Costco Pulls Offensive "Lil' Monkey" ...

Costco Pulls Offensive "Lil' Monkey" Doll Off Shelves

There are 63 comments on the Fox 8 WGHP story from Aug 13, 2009, titled Costco Pulls Offensive "Lil' Monkey" Doll Off Shelves. In it, Fox 8 WGHP reports that:

A baby doll found at a local Costco store has been pulled from store shelves following complaints from customers complaining it is offensive.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox 8 WGHP.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
LTLLADY

Knoxville, TN

#1 Aug 13, 2009
THIS IS REDICULOUS!! WHAT THE HELL IS SO OFFENSIVE ABOUT THIS DOLL? THE PEOPLE WHO COMPLAINED ARE ALL IDIOTS!!!!!!
Mack Lyons

Des Moines, IA

#2 Aug 13, 2009
"THIS IS REDICULOUS!! WHAT THE HELL IS SO OFFENSIVE ABOUT THIS DOLL? THE PEOPLE WHO COMPLAINED ARE ALL IDIOTS!!!!!! "

Why of course, because there's absolutely nothin' wrong with callin' a black person a "lil' monkey". No sir, nothing at all wrong with that!
Mack Lyons

Des Moines, IA

#3 Aug 13, 2009
Apparently, even the word m.o n.k.e y is censored. That in itself should tell you something's off. :D
BlueDot

Huntsville, AL

#4 Aug 13, 2009
After the controversy during the primaries of politicians basically comparing African Americans to monkeys - a derogatory statement, I cannot believe that someone would come up with this doll - especially in comparison to the White version calling it Pretty Panda. It just makes my blood boil - and I'm a White, middle aged woman (demographics are important here due to the ongoing difficulty that we as a country/world have with skin color and cultural differences). When are we going to Love Thy Neighbor?????
dACIE

United States

#5 Aug 13, 2009
people stop living in the 60's. this is a freakin babydoll for christ sake. stop pulling the race card!! obama got in office so all you whiners, put that card back in your pocket and stfu and get a job!
cntry

Grant, AL

#6 Aug 13, 2009
good grief
COME ON

United States

#7 Aug 13, 2009
GET A LIFE (WHO EVER COMPLAINED)... WHAT HAS THE WORLD COME TO WHEN YOU THINK (KEY WORD THINK) A DOLL HAS OFFENDED YOU... COME ON NOW... IF THAT'S THE CASE, THEN I'M OFFENDED BY B.E.T. AND BLACK ARTS FESTIVAL... SOUL TRAIN... FRIED CHICKEN... ETC.. I COULD KEEP GOIN ON AND ON... I BELIEVE THE PROBLEM LIES IN ONESELF... LOOK IN THE MIRROR...
nohcchange

Saint Petersburg, FL

#8 Aug 13, 2009
Monkeys are way more intelligent than pandas. I thought the doll was cute. I call my son little monkey all the time. I agree--quit pulling the race card.
nohcchange

Saint Petersburg, FL

#9 Aug 13, 2009
The **** in the post above is for M.o.n.k.e.y.
Richard

Garden Grove, CA

#10 Aug 13, 2009
to "Come on" from NY, What makes you think that they don't have a job? I certainly hope a stereotype is behind that statement. Last I checked Unemployment is hitting ALL Americans regardless of race. With idiots who hold on to stereotypes like that, it's no wonder they can't see why some people would be offended.
cheesypoof

Saint Petersburg, FL

#11 Aug 13, 2009
I agree w/ COME ON. There's even a Black History Month, we get a day off work and school for MLK Jr. day, but not Good Friday. When did ANYONE become more important than Jesus?
cheesypoof

Saint Petersburg, FL

#12 Aug 13, 2009
Richard wrote:
to "Come on" from NY, What makes you think that they don't have a job? I certainly hope a stereotype is behind that statement. Last I checked Unemployment is hitting ALL Americans regardless of race. With idiots who hold on to stereotypes like that, it's no wonder they can't see why some people would be offended.
I think you meant to slam dACIE>

“filthy, but genuinely arousing”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#13 Aug 13, 2009
cheesypoof wrote:
I agree w/ COME ON. There's even a Black History Month, we get a day off work and school for MLK Jr. day, but not Good Friday. When did ANYONE become more important than Jesus?
Wall Street closes on Good Friday, consequently a LARGE number of businesses related to finance close as well. And, MLK is more important than Jesus because he was actually a real person not a made up figure that people use to promote their own personal hate-filled agendas.
Libra

Decatur, AL

#14 Aug 13, 2009
It’s a doll! Now if they made hats and handed them out to black children then I would be upset.
But this is insane what about the monkey’s fillings? Maybe they should have complained.
JPB

Dubuque, IA

#15 Aug 13, 2009
If we are trying to put racism behind us why would you bring up the idea that black people are monkeys. I personally believe that they are closely linked, but that one black man caused thousands of dolls to be pulled off shelves. Millions of dollars not to mention numerous jobs will be lost because some racist man didn't have anything better to do than campaign to get a child's toy taken off the shelf. Do you really think the kids would ever think about this? NO. Last time I checked we had a black president, So I think the race card has been played out. And to add to this idealism: At least the toy monkey had a job.
Libra

Decatur, AL

#16 Aug 13, 2009
M.o.n.k.e.y.'s
JPB

Dubuque, IA

#17 Aug 13, 2009
If we are trying to put racism behind us why would you bring up the idea that black people are m.o.n.k.e.y.s.. I personally believe that they are closely linked, but that one black man caused thousands of dolls to be pulled off shelves. Millions of dollars not to mention numerous jobs will be lost because some racist man didn't have anything better to do than campaign to get a child's toy taken off the shelf. Do you really think the kids would ever think about this? NO. Last time I checked we had a black president, So I think the race card has been played out. And to add to this idealism: At least the toy m.o.n.k.e.y. had a job.
JPB

Dubuque, IA

#18 Aug 13, 2009
Really Gloria wrote:
<quoted text>
Wall Street closes on Good Friday, consequently a LARGE number of businesses related to finance close as well. And, MLK is more important than Jesus because he was actually a real person not a made up figure that people use to promote their own personal hate-filled agendas.
Last I checked Abraham Lincoln was the man to that for the end of slavery. Without him MLK would have just picked cotton.
Libra

Decatur, AL

#19 Aug 13, 2009
Costco keep all black dolls off the shelves. Most black people are always looking to use something about race to everything. They will probaly try to sue Costco. Black dolls haven’t been out that long and they probably won’t be much longer.
Cultured08

Swansea, MA

#20 Aug 13, 2009
I'm greatly offended. Why couldn't she be the pretty _____ or the little ______? The Lil'? Is lil' supposed to be ebonics, slang, or "hood". Why is the black doll not described using a real word, not Lil'. But lastly, the Obama girls were just called monkeys a few weeks ago on a blog I read. It's not okay to ever formally describe a black person or a black image as being a monkey! That term is unfortunately still used among ignorant groups and people who have issues with our race. I'm offended.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greensboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Boy Aug 21 Bobbyhill234 1
Review: BIT Security (Apr '11) Aug 18 RPL 23
bbw black woman (Feb '16) Aug 15 Smitty 4
The clintons need jail time Aug 15 road warrior hawk 1
News Author seeks photos of African-Americans Aug 13 Oh No You Di-nt 1
High earnings in Pleasant Garden NC versus others Aug 9 lmorris 1
News Program Helps Unemployed Dads Pay Child Support (Oct '10) Aug 8 designerdad87 69

Greensboro Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Greensboro Mortgages