"I ran out of gas" scam
pgh

Greensburg, PA

#1 Sep 4, 2012
I've been approached by strangers a number of times in the Walmart parking lot. The tell me they ran out of gas and need some money to get home to some moderately distant location. Sometimes there's a small child with them. It's happened too many times to be considered credible, and I've told that to several of them. What is the proper action for this situation? Should we just let it go or would the state police care to be notified? After all, the cops can help you out if you're stranded.
jstme

Greensburg, PA

#2 Sep 8, 2012
This happens in other areas of Greensburg also...I also wonder what you do...

“no”

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#3 Sep 12, 2012
pgh wrote:
I've been approached by strangers a number of times in the Walmart parking lot. The tell me they ran out of gas and need some money to get home to some moderately distant location. Sometimes there's a small child with them. It's happened too many times to be considered credible, and I've told that to several of them. What is the proper action for this situation? Should we just let it go or would the state police care to be notified? After all, the cops can help you out if you're stranded.
that's funny because some a$$hole came up to me at a sunoco in greensburg and told me he is from Virginia and needs to get back home to his children and this and that. Said he was out of gas and could I give him $5. So I said first off, no, second off how the fck are you going to make it back to Virginia on 5 dollars. And third you don't even have a car. Beat your feet

“no”

Location hidden

#4 Sep 12, 2012
The police aren't going to do anything. Back were I'm from we called these people vultures. And it sucks because greensburg is getting a lot of them. They hit you up on the way out the store because you probably have change and singles on you. Just say no and keep it moving.
pgh

Greensburg, PA

#5 Sep 12, 2012
I figured the cops didn't want to be bothered with piddly $hit like this, but it pi$$es me off. I realize these parasites aren't getting rich; just picking up a few extra dollars from gullible, well meaning people. I wish something could be done. I'd like some cops to weigh in on this issue.

“no”

Location hidden

#6 Sep 12, 2012
I guess it depends on the jurisdiction. If its state police area they probably wont dispatch an officer over it. By the time he gets dispatched and on the scene the bums gone. Smaller manicipalities probably do more. You don't see to much pan handling in smaller boroughs. I don't know what town your from, maybe bring it up at a town meeting
Dayna

Stillwater, OK

#7 Jun 19, 2014
I had this happen to me about an hour ago at a gas station. I had just pulled up and turned off the car when this guy came to my car. I did not get out, nor did I roll down the window. He acted desperate to the point of tears in his eyes and pleading. said they just came in from Arkansas (now in Stillwater, Oklahoma) and ran out of gas. I shook my head no and left. went and got gas at another gas station. when I got home I called and reported it to the police. I have no cell phone, LOL. my first thought was "how convenient", they ran out of gas right at the gas pump.
Anonymous

Irwin, PA

#8 Jul 11, 2014
This happened to me in the New Stanton Sheetz. A woman approached me with a small child asking me for a couple bucks for gas. I gave her $3, it's all i had at the time. She appeared intoxicated, slurred speech. I figured she wanted drug money, but if she did need gas i figured I'd help a little. Besides she's probably gonna get money from others anyways. I should have said no though, it's only encouraging that behavior.
MeToo

Oil City, PA

#10 Jan 1, 2015
Anonymous wrote:
This happened to me in the New Stanton Sheetz. A woman approached me with a small child asking me for a couple bucks for gas. I gave her $3, it's all i had at the time. She appeared intoxicated, slurred speech. I figured she wanted drug money, but if she did need gas i figured I'd help a little. Besides she's probably gonna get money from others anyways. I should have said no though, it's only encouraging that behavior.
I just got one like that at Sheetz in Youngwood a month ago. Crappy old red pickup, dirty kid in the truck with her. The lady looks so meth-ed up slurring speech or lisp or something. I just feel so bad for the kids in cases like that.
phokadude

Topeka, KS

#12 Nov 8, 2015
I am up late and this happens all the time, often the same people doing it over again a month later, if you feel guilty just look at their car tags because usually they say they are from out of town but have local county tags.
blue man

Ebensburg, PA

#13 Nov 15, 2015
pgh wrote:
I figured the cops didn't want to be bothered with piddly $hit like this, but it pi$$es me off. I realize these parasites aren't getting rich; just picking up a few extra dollars from gullible, well meaning people. I wish something could be done. I'd like some cops to weigh in on this issue.
Dont have time for these scams. we're busy keeping "certain" people in their place
The real story

Export, PA

#14 Dec 19, 2015
Oh now come come people. Surely you don't realize these people are disabled and on every form of government assistance known to man. They deserve your hard earned cash. They deserve your sympathy and to never have to work again. Their fibromyalgia bone hurts and they have anxiety, and being hooked on 1,657 different street drugs is a disability don't you know.... Given these poor people a chance to swindle you for pitty's sake. They are too disabled to work.....
Rlm

Memphis, TN

#15 Apr 22, 2016
OK to be honest I have had to do this but I was actually out of gas and no money I work my husband is disabled and have 6 kids and homeless but I make do for my own family there have been times when I ran out if gas and had to push my car into gas station and ask someone for a couple dollars to just get home

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greensburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News KKK membership rising in tough times (Jan '09) Mar 17 Foam Finger Guy 3,972
Old Jeannette (Aug '06) Mar 16 Old music 45
Who is Maxwell Morton & why would he shoot Ryan... (Feb '15) Feb 24 gun owner 8
15 Depot Street in Penn PA is a whorehouse (Jun '16) Feb '17 JimmyMack 3
News Greensburg prison inmate dies on the way to the... (Mar '08) Jan '17 Tcaam 61
supervalu Dec '16 Outsider 2
Stone and Company! (Feb '10) Nov '16 David 10

Greensburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Greensburg Mortgages