Charges Filed In LI Chimney Sweep Scam

Full story: WCBSTV.com 325
A chimney sweep and his helper pleaded not guilty Thursday to grand larceny and other charges after a prosecutor said they scammed mostly elderly customers into getting unnecessary and expensive repairs. Full Story
First Prev
of 17
Next Last
Dick

Mount Sinai, NY

#1 Feb 3, 2006
More trash to get off the streets
Lock them up and throw the key down the chimney
peterbrodie

UK

#3 Feb 17, 2006
in liverpool people who scam the elderly get a jolly good thrashing
john

Pelham, NY

#4 Feb 21, 2006
Dick wrote:
More trash to get off the streets
Lock them up and throw the key down the chimney
, I am tired of hearing about the elderly being scammed if they are not competent to make basic decisions they should not be left unassisted, Where are there family's, usually waiting for the lawyers call and what there going to get
Another John

Freeport, NY

#5 Feb 21, 2006
john wrote:
<quoted text>, I am tired of hearing about the elderly being scammed if they are not competent to make basic decisions they should not be left unassisted, Where are there family's, usually waiting for the lawyers call and what there going to get
Yeah - those incompetent old folks should just be put away somewhere so that they don't get you scamming scum in trouble. Lovely logic you got there pal.....
Regina Falangi and Poof

Brooklyn, NY

#6 Feb 24, 2006
The owner should be held fully responsible b/c he obviously isn't dealing with a full deck. If his workers were unaware then it wasn't their fault. I've been following this story and this owner guy is a WACK JOB LOSER! He lets his dog loose on a cop, come on give me a break, MORON! I hope the owner guy gets his chimney swept, lol! If the workers did know then they are losers as well! Good Job to the Conneticut cops & Long Island cops for catching these dirtbags! Anyone can be scammed by chimney companies, not just the elderly, thats just who they happened to target. So leave the damn elderly alone!
John

Pelham, NY

#7 Mar 14, 2006
Another John wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah - those incompetent old folks should just be put away somewhere so that they don't get you scamming scum in trouble. Lovely logic you got there pal.....
It doesn't matter if your elderly or not, a scam should not be tolerated, maybe you did not understand my comment, why are incompetent elderly folks left alone to get scammed, Your mom or dad raise you, care for you and then they get old and you don't take care of them, because if you did scamming the elderly would not be so easy or common place. I think the scammers should be locked up in the same cell with the people who don't take care of there elderly relatives and allow them to be scammed. Stop waiting for a check, that is a scam in itself no matter what you tell yourself to get to sleep at night. Do you understand the logic now or do i have to use smaller words.
jeff

AOL

#8 Mar 14, 2006
Anyone who thinks they can get a honest chimney sweep for $20 deserves to be scammed I mean really would you go to someones house climb on their roof and sweep their chimney then suck out all the soot ,pay for advertizing ,and insurance etc all for $20 I don`t think so.When in need of chimney work only use C.S.I.A certified sweeps to insure professional service.
John

Pelham, NY

#9 Mar 15, 2006
Regina Falangi and Poof wrote:
The owner should be held fully responsible b/c he obviously isn't dealing with a full deck. If his workers were unaware then it wasn't their fault. I've been following this story and this owner guy is a WACK JOB LOSER! He lets his dog loose on a cop, come on give me a break, MORON! I hope the owner guy gets his chimney swept, lol! If the workers did know then they are losers as well! Good Job to the Conneticut cops & Long Island cops for catching these dirtbags! Anyone can be scammed by chimney companies, not just the elderly, thats just who they happened to target. So leave the damn elderly alone!
I take an exception that anyone can be scammed by chimney companies. There is only 1 reason that these type of chimney companies are still around, and thats because people like to think that they can get their chimney cleaned for $20.00 rather then the $125.00 a legitimate chimney company charges! You might be asking yourself what qualifies me to make this comment? Oh, I dont know, it could be half the calls I get on a daily basis asking me "how much for a chimney cleaning?" ($125.00) and their responses are "Oh, I saw it for $20.00 or $30.00, but thanks anyway." YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, ESPECIALLY IN THIS BUSINESS! Everyone complains "Get those chimney scammers in jail!" and on the same token they are the same people trying to save a buck and feeding the machine. Just a note from a legitimate chimney profesional. Don't accept phone solitications. Check with consumer affairs about a companys record. Check to see if they have any CSIA & NFI certified technicians on staff and if the chimney cleaning cost's less than $90.00, you are most definitley going to get scammed because you can not make a dime doing chimney cleaning for anything less...Think about it....With the price of gas and insurance these days, would YOU carry a heavy ladder, and tools up a sometimes snowy and icy roof, sometimes risking your life for $20 bucks?????? Thats the scam, and you people keep asking for more by letting those crooks into your home for a "$20.00 chimney cleaning".
TMU

AOL

#10 Mar 24, 2006
Regina Falangi and Poof wrote:
Good Job to the Long Island cops for catching these dirtbags!!
HAHA Long Island police is the biggest scam going.....Noone investigates them until someone retires with $500,000 in owed vacation and sick time and a $150,000 pension...give me a break.....then they wonder why Nassau County is broke.....In regards to the chimney co's ..... there are good and there is bad....Like said B4 only use a CSIA certified sweep...
cliff chimney medic

AOL

#11 May 26, 2006
NOT TRUE ! Not all chimney companys are out there scaming,I resend the fact of being put into a catagory with crack heads and heroin addicts. It is not impossible to be a low priced sweep,and to do the right thing by all.

SO LETS LEAVE THE LITTLE GUYS ALONE
cliff chimney medic

AOL

#12 May 26, 2006
ACTUALLY WE ARE ONLY CHARGING $29.99 FOR A COMPLETE CLEANING AND A EXTENSIVE 20 POINT FIRE AND SAFETY INSPECTION.
Phyl

Bridgewater, NJ

#14 May 26, 2006
I don't think berating anyone who has been ripped off is the answer. There must be some way to catch these guys? I just saw an episode of Help Me Howard, and before that didn't think that I was ripped off, now I'm pretty sure I was. All we wanted was a safe situation for our family. I wish I knew where to turn now? Any suggestions? By the way, I think it is totally disgusting for these creeps to take advantage of new homeowners, the elderly and those new to the country. How was I to know?
Chris

Pelham, NY

#15 May 26, 2006
cliff chimney medic wrote:
ACTUALLY WE ARE ONLY CHARGING $29.99 FOR A COMPLETE CLEANING AND A EXTENSIVE 20 POINT FIRE AND SAFETY INSPECTION.
How do you think you can tell people honestly that you can come to there house do a proper chimney cleaning and on top of that inspect there chimney for $29.00, lets face it you cant make a penny and are in the hole before you even start your day, With the cost of gas, vehicle (maintence, repair, payments), Advertising, Insurance, Payroll, Tools and supplies, Rent and office cost's, Licensing, continued education costs and more just to name a few. The scam Cliff Kearns that you perpetrate is to offer a low price chimney cleaning that you cant possibly make money on to get your foot in the door and sell alot of products and repairs that may or may not be needed. I also think its funny that you refer to drug addicts when you have been smoking pot on the job for about 20 years now and have been the subject of many suffolk county consumer affairs stings under other company names that you have owned and worked for, so keep the BS to yourself and do the greater public some good and get a job at Mc Donalds
JERK OFFS

AOL

#16 May 30, 2006
to rip off old people like that you people have no heart and are a bunch off trailer park fagots that never got caught by someone that that has any balls to bust your punk ass faces in, you people are q buch of fools and are so lucky you never got to my grandmother or you would of had to pay the ultimate price a first class as whoppin u a holes
Jay levittown

Medford, NY

#17 May 31, 2006
cliff chimney medic wrote:
Whats a "20 point inspection"? Thats number one on the scam list, along with your $29.99 cleaning. There is no "20, 12, 30 etc." point inspection recognized by any organization or authority. There is however a level one, two and three inspection that is recognized by the NFPA. If you do a 20 point inspection I will do a 35 point 5 dull point and one upside down point for only $15 dollars if you act now. Its pretty funny how you lie to your self and act like your telling the truth and dont know your scaming people.
Chimneyman Long Island

AOL

#18 Jun 9, 2006
29.95????????? I started sweeping chimneys 25 years ago and back then I charged 60.00 I now charge 155.00 and I'm considered low by national standards. A CSIA, NFI or FIRE Certified Chimney Sweep should have no problem getting that price.
Kay

AOL

#19 Jun 15, 2006
I was scammed! WATCH OUT for SAFE N CLEAN
STEVEN SUNDQUIST is the scumbag. There is a warrant out for his arrest in CT already. I'm told this guy follows the real estate market and they called and told me that they had serviced my house every yr. and it was time for my annual cleaning and I FELL FOR IT!!! Call Department of Consumer Protection because there are dectives that are trying to stop these people. In the meantime...he might want to hide his family and watch his kneecaps! hehehe
chimney1234

Bronx, NY

#20 Jul 6, 2006
I have a company and we just started this year and it's a hard business and I've seen how dirty this business is. If you go around scamming people you are really just cheating yourself.So start slow and get everything you need to be in business properly and legally,If you don't do this you will be in trouble.
old lady wrote

AOL

#21 Jul 8, 2006
Another John wrote:
<quoted text>
If old folks were not left alone so much to fin for themself, maybe there would be no need for scam artist to come around. When the work needs done, they must depend on outside help, and pray the contractors are honest. Don't slam the old, give them a hand.
THE GOOD

Medford, NY

#22 Jul 30, 2006
the csia,is bull,you pay dues to these people.most of the chimney thiefs belong to these type of things.BBB,CHIMNEY GUILD,CSIA,ECT.TELLING PEOPLE TO DEAL WITH THE CHIMNEY COMPANYS THAT BELONG IS TELLING THEM TO GET RIPPED OFF.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 17
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greenlawn Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 6 hr Itchy Watch 2,314
What happened to RObert MAyer? (Aug '13) 7 hr Lisa 1,930
Review: Sahdev Devinder (Dec '10) 11 hr John 15
Cops raid W. Islip bar, arrest owners, bartenders (Jan '08) Oct 20 tim21 239
Review: Demi's Coffee S Oct 20 Foodie 1
"Raunchy Joker But Harmless?" Oct 19 Jeff Kelly 1
commack resident janet koch is new exec. dir. o... Oct 18 DHF1147 1

Greenlawn News Video

Greenlawn Dating
Find my Match