Site plan for Matinecock Court housin...

Site plan for Matinecock Court housing project OKd

There are 28 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 15, 2010, titled Site plan for Matinecock Court housing project OKd. In it, Newsday reports that:

More than three decades after it was first proposed, the Matinecock Court affordable housing development in East Northport is one step closer to being built.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Middle class white man

Morganville, NJ

#1 Jan 17, 2010
Here we go again... A friend of mine in the E NPT fire dept says with the current plan, if there was a fire, there would be a lot of casualties, roads do not allow proper equipment to get into the complex.
I foresee a lot of lawsuits by the tenants and town folk. Nice to have section 8 housing next to 2 schools, I wonder what type of model citizens will be in there.
Working Class Firefighter

East Northport, NY

#2 Jan 18, 2010
I am new to East Northport and have just been hit over the head with this news of public housing in my community. I fear a loss of value to my home and a loss to the school district. Not to mention tax costs and traffic build-up. This must be stopped if we are to protect my rights and the rights of the people who inhabit Northport and East Northport. Why should we gift our schools and services to transients who will not contribute?
Life-Long Resident

Long Beach, NY

#4 Feb 3, 2010
I don't think people really understand what exactly affordable housing is. Has anyone seen or been into the housing project that was build directly across the street from Huntington's Train Station??? It is beautifully maintained.

In today's economy and even yesterday's economy the cost of living on Long Island is not exactly affordable for many singles and families. This is an opportunity to help those people out. Does not mean they will not make positive contributions to our community.

Right now, that property is not a flourishing parcel of nature it is a weeded eye sore. My honest concern is the giant power station next door for the people who may live there not the people themselves.
Middle Class White Woman

East Northport, NY

#5 Feb 6, 2010
Who says that we should provide anybody with anything? if you can't afford to live here..you should look for housing elsewhere! no one helped me with the down payment for my house, no one helps me pay my mortgage! And no, they will NOT contribute anything positive to the neighborhood! I left NYC 2 years ago to be away from this nonsense of low income housing in Queens..this is the attitude of bleeding heart Obama liberals. Our property values will go down & crime will increase due to 50% amount of rentals available to incomes of 32,000..there goes the neighborhood!!
Former LIer

Pensacola, FL

#6 Feb 8, 2010
Middle Class White Woman wrote:
Who says that we should provide anybody with anything? if you can't afford to live here..you should look for housing elsewhere! no one helped me with the down payment for my house, no one helps me pay my mortgage! And no, they will NOT contribute anything positive to the neighborhood! I left NYC 2 years ago to be away from this nonsense of low income housing in Queens..this is the attitude of bleeding heart Obama liberals. Our property values will go down & crime will increase due to 50% amount of rentals available to incomes of 32,000..there goes the neighborhood!!
MiddleClassWoman, don't you realize that the people who bag your groceries, wait on you at a restaurant, etc., can't always afford what you can? If they all moved away, who is going to do those jobs? And how will THEY afford it?

And what's to say that renters automatically are criminals or don't take pride in where they live? You are an elitist snob, and I hope that the karma bus finds you.
Middle Class Woman

East Northport, NY

#7 Feb 8, 2010
If you loved it so much here why did you move to Florida? I am not an elitist snob..just a realist! I have lived in low-income housing growing up as a child in Queens my entire life! I worked my way up & out of the horrible environment that low-income housing is. So please, do not say that I am an elitist snob. Unless you have experienced this low-income housing, do not judge others on this board. Unfortunately, I am not responsible for the adults who chose the path of cashiers, waitresses etc...don't say they didn't have the opportunities either..I did it on my own without anyone! my husband & i worked very hard to afford this neighborhood. Nothing was given to us as a hand-out! I still believe that if you cannot afford to live here then look elsewhere! your eyes have a very liberal view of the world.
enptmom

AOL

#8 Mar 10, 2010
Life-Long Resident wrote:
I don't think people really understand what exactly affordable housing is. Has anyone seen or been into the housing project that was build directly across the street from Huntington's Train Station??? It is beautifully maintained.
In today's economy and even yesterday's economy the cost of living on Long Island is not exactly affordable for many singles and families. This is an opportunity to help those people out. Does not mean they will not make positive contributions to our community.
Right now, that property is not a flourishing parcel of nature it is a weeded eye sore. My honest concern is the giant power station next door for the people who may live there not the people themselves.
This has NOTHING to do with racism, home maintenance, etc. I actually feel sorry for the residents who will live here. They will be living on contaminated soil, next to a LIPA substation, on a crowded piece of land because housing advocates insist on putting as many people as possible on a small parcel of land, on top of a sewage treatment plant, in a community that has been against this for over 30 years. Not to mention the traffic they will face trying to get in and out of this development, because the intersection is already busy. Because they are squeezing so many units into this thing, the fire dept is seriously concerned about safety. I question the motives of Housing Help who want to look good about providing affordable housing. They are doing their clients a real disservice.
Bill Huntington

Islip, NY

#9 Mar 13, 2010
Give the TOH an up or down vote on this.Nuf Said
Bill Huntington

Islip, NY

#10 Mar 13, 2010
I meant to post give the TOH tax payers an up or down vote on this
PAT

East Northport, NY

#11 Mar 13, 2010
This makes no sense at all. With all of the empty foreclosed homes sitting around Suffolk county,This organization thinks its a great idea to build more crap.I think this has more to do with MONEY. Follow the money people. Building this would do nothing but destroy a community. Why doesn't Housing Help InC negotiate with banks on their REO properties to get people in those instead of BUILDING MORE HOUSING THAT IS NOT NEEDED. We need to investigate this Housing Help InC. I bet we could uncover the REAL reason for this project
Former LIer

Pensacola, FL

#12 Mar 15, 2010
Middle Class Woman wrote:
If you loved it so much here why did you move to Florida? I am not an elitist snob..just a realist! I have lived in low-income housing growing up as a child in Queens my entire life! I worked my way up & out of the horrible environment that low-income housing is. So please, do not say that I am an elitist snob. Unless you have experienced this low-income housing, do not judge others on this board. Unfortunately, I am not responsible for the adults who chose the path of cashiers, waitresses etc...don't say they didn't have the opportunities either..I did it on my own without anyone! my husband & i worked very hard to afford this neighborhood. Nothing was given to us as a hand-out! I still believe that if you cannot afford to live here then look elsewhere! your eyes have a very liberal view of the world.
Not that it's really any business of yours, but I moved to Florida to be closer to my elderly grandparents and because I'd had enough of the lousy weather in NY.

And as I wrote earlier, who is going to do the job of people like waitresses, child care workers, etc., if they can't afford to live in the area? No one is asking for a hand-out, just places that they can afford to live. In case you didn't notice it, high paying jobs aren't exactly plentiful these days.

You are not a realist, you are a snob.
Johnathan Dominick

Commack, NY

#13 Mar 20, 2010
So are those houseing projects going to beat built in east northport 100% and if so when are they gonna start building them
citizen p

Brooklyn, NY

#14 Mar 24, 2010
facebook has a page with all the info.
go to facebook's home page and type in "stop the
matinecock court housing project."
Chris M

Northport, NY

#15 Apr 1, 2010
This has been an ill conceived plan going back 30 years ago when it was first proposed. I cannot think of a more poorly suited location for a development of this magnitude. Trust me, the residents of Northport and East Northport will not be silent and allow this to occur in its present form, even if it takes legal action against HHI to stop it. Join our group at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stop-the-Matine...
28yrresident

Amityville, NY

#16 May 22, 2010
I would like to live in East Hampton, Old Brookville,Old Westbury.....but gee whiz I can't afford a home in those towns so should some Housing Help Corp. build my family a home there.
I agree you live where you can afford to live. This affordable housing project should be all owner occupied and offered to TOH residents first through a lottery if need be. There should be no RENTAL units, how about helping the people already renting in East Northport to afford a step up to home ownership. By the way I was a waitress for 16 of the 28 years that I have owned my East Northport home.
Chris T

West Babylon, NY

#17 May 24, 2010
enptmom wrote:
<quoted text> This has NOTHING to do with racism, home maintenance, etc. I actually feel sorry for the residents who will live here. They will be living on contaminated soil, next to a LIPA substation, on a crowded piece of land because housing advocates insist on putting as many people as possible on a small parcel of land, on top of a sewage treatment plant, in a community that has been against this for over 30 years. Not to mention the traffic they will face trying to get in and out of this development, because the intersection is already busy. Because they are squeezing so many units into this thing, the fire dept is seriously concerned about safety. I question the motives of Housing Help who want to look good about providing affordable housing. They are doing their clients a real disservice.
For more information on how to Stop Matinecock Court, go to www.stopmc.com
Chris T

West Babylon, NY

#18 May 24, 2010
28yrresident wrote:
I would like to live in East Hampton, Old Brookville,Old Westbury.....but gee whiz I can't afford a home in those towns so should some Housing Help Corp. build my family a home there.
I agree you live where you can afford to live. This affordable housing project should be all owner occupied and offered to TOH residents first through a lottery if need be. There should be no RENTAL units, how about helping the people already renting in East Northport to afford a step up to home ownership. By the way I was a waitress for 16 of the 28 years that I have owned my East Northport home.
For more information on how to stop Matinecock Court, go to www.stopmc.com
Stop Matinecock Court

Paterson, NJ

#19 May 24, 2010
We need a large turnout at the Town Council meeting at Northport High School on Jun 17th. If it appears as though nobody cares, HHI will get this project built.
Bill Huntington

Islip Terrace, NY

#20 May 27, 2010
facebook has a page with all the info.
go to facebook's home page and type in "stop the
matinecock court housing project."
Margaret

Brooklyn, NY

#21 Jun 1, 2010
Middle Class White Woman wrote:
So you claim to have lived in Queens in afforable housing and the people contributed nothing to the community. Well BS!!!!! I did too and for you to sterotype all people because they don't have the same income as you is just plain old bigotry. You think you are a part of the up-scale social class and your not. Far from it. I loved growing up in Queens, it's what kept me humble. I experienced low income housing first hand and although I had a lot of hand me downs, I loved the people there. We looked out for each other and interacted with each other... as a matter of fact more so there then I have ever seen here in E. NP. By the way I wonder where you lived in Queens. The homes there are worth way more than the one you're living in then and now. I wonder if the people living in the surrounding homes then felt the same way about your dad moving into the neighborhood with your family? Welcome to the real world and if you don't like it here, maybe you need to up your salary and move into Munsey Park. And like one poster said "Karma". Sounds like you need a big slice of humble pie.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greenlawn Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What happened to RObert MAyer? (Aug '13) 3 hr Carolyn 2,086
News Craft beer 'incubator' planned for Copiague site 5 hr Terry 1
Tarrantino murder Thu joey b 4
News State closer to intervening in struggling schools Thu Elise Gingerich 2
classmates from 1958-1961 Thu Skippy17 1
News New Principal Named For Gardiners Avenue Elemen... Aug 25 Lucky Luciano 1
News Oil company bilked out of $142,000 (Mar '07) Aug 22 Released 337
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Greenlawn Mortgages