Next Last
i know

Ashland, KY

#1 Jan 17, 2012
Is half the school knocked up or what, since when was teen pregnancy acceptable
Carrigan

Clearwater, FL

#2 Jan 17, 2012
If the parents of these teenagers had to take responsibility for their soon to be grandchildren I have a feeling there wouldn't be as many prgenant girls. Instead they just take them down and sign them up for all the welfare they can get and make us...the tax payers...pay for it. Do you know how teenagers pay for the birth of their babies? Medicaid! Almost 90% of them receive Medicaid for themselves...and then their offspring. Then comes the WIC, the food stamps, the HUD, the free college education(if they manage to graduate high school), free child care and of course the state paid child support when they discover their "baby daddy" isn't going to pay it. And the real kicker is that half of them will be pregnant again within 2 years of having the first child! So basically they are just carrying the child...we have to pay for it.
Taxpayer

Crooksville, OH

#3 Jan 17, 2012
I agree 110% Carrigan!! Very well said! It's sad, but true. I for one, never have rec'd the first hand out. I'm 29 years old & the way I was raised was you get married FIRST, then start your family. All while WORKING & paying your own bills. I could go on & on about this subject. It sickens me! You think I enjoyed handing my son over to daycare & going back to work? NO, especially seeing the "mothers" that you know are going home & going back to bed & the state is paying for the child care. So SO SO sick of the way things are now!!! Now when I reach retirement age, will I get any $? Probably not, other than my pension I WORK for!! Ughh!!!!
quit glamorizing

United States

#4 Jan 17, 2012
We also need to quit glamorizing teen pregnancies. Go back to the 60's and put these girls in homes for unwed mothers. Isolate them from impressionable young girls who only see the "fun" side. Quit having them walk the halls of the high schools with everyone "rubbing their bellies" and saying "how cute they look". Do DNA testing as soon as born and make the daddies quit sports and get jobs to support these kids. If you think this is unconstitutional fine, then put these limitations on the girls receiving welfare. Let Mommy and Daddy foot the bills if the girls want to stay in mainstream schools.
Carrigan

Clearwater, FL

#5 Jan 17, 2012
quit glamorizing wrote:
We also need to quit glamorizing teen pregnancies. Go back to the 60's and put these girls in homes for unwed mothers. Isolate them from impressionable young girls who only see the "fun" side. Quit having them walk the halls of the high schools with everyone "rubbing their bellies" and saying "how cute they look". Do DNA testing as soon as born and make the daddies quit sports and get jobs to support these kids. If you think this is unconstitutional fine, then put these limitations on the girls receiving welfare. Let Mommy and Daddy foot the bills if the girls want to stay in mainstream schools.
Exactly! We sent our children to private school for this very reason. They went to the same school from K-12 and not a single student became a teen parent. They would have been kicked out of school and their parents would have been humiliated!

And "Taxpayer" I agree with you too. I was raised like you...to get an education, get married and then have a child when you can afford to support one. Not to be irresponsible and have other people pay for your bad choices. If teenagers decide to have sex and have a baby then they and their parents should have to pay for all of the expenses. If they need the tax payers to support them they aren't ready for a child. I also think all welfare should have to be paid back! Get Medicaid now...then you have to pay it back each paycheck when you get a job. This goes for the parents of the teenagers who have children too.
sons

Port Deposit, MD

#6 Jan 17, 2012
I think the bigger issues is why is teen pregnancy on the rise? It's not just at GCHS. I don't have a daughter but I make sure my sons know the consequences if this happens. It's not just the girls, the boys are just as responsible or irresponsible.
Carrigan

Clearwater, FL

#7 Jan 17, 2012
sons wrote:
I think the bigger issues is why is teen pregnancy on the rise? It's not just at GCHS. I don't have a daughter but I make sure my sons know the consequences if this happens. It's not just the girls, the boys are just as responsible or irresponsible.
It is on the rise because welfare is so readily available and most people have no shame, pride or self respect. Welfare rewards people for being irresponsible. It encourages bed choices. I bet that most of the teenagers having children were raised in a single parent home on welfare. Statistics show they are much, much more likely to have a child while in high school. If mom/dad has their boyfriend/girlfriend spending the night with them or living with them what is this teaching the kids? That it's okay to have sex without being married. When mom gets pregnant and signs up for welfare she is teaching her children that it's fine for other people to pay for HER responsibilities. Meanwhile her boyfriend doesn't pay a dime. Why should he when the tax payers will do it?! I agree that the boys are just as responsible. That's why HIS parents should have to pay for their grandchild too. I think you will find that most teenage mothers come from teenage mothers themselves. It's a cycle that won't end until the benefits stop.
Taxpayer

Crooksville, OH

#8 Jan 17, 2012
Carrigan wrote:
<quoted text>
It is on the rise because welfare is so readily available and most people have no shame, pride or self respect. Welfare rewards people for being irresponsible. It encourages bed choices. I bet that most of the teenagers having children were raised in a single parent home on welfare. Statistics show they are much, much more likely to have a child while in high school. If mom/dad has their boyfriend/girlfriend spending the night with them or living with them what is this teaching the kids? That it's okay to have sex without being married. When mom gets pregnant and signs up for welfare she is teaching her children that it's fine for other people to pay for HER responsibilities. Meanwhile her boyfriend doesn't pay a dime. Why should he when the tax payers will do it?! I agree that the boys are just as responsible. That's why HIS parents should have to pay for their grandchild too. I think you will find that most teenage mothers come from teenage mothers themselves. It's a cycle that won't end until the benefits stop.
Exactly! And while I keep my fingers crossed I had enough EXTRA withholdings from both mine & my husbands pay checks last year, they will be rapid refunding their $3-$7k refund. Burns me up! That is the thing, the system is SO easy to beat, ugh! And also, even tho my husband & I dated a few years before we married, he was NEVER ALLOWED in my bedroom......period, let alone staying over. Parents just don't care anymore. Kinda makes me wish I was from a whole different generation. BUT, I will continue to hold my head high, because the Man upstairs knows all!!
sons

Port Deposit, MD

#9 Jan 17, 2012
Have you seen the shows on MTV like "16 and pregnant" and "Teen Mom 2"?? I think the idea was to discourage teen pregnancy but instead it has made these girls famous, almost like role models.
Carrigan

Clearwater, FL

#10 Jan 17, 2012
Taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly! And while I keep my fingers crossed I had enough EXTRA withholdings from both mine & my husbands pay checks last year, they will be rapid refunding their $3-$7k refund. Burns me up! That is the thing, the system is SO easy to beat, ugh! And also, even tho my husband & I dated a few years before we married, he was NEVER ALLOWED in my bedroom......period, let alone staying over. Parents just don't care anymore. Kinda makes me wish I was from a whole different generation. BUT, I will continue to hold my head high, because the Man upstairs knows all!!
My children are both in college now, but when they lived at home they were NEVER allowed to have their boyfriend/girlfriend in their bedroom. And they weren't allowed to even have them in the house if my husband and I weren't home. We knew their friends AND their friends' parents. My father was the same way with me when I was a kid. It's a lot of work being a parent. Hard work! You are responsible for teaching another human being what is right and wrong...what is acceptable and what isn't. I'm sure it would have been easier on us to just give in to our kids. Let them do whatever they want. But a good parent takes this job seriously. We put up with the, "that's not fair" and the "you are so mean" because we knew it will pay off in the end. It did! Yes, you keep your head up and know that hard work will pay off.
Finally

Sullivan, OH

#11 Jan 17, 2012
I am so glad there are people who think this way. It seems it is the minority here. While I am sure not everyone is going to agree with me or my choices, I am a 20 something lady who does not even think sex before marriage is a good choice for me. My faith is the biggest factor. Sadly, it's rare now. Sex is glorified in the world right along with teen pregnancies and drugs. They just do not understand the consequences. They only see it as fun. I wish there were more around here who thought the way I did.
Taxpayer

Crooksville, OH

#12 Jan 17, 2012
Carrigan wrote:
<quoted text>
My children are both in college now, but when they lived at home they were NEVER allowed to have their boyfriend/girlfriend in their bedroom. And they weren't allowed to even have them in the house if my husband and I weren't home. We knew their friends AND their friends' parents. My father was the same way with me when I was a kid. It's a lot of work being a parent. Hard work! You are responsible for teaching another human being what is right and wrong...what is acceptable and what isn't. I'm sure it would have been easier on us to just give in to our kids. Let them do whatever they want. But a good parent takes this job seriously. We put up with the, "that's not fair" and the "you are so mean" because we knew it will pay off in the end. It did! Yes, you keep your head up and know that hard work will pay off.
My thoughts exactly, thank you!! When I said "that's not fair" to my parents, I got "life's not fair". Buddy were they right! At lease a few of us were raised right, Carrigan.:-)
history repeat

Chesapeake, OH

#13 Jan 17, 2012
Carrigan wrote:
<quoted text>It is on the rise because welfare is so readily available and most people have no shame, pride or self respect. Welfare rewards people for being irresponsible. It encourages bed choices. I bet that most of the teenagers having children were raised in a single parent home on welfare. Statistics show they are much, much more likely to have a child while in high school. If mom/dad has their boyfriend/girlfriend spending the night with them or living with them what is this teaching the kids? That it's okay to have sex without being married. When mom gets pregnant and signs up for welfare she is teaching her children that it's fine for other people to pay for HER responsibilities. Meanwhile her boyfriend doesn't pay a dime. Why should he when the tax payers will do it?! I agree that the boys are just as responsible. That's why HIS parents should have to pay for their grandchild too. I think you will find that most teenage mothers come from teenage mothers themselves. It's a cycle that won't end until the benefits stop.
Actually, if you look at National Statistics, you would see that teen pregnancy is lower than it has been in many years. Just because a few girls are pregnant at GCHS at the same time doesn't mean it's like that everywhere. There were "outbreaks" of girls becoming pregnant I went to GCHS. It is going to happen, that is horrible to say, but it has been that way for many years and will continue unless we make birth control mandatory. And, I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Proud mother

United States

#14 Jan 17, 2012
I had my son n high school.. Im not encouraging teen pregnancy but my son is a blessing from God and I hope that u all wont judge these young mothers n hope that except parenthood like I have so these lil angels can have a good life. To all the teen moms to be- IT can be done!!
Thanks

Ashland, KY

#15 Jan 17, 2012
i know wrote:
Is half the school knocked up or what, since when was teen pregnancy acceptable
My parents were wierd my high school boyfriend was allowed to sleep over, but he slept in the spare room in the basement, my dad slept on the couch in the living room which had to be passed through to get to my room, and it was only because he was on a football scholarship at a college 300 miles away, and his parents had moved to another state, I graduated a virgin, because my parents made it clear how important living life was! I am now happily married, and struggling from depression caused by infertility. I am 30. If the state would give them 3-4 years assistance and set requirements on receiving it such as satisfactory completion of training classes I wouldn't have half the problem with it, but it's no longer a helping hand but rather a handout!
Tweak

Whitney, TX

#16 Jan 17, 2012
Half of you people are moronic. Im 18 years old. Legally an adult, and your going to judge people of my age group(17-18). In case you nutjobs didnt realize this, ever since the age of technology has come children and young adult have matured faster than previous generations. No wonder people are having kids younger and younger. This isnt the 50's anymore nor the 70's and 80's. Its 2012, be realistic and understand. Not every fucking person draws EVERY conceivable free thing the state offers. Grow up.
Tweak

Whitney, TX

#17 Jan 17, 2012
Oh, and by the way. Some people know what they are doing and are TRYING for kids. Some people have jobs, dont get foodstamps and earn a living. Not everyone in Greenup County around age 18 is a damn bum. Quite Frankly this is how it is. The rich kids stay rich and go to nice fancy college's. The poor kids either work hard and go to college or end up here forever. Then theres those group of people that just doesnt seem to care and just drifts through life. So try to distinguish different groups of people IF its not too hard there. People get offended.(Me)
Finally

Sullivan, OH

#18 Jan 17, 2012
Tweak wrote:
Half of you people are moronic. Im 18 years old. Legally an adult, and your going to judge people of my age group(17-18). In case you nutjobs didnt realize this, ever since the age of technology has come children and young adult have matured faster than previous generations. No wonder people are having kids younger and younger. This isnt the 50's anymore nor the 70's and 80's. Its 2012, be realistic and understand. Not every fucking person draws EVERY conceivable free thing the state offers. Grow up.
Tweak, the only one moronic is you. Your vocabulary proves that. But, you're right. Kids do mature faster. I see little children with cell phones, makeup, slutty clothes, horrible role models, and more. What happened to staying young and innocent? If I could go back, I would. My advice to the children today is PLEASE don't try to grow up too fast. You have your whole life ahead of you. You can't go back to being young.
seriously

Boynton Beach, FL

#19 Jan 17, 2012
Carrigan wrote:
<quoted text>It is on the rise because welfare is so readily available and most people have no shame, pride or self respect. Welfare rewards people for being irresponsible. It encourages bed choices. I bet that most of the teenagers having children were raised in a single parent home on welfare. Statistics show they are much, much more likely to have a child while in high school. If mom/dad has their boyfriend/girlfriend spending the night with them or living with them what is this teaching the kids? That it's okay to have sex without being married. When mom gets pregnant and signs up for welfare she is teaching her children that it's fine for other people to pay for HER responsibilities. Meanwhile her boyfriend doesn't pay a dime. Why should he when the tax payers will do it?! I agree that the boys are just as responsible. That's why HIS parents should have to pay for their grandchild too. I think you will find that most teenage mothers come from teenage mothers themselves. It's a cycle that won't end until the benefits stop.
I am so tired of hearing that children with single mothers are the ruining of America. I am a single mother who became pregnant in my 20's. The father wasn't ready to be a father, so I raise my child with no child support, or anytime of welfare or state help. I work everyday, and also raise my child in church. And my child makes many people happy daily with a smile, sweet words, and just being a great kid!

I just really wish that people would want to find a way to help the community instead of judging it based on a small group. There are a lot of wonderful children and parents from Greenup. Plus...I might not like my money being used for welfare, but those young girls and babies do deserve to eat. And they deserve to go to the doctor. I can't imagine being so selfish to get upset that my tax money is used in such a way! That is better then a lot of other choices the government makes in spending your money.
Finally

Sullivan, OH

#20 Jan 17, 2012
"Seriously" I hope that by raising your child in church, I hope you're teaching him/her abstinence because God never intended sex to be outside of marriage.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greenup Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
route 2 moving road? (Jun '13) 13 hr big a 10
Who coaches GC volleyball 14 hr Gc alumni 5
stacey thompson / carver 21 hr theman 8
Hot teachers Wed Really 2
Robert Roe (May '10) Jan 17 Nope 27
Anyone know of HUD houses for rent? (Jun '16) Jan 16 Rhea 7
who started trashy trailer park Jan 16 Okay 18

Greenup Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance