Site plan for East Northport housing project OKd

Jan 14, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Newsday.com

More than three decades after it was first proposed, the Matinecock Court affordable housing development in East Northport is one step closer to being built.

Comments
1 - 20 of 56 Comments Last updated Jun 5, 2011
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Linda

Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jan 15, 2010
 
make it all affordable housing with no rentals
James

East Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jan 16, 2010
 

Judged:

2

This is one of the worst things you can do to a homeowners community. Rentals will bring down our property value and crime will rise in the area. I am sure of this. Not to mention the 80 some odd rental units will be right across the street from one of our elementary schools and directly next to our high school. The people that reside in these rentals will be taking advantage of our school district but not paying one red cent in property tax to support the schools they'll be sending their kids to. We have to do everything legally possible to stop this from happening.
Middle class white man

Morganville, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jan 17, 2010
 
The Concerned Citizens have about 200 issues that have not been resolved.

We'll SUE the town (and Sue L. too) if someone spits in the wrong direction.
Very Concerned

East Northport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jan 17, 2010
 

Judged:

1

What can be done to stop this. I want to get involved. We live too close to where this will be built. The traffic, congestion- our property value falling. It must be stopped!
Bill Huntington

Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jan 19, 2010
 
So where is the petition against it so we can go sign it??
Bill Huntington

Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jan 19, 2010
 
Bill Huntington wrote:
So where is the petition against it so we can go sign it??
Will there be a hiring hall provided on the site?I see in the newsday artical Petrone said huntington needs more afordable housing.
Starquisha

Commack, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jan 20, 2010
 

Judged:

3

2

Good, the northport-east northport area needs some diversity and all the people trying stop this are a bunch of ignorant crybabys all worried about there property value......grow up peckerwoods.
ETM

Smithtown, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jan 20, 2010
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Starquisha wrote:
Good, the northport-east northport area needs some diversity and all the people trying stop this are a bunch of ignorant crybabys all worried about there property value......grow up peckerwoods.
Starquisha,
Why do we need diversity? We are alway hearing divirsity is our greatest strength. What wonders will members of other communities bring to the table? Because I live and breathe and also read and watch the news I know the answer. I would however be interested in knowing what you believe are the top 3 strengths of the low-income community. Here is an idea why don't these culturally enriching individuals remain in there present community and work toward improving that neighborhood. I am no longer afraid of being thought of or accused of being a racist. You say we are ignorant. Ignorant of what? Here are the Facts!!
Low income housing brings drugs, violence, overburdened schools and police. And yes we are concerned about our propoerty values. We were able to live in this community because we saved our money for down payments and work hard to pay our ridiculous property taxes. But our politicians want to let people who have not done any of these things get the opportunity to live here without sacrificing as we have.
max

Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jan 21, 2010
 

Judged:

1

ETM wrote:
<quoted text>
Starquisha,
Why do we need diversity? We are alway hearing divirsity is our greatest strength. What wonders will members of other communities bring to the table? Because I live and breathe and also read and watch the news I know the answer. I would however be interested in knowing what you believe are the top 3 strengths of the low-income community. Here is an idea why don't these culturally enriching individuals remain in there present community and work toward improving that neighborhood. I am no longer afraid of being thought of or accused of being a racist. You say we are ignorant. Ignorant of what? Here are the Facts!!
Low income housing brings drugs, violence, overburdened schools and police. And yes we are concerned about our propoerty values. We were able to live in this community because we saved our money for down payments and work hard to pay our ridiculous property taxes. But our politicians want to let people who have not done any of these things get the opportunity to live here without sacrificing as we have.
You are absolutely right-if you want to live here work for it!!
loulou

Massapequa, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jan 21, 2010
 

Judged:

1

My husband is a police officer in the village of Rockville Centre for over 15 years. I also lived and owned a business in the town. We have since moved out of the town. Ask any person who owns a home in RVC what affordable housing has done to their home values and quality of living. I can honestly say the majority of the people living in the projects are nothing more than criminals. The amount of gang activity and over all crime in that area is mind blowing and is only getting worse. Most people have no idea the extent of what is happening in their own backyards. I know for a fact that there are shootings, rapes, domestic violence, burglary, robbery, rioting and murder all brought on by the people living in these projects. Your children will be going to school with the offspring of these animals and every aspect of your child’s school environment will be affected by them. Oh and don’t be fooled by the school ratings in RVC. I know two teachers in the town that told me first hand how they “fix” that problem. The scores are completely manipulated by throwing out all the low scores-and wonder who has the low scores...
What angers me about this is we were really considering Northport to live. It’s such a beautiful town that seems to have a nice mix of people. But since learning about the affordable housing coming in we will never consider living there. What is sad about all this is most middle class white people are so afraid of being considered a “stupid racist” that they allow what they know is wrong and what will hurt their own families and community to happen. Don’t let the politicians lie to you and fight for your town before you become another Rockville Centre.
The Kid From Brklyn

West Babylon, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jan 25, 2010
 
There's an old saying, "YOU CAN'T FIGHT CITY HALL." The bottom line is there is nothing you can do to prevent what is going to happen. Local resident meetings, sueing or protests, the affordable housing is coming to a local corner near you.
Dave

West Babylon, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jan 26, 2010
 

Judged:

1

Actually, I can't wait for the affordable housing to come. I sometimes like to go out in the middle of the night to buy cigarettes and now I'll have some new 24 hour bodegas to purchase them from. I might also pick up some rolling papers while I am there. Unfortunately I won't be able to get to personally know the employee working there because he is going to be behind 6 inches of bullet proof glass.
Anonymous

Brentwood, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jan 27, 2010
 
Starquisha wrote:
Good, the northport-east northport area needs some diversity and all the people trying stop this are a bunch of ignorant crybabys all worried about there property value......grow up peckerwoods.
Your house is probably worth nothing thats why you are not concerned witht this. Also, you live in huntington station, so why are you concerned about what happens in East Northport.
DeeCee

Paterson, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jan 28, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

So so many people are concerned with being politically correct and idiots like shaquira or whoever she is doesnt get it. I grew up in brooklyn, in a slum. got mugged at least 10 times. I went to college, my wife did as well. we worked hard with 60 hour work weeks to finally afford a house and pay the insane taxes. Are we to feel guilty to protect our values? We are 60 miles from MYC and commute at 4:30 am, we need this headache? We could have stayed in the city. But if you open your mouth youre a racist. remember this in november. I will NEVER again vote for any democrat. They are the ones who made this happen. My for sale sign is up and I pray i get someone. Shaquira perhaps? Nah, I am sure she never plans on owning, only mooching off the hard work of others. But hey, all we are worried about are our prop values.
DeeCee

Paterson, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jan 28, 2010
 

Judged:

1

max wrote:
<quoted text>You are absolutely right-if you want to live here work for it!!
this is sadly a done deal. and to top it off, i hear we will all be forced to anti up a rather large prop tax increase of 1000-2000 in order to pay for the schools and services these deadbeats will need since the state is cutting off funding. So we will need to pay 2 grand for the people who are destroying our property values. what a country isnt it folks. We are the bad guys. But it goes hand in hand with what is going on in DC. We need to take our country back one vote at a time. Remember this in November. This is for you, for your family.
Chris T

West Babylon, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jan 30, 2010
 

Judged:

1

Stop the Matinecock Court housing development project in East Northport, NYclear
- http://www.facebook.com/...
Cheeba

Commack, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jan 31, 2010
 
Word, I cant wait til the houseing projects come so we can go beaner jumping like the kids in patchouge.
Juan Garcia

West Babylon, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jan 31, 2010
 
Hey Amigos. No puedo esperar para la vivienda para llegar a East Northport. Realmente necesito un lugar para vivir, mientras que todos los que usted paga por ello. Gracias a nuestro gran Presidente de los Estados Unidos por esta opurtunidad. No puedo esperar para toda mi familia de México a vivir con nosotros y el uso de las Escuelas de Northport.
WTF

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Feb 1, 2010
 
Huh?
William

Commack, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Feb 1, 2010
 
Cheeba wrote:
Word, I cant wait til the houseing projects come so we can go beaner jumping like the kids in patchouge.
C'mon man thats not cool, don't joke about something like that. I know your probally a dumb kid makeing stupid comments but that just wasnt right or funny. But anyway i think the public houseing will be a good thing for northport and the community showing them diffferent types of people.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Greenlawn Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 13 hr Bruser 2,282
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) Tue College Professor 6,391
What happened to RObert MAyer? (Aug '13) Tue Charlotte 1,594
What happened (Jun '11) Aug 17 ScottLINY 2
i want the old brentwood back (Apr '07) Aug 17 Skip Mastermaker 1,325
Review: Bella Fence Company (Sep '13) Aug 16 Mike 8
American Home Mortgage chief Michael Strauss ta... (Aug '07) Aug 11 Alice Broadhurst 40

Search the Greenlawn Forum:
•••

Greenlawn News Video

•••
•••

Greenlawn Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Greenlawn People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Greenlawn News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Greenlawn
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••