First Prev
of 32
Next Last
M Jean Johannigman

Batesville, IN

#1 Feb 15, 2013

In Today's Greensburg Daily News of 2/15/13 there is a front page article titled:

"Mayor encourages GCS to create ties with China"

In this article is the following statement:

QUOTE: "Main Street Greensburg donated $100.00 to the Greensburg Junior High School Band".

My question: Why did Main Street Greensburg request $30,000.00 from the City of Greensburg as a Not for Profit (and they also receive funding from the county) and then turn around and "donate" money to the Junior High School Band?

I am not questioning the validity of donating to something as worthwhile as our Junior High School band....but should Not for Profit funds requested from the City and County be utilized in this manner or for the purpose they were requested for?
Misery Now

Lewisburg, OH

#2 Feb 15, 2013
I would say that is pretty dirty, and probably in violation of a policies and guidelines governing both the city and the Not-for-profit. They should not be allowed to donate money to something as off-the-wall as the band, they should have to spend every penny and account for it in relevant expenses, not donations to a band that one would think has nothing to do with the Mainstreet mission statement. Looks like someone just wants to be free and loose with the pursestrings, and look like a big person throwing money around.
question

Sunman, IN

#3 Feb 15, 2013
Misery Now wrote:
I would say that is pretty dirty, and probably in violation of a policies and guidelines governing both the city and the Not-for-profit. They should not be allowed to donate money to something as off-the-wall as the band, they should have to spend every penny and account for it in relevant expenses, not donations to a band that one would think has nothing to do with the Mainstreet mission statement. Looks like someone just wants to be free and loose with the pursestrings, and look like a big person throwing money around.
Perhaps the "donation" was payment for a performance for a downtown event? Just a thought, I have no knowledge of such arrangement, just trying to rationalize such a use of funds.
hummmm

Sunman, IN

#5 Feb 16, 2013
The Greensburg Jr. High Band performed in the gazebo the night that Santa appeared downtown. I watched it. So, my guess is that the donation was an effort to thank the band for coming out on a cold evening to perform. I have also heard that the benches that are popping up downtown are a fundraising project by Mainstreet. So, maybe they used funds they raised?

Wasnt there another article not long ago about the Alma Taylor fund giving a grant to the owners of the Babyboutique building. Guess thats where they put their money.
yeah

Greensburg, IN

#6 Feb 16, 2013
Today's Greensburg Daily News of 2/15/13 there is a front page article titled:

"Mayor encourages GCS to create ties with China"

In this article is the following statement:

QUOTE: "Main Street Greensburg donated $100.00 to the Greensburg Junior High School Band".

My question: Why did Main Street Greensburg request $30,000.00 from the City of Greensburg as a Not for Profit (and they also receive funding from the county) and then turn around and "donate" money to the Junior High School Band?

I am not questioning the validity of donating to something as worthwhile as our Junior High School band....but should Not for Profit funds requested from the City and County be utilized in this manner or for the purpose they were requested for?

Maybe just maybe they took a collection from their members and donated that. It's such a small amount it is completely believable
Nobody Important

Greenwood, IN

#7 Feb 16, 2013
yeah wrote:
Maybe just maybe they took a collection from their members and donated that. It's such a small amount it is completely believable.
Even if it is a collection from members, isn't it an indicator of loose accounting practice? Why are apples and oranges mixed? Isn't it the accounting purpose to maintain an audit trail?
yeah

Greensburg, IN

#8 Feb 16, 2013
Nobody Important wrote:
<quoted text>Even if it is a collection from members, isn't it an indicator of loose accounting practice? Why are apples and oranges mixed? Isn't it the accounting purpose to maintain an audit trail?
How is that? People can't personally donate $5-$10 each and give it to a school with out being questioned?
Sunshine

Greensburg, IN

#9 Feb 16, 2013
Some people can't control their jealousy or it is their sadistic nature to try to make other people look bad. Just look at the people that are posting negative comments on this thread. They have nothing good to say about anyone, except theirselves.
yeah

United States

#10 Feb 16, 2013
Sunshine wrote:
Some people can't control their jealousy or it is their sadistic nature to try to make other people look bad. Just look at the people that are posting negative comments on this thread. They have nothing good to say about anyone, except theirselves.
Well my thought on it is this. The employees where I work all pitched in cash to tornado victims a while back does that mean that the company we all work for have bad spending practices? No it means the employees tried to do something nice.$100 isn't a large sum of money and I could understand this post if it were $10,000 or something like that but $100 really?
Graceee

Batesville, IN

#11 Feb 16, 2013
Sunshine wrote:
Some people can't control their jealousy or it is their sadistic nature to try to make other people look bad. Just look at the people that are posting negative comments on this thread. They have nothing good to say about anyone, except theirselves.
Excuse me, but no one was bashing anyone.......they were just asking legite questions as taxpayers. The law should pertain to organizations and when it concerns monies.......well........perha ps they need be more careful as to how they dole it out. I have not heard anyone bashing anyone so far.(so tell me, who pissed on your wheaties this morning ?)
yeah

Hammond, IN

#12 Feb 16, 2013
Graceee wrote:
<quoted text>Excuse me, but no one was bashing anyone.......they were just asking legite questions as taxpayers. The law should pertain to organizations and when it concerns monies.......well........perha ps they need be more careful as to how they dole it out. I have not heard anyone bashing anyone so far.(so tell me, who pissed on your wheaties this morning ?)
Does anyone have proof it came from city money etc
M Jean Johannigman

Greensburg, IN

#13 Feb 16, 2013
yeah wrote:
<quoted text>
Does anyone have proof it came from city money etc
I was at the City Council meeting where this organization requested from the City $30,000.00 and received it. They also receive a comparable amount from the county.

I also posted video on TOPIX and YOUTUBE of the meeting where they made and received this request.
yeah

Hammond, IN

#14 Feb 16, 2013
M Jean Johannigman wrote:
<quoted text>I was at the City Council meeting where this organization requested from the City $30,000.00 and received it. They also receive a comparable amount from the county.

I also posted video on TOPIX and YOUTUBE of the meeting where they made and received this request.
Great now where is the proof the $100 came from that money
M Jean Johannigman

Greensburg, IN

#15 Feb 16, 2013
Here is the meeting video of all the Not for Profits at the City Council meeting:

FUNDS REQUESTED:

PART 1 : http://youtu.be/1Y9FU5tqLGE

PART 2 : http://youtu.be/QlbBLDRvqJo

FUNDS GRANTED:

PART 1 : http://youtu.be/3N_GABrAcOA

PART 2 : http://youtu.be/g06WEy2FyyM
M Jean Johannigman

Greensburg, IN

#16 Feb 16, 2013
yeah wrote:
<quoted text>
Great now where is the proof the $100 came from that money
If this was personal donation by members as has been indicated in several posts with no proof that is the case then the newspaper article should not have used the Main Street Greensburg listed as donating it.

yeah

Hammond, IN

#17 Feb 16, 2013
M Jean Johannigman wrote:
<quoted text>If this was personal donation by members as has been indicated in several posts with no proof that is the case then the newspaper article should not have used the Main Street Greensburg listed as donating it.
Why not? I think people are blowing it out of proportion is was a small donation they didn't donate 20k or anything like that. They didn't even donate enough to get a kid their books for a year people need to quit assuming that horrible things are happening over a cheap donation. Who cares who is listed. My company listed this selves as the ones who donated money to the tornado victims not each individual person who donated so does that mean the company used money from the company? No it does not. How about facts first then condemn them.
M Jean Johannigman

Greensburg, IN

#18 Feb 16, 2013
yeah wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not? I think people are blowing it out of proportion is was a small donation they didn't donate 20k or anything like that. They didn't even donate enough to get a kid their books for a year people need to quit assuming that horrible things are happening over a cheap donation. Who cares who is listed. My company listed this selves as the ones who donated money to the tornado victims not each individual person who donated so does that mean the company used money from the company? No it does not. How about facts first then condemn them.
who is "condemning" them? I am not. I would just like to see money that is supposed to be used in the downtown....used in the downtown. used for the purpose requested. The schools are already funded with our tax money. perhaps this money could have been used to purchase another trash can which we are in need of downtown.
yeah

Hammond, IN

#19 Feb 16, 2013
M Jean Johannigman wrote:
<quoted text>who is "condemning" them? I am not. I would just like to see money that is supposed to be used in the downtown....used in the downtown. used for the purpose requested. The schools are already funded with our tax money. perhaps this money could have been used to purchase another trash can which we are in need of downtown.
The condemning comes in when you don't even know if this donation came from the funds yet you act like it has
M Jean Johannigman

Greensburg, IN

#20 Feb 16, 2013
yeah wrote:
<quoted text>
The condemning comes in when you don't even know if this donation came from the funds yet you act like it has
Your issue is with the newspaper...not with me.

The GDN said the donation came from Main Street.....
yeah

Hammond, IN

#21 Feb 16, 2013
M Jean Johannigman wrote:
<quoted text>Your issue is with the newspaper...not with me.

The GDN said the donation came from Main Street.....
And where does it say from funds received from the city?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 32
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greensburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
VIDEO of City of Greensburg IN Public meetings (Dec '11) 20 hr Jean Johannigman 245
Excela Westmoreland 20 hr Excella No More 1
Honda Hiring Process? (Jun '11) May 21 Cam 1,276
Greensburg Christian Academy (Test Out Program) (Mar '09) May 19 Grad 99
WTRE News Headlines May 16 Hoosier Hillbilly 2
Is there a Chase ATM in Greensburg? May 4 Greensburg 4
dccs & gcs May 3 Just the Facts 2
More from around the web

Greensburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]