Student charged in threat incident at...

Student charged in threat incident at Greenlawn middle school

There are 24 comments on the Newsday story from Apr 30, 2008, titled Student charged in threat incident at Greenlawn middle school. In it, Newsday reports that:

A 12-year-old boy was arrested yesterday after he told classmates at a Greenlawn middle school that he created a "hit list" containing names of classmates he wanted to harm, police said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
PERFECT TOMMY

White Plains, NY

#1 Apr 30, 2008
I got a list too,
Joe

New York, NY

#2 Apr 30, 2008
I think the No tolerance issue is being taken way too far. Aresting a 12 year old. I think the school should have handled this matter first by contacting the Parents and then scheduling a meeting with the school psycholoigist. To have this boy arrested only makes things worst. Espically if this boy has been picked on in the past. Now he himself will become a future victim of violence by the hands of other students (maybe even the ones that were picking on him to begin with). Will this child ever be able to now go back to that school and feel safe? I think school officials and police need to really think before reacting so harsh.
Blueskies

Levittown, NY

#3 Apr 30, 2008
Joe wrote:
I think the No tolerance issue is being taken way too far. Aresting a 12 year old. I think the school should have handled this matter first by contacting the Parents and then scheduling a meeting with the school psycholoigist. To have this boy arrested only makes things worst. Espically if this boy has been picked on in the past. Now he himself will become a future victim of violence by the hands of other students (maybe even the ones that were picking on him to begin with). Will this child ever be able to now go back to that school and feel safe? I think school officials and police need to really think before reacting so harsh.
This child shoudl be punished for even saying something like this. Hopefully schools are educating their students that even a verbal threat will be taken seriously. Taking a meeting is not going to save children when some kid takes daddy's gun, a kitchen knife or something else to act out his/her frustration. Dylan Kleibold and Eric Harris threatened people before they actually went and killed 12 people at Columbine. I feel safer for the children, teachers & staff and myself knowing that this will not be tolerated.
whadda mean

Brooklyn, NY

#4 Apr 30, 2008
This is what happens when the Huntington Rifle and Pistol range closes down.
NYer

Jamaica, NY

#5 Apr 30, 2008
The spoiled brats we have in schools now need a good smack on the butt often when they are growing up to teach them some repect for others and to watch their mouths. Everyone wants to be a friend and not a parent, and the teachers are just as bad in that they are too sensitive to these stupid issues.

If the kid has a history, arrest. If not a belt on the butt is what is in order. Problem is most parents are to much of wimps to discipline the kids. No wonder they are animals.
mac

United States

#6 Apr 30, 2008
let
mac

United States

#7 Apr 30, 2008
If the kid said it to get attention and help with his issues, then the folks over reacted.
Now a kid will just go ahead and do it, with out giving a cry out for help
Barbara R

Wantagh, NY

#8 Apr 30, 2008
I don't know if this boy has any other issues with the school I certainly hope he has because I think arresting a 12 year old is very extreme. I don't find anything abnormal for a 12 year old to say something like that. The school should have dealt with the matter themselves. A suspension, meeting with the parents and maybe a psychiatric evaluation. He obviously is looking for attention and/or help. Ignoring the root of the problem is what leeds to "Columbine". Intollerance is not proactive it will only set fuel to the fire. Bullys are usually the root of this type of problem. Maybe the school should focus on the kids that would have been on this invisable hit list I think they might also need a pschiatric evaluation.
Barbara R

Wantagh, NY

#9 Apr 30, 2008
Blueskies wrote:
<quoted text>
This child shoudl be punished for even saying something like this. Hopefully schools are educating their students that even a verbal threat will be taken seriously. Taking a meeting is not going to save children when some kid takes daddy's gun, a kitchen knife or something else to act out his/her frustration. Dylan Kleibold and Eric Harris threatened people before they actually went and killed 12 people at Columbine. I feel safer for the children, teachers & staff and myself knowing that this will not be tolerated.
Your comment is as idealistec as your name. Blueskies?
Badtothebone

Rockville, MD

#10 Apr 30, 2008
NYer wrote:
The spoiled brats we have in schools now need a good smack on the butt often when they are growing up to teach them some repect for others and to watch their mouths. Everyone wants to be a friend and not a parent, and the teachers are just as bad in that they are too sensitive to these stupid issues.
If the kid has a history, arrest. If not a belt on the butt is what is in order. Problem is most parents are to much of wimps to discipline the kids. No wonder they are animals.

I couldn't agree with you more. The problem today is we are not allowed to discipline our kids with a belt on the butt. The school will notify child welfare and they will come knocking on our door. The kids know this and stick it in our faces.
ricky

United States

#11 Apr 30, 2008
Stupid parents make stupid kids.
Concerned LIer

New York, NY

#12 Apr 30, 2008
The arrest of a 12 year old is an outrages over reaction by the school and the police. I hope the boys parents file a lawsuit against all those resonsible for over reacting to the words of a childs. Please not that he had not means to carry out this threat. It is not a crime to speak in America yet. But it looks like it soon will be.

Would the police have used these standards against rap singers who sing kill whitey and kill the pigs.
PERFECT TOMMY

White Plains, NY

#13 May 1, 2008
I got a list too.
cat

Brooklyn, NY

#14 May 1, 2008
Out of school, into therapy-parents too.
Disturbed parents breed - disturbed children.
Wonder if he really knows what a 'hit list' is.
cat

Brooklyn, NY

#15 May 1, 2008
Barbara R wrote:
I don't know if this boy has any other issues with the school I certainly hope he has because I think arresting a 12 year old is very extreme. I don't find anything abnormal for a 12 year old to say something like that. The school should have dealt with the matter themselves. A suspension, meeting with the parents and maybe a psychiatric evaluation. He obviously is looking for attention and/or help. Ignoring the root of the problem is what leeds to "Columbine". Intollerance is not proactive it will only set fuel to the fire. Bullys are usually the root of this type of problem. Maybe the school should focus on the kids that would have been on this invisable hit list I think they might also need a pschiatric evaluation.
Arrested as a juvenile unfortunately happens alot..and isn't extreme when you hear 'hit list'..even if this kid doesn't 'really' know what a hit list is. Better into therapy then continuing along like this.
PERFECT TOMMY

White Plains, NY

#16 May 1, 2008
cat wrote:
<quoted text>
Arrested as a juvenile unfortunately happens alot..and isn't extreme when you hear 'hit list'..even if this kid doesn't 'really' know what a hit list is. Better into therapy then continuing along like this.
I am adding you to my list.
Now Ive Seen It All

Massapequa, NY

#17 May 1, 2008
Hey, the rules are the rules. It is caleed Zero Tolerance for a reason. Make a threat, get locked up. It is all really very simple. Being 12, 22 or 52, doesn't matter.
The kid should never be permitted back inside a public school again. Put him in a juvenile jail until 21 then re-evaluate keeping him there beyond that. That will get the meassage across to him and make a serious impression on other troublemakers. There is no such thing as too severe a sentance for this miscreant.
PERFECT TOMMY

White Plains, NY

#18 May 2, 2008
Now Ive Seen It All wrote:
Hey, the rules are the rules. It is caleed Zero Tolerance for a reason. Make a threat, get locked up. It is all really very simple. Being 12, 22 or 52, doesn't matter.
The kid should never be permitted back inside a public school again. Put him in a juvenile jail until 21 then re-evaluate keeping him there beyond that. That will get the meassage across to him and make a serious impression on other troublemakers. There is no such thing as too severe a sentance for this miscreant.
you are number two on my list.
Parents

Brooklyn, NY

#19 May 6, 2008
Columbine, VT, Malls, ect.

Control your ******** kids. Or someone will do it for you.

As a childless person, who remembers being a child, I can say one thing:

You think you kids are "special" , but they are animals with Nintendo DS's and huge egos.

PS> I do not have kids BECAUSE your frighten me.
PERFECT TOMMY

White Plains, NY

#20 May 6, 2008
Parents wrote:
Columbine, VT, Malls, ect.
Control your ******** kids. Or someone will do it for you.
As a childless person, who remembers being a child, I can say one thing:
You think you kids are "special" , but they are animals with Nintendo DS's and huge egos.
PS> I do not have kids BECAUSE your frighten me.
What a lamo. You live in your mom's basement I suspect.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greenlawn Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Angie Carpenter, Islip supervisor, optimistic a... (May '15) 9 hr true independent 20
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 17 hr Bruser 2,622
News Smithtown parishioners planning protest of chur... (Aug '07) May 21 Deserted in the D... 1,817
Fredrick's Restaurant May 21 annonomous 1
Huntigton murder of Melvin Cortes on mothers day (May '06) May 20 Mad 33
Cancers around Cerro Wire (Feb '08) May 19 Evelyn 11
Illegal Apartments In Levittown are Hurting Pro... May 16 Eager Beaver 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Greenlawn Mortgages