Comments
21 - 40 of 1,337 Comments Last updated Yesterday
Lexy

AOL

#21 May 29, 2007
Vee wrote:
<quoted text>Tomatoes 4 pounds for one dollar. I was there at least once a week with my mom and nana. I remember the mall before it was closed in, too. And Baraccini. The farmer's market across the street, where I was every single weekend and the pickle guy in there, made the half sour, wow!Indian nuts, I bet you never even heard of them. On Rt 111, near Dairy Queen there was a farm stand, I would go every weekend and buy up their corn on the cob, I could never get enough of it. I miss the farm stands like that. I could not believe it when Yellow top closed down. I remember when D Q went chocolate and gave Carvel a run for their money. Hansel and Gretle cold cuts was the rage. Remember Korvettes? Fortunoffs? We bought that crappy Veg O Matic in there after watching the demonstration.
Ok, you got me!! Don't know what indian nuts are! I remember getting my haircut at the Farmers Market Salon. I guy named Larry, gave me the most beautiful, feathered haircuts of all time!! My friends mom, worked for one of the pocketbook vendors, I think his name was Marty?? We used to get the best looking pocketbooks!!

I loved Carvel. I used to go to the one on Brentwood Road, next to Cinderella's Bakery. Yummy, those were the days. I lived in Bayshore, right on the border of Brentwood, so I spend my days in both towns!!

We had a little deli by us, called Katrinkas. What happened to those days?? I remember riding bikes with my little brother and sister over at St. Josephs Academy on Brentwood Road. Those grounds were so gorgeous. We used to pick apples, and the Nun's never minded.

Ah, who coud forget Korvettes!! How about Hamptons, on Sunrise Highway?? My parents bought my sister and me bunk beds from there!

By the way, I also love Dennis Farina!!:)

Vee

“Man Of Every Hour”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#22 May 29, 2007
Lexy wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, you got me!! Don't know what indian nuts are! I remember getting my haircut at the Farmers Market Salon. I guy named Larry, gave me the most beautiful, feathered haircuts of all time!! My friends mom, worked for one of the pocketbook vendors, I think his name was Marty?? We used to get the best looking pocketbooks!!
I loved Carvel. I used to go to the one on Brentwood Road, next to Cinderella's Bakery. Yummy, those were the days. I lived in Bayshore, right on the border of Brentwood, so I spend my days in both towns!!
We had a little deli by us, called Katrinkas. What happened to those days?? I remember riding bikes with my little brother and sister over at St. Josephs Academy on Brentwood Road. Those grounds were so gorgeous. We used to pick apples, and the Nun's never minded.
Ah, who coud forget Korvettes!! How about Hamptons, on Sunrise Highway?? My parents bought my sister and me bunk beds from there!
By the way, I also love Dennis Farina!!:)
You need to go to OFFBEAT and post with the rest of us. We are all friends there. You will find a lot of people to talk to, Franko,Mommy Of Four, Lasunshine,Grace, Eleanor, come join us and tell everyone I invited you. Introduce yourself!!!! We have all been friends for mseveral years now and we welcome you to join us!!!! It is a lot of fun!!!!!!Right now we have a TROLL on the George Miller is gay forum and trying to get rid of him!!!!!
Lexy

AOL

#23 May 29, 2007
Vee wrote:
<quoted text>You need to go to OFFBEAT and post with the rest of us. We are all friends there. You will find a lot of people to talk to, Franko,Mommy Of Four, Lasunshine,Grace, Eleanor, come join us and tell everyone I invited you. Introduce yourself!!!! We have all been friends for mseveral years now and we welcome you to join us!!!! It is a lot of fun!!!!!!Right now we have a TROLL on the George Miller is gay forum and trying to get rid of him!!!!!
I would love to!! What is the link for offbeat?? Thank you so much for the invite!!

Vee

“Man Of Every Hour”

Location hidden

#24 May 29, 2007
Lexy wrote:
<quoted text>
I would love to!! What is the link for offbeat?? Thank you so much for the invite!!
scroll down to the bottom of the screen you are on and click on OFFBEAT. Once you get in there, scroll down and find the words READ ALL COMMENTS. Click on that and just pick one.

“My dog Ali.”

Location hidden

#25 May 29, 2007
Lexy wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello Lexy,
This is for you. I am Grace, a close friend of Vee's and everything she said above, I second:

She asked me if I could advise you how to arrive at OFFBEAT..

I suggest if you google> ''Offbeat forum'' Topix. just as I wrote it,

it will come up and you are straight there.. look forward to meeting you there.
Grace:
Lexy

AOL

#26 May 29, 2007
Thank you for the information. I found the link at the bottom.

Nice to meet you Grace!

I will be back on tomorrow. My sister just had her 3rd child Saturday, a beautiful, boy, and I am going over to visit tonight, and it's also my nephews 8th birthday.

Vee

“Man Of Every Hour”

Location hidden

#27 May 29, 2007
Lexy wrote:
Thank you for the information. I found the link at the bottom.
Nice to meet you Grace!
I will be back on tomorrow. My sister just had her 3rd child Saturday, a beautiful, boy, and I am going over to visit tonight, and it's also my nephews 8th birthday.
Grace e mailed me at home and asked specifically if you made it to Offbeat. I will definately let her know you will join in the fun tomorrow. I work nights so usually between 4 and 10 I am not around. But I make up for it. ha ha ha.
joe a

AOL

#28 Jul 24, 2007
that dirt road behind . we had another name for it ---T's creak :) LOL.siting at the bottom of brentwood park sipping on a cold beer on a hot day. Memorial day parades in town all the F.D. stations had at least 1 fire truck their. and every scool band in town was their. man what i would give for a real hot pastromi on rye with swiss cheese. dang a lousy Kanish. the fireworks shows at bayshore marina. we would go their after we got done blowing up the streets here at home. :) how about a ECLEAR. mine was chacolate. i can,t rember the name of the place, but it was on fifth ave. near the corner fron suffolf ave. THANKS GUY joe a. col. mo.
joe a

AOL

#29 Jul 24, 2007
dang. behind the knoll farm sorry.
lisa

Lakeland, FL

#30 Aug 5, 2007
They had the best onions. Boy I wish I had that recipe. I went to school with Jeanie, whose parents owned Charlies..I am 1000 miles from Charlies but would do anything to have a hotdog with oions right now!!!!!!!!!!
lisa

Lakeland, FL

#31 Aug 5, 2007
Does anyone remember the stand in Farmers market that sold zeppoles,they made these cheese pies that were almost like calzones,they were round about 5 inches in diameter and they kept them hot under the lights. I think they called them cazzorella mozzorella or something like that.. Or Jays Italian resaurant...Oh my that was good Italian food..

Vee

“Man Of Every Hour”

Location hidden

#32 Aug 5, 2007
If you log on to secret recipe onion sauce you will get the sabrett onion sauce recipe for your hot dogs.It is 99 percent authentic. Been cooking it up for years. Without the hot dog truck!
joe a

AOL

#33 Aug 6, 2007
lisa wrote:
Does anyone remember the stand in Farmers market that sold zeppoles,they made these cheese pies that were almost like calzones,they were round about 5 inches in diameter and they kept them hot under the lights. I think they called them cazzorella mozzorella or something like that.. Or Jays Italian resaurant...Oh my that was good Italian food..
zeppoles,I make zeppoles,an when i do,cant make enough of em.people around these parts never herd of them.back in 81 82 made them in a supossed italian restaurant,in columbia mo. 6 for a buck.:}
LFP

United States

#34 Aug 8, 2007
Does anyone know if Charlie's is still under the same ownership? As someone noted, it is indeed, still there. I don't remember the round Italian cakes sold at the farmer's market but I do remember cheesecake sold there, on occasion, and the smell of the fruit. When did the farmers market come down? I was shopping at Rockbottom at that site circa 1985, so it must have been before then. I remember the drive-in and the outdoor mall. Does anyone recall the crazy rumors surrounding the mall circa 1980? About the murderer, when people were afraid to go there at night? I have heard from several sources that it did involve a police cover-up, despite official denials. My friend's aunt was an emergency room nurse at Southside at that time and she remembers bodies being brought in (of victims at the mall) and being instructed to "keep quiet." Sounds implausible, I know, but she still maintains it was true.
Dune

Nashville, TN

#35 Aug 8, 2007
Wow all great memories,,I know these are in Commack but....

Commack Motor Inn, 1st taco bell, Tiffany's,Motorpwky Diner,Greengate park.

closer to home, Parades,with real tanks, and working in Micky Dee's...Iga supermarket, Clark St.
Dune

Nashville, TN

#36 Aug 8, 2007
lisa wrote:
Wasn't there a record store in the Market?

Vee

“Man Of Every Hour”

Location hidden

#37 Aug 8, 2007
Dune wrote:
<quoted text>
Wasn't there a record store in the Market?
Yes! I bouhgt a zillion 45 rpms from there, it helped my collection. Then there was the pickle section. And the candy section with the cotton candy machine and this big fat 500 pound guy who ran the place. Outside all those fruits and veggies. They had all kinds of nuts there, too.Right across the street from the South Shore Mall.
tmorelli

Myrtle, MS

#38 Aug 9, 2007
Ahhh Brentwood, who could forget it. I moved my family from Sheepshead Bay Bklyn to Brentwood in 1960 so my kids would have a better life. And they did. We bought a home on Fourth St and my wife and I thought we had moved to the country. Then I bought old Dr. Ross's home on Suffolk Ave next to Knoll farms and my daughter took riding lessons. My kids went to Ross and Sonderling and then all three graduated Maslow Toffler and were the better for it. No, as far as I am concerned there were no bad times until 1998 when Brentwood and the area surrounding it had changed to the point where we had to learn a new language or move. We moved. Out of State. To a whole new environment. And both sad and happy for it. I will say this much , Tennessee is beautiful and so are the people.

Vee

“Man Of Every Hour”

Location hidden

#39 Aug 9, 2007
tmorelli wrote:
Ahhh Brentwood, who could forget it. I moved my family from Sheepshead Bay Bklyn to Brentwood in 1960 so my kids would have a better life. And they did. We bought a home on Fourth St and my wife and I thought we had moved to the country. Then I bought old Dr. Ross's home on Suffolk Ave next to Knoll farms and my daughter took riding lessons. My kids went to Ross and Sonderling and then all three graduated Maslow Toffler and were the better for it. No, as far as I am concerned there were no bad times until 1998 when Brentwood and the area surrounding it had changed to the point where we had to learn a new language or move. We moved. Out of State. To a whole new environment. And both sad and happy for it. I will say this much , Tennessee is beautiful and so are the people.
I know I am batting a thousand but I am searching for a friend that lived at 200 e 4thn street. Her parents names were Motamora, they owned an antique store called Horseshoe bend Antiques on Main street in Bayshore. Elizabeth Eubanks, her brother Gordon, Ricky, do you happen to know them? They were there for more then 10 years.
Dune

Nashville, TN

#40 Aug 9, 2007
WOW remember the Dairy Barn ,how cool was that?

The rec center, Mars auto sore in Bay Shore.?
By the way Tmorelli above and myself are related.He is my father inlaw, we all live in Mt.Juliet Tn. His daughter and I met workign in McDonalds, boy what a riot that was. lots of good memories. We had names for all the out patients that came in from Pilgrim State.

Any way those were good times..

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greenlawn Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What happened to RObert MAyer? (Aug '13) 9 hr Carolyn 1,607
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) Fri Lol 16,781
Iconic Entenmann's factory set to shut down in NY Fri Scott 2
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) Wed Vote Zornow 6,408
Women's Fund of LI to Honor Four Long Island Women Aug 27 WFLI 1
Review: Lisa's K9 Rescue Aug 25 lisas k9 rescue f... 1
Garbage pail scavengers in levittown Aug 25 Sambee 1
•••

Greenlawn News Video

•••
•••

Greenlawn Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••