Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Carolina in 2010?

Posted in the Greensboro Forum

Comments (Page 1,362)

Showing posts 27,221 - 27,240 of54,810
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

emlu wrote:
<quoted text>I think you "liberals" should say not all rich are greedy. I can't remember a post where you differentiate. You lump all into one group, hence my confusion.
Then you are not reading my posts. I say it quite often. To the point of it being tedious. But you seem to see what you wish to see.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>These republican minded businessmen would not pay overtime unless the government demanded them to do so with regulations. Why? Because some people are just greedy and have a poor moral compass.
If Papa John wants to cut his employees hours so he can save a buck, he has that option. But as with all actions, they may have consequences. The bad PR may cause him to lose more than he would save. But it sounds as if Papa John is just trying to make a statement and could afford the losses. You see, he cares more for the republican agenda than he cares about his employees. That is just poor morals.
Seems like the republican mindset sees no need to have a moral code where business is concerned. I guess the bible did not have a rule about it.
People can quit that job and go find another, and yes if an owner of a Papa Johns has to cut hours, to keep from from going bankrupt, there might be consequences. That person probably had that figured out when he decided to own a business. As far as making a statement, if ANY business owner wants to use their business as a political statement, then they own the fallout from that decision.
TSF

Dunn, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

It would be nice if the republikan tooth fairy could just magically erase the national debt by reducing spending. However, that is not realistic for many reasons. One reason is the total misunderstanding of the seriousness of our situation by the public and congressmen so stupid as to not even understand the difference between the deficit and the debt. If we cut the deficit to zero, the national debt would remain at over 16 trillion dollars from now on, with us paying over 40% of our total tax collections for interest only payments on that debt. If we cut out government in its entirety and make the assumption(falsely) that persons and business would continue paying taxes at the present rates, it would take around 27 years to pay off the national debt if all monies were applied to debt service. That would mean 27 years of NO military, NO road maintenance, NO police, NO firemen, NO EMT service, NO health departments, NO environmental controls , NO crime control, NO national guard, NO NOTHING., The debt could be theoretically reduced, but our society would not survive even a year.
Unpleasant as it may be, heretical as it sounds, we have reached the point where our survival demands sacrifice from all. That includes the wealthy. God bless their poor oppressed little hearts.
The Enemy Within wrote:
I am reading and watching the news since the election ended and I am puzzled how so many people canít see how increasing taxes will hurt the economy.
I continue to hear people say ďIt wonít kill the country or hurt the rich if we raise taxes a little bit on millionaires.Ē
It is my opinion that our political "leaders" and some on this forum are completely missing the point. It's not that a small increase in taxes on the wealthy would kill the economy. It's that every tax increase hurts the economy.
Aside from the objectionable taking of private property from citizens that rightfully earned it, tax increases make the economy less efficient, reduce the economy's ability to grow and create jobs, and increases the size and power of a government that is already increasingly stifling freedom and the economy.
Maximizing government revenue should not be the goal of our government. Our goal for government is to maximize individual freedom and economic growth. Neither of these goals is achieved by maximizing government revenue.
Our leaders continue to say we have to raise taxes to reduce the deficit. This too is nothing but smoke and mirrors because government doesnít have a revenue problem, government has a spending problem. We can't fix a spending problem by increasing taxes, and a tax hike in exchange for growing government just a little less quickly won't fix the deficit. Further, increasing taxes will not help the business down the street expand and hire a new employee. It will do precisely the opposite.
When you here conservatives like myself oppose increasing taxes it's not just some political talking point, nor is it out of some irrational concern we have for taxpayers that have more money than we have.
Conservatives oppose tax increases because they're bad for the economy and our economy is bad enough already.

“ We are not permanent”

Since: Oct 08

Gaston County

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>"MY sacrifices and played within the rules set forth by our government. "
While you did not say this was your only guideline, due to yours and all the republican statements here, I deduce your kind sees regulations as all that you use to determine guidelines on how to treat employees for the most part. I hope I am wrong on this, but it just appears this way.
Your team says Papa John has the 'right' to reduce all employees to part time. Yes, this is true, but what just go by what is his 'right'? Why not do what is the right thing to do instead of what is within your 'rights'?
Attacking me on a personal level shows you have no good rebuttal.
The guidelines I speak of are the tax guidelines. They are totally separate in regards to how an employee is treated.

I know you are fully aware of this but as usual choose to ignore it to make your point.

My extremely low turnover rate speaks to how the employees are taking care of.

Letís not point fingers at anyone attacking someone else on a personal level. This is something you exceed at on your own quite well.
Black Panther

Gastonia, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>People who do not think to care for the employees that make them rich are just immoral. Many times it is due to greed. One can be rich and treat employees well at the same time. If government regulations are all that give you a guideline of how to treat an employee, then you should realize why government increases regulations. If you and your kind had a decent moral code to start with, their would be no need for the regulations.
Enter the greedy four titans of the 19th century: Rockerfeller, Vanderbilt, Carnegie and the great broker who got Mckinley(Repuke) elected; bought his presidency for $20,000 which in todays standards equals $20 million. Then enter Teddy who became McKinley's VP only to get him out of their way(btw-Teddy was a democrat)so they thought. Plan back-fired(pardon pun) and Teddy stepped up to become President.

There criminals were so rich they make Gates look like a normal multi-millionaire. Combined wealth of the greediest sob's for power not so much for wealth--BUT POWER was 2 billion which approx equals to ONE TRILLION TODAY. They didnt care about their workers, long hours, thousands of their employees mamed and killed in horrific and hazardous working condtions. Enter Teddy; things got better and enter my greatest titan Mr Henry Ford-for the people.

We are back to where the 4 criminals who essentially built America and said "F" the small businesses--we want it all. Btw small businesses account for an enormous amount of steady jobs/non-cut throat corp bs.

Case in point: Big corp who MONOPOLIZE AMERICA AND PAYS BILLIONS TO GET THEIR CRIMINAL IN OFFICE IS THE WAY IT WAS AND IS.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

emlu wrote:
<quoted text>Veto power goes a long way. Bill Gates is a private citizen and has power over HIS empire. Same with every other billionaire. Explain how the President just got a 40 million dollar house in Hawaii. With a little help from his friends. So did Clinton and Bush. People are being laid off because of the power of the President right now. Being scrutinized and criticized does not mean the President's policies will not passed. They may be "repealed" later. It's still a process.
You are blaming Obama for the greedy actions of a few. You are scapegoating.

Papa Johns is a billion dollar per year business. Papa's house is 40,000 Sf.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>These republican minded businessmen would not pay overtime unless the government demanded them to do so with regulations. Why? Because some people are just greedy and have a poor moral compass.
If Papa John wants to cut his employees hours so he can save a buck, he has that option. But as with all actions, they may have consequences. The bad PR may cause him to lose more than he would save. But it sounds as if Papa John is just trying to make a statement and could afford the losses. You see, he cares more for the republican agenda than he cares about his employees. That is just poor morals.
Seems like the republican mindset sees no need to have a moral code where business is concerned. I guess the bible did not have a rule about it.
Mike, I see all you can find to harp on is Papa John. Is Papa John the whole of the republican party? If Papa John doesn't care about taking a hit financially why should you? I don't know, but I guess Papa John started his pizza business from the ground up and whether you like it, I like it or anyone else, it's his business to do with what he wants. I don't see you harping on Bill Gates for outsourcing jobs. Is he an immoral democrat? What's the difference in cutting hours than cutting out jobs completely? Here's another example, Jeffrey Immelt, head of GE and Obama's jobs council, sent tens of thousans of jobs overseas and paid NOTHING in taxes. Is he an immoral democrat? There's plenty of blame to go around.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

emlu wrote:
<quoted text>People can quit that job and go find another, and yes if an owner of a Papa Johns has to cut hours, to keep from from going bankrupt, there might be consequences. That person probably had that figured out when he decided to own a business. As far as making a statement, if ANY business owner wants to use their business as a political statement, then they own the fallout from that decision.
Papa Johns is a 1.1 billion dollar per year business. It will cost them about 7 million to insure all of its employees. It is not going to make them go bankrupt.
The mandate did not bankrupt businesses in Massachusetts and it is not going to bankrupt businesses in America.
If a business goes bankrupt, blaming government is scapegoating.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Makin bacon wrote:
<quoted text>
Mike, I see all you can find to harp on is Papa John. Is Papa John the whole of the republican party? If Papa John doesn't care about taking a hit financially why should you? I don't know, but I guess Papa John started his pizza business from the ground up and whether you like it, I like it or anyone else, it's his business to do with what he wants. I don't see you harping on Bill Gates for outsourcing jobs. Is he an immoral democrat? What's the difference in cutting hours than cutting out jobs completely? Here's another example, Jeffrey Immelt, head of GE and Obama's jobs council, sent tens of thousans of jobs overseas and paid NOTHING in taxes. Is he an immoral democrat? There's plenty of blame to go around.
I am picking on Papa Johns because he is making a stink about the health care issue directly. I am thus using him as an example.
And I point the finger at any business person who puts greed before the welfare of his employees.
Again you point to what 'rights' he has instead of pointing to what is the right thing to do.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>"MY sacrifices and played within the rules set forth by our government. "
While you did not say this was your only guideline, due to yours and all the republican statements here, I deduce your kind sees regulations as all that you use to determine guidelines on how to treat employees for the most part. I hope I am wrong on this, but it just appears this way.
Your team says Papa John has the 'right' to reduce all employees to part time. Yes, this is true, but what just go by what is his 'right'? Why not do what is the right thing to do instead of what is within your 'rights'?
Attacking me on a personal level shows you have no good rebuttal.
JUST ASKING, who decides what the right thing is for who?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>You are blaming Obama for the greedy actions of a few. You are scapegoating.
Papa Johns is a billion dollar per year business. Papa's house is 40,000 Sf.
So what, Papa has the right to buy, build, whatever size house he wants. All the money spent acquiring that 40,000 sf house went to some construction with workers, building materials, etc you know this..
TSF

Dunn, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

My perspective is that I will pay overtime as an incentive to keep production moving after people are already tired and wanting to go home to their families and a hot meal. But when the figures show the operation becoming unprofitable as a result of the increased labor costs, you should send them home and resume operations when it again becomes profitable. To treat employees fairly and decently has a payoff unseen by the modern bean counter mentality. The equation has more variables than just immediate profit margin. Loyalty goes two ways. Not having to hire and retrain new persons who may not be honest, or not efficient, or incompetent
saves a lot of money in the long run. Beside just treating others according to the requirements of common decency, there is a profit benefit also. Most old fasioned social conventions were developed for sound reasons.
Mike Duquette wrote:

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I am picking on Papa Johns because he is making a stink about the health care issue directly. I am thus using him as an example.
And I point the finger at any business person who puts greed before the welfare of his employees.
Again you point to what 'rights' he has instead of pointing to what is the right thing to do.
Mike, I just rolled up my pants to walk around in this post because it's so full of BS. HOW MANY times have you gotten on here and spoken about the "rights" of people? You seem to forgot those "rights" you always harp on also extend beyond social issues. You take the good with the bad Mike and his rights to run his business as he pleases is no different than social rights you're in favor of.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Papa Johns is a 1.1 billion dollar per year business. It will cost them about 7 million to insure all of its employees. It is not going to make them go bankrupt.
The mandate did not bankrupt businesses in Massachusetts and it is not going to bankrupt businesses in America.
If a business goes bankrupt, blaming government is scapegoating.
I guess, since you brought up the house, that a construction co. can raise the cost per sq. ft. to cover his overhead, of course he may not get the contract and therefore have to layoff workers, I've seen it happen. 1.1 split up between how many independent business owners and each of them have different business plan and costs. Depending on where the business is free standing, mall, etc. Not to mention the state the business is located. Each state and municipality have their own taxes and fees of doing business. I really like to know where you got your numbers.

“ We are not permanent”

Since: Oct 08

Gaston County

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Judged:

ABC news release a report in September 2012 that stated the US Healthcare system wasted $750 billion in fiscal year 2009. The report from the Institute of Medicine and ďsuggested the money squandered on services that failed to improve Americansí health could have provided health insurance for more than 150 million workers or covered the salaries of all of the nationís first responders for more than 12 years.Ē

Maybe we should fix the root of the problem instead of shifting increasing costs to business owners, some of which WILL hire fewer people and cut hours.

Iíd rather have the freedom to choose my own healthcare plan than risk not having a job when employers canít keep up with government-forced investments in a failing healthcare system. All businesses are not the bad. Tighter regulation has already been put in place after the Enron, Tyco, GM, etc., cases.

Why are the taxpayers again being ask to bail out another failed industry?

The healthcare system hasnít been fiscally responsible and political leaders are playing on the taxpayers sympathy and emotions to push their agenda and ignore the issue that government has not and will not be anymore fiscally responsible than the industries they step in to "help".

http://abcnewsradioonline.com/health-news/tag...
James R Hoffa JR

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

All democrats bocott BMW if they don't
Go union piss on south Carolina
And Nikki Haily to
James R Hoffa JR

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

The Enemy Within wrote:
<quoted text>
The guidelines I speak of are the tax guidelines. They are totally separate in regards to how an employee is treated.
I know you are fully aware of this but as usual choose to ignore it to make your point.
My extremely low turnover rate speaks to how the employees are taking care of.
Letís not point fingers at anyone attacking someone else on a personal level. This is something you exceed at on your own quite well.
will you run for office
Always room for another dumbass in DC
TSF

Dunn, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Jimmy
When did they make an internet connection to the bottom of the Caldwell county landfill?
James R Hoffa JR

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

emlu wrote:
<quoted text>JUST ASKING, who decides what the right thing is for who?
Republicans with there voodoo economics
Now didn't you
James R Hoffa JR

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

TSF wrote:
Jimmy
When did they make an internet connection to the bottom of the Caldwell county landfill?
Caldwell Co.not even close

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 27,221 - 27,240 of54,810
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Greensboro Discussions

Search the Greensboro Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
spineless Hells angels supporters (Nov '09) Jul 7 Support 81 WorldWide 101
Daniel Lee Loftis Jul 6 scammy 5
Police Bust Leads to 6 Kilos of Cocaine, 3 Arrests (Oct '10) Jul 5 No Drugs 13
Inspiration for Former UNC Tar Heel James Daye Jul 4 Anonymous 2
Review: Gotcha Towing & Recovery (Aug '12) Jul 1 Darcy Webb 39
WTH Riders in the Cuntry???? Jun 29 Softweet 2
The James Daye dilemma - Blogs - The Buffalo Ne... Jun 28 IdeasandTruth 2
•••
•••