Site plan for Matinecock Court housin...

Site plan for Matinecock Court housing project OKd

There are 29 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 15, 2010, titled Site plan for Matinecock Court housing project OKd. In it, Newsday reports that:

More than three decades after it was first proposed, the Matinecock Court affordable housing development in East Northport is one step closer to being built.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Actual Resident

Norwalk, CT

#22 Jun 19, 2010
Former LIer wrote:
<quoted text>
Not that it's really any business of yours, but I moved to Florida to be closer to my elderly grandparents and because I'd had enough of the lousy weather in NY.
And as I wrote earlier, who is going to do the job of people like waitresses, child care workers, etc., if they can't afford to live in the area? No one is asking for a hand-out, just places that they can afford to live. In case
you didn't notice it, high paying jobs aren't exactly plentiful these days.
You are not a realist, you are a snob.
I live here now, Floridian. The people you mention such as grocery cart collectors, are
already living here. If you cannot afford to live on Long Island, move. There are plenty of people willing to move here if the house is priced decently. Put this housing complex on land in Lloyd Harbor or in the Huntington Bay area...then I will support it. What impact will this have on the children in the Dickinson and Pulaski Road School areas? Elwood Road is already a mess with the added stoplight by the high school. Leave the open space alone and take the fence down. This housing "help" is going into an area across the street from a gas station (now undergoing renovations), bordering two major roads, bordering an electrical station, 100 yards away from the LIRR tracks, across the street from an elementary school, and down the street from a high school.

Now you want to put in a sewage treatment plant. This will be known as "The Cancer Projects". It is more like a death sentence!
Bill Huntington

Bronx, NY

#23 Jun 19, 2010
At the meeting at the high school on Thursday night the town lawyer giving the talk said the gas station across the street from the site was going to become a convenience store,was he joking??He did not smile when he said it.(like 7-11 where day workers hang out)??Right now its closed for reconstruction could this be allowed?
Bill Huntington

Bronx, NY

#24 Jun 19, 2010
This project would have never happened if the town had not varied on the 1 acre zoning law in effect when a variance was requested.It seems to me the town will do anything to increase the tax base and why and what and who for ??
FDNY13

Brooklyn, NY

#25 Jun 21, 2010
Typical left wing agenda status..too paint people who are against something that makes no sense as some ISM...becasue we care about where we live and what we want for our children ..we are evil inconsiderant people..Why dont you elitist build low income housing in your neighborhoods..Im sure Nacny Pelosi ..and half Musilim Obama wouldnt want this in their neighborhoods..yet they know whats best for us..I did live in the projects in LIC.. Ravenswood and in the 70s it was ok there , mostly white..it is now run down and filthy just 30 years later and the people have changed..so I think its safe to say there is a truth to alot of the peoples concerns here..WHy not make it a 55 and older community ..they are on a limited income..they wouldnt burden the school system so our taxes would be left untouched in that aspect. Bottom line is the left is the racist people. They are the ones always stated the ISMs..If you could afford to live here , god bless I could care less your race collor creed religion..but if you cant ..TOO BAD.. I didnt move away from the city to again deal with the elements low income housing brings. Yes Im a NYC fireman and ive work for 15 years in some of the worse neighborhoods caring for people regardless of who they are...
Bill Huntington

Bronx, NY

#26 Jun 24, 2010
FDNY13 wrote:
Typical left wing agenda status..too paint people who are against something that makes no sense as some ISM...becasue we care about where we live and what we want for our children ..we are evil inconsiderant people..Why dont you elitist build low income housing in your neighborhoods..Im sure Nacny Pelosi ..and half Musilim Obama wouldnt want this in their neighborhoods..yet they know whats best for us..I did live in the projects in LIC.. Ravenswood and in the 70s it was ok there , mostly white..it is now run down and filthy just 30 years later and the people have changed..so I think its safe to say there is a truth to alot of the peoples concerns here..WHy not make it a 55 and older community ..they are on a limited income..they wouldnt burden the school system so our taxes would be left untouched in that aspect. Bottom line is the left is the racist people. They are the ones always stated the ISMs..If you could afford to live here , god bless I could care less your race collor creed religion..but if you cant ..TOO BAD.. I didnt move away from the city to again deal with the elements low income housing brings. Yes Im a NYC fireman and ive work for 15 years in some of the worse neighborhoods caring for people regardless of who they are...
The thing of it is the group that bought the land want to implement the proposed building plan.I am not for it but it is what it is so telling them what to build on their property does no good,our only action is to use our health,safety and other codes and laws to stop this as well as calling/mailing all your elected officials letting them know you are against it.your vote count be sure you use it in November and any other time there is an election concerning you and yours.JMHO
East Northport Resident

Amityville, NY

#27 Jul 13, 2010
There are many families who are considered to be low-income who don't work as waitresses, cashiers, gas attendants, etc. A family where one spouse teaches and the other stays home to raise their two kids also falls under the low-income guidelines. To qualify for low-income housing in Suffolk County as a family of 4, you only need to make under $80K a year as per the Housing Authority's guidelines.

I am a college graduate (who had a 3.7 program GPA, mind you) who is now staying home with my kids while I work on completing a few courses to apply to nursing school. My husband served our country in the Marine Corps and did a tour in Iraq, and now works full-time while going to school full-time. We qualify as "extremely low income" because nobody wants to hire a veteran above entry level unless they have a highly specialized skill. I am not going to work just to pay someone else to raise my children. We are upstanding citizens, we love this town, and we deserve to live here just as much as a family of 4 who makes the average $100K/year for Suffolk County.

We do rent on our own without assistance, but some people have it harder than others and I am certainly not going to judge them for that, or tell them to get out and go somewhere else.

(Not to mention, the project is supposedly geared toward those in the $50-65K range and is not supposed to be pubic housing, so really, there is no comparison to public housing where the tenants are charged little to no rent.)

And FDNY13, my father is a retired NYPD detective who worked in Manhattan South Narcotics. He has seen the lowest of low-lifes, and he and I normally have very differing opinions on just about everything, seeing as I'm a "bleeding heart liberal" and he's a "tea bagger." Surprisingly, he is in support of this project so long as priority is given to TOH residents...so don't use your service to the city as an excuse for your close-mindedness.
Unbiast Woman

Bronx, NY

#28 Jan 27, 2011
Middle Class White Woman wrote:
Who says that we should provide anybody with anything? if you can't afford to live here..you should look for housing elsewhere! no one helped me with the down payment for my house, no one helps me pay my mortgage! And no, they will NOT contribute anything positive to the neighborhood! I left NYC 2 years ago to be away from this nonsense of low income housing in Queens..this is the attitude of bleeding heart Obama liberals. Our property values will go down & crime will increase due to 50% amount of rentals available to incomes of 32,000..there goes the neighborhood!!
You call yourself a middle class white woman? The fact that you even asdded that you're white renders you an ignorant, LOW-CLASS, self serving biggot. The fact that you left Queens has nothing to do with anything because guess what...All over Long Island will be continually developed due to growing population and longer life spans. Where are you fathoming your statisctics? 50%? Is that the only pecentage you know of? Do some research before you open your mouth clown.
Unbiast Woman

Bronx, NY

#29 Jan 27, 2011
Middle Class Woman wrote:
If you loved it so much here why did you move to Florida? I am not an elitist snob..just a realist! I have lived in low-income housing growing up as a child in Queens my entire life! I worked my way up & out of the horrible environment that low-income housing is. So please, do not say that I am an elitist snob. Unless you have experienced this low-income housing, do not judge others on this board. Unfortunately, I am not responsible for the adults who chose the path of cashiers, waitresses etc...don't say they didn't have the opportunities either..I did it on my own without anyone! my husband & i worked very hard to afford this neighborhood. Nothing was given to us as a hand-out! I still believe that if you cannot afford to live here then look elsewhere! your eyes have a very liberal view of the world.
You ARE an elitist snob. What do you think gave you the oppirtunity to make your way out of there????? If low income housing wasn't available you would have been homeless, no? Oh you make me laugh with your holier than thou attitude. So you had help from your husband? So you didn't do ANYTHING on your own! All you're doing is judging others. This isn't Queens, low income housing does NOT mean crime rate goes up-once again do the research!
BDF

Huntington Station, NY

#30 Apr 27, 2016
I would not mind a project such as the one on the north side of Huntington station, all of which are owner occupied 2 story town homes with garages. What is proposed here are mostly rental units, one on top of the other with no garages... Which is likely to create a traffic issue both in and out of the complex. In addition, while I do not object to a small number of rentals (likely to be Sec 8 housing) I believe that ownership would create more stability for this new community and its surrounding areas as the occupants would have a "stake" in maintains the community.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greenlawn Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) Oct 13 Bruser 2,778
News Paying it forward Oct 10 trsh island 1
News Conflict holds up tax breaks for $5M Bay Shore ... Oct 10 rehab land 1
News Phil Boyle drops out of Suffolk sheriff's race Oct 10 cesspool 1
i want the old brentwood back (Apr '07) Oct 9 Jewel_and_Kaymac k 1,491
News Closing of solar firm causes confusion for Long... Oct 8 Solarman 1
Helicopter Circling Commack (Jul '12) Oct 8 Mall Cop 3

Greenlawn Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance