Kitchen Con Artist Jailed in Greensboro

Kitchen Con Artist Jailed in Greensboro

There are 33 comments on the Fox 8 WGHP story from May 17, 2010, titled Kitchen Con Artist Jailed in Greensboro. In it, Fox 8 WGHP reports that:

A con artist who has served jail time in Tennessee and Georgia is now in a Greensboro jail after being accused of running a kitchen remodeling scam that victimized dozens of Piedmont residents.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox 8 WGHP.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
TAM

Clemmons, NC

#22 May 18, 2010
ILuvMKay wrote:
I agree with cPj. He is way better than the average con man. He got us too. He gets you by giving you an awesome deal so you get suckered into paying up front. He sells low quality products. Makes promises he never delivers on. Uses fabricators that can't speak English and don't know what they're doing. We had a month and a half of nightmares in our kitchen for a simple job that was supposed to take a week. Yeah, looking back we should've been suspicious. But at the time, it's easy to get suckered in with him unless you're experienced in having kitchens done !
I feel so bad that I didn't warn you guys in time. I know that we spoke after you signed the contracts and I wish I would have caught on to his scam before then. I myself didn't get paid the thousands of dollars he owed me for working for him. I hope that he goes away for a long long time. I have been contacted by the DA's office and I plan to help them anyway that I can.
MAD

Lexington, NC

#23 May 18, 2010
Yes I got scammed. And if he robbed Peter to pay Paul,someone tell Paul I want the rest of my cabinets and granite tops or my money. And as far as Dave is concerned he must like stoney lonesome. Three square meals,a cot a place to bathe and clean cloths, and we will pay that bill also. What's an honest person to do? Now we are all involved. I think he does have a mental illness that is being over looked. That combined with O.C.D. Maybe he has Criminal O.C.D. Lock him up. I will pray for his parents. I'm sure they are upset with him also. I could go on and on but I must stop.
honest cabinet woman

Sophia, NC

#24 May 18, 2010
I do not understand . I have to produce what I say I will provide. We are dragging through this recession and he is stealing from honest hard working people.
Why can he keep on doing this?
honest cabinet woman

Sophia, NC

#25 May 18, 2010
just the facts wrote:
you should always get a written estimate first, pay nothing down and only pay as the work is done, shame on you for paying first, made it easy for him...
We are required to pay our vendors deposits now. We can not return any cabinets or Granite once we order the material.Uncle Sam has made it almost impossible to produce kitchens without a deposit. Plus ,on construction loans the banks may hold a check until the house is complete. Try going 90 days with no pay and still pay employees, insurance and buy food.
Tom in NW GSO

Walkertown, NC

#26 May 18, 2010
Ya the dog he got me too
Steve Johnson

Walkertown, NC

#27 May 18, 2010
Always check the Greensboro Builders Association website before contracting with ANYONE to do ANY work, no matter the scope, schedule, or budget. If your contractor is not a member of the GBA, keep looking. GBA website: http://www.greensborobuilders.org/

Steve Johnson,
Principal Architect,
Southern Evergreen
http://www.southenrevergreen.com
Jimmy

Yadkinville, NC

#28 May 18, 2010
I feel really sorry for the people who were taken for their hard earned money. I'm not making excuses for his criminal acts, but something must have happened in his life to make him act the way he does. Back in high school, he was a good friend of mine; honest, kind and friendly. I'll be praying for those that got taken, but will also pray for David and his family. It was a real shocker to see his face on TV last night.
someone with a heart

Greensboro, NC

#31 May 22, 2010
cheated wrote:
give him a rope so he can commit suicide , beats honest citizens having to keep him up in jail.
That is the saddest thing a person can say about another human being. Have you ever made mistakes? Do you believe in god? After a relative hung themself because of stress thru my own experience it makes me sick that someone ...a human being would comment in such fashion. How sad that someone could say, post or wish that. I hope you can sleep at night. I wil pray for you. That is a quite disturbing comment.
no pity

Graham, NC

#32 May 23, 2010
someone with a heart wrote:
<quoted text> That is the saddest thing a person can say about another human being. Have you ever made mistakes? Do you believe in god? After a relative hung themself because of stress thru my own experience it makes me sick that someone ...a human being would comment in such fashion. How sad that someone could say, post or wish that. I hope you can sleep at night. I wil pray for you. That is a quite disturbing comment.
You say this, but this man is scum. He would rip you off in a heart beat. I have no pity for him. If he doesn't get put away for a long time for this, I will find him. and I'll be bringing the rope!
Home owner scammed

Advance, NC

#33 May 24, 2010
David Freeman quoted our job over $45,000 for a custom kitchen, hardwood flooring, finished basement and 3 bathrooms remodeled.
He never finished anything. I have no cabinets, he wrote two checks for flooring from closed accounts, never paid subs leaving me having to pay for things twice to avoid leins. This man paints a beautiful picture of what he will do and gives you a great price to do it. Calls you almost every day until he gets the draws for work to be done and then he does not call you anymore and does not pay anyone for materials or labor that you paid him for in the draws. He is the worst kind of criminal. He never intended to do the work. He steals from everyone he can. Be careful of people like him. I checked his references and they all said he was great just slow. People from his church, and neighbors that is how he works. Does a few good jobs for people close to him and uses them as references. Use local people and established contractors for your next project.
Home Owners hold tight to your money.
Discount Kitchen Direct

Morganton, NC

#34 May 29, 2010
Home owner scammed wrote:
David Freeman quoted our job over $45,000 for a custom kitchen, hardwood flooring, finished basement and 3 bathrooms remodeled.
He never finished anything. I have no cabinets, he wrote two checks for flooring from closed accounts, never paid subs leaving me having to pay for things twice to avoid leins. This man paints a beautiful picture of what he will do and gives you a great price to do it. Calls you almost every day until he gets the draws for work to be done and then he does not call you anymore and does not pay anyone for materials or labor that you paid him for in the draws. He is the worst kind of criminal. He never intended to do the work. He steals from everyone he can. Be careful of people like him. I checked his references and they all said he was great just slow. People from his church, and neighbors that is how he works. Does a few good jobs for people close to him and uses them as references. Use local people and established contractors for your next project.
Home Owners hold tight to your money.
I feel terrible for everyone who was scammed by this man. He even scammed the owner of a cabinet importing company I work with out of over $15,000.00 for displays that did not get paid for. I am already helping a lady in Advance who was devastated when Freeman ran off with her money. I will say that Honest Cabinet Lady above is correct by having to receive deposits for material. Retailers need to receive 1/2 up front to pay manufacturers deposit requirements and wholesalers such as myself must receive 100% up front. The economy has forced many manufacturers to do away with material on credit to dealers because there are so many builders/kitchen cabinet companies who have gone out of business due to the tough economy.
Fed Up with Idiots

Roxboro, NC

#35 Jun 3, 2010
someone with a heart wrote:
<quoted text> That is the saddest thing a person can say about another human being. Have you ever made mistakes? Do you believe in god? After a relative hung themself because of stress thru my own experience it makes me sick that someone ...a human being would comment in such fashion. How sad that someone could say, post or wish that. I hope you can sleep at night. I wil pray for you. That is a quite disturbing comment.
You're an idiot. I bet you're related to him. He's gonna get his!
Shane

Conyers, GA

#36 Apr 22, 2012
andy wrote:
yea i think his wife needs to pay me my money and ev1 else there money. maybe she needs to be in with him too.i agree with the street justice,it does not look like the law has done anything to slow him down.
Listen MF... Yeah WE ALL hate my lying dead beat father, but DO NOT bring my mother into it. She's as much as a victim as you, me, my other siblings, and everyone else.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greensboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
online clothing boutiques? (Feb '14) Jul 18 glamdollbbv 2
News Developing Story: Greensboro Officer-Involved S... (Sep '08) Jul 18 BKMARIONST 5
how is the boy in gboro? and where can I find some (Sep '15) Jul 16 Plzharder 3
cable tv Jul 11 customer 2
News Trump benefits from countries with anti-gay laws Jul 10 lides 53
News Filling the Need: Orthodontist one of few who a... (Sep '06) Jun '16 Single mother 339
News Program Helps Unemployed Dads Pay Child Support (Oct '10) Jun '16 Classof10 hamco 68

Greensboro Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Greensboro Mortgages