YMCA preschool 3/4 year old class

Posted in the Greensburg Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Concerned Parent

Sunman, IN

#1 Feb 18, 2013
First of all I haven't had any problems with the preschool class that my child is in this year. The teachers are great, especially Julie. However, I was wondering, if anyone knew the teachers name in the 3 to 4 year old class at the YMCA? She is a bigger lady. She has dirty blonde hair with pink streaks in it. Every time I pick up my child from the class next to hers she has something to say to one of the parents about their child being in trouble. She writes 3 and 4 year olds names on the board when they get in trouble?? Last week there were 14 names on the board! That just seems completely crazy to me. I mean if my child did something terrible I would want to know. But I highly doubt 14 kids did something so terrible that their names were put on the board. I wanted to send my other child to preschool there next year. But I think my child would be in that class. I will definitely not be sending them if she is the teacher.
go figure

Mishawaka, IN

#2 Feb 18, 2013
of course the YMCA preschool program would go downhill without Doreen there. I'm sure she would NEVER approve of singling out children and embarrassing them by putting their names on a board. Sounds to me like the teacher is a bully. It's been a few years since my kids went there- but that's totally uncalled for. aren't they supposed to be preparing kids for the elementary? Not scaring the $hit out of them so they won't want to go!!! and seriously... I would think that they YMCA would require teachers to look a little more professional. pink streaks in her hair? c'mon? does she think she's 12??? lol
well

Hoffman Estates, IL

#3 Feb 18, 2013
go figure wrote:
of course the YMCA preschool program would go downhill without Doreen there. I'm sure she would NEVER approve of singling out children and embarrassing them by putting their names on a board. Sounds to me like the teacher is a bully. It's been a few years since my kids went there- but that's totally uncalled for. aren't they supposed to be preparing kids for the elementary? Not scaring the $hit out of them so they won't want to go!!! and seriously... I would think that they YMCA would require teachers to look a little more professional. pink streaks in her hair? c'mon? does she think she's 12??? lol
Wow guess punishing kids is wrong let them run wild with no worry of authority that will prepare them for school. As far as the hair goes who cares I bet the kids there love it
this site is pathetic

Osgood, IN

#4 Feb 18, 2013
doreen was great! i volunteered there in highschool she treated the children amazing...my eldest is 2 and was wanting her to go there but ummm if they single her out best believe i wud be going off...thats not right to embarass little ones like that they are so impressionable at that age...i would take it up with the one in charge! not right...thanks for the insight though ill have to do lots more research b4 she goes to school didnt know doreen had retired she is who i wanted my little one to have she was amazing!
Concerned parent

Sunman, IN

#5 Feb 18, 2013
Nobody said to let them run wild. My sons class never has problems like this. I always go in a little early and watch them finish up and they don't deal with punishment the same way she does. They correct them and don't embarrass them by putting their names on the board. at that age it is all about reinforcing good behaviors and correcting the bad behaviors, but not like that. Oh and btw my kids, ALL five, are all well behaved seeing as their dad is a veteran and served for 15 years. We have actually had ppl compliment how well behaved they are in restaurants. So not all parents let their kids "run wild"
well

Hoffman Estates, IL

#6 Feb 18, 2013
Concerned parent wrote:
Nobody said to let them run wild. My sons class never has problems like this. I always go in a little early and watch them finish up and they don't deal with punishment the same way she does. They correct them and don't embarrass them by putting their names on the board. at that age it is all about reinforcing good behaviors and correcting the bad behaviors, but not like that. Oh and btw my kids, ALL five, are all well behaved seeing as their dad is a veteran and served for 15 years. We have actually had ppl compliment how well behaved they are in restaurants. So not all parents let their kids "run wild"
I never said all parents. And everyone had a different style of punishing kids
ithink

Greensburg, IN

#7 Feb 19, 2013
Not sure but I believe the lady you're talking about is a teachers aide/helper. I have seen the pink streaks and yeah she looks a tad bit trashy but I wouldn't worry bout any complaints that she has had. Mrs Cindy is the one that took Doreen's place, so if you have any issues I wouldn't hesitate to take them up with her. Btw, I think we all miss Doreen tremendously!!!
proud mothet

United States

#8 Feb 19, 2013
The teacher that keeps it all togather since Doreen left is miss Andrea .she is awsome and all the kids and parents love her..I would not be there if she left.
pat

United States

#9 Feb 19, 2013
That's true miss Andrea is awsome !!
proudmommy

Homer Glen, IL

#10 Feb 19, 2013
Miss Andrea is awesome and so is Miss Liza...too bad Doreen isn't there..she was a wonderful asset to the preschool program...don't care to much for the new director she never seems happy to be there
pat

United States

#11 Feb 19, 2013
I myself know of atleast 5 parents that won't be back next year because of her.
Greensburg Resident

Dupont, IN

#12 Feb 19, 2013
Obviously some of you never spent time volunteering in your childs class with Doreen or you would know that she was very rude and mean to the kids and the parents. She was also very rude to the girls who worked there. I have had 4 kids go through pre school at the Y and after my oldest had Doreen I would never allow my other kids to be in her class. I loved Miss Angie and would always ask to make sure my kids would have her. I know several other families who felt the same way, and some pulled their kids out of their program completely. Not only would she single out kids she would do so to the parents. On more than one occasion I heard her talk to parents about not paying their preschool payments. I loved Angie, Andrea, Sam and Liza, and would be comfortable Leaving my kids with them at any time. They are great people in and out of the YMCA. I do not have any kids there right now, but have several friends that do. A couple of them were concerned with Cindy ( she is in charge) in the beginning of the year, they tought she was not friendly, but as the year went on that changed and they are ok with her now. I have not heard much about the lady you are talking about (I think her name is Michelle) but if you have any concerns I agree that you should go in and talk to Cindy.
josie

Batesville, IN

#13 Feb 19, 2013
Sorry to disagree but writing names on the board doesn't sound like any punishment at all to 3 and 4 year olds. They can't even read. If they misbehave, they should miss out on a few minutes of something they like. A name on the board? useless
well

Indianapolis, IN

#14 Feb 19, 2013
Yeah but some parents think it embarrasses the kids. I think it was probably used as a reminder for the teacher to chat with that kids parents when the kid was picked up at the end of the say
Jill

Batesville, IN

#15 Feb 19, 2013
I wish I could afford to take my child to the Y......and..........I cant believe you ladies are discussing the Y on Topix.......just didnt think any of the parents from Y would even know about this website! lol!!!!
Josie

Batesville, IN

#18 Feb 20, 2013
Concerned parent wrote:
Really it's not really that expensive compared to Good Shepard. I only pay $98 a month and its cheaper if you're a member. If you can't afford it they have scholarships that make it only like $15 a month. It's a great preschool. I just don't like that teacher and I don't think my child would still be going there if she was the teacher for the 4 and 5 year old class.
You have to be kidding! Is that the normal charge? I pay Dogs All Day $22.50 a day for my doggy daycare!!
Really

Greensburg, IN

#19 Feb 20, 2013
You have got to be kidding! You actually pay someone that much to watch your DOG all day????
Josie

Batesville, IN

#20 Feb 21, 2013
Really wrote:
You have got to be kidding! You actually pay someone that much to watch your DOG all day????
That is the price. I rarely take him but for a special treat, yes. They also have partial rates and he can go for just a few hours for less. They do a great job and I know he is safe and well cared for there. It is very expensive but for boarding and for peace of mind, yes, we do pay this at times. Please remember that some people's dogs ARE their children.
info seeker

United States

#21 Feb 21, 2013
How can I get more info on the preschool? I am seeking a good preschool for my child.
well

Greensburg, IN

#22 Feb 21, 2013
You can either call 663-ymca or go in and talk and ask all your questions. They are all friendly at the ymca, the lady they are referring to is only a teachers helper and should not be the one in charge of addressing your questions and concerns.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greensburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pet Groomer 2 hr billieland71 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Indiana (D... (Oct '10) Tue Eddie W 549
Honda Hiring Process? (Jun '11) Apr 9 Wanda Doodat 1,321
Local Politics Do you approve of Gary Herbert as Mayor? (Oct '11) Apr 8 jigger 115
Missing German Shepherd Feb '18 keep watching 1
Native American history in Greensburg (Jun '13) Jan '18 ufo 34
Hope everyone has a good holiday Dec '17 scrooge 2

Greensburg Jobs

Personal Finance

Greensburg Mortgages