Greenlawn $900,000 fire vote surprise...

Greenlawn $900,000 fire vote surprises some

There are 123 comments on the Newsday story from Jul 28, 2008, titled Greenlawn $900,000 fire vote surprises some. In it, Newsday reports that:

The Greenlawn Fire district has scheduled a special election for today on a $900,000 bond proposal for construction improvements to the main firehouse.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Give me a break

Englewood, CO

#1 Jul 28, 2008
I think this is absurd. I'm tired of these guys never notifying anybody of any type of vote.You put it in the Long Islander? Oh ok, give me a break. Notify the public please! They don't want the public to know, they only want those they know to be notified to vote to get it passed.
Well, I hope it goes down as the taxes here are absurd. And the next time I pass by and seeing all these guys "working" as they drink their beers, hang out and all on the taxpayers dollar. And please don't tell me its all voluntary, there are tons of perks, tax write offs and incentives so please save me your argument for its voluntary. Have another meal and drink on the taxpayers!
Clear Vision

Brooklyn, NY

#2 Jul 28, 2008
Ha Ha Ha
there are signs and advertisements galore for the firehouse fundraiser events but they try to sneak these bond votes by the taxpayers. The town should delay this vote and have it on election day this November.
not surprised

Holbrook, NY

#3 Jul 28, 2008
hidden by design - such a dastardly approach. what a lowlife way to go about it. leaving the taxpayers with a bitter taste for having been mugged. Either it was necessary or not necessary but in either case the respectful thing to do would be to gather your best pitch with the figures to make your point and then ask the taxpayers to approve it. This is how many politicians handle themselves. I am ashamed what has become the norm here on Long Island.
Scotty

Port Jervis, NY

#4 Jul 28, 2008
Just hope all the whiners don't have house fires, I think the f.d. will have to obey every stop sign and speed limit sign they see on the way to your houses.
Scotty

Port Jervis, NY

#5 Jul 28, 2008
Oh yeah just remember these guys are VOLUNTEERING. Imagine how much more you'd have to pay if they were paid.
My opii

Milford, CT

#6 Jul 28, 2008
the volunteers would never allow it to go PAID
Jump on the Bandwagon

Amityville, NY

#7 Jul 28, 2008
The current proposal that this DISTRICT, is floating has nothing to do with the memberships comfort or perks. The proposal is to replace antiquated equiptment that is critical to the safe and timely response that the comunity it serves has come to rely on. the current emergency generator doesnt power the entire fire house or even all of the critical systems. The current dispatch console is no longer supported by motorola and the only parts you can get to fix it if it fails are used. Everybody starts jumping on newsdays bandwagon of !@#$ the volunteer fire districts, but non of you probably donate any time or mony to help your neighbors in need. And about the sneaky way that the district notified the public about the vote. How about how Newsday didnt think it was news worthy to write about untill 24 hrs before the vote happened. This paper knew about the public meeting that took place last week and chose to publish nothing about it until now. If they really cared about the tax payers they should have published something about the proposal meeting last week. Then perhaps somebody would have shown up to hear the proposal. Otherwise the district did what its was legaly obligated to do as far as public notification was concerned. If the people that read the notice dont care to show up and hear the proposal before the vote. Then i have no sympathy for them if their taxes go up.
LIer

Bronx, NY

#8 Jul 28, 2008
Its actually been proven that a professional paid fire service would not cost more and if anything it would be even cheaper if it were organized on the county or township level rather then each and every little community.

Also is it really necessary to have a firehouse of that size?
John

Clear Spring, MD

#9 Jul 28, 2008
Scotty wrote:
Oh yeah just remember these guys are VOLUNTEERING. Imagine how much more you'd have to pay if they were paid.
Not the point beam me up Scotty.
This is absurd.
Nancy

United States

#10 Jul 28, 2008
Belive it or not a paid county dept would save you millions! Each dept covers one area and they all have duplicate equipment....a ton of chiefs and other people that if they were all under one county dept would not need to be duplicated. Also you would have none of these suprise votes..no granite countertops in the kitchen, no flat screen tv's in every room, and no bathrooms that rival the ones in 5 Star hotels. Look at your tax bill. FD taxes are about 1/3rd of police taxes and each dept just covers one small area. The PD covers almost the enitre county. 1 PD commisioner, while each FD has one. I would bet there are over 30 commisioners for the FD's in Suffolk alone
Jim

Queens Village, NY

#11 Jul 28, 2008
This is a disgrace and shows how much the leadership of the GFD is out of touch with reality. It doesn't give a darn about residents, their current tax burdens or the state of the economy. They are clearly trying to sneak this thing through. Placing a legal ad is something that the law demands, but it doesn't absolve the district of the moral/ethical responsibility of informing the resident-taxpayers of the proposal and providing voter information. This is absolutely sickening. The waste, fraud and abuse in firehouses across Long Island is staggering. But, the state comptroller does nothing.
RealNYER

Brooklyn, NY

#12 Jul 28, 2008
LIer wrote:
Its actually been proven that a professional paid fire service would not cost more and if anything it would be even cheaper if it were organized on the county or township level rather then each and every little community.
Just like the school districts do.. Yeah right pal..LOL!! Go paid, and watch your taxes mirror the schools.
Former Vollie

AOL

#14 Jul 28, 2008
LIer wrote:
By whom? The IAFF?

http://www.nvfc.org/index.php...

Worker's comp claims and retirement pensions alone would bankrupt the county. Check out what's going on up in Boston for starters:

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/article/arti...
Suffolk County Resident

Deer Park, NY

#15 Jul 28, 2008
Why are fundraisers publicized & votes like this hidden?
____
I'm willing to bet that any contracts awarded for improvements will be "no bid" contracts given to people with close ties to the FD.
____
It's time to consolidate theses social clubs, as we have so many of them.
____
Real volunteers don't get pensions, tax breaks & ANY other perks.
____
I'm for people giving their time, but don't call yourselves volunteers until you know what the word means.
____
This is about spending OUR money wastefully without ANY oversight.
These so called "volunteers" do provide a valuable & needed service. But they are not really volunteers, because they get something in return.
____
I know that many "volunteers" will slam me & say they are entitled to these perks.
____
I volunteer for various charitable causes, but I do not expect ANYTHING in return other than the knowledge that I made a difference.
Former Vollie

AOL

#16 Jul 28, 2008
Suffolk County Resident wrote:
Why are fundraisers publicized & votes like this hidden?
____
I'm willing to bet that any contracts awarded for improvements will be "no bid" contracts given to people with close ties to the FD.
____
It's time to consolidate theses social clubs, as we have so many of them.
____
Real volunteers don't get pensions, tax breaks & ANY other perks.
____
I'm for people giving their time, but don't call yourselves volunteers until you know what the word means.
____
This is about spending OUR money wastefully without ANY oversight.
These so called "volunteers" do provide a valuable & needed service. But they are not really volunteers, because they get something in return.
____
I know that many "volunteers" will slam me & say they are entitled to these perks.
____
I volunteer for various charitable causes, but I do not expect ANYTHING in return other than the knowledge that I made a difference.
Wow. Could you DIE or get cancer or other diseases doing your volunteer job? Do you get up at 2 AM to volunteer after working a full day at your REAL job? And then go to work the next day, too? Do you spend hundreds of hours training and re-certifying each year?
Suffolk County Resident

Deer Park, NY

#17 Jul 28, 2008
Former Vollie wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow. Could you DIE or get cancer or other diseases doing your volunteer job? Do you get up at 2 AM to volunteer after working a full day at your REAL job? And then go to work the next day, too? Do you spend hundreds of hours training and re-certifying each year?
What's wrong....can't read the definition of volunteer in a dictionary.
If you must say things like that, you are a worthless human being.
Learn how to read.
I do know what a "volunteer fireman" is, because I used to be one.
______
I left because of the waste of taxpayers money & the sense of entitlement of 2nd & 3rd generation members.
All of LI can only hope you leave & never come back.
BTW...I work 65-80 hours per week at my real job. Then I volunteer with my family.
zzzz

Montague, NJ

#18 Jul 28, 2008
I regret to inform that there will be another vote and vote and vote and vote and vote for another $900,000 bond to re-work the defects for this $900,000 construction improvements to the main firehouse within a year.
hipshooting

Kings Park, NY

#19 Jul 28, 2008
Jump on the Bandwagon wrote:
The current proposal that this DISTRICT, is floating has nothing to do with the memberships comfort or perks. The proposal is to replace antiquated equiptment that is critical to the safe and timely response that the comunity it serves has come to rely on. the current emergency generator doesnt power the entire fire house or even all of the critical systems. The current dispatch console is no longer supported by motorola and the only parts you can get to fix it if it fails are used. Everybody starts jumping on newsdays bandwagon of !@#$ the volunteer fire districts, but non of you probably donate any time or mony to help your neighbors in need. And about the sneaky way that the district notified the public about the vote. How about how Newsday didnt think it was news worthy to write about untill 24 hrs before the vote happened. This paper knew about the public meeting that took place last week and chose to publish nothing about it until now. If they really cared about the tax payers they should have published something about the proposal meeting last week. Then perhaps somebody would have shown up to hear the proposal. Otherwise the district did what its was legaly obligated to do as far as public notification was concerned. If the people that read the notice dont care to show up and hear the proposal before the vote. Then i have no sympathy for them if their taxes go up.
Wow, this might be a real fast draw, maybe ahead of any real evaluation and report data. Instead of grabbing funds from tax overburdened residents, why not have a study report issued with all the ailments, obsolete systems, and other control system and auxilary system pitfalls, BEFORE acting to get the bank account filled with $900,000 in funds?
Then the next appropriate step is to have the public meeting with questions from taxpayers about what we are funding. Your building appears a 100 years ahead of most NYC fire Department buildings that are really antiquated and yet these NYC firemen are able to function with the equipment and facilities they must live with.
The public isn't a bottomless pit for money, and there should be some independent scrutiny of this proposed budget and expenditure, so it isn't purely evaluated for appropriateness by the local Fire Dept.
Crabbe

Bridgeport, CT

#20 Jul 28, 2008
The funny thing is, the Long Islander, the newspaper with the notification of the special election, never makes it from the driveway to the front door... First the sprinklers wet it, then the nearest trash can... How Tricky!
Col Gary

Marco Island, FL

#21 Jul 28, 2008
The notice was under the ad for K Y Jelly. Your going to need it. Get off your arzes folks, your getting it stuck up your u know what.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greenlawn Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Kings Park residents want more police around ps... 12 hr Sandra Sue Rounds 2
i want the old brentwood back (Apr '07) 13 hr Calvin 1,417
Looking for female american bulldog to breed with! (Jan '12) 13 hr Sally Forth 35
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) Fri Bruser 2,649
News Islip OKs tax breaks for B & S Fragrances & Cos... Fri true independent 1
News Standoff ends peacefully in Huntington (May '08) Jul 19 Steam roller 85
News Bay Shore Marina parking meters begin operation... Jul 18 rabid tabby 9

Greenlawn Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Greenlawn Mortgages