City of Greenup going to be without police protection

Posted in the Greenup Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
curious

Elizabethtown, KY

#1 Jan 27, 2010
Has anyone else heard that the Greenup Volunteer Firemen/City of Greenup council members(that are on both) are wanting to take the money that pays the police department and city clerk out of the general fund and into the fire department fund so therefore there wouldn't be any money to pay for police protection. Mark Harris who is on the city council and fire department was the person who brought this up and Jim Doran and Lundy Meadows(running for mayor) and Marty Stevens are also for this crazy motion. So I am asking all of you City of Greenup residents please attend the next council meeting which is the 2nd Tuesday in Feb. @ 6pm. I for one do not want to be without police protection. Maybe we need to pass out fliers to all businesses and going door to door with this crazy idea.
Patty

Portsmouth, OH

#2 Jan 27, 2010
Dennis, won't u put your name on your posts. Grow some nuts for once.
curious

Elizabethtown, KY

#3 Jan 27, 2010
Patty wrote:
Dennis, won't u put your name on your posts. Grow some nuts for once.
Since I'm a female i would look funny with nuts.
East Main

Ashland, KY

#4 Jan 27, 2010
I live in the city and i dont know if this is true but if it is i wiil be there. All i ever here is people complaining about are police so far to me they are doing there job. If every time the fire dept. is used is when the siren goes off that what once or twiced every week. We use are police force everyday so i think we need them more. I heard that that Wurtland fire dept. is on automatic murtal aid for the fire why is that dont we have a good fire dept.That is what i am worried about.
welcome to south shore

Ashland, KY

#5 Jan 27, 2010
without the police we are gonna be 10x worse than south shore. greenup dont want to call the police and wait 45 minutes for a deputy or trooper to get to them. why does the fire dept need all that money anyway. they going full time? and i thought the FD council members could not vote on FD issues. oh wait this is greenup. they will just get that law changed too. now one of them is running for mayor. STAND UP ANF FIGHT this greenup. the fire dept has been given too much power and i think they took it too far last night. i'd bet the attorney generals office will have to get involved in this becuase it is a huge ethics violation and the citizens are not gonna stand for it. this town is like mayberry because we have a police force. take that away and this town is gonna be taken over by the criminals. not only will this not happen but i bet a few council members are gonna go bye bye. STAND UP GREENUP!!!!
OMG

Ashland, KY

#6 Jan 27, 2010
what does the FD want. do they want to run the city? ever since charlie died and donna has been holding them accountable they have turned into a bunch of cry babies. she had to get like a warrant once to get their budget report when the city was audited. they had the law changed so they could be on council and i thought they could not vote on anything to do with the fire department? i agree with the above post about how often we use our FD versus how much we use our PD. i do not want to lose our police and haveto count on the sheriff or ksp. our guys are right there when you call them and they do a great job. mark harris is crazy! what do they need that big of a budget for? maybe if they would quit attacking donna every chance they get she would take better care of them? they already have better equipment than any other FD in the county. if i had an employee (i mean volunteer) that constantly spread lies about me i damn sure would not give them anything. hopefully the new chief will talk some since into these guys. all we have to do is get this out there for the public to know and it will be shot down. lets get rid of our police so our FD can buy a new couch to sit on or a new computer to watch youtube videos on. they can buy new bunker gear and helmets that they can use when they go on a false alarm or a burnt out fuse that is smoking. that wont stop super quick from getting robbed or my house from getting broke into but at least the fire department will stop crying. this is outrageous and it is UNETHICAL and ILLEGAL!!! there "was" a law that the FD could not be on the council for a reason and this is one big prime example. wake up greenup! lets ALL call the attorney general on this blatant violation.
Portsmouth

United States

#7 Jan 27, 2010
For one the police is never in Greenup they are everywhere but Greenup. I hope none of the people on here houses catch fire because they will fill alot different about these fireman. They are volunteers and risk their lives when they go on a call wheter it be a car wreck or a fire. I don't know about any of you but I wouldn't want any of my family members going on a fire call without the correct equipment that they need. I do believe we the police dept and the fire dept. Just remember these are volunteers and they put alot of their time and their own money into the fire dept.
Question

Scottdale, PA

#8 Jan 27, 2010
Why does Wurtland and Argillite have new Fire Dept buildings and the City of Greenup doesn't. I can tell you why, they get the money that the county put on property taxes that is labeled "Fire District". The City of Greenup collects the taxes for themselves but then they turn around a apporpriate the money where ever they please. The taxes the city collects from their residents should be equal to what the county collects for the fire districts in the county and ALL of that money should go to the fire department. Turn the money over to the fire departments like the county does and let the fire department handle it. Argillite manages to keep two station houses, both in working order and available to the communtiy. The mayor would rather have the money go toward updating the city building. She gave it a new facelift with all the oak that she purchased from Charlie Osburn, now she is putting up a new door and putting a kitchen in the meeting room. Just wondering will this room be open to the public since she spent city money?
This is funny

Ashland, KY

#9 Jan 27, 2010
Only three words can describe this thread:

IT"S BULL SHIT
curious

Elizabethtown, KY

#10 Jan 27, 2010
Portsmouth wrote:
For one the police is never in Greenup they are everywhere but Greenup. I hope none of the people on here houses catch fire because they will fill alot different about these fireman. They are volunteers and risk their lives when they go on a call wheter it be a car wreck or a fire. I don't know about any of you but I wouldn't want any of my family members going on a fire call without the correct equipment that they need. I do believe we the police dept and the fire dept. Just remember these are volunteers and they put alot of their time and their own money into the fire dept.
You know on other posts everyone is complaining about the officers being at goodwill(which is in the city) being at the city building (which is in the city) and sitting at their house ( which is in the city) now you are on here saying they are never in the city so someone needs to make up their minds weather or not they are in the city. Every time one of these officers are called to a call they are there within minutes. And YES Greenup does need a police department and a fire department so why can't they be adults (like they are) and work together instead of working against each other. Seems to me there are alot of immature people on the departments. So grow up and do what you are supposed to be doing. I think if they get rid of the police department then the "volunteer" firemen shouldnt get paid once a year either. Since they are only volunteering their time. But hey this is only my opinion.
This is funny

Ashland, KY

#11 Jan 27, 2010
Like I said this is all BULL SHIT

Don't believe it.

It will drive you NUTS
GO CATS

Greenup, KY

#12 Jan 27, 2010
I would think with all of the tax money paid Greenup could have police and fire. Greenup is not big enough to pay firefighters. If smaller towns can have enough volunteers Greenup should also. Sounds like some "volunteers want to get paid". If so, go to a bigger city and become a paid fireman. WE NEED POLICE! More stuff gets stolen, robbed, damaged, wrecked, and assaulted than set on fire.
gadgetd69

AOL

#13 Jan 27, 2010
Portsmouth wrote:
your stupid steve wadell lives in greenup and sets right on 23 everynight in the 45 zone anyone in greenup needs the police he'll be right there.
hahaha

Ashland, KY

#14 Jan 27, 2010
gadgetd69 wrote:
<quoted text>your stupid steve wadell lives in greenup and sets right on 23 everynight in the 45 zone anyone in greenup needs the police he'll be right there.
Here we go STEVE. Everyone if you want to know that it is Steve he always writes his name with one d (Wadell) You are a idiot
Barnbum

Brooklyn, NY

#15 Jan 27, 2010
I'm with u 'portsmouth' I see them 'speeding' into town at quitting times. Between 5 & 6am this morning, I was coming home from work & a cop came buzzing up beside me. We had a red light at raceland super quik. The light changed & he took off. I got up to 68mph & he was blowing me away. It was hard to keep my eye on him! He merged toward town. Most of our cops in this area think the laws don't apply to them!
Portsmouth wrote:
For one the police is never in Greenup they are everywhere but Greenup. I hope none of the people on here houses catch fire because they will fill alot different about these fireman. They are volunteers and risk their lives when they go on a call wheter it be a car wreck or a fire. I don't know about any of you but I wouldn't want any of my family members going on a fire call without the correct
equipment that they need. I do believe we the police dept and the fire dept. Just remember these are volunteers and they put alot of their time and their own money into the fire dept.
yes its BS

Ashland, KY

#16 Jan 27, 2010
Do away with the PD and give the FD the entire city budget! I bet in a month you would be begging to have the police back. This place would turn into South Shore in a week. Greenup would make South Shore look like Disneyland lickity split. This issue was brought up at the council meeting by a council member (Mark Harris) that happens to be on the FD and the others that backed it are also council members that are on the FD. Isn't it against the law for them to be on council? Oh I forgot they had that law changed and now the majority of the council is firemen. Now we have one running for mayor! If he wins will he still get to be on the fire dept? Will they get that law changed too? The fire department needs to put out fires and get out of politics. This issue is exactly why it "used" to be illegal for FD members to be on the council. If they are gonna be on the council then they should not vote on FD issues. Wasn't that a stipulation of them being on there? It's the good ole' boy network working at it's best. The FD is one of the best equipped departments around. Instead of fighting the city over budget issues maybe they should start acting like a team and be part of the city instead of alienating themselves from it. Just an opinion.
hahahah

Ashland, KY

#17 Jan 27, 2010
hahaha wrote:
<quoted text>
Here we go STEVE. Everyone if you want to know that it is Steve he always writes his name with one d (Wadell) You are a idiot
this is what is so funny about topix! you think he spells his last name wrong to throw people off? hahaha I can prove it was not him but I am not gonna tell you how. I will give you a hint though. Well actually I won't hahaha. Ok what if he was in Kitts Hill Ohio and I talked to him 15 minutes ago as he was driving back? Just assume that it was him though IDIOT. Heck, I could be him. Actually I am him and I am a spinless coward afraid to post my name just like you. But now that you outed me you win. It's me. Steev Wandel, lol.
Shelly

Elizabethtown, KY

#18 Jan 27, 2010
Barnbum wrote:
I'm with u 'portsmouth' I see them 'speeding' into town at quitting times. Between 5 & 6am this morning, I was coming home from work & a cop came buzzing up beside me. We had a red light at raceland super quik. The light changed & he took off. I got up to 68mph & he was blowing me away. It was hard to keep my eye on him! He merged toward town. Most of our cops in this area think the laws don't apply to them! <quoted text>
What police department were they from because the city of greenup officers doesn't work that late anymore?
Shelly

Elizabethtown, KY

#19 Jan 27, 2010
yes its BS wrote:
Do away with the PD and give the FD the entire city budget! I bet in a month you would be begging to have the police back. This place would turn into South Shore in a week. Greenup would make South Shore look like Disneyland lickity split. This issue was brought up at the council meeting by a council member (Mark Harris) that happens to be on the FD and the others that backed it are also council members that are on the FD. Isn't it against the law for them to be on council? Oh I forgot they had that law changed and now the majority of the council is firemen. Now we have one running for mayor! If he wins will he still get to be on the fire dept? Will they get that law changed too? The fire department needs to put out fires and get out of politics. This issue is exactly why it "used" to be illegal for FD members to be on the council. If they are gonna be on the council then they should not vote on FD issues. Wasn't that a stipulation of them being on there? It's the good ole' boy network working at it's best. The FD is one of the best equipped departments around. Instead of fighting the city over budget issues maybe they should start acting like a team and be part of the city instead of alienating themselves from it. Just an opinion.
Very well said!!! Very True!!!!
Mike

Elizabethtown, KY

#20 Jan 27, 2010
The reporter from The Greenup News was there hopefully she will set everyone straight on this issue. I for one believe that the FD people are starting all this stuff and I will be at the next council meeting. Maybe someone from the AG office will be there also. I will be calling them first thing in tha am tomorrow. It is all Political with the fireman/council member running for Mayor.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greenup Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 8 min Le Jimbo 155,441
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 31 min gary 7,190
Emma Mitchell (Sep '13) 1 hr What it to ya 4
Get Rid of Judge-Executive Bobby Carpenter (Apr '10) 7 hr Dummys 202
Justin Beek/football/murderer 9 hr Malthael 2
looking for a fling 11 hr Fred 4
Alcohol sales approved for Russell 13 hr ..... 10
Greenup Dating

more search filters

less search filters

Greenup Jobs

Greenup People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE