D.C. to view political misdeeds. What was considered shameful in times past is too often found acceptable in the present. Pardon the pun, but the Lloyd-Wurtland sewer project doesn't pass the smell test.
Perhaps you should consider running for public office. The needs of our residents have been falling on the deaf ears of fiscal court officials.
Godzilla

Ashland, KY

#20 Feb 2, 2012
You can bet, Carpenter and his cronies will force you to get sewer in Lloyd. He controls Wurtland Council too.
Bubba

Ashland, KY

#21 Feb 2, 2012
If this doesn't stink of "kick backs" nothing does. You can never make me believe that the players in this drama are trying to do this out of the goodness in their hearts and concern for the septic harmony of Lloyd. I'll bet they really lose sleep over Lloyd's citizen's lack of sewers and it's impact on their daily lives.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greenup Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rhoden Murders: Why Isn't Anyone Talking? 5 min Native 87
Councilman arrested 1 hr I knew he would 15
brickyard going on strike (Feb '16) 6 hr Well 51
Biggest wh*re in Greenup 6 hr chance 10
stacy thompson (Jul '11) Wed InfoBot 64
sammy bertram (May '11) Nov 28 sammys witness 99
losers on disability (Feb '10) Nov 28 TipsyFromCentralC... 49

Greenup Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance